[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take to start making a living on /tg/ design? Recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: dots.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dots.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
What would it take to start making a living on /tg/ design? Recently went full NEET and have been filling out some time with masturbating working on some /tg/ related projects. I think this is something I would enjoy working with, but what would the best way to go to achieve this be? What do I need? Would the easiest thing be to start my own company?
>>
>>54040328
>What do I need?
money
>Would the easiest thing be to start my own company?
file for an llc
>>
First of all, make other plans. There is no guarantee of a job in the games industry, traditional or otherwise. It is small, competitive and incredibly capricious. It's growing, it's a good time to get into it, but you're still in for a really hard time.

If you're serious about it? Treat it seriously. This is no longer a hobby, it's a job your assigning yourself. Set deadlines, set goals, do market research to see how similar games are doing, why they succeeded or they failed. Network, find people you can work with who have different but complimentary skillsets to you- Editors, artists and graphic designers are a necessity.

Pick one project, and focus on it. Don't start with that one big dream idea you think could change the world, because you'll never get anywhere. Pick something small, simple and straightforward, and work on it. Find people to playtest it with, online games are great for RPGs, tabletop simulator is great for board games, and take the feedback seriously. If everyone tells you your favourite mechanic is trash, your favourite mechanic is fucking trash.

As for making it a job, at the moment there are two main options- Crowdfunding, or getting a job in the industry. The latter is near impossible. Not totally impossible, but near impossible. Most of the games companies you know are either so small they can't afford new people, or so big they've got huge numbers of people applying for a tiny number of positions.

Crowdfunding is the other option, but it's nearly as hard. We're past the days where you can get by on a shitty looking little Kickstarter campaign. Building buzz and raising awareness for the game, having good high quality art assets and prototypes to show off, as well as a general high level of professionalism and quality are necessary if you want people to trust and back your game.

This is just a drop in the bucket. It's way, way more complex than this, as I'm learning as I try to do the same thing.
>>
>>54040406
This is a great answer, thanks! I'll think about it, and talk to the people at the NEET organization I'm going to see if they have something as well.

It's the part about turning a hobby into a job that scares me the most, though
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.