[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel that I'm not the best GM, my games are probably full

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

I feel that I'm not the best GM, my games are probably full of too many jokes from both me and the players, not enough forced roleplay/out of character banter, I'm not a giant rules Nazi (I know them well enough, but I get tripped up sometimes and have to reference things sometimes).

I've always been really good at flying by the seat of my pants, so I pretty much let the players do whatever they want story wise so I don't plan out more than a session or two ahead and just roll with their punches. I have laid out a basic "quest" for them with vague repercussions, but if they decide tomorrow that they don't want to do it I'll be able to make some shit up on the spot and make who they fucked with the bads later. I'm flexible. I feel like its a good quality to have as a GM.

But I've played with people and I know there's a lot of people who's entire point of tabletop is to min/max their characters, break shit, and "win". Frankly I just want my players to just have fun. They keep coming back, so I figure they are, but I feel like I am failing them. I keep track of all of our antics but I can't ever see this game being "insightful" or "deep" or "to be the epic of all epics" ever. But I don't know if my players would want that, and I would feel like a tool for asking in some regards.

What do? Maybe try peppering in some more "deep" shit and test the waters? Or just keep with the fun times and happy banter?
>>
>>54028114

Start a new campaign, and do fun times and happy banter for the first few sessions, but slowly drop hints that not all is at seems, having a sudden and terrible realization, all too late, and the rest of the campaign is based around trying to undo what they could've prevented.
>>
>>54028149

I don't really want to restart this campaign since we haven't hit the year mark of this one and we already restarted after shit happened. Plus someone is currently away for the summer and I don't want her to come back and me go "sorry the old game is dead bye"
>>
Kys
>>
>>54028114
You sound plenty decent -- the worst mistake one can make as a GM is being inflexible for the sake of telling some "grand and epic tale." I've had GMs who've tried to do that, and actively think of the players as an "enemy" to the story they want to tell, because players goof off and don't do as he wants.

People quit playing in his games, or if they stick around, it's out of pity or they live with him and have little other choice.

Anywho, good on you that you want to improve. I say go ahead and test the waters, and observe how your players react to new styles you adapt into your games.

If you're truly as good at improvising as you claim, you can easily wrap up "deeper" plot threads that don't seem to be working and back
to what you know does.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.