[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite horror-themed game? Whether it's an RPG, board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0426.jpg (196KB, 1552x873px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0426.jpg
196KB, 1552x873px
Favorite horror-themed game? Whether it's an RPG, board game, or card game.
I'm gonna have to go with AFMBE for RPG and pic related for board (although it's wearing a bit thin due to lack of expansions)
>>
Other than Heresy: Kingdom Come and Vampire: Jihad I can't think of any horror card games.
>>
Don't Rest Your Head.

It's a unique style of horror. Most horror is based on the idea of powerlessness, that when it comes down to it you're almost helpless, just struggling to survive and maybe eke out a victory.

In DRYH? The players are the most powerful things in the setting. They can roll more dice than the GM can, by RAW. The catch? Every dice beyond your base amount makes the chances of an unpleasant side effect of the roll more likely.

It's never quite as bad as failing, of course, but it's still bad, and dealing with the consequence of one roll can lead to another, and another consequence, and another and another...

It's a wonderful system to run as a GM, because all you really need to do there is sit there and smile and watch the players inevitably destroy themselves, because all that power will go to their heads and make them self destruct in ways more horrifying than anything you could assert on them.

It's not entirely without hope though. They might find an exit point before the end of the spiral, they can have chances to catch their breath... But there's always that chance. To push on a little closer, to get just a little closer to their goals... And a little closer to oblivion.

It's a rules light game, but a clever one, actually making use of the nature of the system and doing a lot with a very basic set of mechanics.

The supplement, Don't Lost Your Mind, is also one of the best supplements for a game ever made.
>>
>>54042868
This is the first time I've been interested in that game!
>>
File: 1494181957509.gif (879KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494181957509.gif
879KB, 500x400px
Sounds weird, but I'm super stoked to try running a creeping woodsy horror game using Ryuutama. I've run games using AFMBE, Pathfinder, Fate, Dread, and 5e. The players always seem to lose hope and give up or an hero before very long. Everyone seems to be having fun, but I'd like things to end on a somewhat more pleasant note next time. I'm hoping the lighthearted atmosphere and tone help keep up the players (and their characters) spirits and helps act as a soft foil for the spooky stuff. Thoughts?
>>
>>54044900
That sounds pretty cool! Isn't the black dragon kinda scary?
>>
I've had great times with cthulhu and cathulhu. Most of the time I never even knew what we were up against, but it was hell of creepy.

VtM is nice, but not as scary most of the times. It's more about becoming one with the darkness, about intrigue and cruelty and moral degradation.

I tried The End of the World once, but it didn't go far. Probably it was due to the GM being inexperienced and the players having too clear expectations of what kind of zombie movie this should be.

>>54044900
Clearly not my kind of thing. If I go for horror, I want it to be either totally desperation monstrous, or otherwise so ridiculously grotesque it's funny. Having a light hearted relief when trying to build a dark atmosphere ruins it for me. But if that's what your players need, well, give it a try.
>>
>>54049784
Wait, cathulhu is actually creepy? I thought it was just a parody.
>>
>>54050996
It does have a lot of the rules from the original game so, if you try, and once you're past the awkward "yay I'm a cat" moment, you can actually go dark places. It's also canon Lovecraft. You get to visit all those dark worlds humans would never understand and learn stuff happening behind their backs...
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.