[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings /tg/. Some of my friends have been showing interest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1485027257362.jpg (63KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1485027257362.jpg
63KB, 500x667px
Greetings /tg/. Some of my friends have been showing interest in playing some sort of tabletop game, and I've been getting some less than subtle hints that I should be running the thing. I've never done anything like this before, what's the best way to learn other than just doing it and embarassing myself?
>>
>>54028837
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

I've been binging his videos for the past few days, about halfway through. He offers some good advice, although I do disagree with him at times, mostly over styles of GMing. He also has some serious SJW leanings but it doesn't affect the videos and he mostly doesn't talk about it.

His advice is also applicable to more games than just D&D. There's not much D&D-specific advice he gives. I wish he'd talk about other games more (so far he's only brought up other tabletop games once), but I suppose that's inevitable when your audience comes from Critical Roll.

What sort of game do you/your players want to run? What got them interested?
>>
>>54028974
I'm not really sure where the idea of playing came from, but I'd imagine they'd want a more light-hearted game. I'm gonna start watching these now, thank you so much!
>>
>>54029063
If they're jokey and light-hearted about it, put them in a pretty simple fight that might challenge them, give them a simple puzzle, and some good loot after a trap.
This applies to most games and systems, whether the trap starts the fight or the loot is a plot hook, the formula stays pretty much the same.
>>
>>54029063
No problem. He gives this advice too, but I just want to emphasize it:

Be sure to ask your prospective players about why and what they want to play.

Be sure that you work the game into your schedule as a weekly thing, instead of working with schedules every week to find a day to play on.

Everybody's new, so they probably have no experience beyond watching a gaming podcast or a D&D episode on TV. That takes off a lot of pressure since your first attempt is going to be fun just because it's new and exciting.

Even though they're your friends, you may have people with very different styles of play, and the game doesn't work out because of it; don't feel bad, it really isn't anyone's fault. You either need to get lucky or really try to get a gaming group that can play together.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.