[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welcome to GURPS General! /gurpsgen/ Last thread: >>53943919

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 26

File: GURPS General.pdf (340KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS General.pdf
340KB, 1x1px
Welcome to GURPS General! /gurpsgen/

Last thread: >>53943919

One of the main discussions last thread was about the Murderstroke sword technique and how to represent it in GURPS. I have found an official answer. On MA74 in the description for the Hook technique it states:
>Some swordfighting schools even taught (gauntleted!) fighters to
grab their weapon by the blade and hook with the pommel
and crosspiece. Swords wielded this way use the Axe/Mace or Two-Handed Axe/Mace skill, and are unbalanced.

Whether this is case closed is up to you guys!
>>
>>54027456
Doh! Fucked up the quote.
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96KB, 519x370px) Image search: [Google]
1447806835818.png
96KB, 519x370px
>>54027491
>>
File: [sweat].gif (88KB, 457x402px) Image search: [Google]
[sweat].gif
88KB, 457x402px
>>54027526
>>
File: 1454633951620.png (87KB, 406x314px) Image search: [Google]
1454633951620.png
87KB, 406x314px
>>54027551
>>54027526
>>
>>54027456
Goddamn, vindication on an anonymous Korean basket-weaving BBS is better than sex.
>>
File: Capture.png (237KB, 653x616px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
237KB, 653x616px
Is Rank underpriced? Would it be more balanced if buying one kind of Rank that gave you authority over someone with a different kind of Rank required you to pay the full cost of the other guy's Rank in addition to your own?
>>
>>54027662
The thing with Rank is that your game master *really* has to allow you to have it. Thus it's balanced in the sense that you can only get more Rank if you meet conditions that the GM set. It's not one of those advantages that you just freely buy without justification.
>>
>>54027662
>>54027726

Rank works fine as it is, though I'd note that it really, really depends on what your rank is in.

Nearly every rank is going to require you use it only for the organization and not for personal gain. Most also come with a defacto duity.
>>
>>54028195
>Rank works fine as it is, though I'd note that it really, really depends on what your rank is in.
The fuck dies this mean? "It works, but only in this undefined hypothetical example "?!
>>
Is it okay, as a GM, to require my players to buy a certain level of Status if they want to buy a certain level of Wealth? As in, in this particular society, you can't really amass Wealth without having the corresponding Status, or in this particular society Wealth automatically confers Status.
>>
>>54028263
Yes. In general, what the GM says goes, but that is double true for stuff like Rank/Status/Wealth seeing as how those three interact is 100% setting-dependent. If the culture of your setting ties income to social standing and it's impossible to be rich but not upper-crust, you need to make sure that is reflected on the PCs' character sheets.

It's up to the GM to enforce logical characters; if the setting requires you to have Trait X to also have Trait Y, it is completely within your authority to demand the players follow that. It doesn't matter if it's a hard requirement (e.g. in a theocracy, Religious Rank is a prerequisite for many social advantage and/or removing a Social Stigma) or soft requirement (e.g. in a not-quite theocracy, priests are paid well and widely respected; if you buy Religious Rank, you HAVE to also buy corresponding levels of Wealth and Status because poor priests not part of the upper crust don't exists and simply aren't a thing that happens in-universe).
>>
>>54028256

Sorry.

Rank works fine, but it's not Status or Wealth. You are always going to need Rank (IN WHAT?) at X.

And that "IN WHAT?" makes all the difference. Rank (Military) is a very different beast from Rank (Land Use Commission)
>>
>>54028263
Wealth already gives a +1 to +3 to status depending on the level (see Chapter 1's section on the subject). So take that in account if you require a certain level of Status to be purchased (or omit the rule entirely).
>>
>>54028263
>>54028439

I avoid hard and fast rules but I do want an explanation of a character's Wealth, Status, ect. I don't like high Wealth without Status in many games, as it's hard to justify a huge income without some kind of good family backing you up.
>>
File: 1493365731844.jpg (124KB, 656x723px) Image search: [Google]
1493365731844.jpg
124KB, 656x723px
In a TL5 low-magic fantasy setting, what would an entire race with Perfect Balance be like? What would its effects be on their tactics, strategy, architecture, and defenses?

Pic related. Keep in mind that Perfect Balance doesn't affect bad footing penalties (I think?) or HT rolls for knockdown.
>>
Could someone explain the Visual Signals section of Low-Tech on pp. 48-49?
>>
So, how do you gurpsfriends feel about the controversy on sandboxes in the latest Pyramid thread?
>>
>>54030320
What controversy? Link?
>>
>>54030320
Explain?
>>
>>54030343
>>54030349
It's the official thread for the #104 Pyramid, here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=150625

Basically, Christopher Rice/Ghostdancer used "Sandbox is a lie!" as a subtitle in one of the articles in the issue, and overall structured it in a biased way against sandboxes as a viable style (which is based on his heated discussions with other forumites who play sandboxes):

> When the campaign is a “sandbox,” the GM quickly finds out he has to do more than broad strokes. He needs multiple possibilities prepped, which means an increase in prep time for the game itself, which can lead to GM burnout, and then nobody is happy.

Some say it's a stupid meme joke, some got offended because Ghostdancer rather actively opposed this style of play on forums before and just contributes to spreading prejudices around the style.
>>
>>54030429
Sounds like a non-issue really. It's a result of having a publication like Pyramid having different authors - you're going to have to deal with differing viewpoints on how to GM. As long as said author can provide logical points for his opinions, no matter how biased, I suppose. I have to give it a read to see what the article is like.
>>
>>54030429
I prefer sandbox style games and he isn't wrong. It requires a metric fuckton of work compared to any other type of game if you want to make it fun or compelling.

My current game isn't and it's actually the first time GURPS has clicked for my group. Which is a beautiful experience.
>>
>>54030429
I'd have to agree with him on the fact that sandboxes take a shitload of GM work, but if I was afraid of that, I wouldn't be playing GURPS in the first place. I find that GURPS actually helps me in setting up sandbox games, since the supplements and Pyramid articles are very good.

Also, sandbox games require a certain kind of group to be enjoyable, one that can self-motivate and enjoys exploring and getting immersed in a world.

In the end, I feel like sandboxes are an all or nothing proposition. If the GM puts in the effort, and the group enjoys sandboxes and likes exploring, and the GM's setting clicks with the group and they become invested, then a sandbox game can be an amazing experience. On the other hand if even one of those elements is not present, if the setting is shit or if the players can't get invested or are unwilling to take stuff seriously (as happens often: "It's just a game, bro") or the GM gets lazy and doesn't prepare and can't improvise, then the game will be a shitshow for everyone.

That's why, automatic sandbox games are my favorite games to run and play, but I don't do get to play them often because a lot of stars have to align for the game to be enjoyable.
>>
>>54030671
I'm okay running sandbox games if the players are okay with and understand that they aren't going to get a bespoke story-line, encounters and challenges when they pick where to go on a map.

You get away from my prepared materials and story, it's going to be random encounters and on the fly creation that is, by necessity, lower quality then stuff I can put a few hours into preparing during the week.

Had to explain this slowly to a player that, in an After The End game, he insisted on ignoring the plot hooks and going north for no reason. After revealing hex after ten-mile across hex of desert wasteland he complained because he was out of water, out of ammo and all he'd found was mutated animals and scavenging areas he lacked the skills/carrying capacity to use, like a few old cars and a two hundred yard spool of barbed wire.
>>
>>54031135
My favorite way to run sandbox games is to have stuff happening independent of player actions, all over the world. I usually have a rough outline of what's happening where at the time and why, and the players can choose to get involved or not.

Although I usually start sandbox games with a bit of a railroad to introduce the players to the world and hope that they jump off as soon as they're comfortable. Going straight into sandbox mode has never worked for me.
>>
>>54031135
>>54031189
Personally I just give the players plot hooks and reasons to go to any direction they like, even while there's usually a greater plot going on along the way that they usually get involved in.
>>
>>54028779
Anybody? I wanted to ask here instead of the Discord so there would be some conversation.

>>54029957
An SM+0 human can see out to three miles, so two humans can see each other within six miles. Make a vision roll at relevant modifiers (+10 for deliberate signal, Size Modifier, modifiers from signal types, darkness, etc). Is that what you needed explained?
>>
>>54028779
>>54032395
Give them Brachiator and make them a sentient race of orangutans that swing around on trees and rope bridges. They can favor ambush tactics and skirmishing and probably in terms of grand strategy employ the Fabian doctrine. Give them big ol' stone temples on mountains in jungles and treetop houses, and for defense they can have scouts and the fact that it's hard to invade a jungle.
>>
>>54028779
If that's their only difference, we wouldn't see too much of a difference in battlefield tactics as they can't really capitalize on their gift in an open area. They may be able to eke out an edge if attacking structures or built-up urban areas, but it won't be the norm.

Architecture would be bonkers though, or at least military architecture would be bonkers (civilian buildings would probably be more human-like for those with physical disabilities and/or the elderly that may have difficulty crossing narrow planks). To a human, a lot of it would look like someone installed handrails but forgot to build the floor. Tall buildings and towers may be a latticework of rails and scaffolds with no floor between the ground floor and the roof. Buildings' footprints may be smaller as well as the need for wide stairs is removed.
>>
>>54032762
I want to keep other advantages out of the discussion and just focus on Perfect Balance, as cool as sentient orangutans may be. Fabian strategy makes sense, though. The advantage is definitely more suited to defenses over offense.

>>54032917
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Describing it as having installed handrails but forgetting the floor is a nice way to describe it. Shame it can't be capitalized offensively on typical battlefields.

Thanks for the replies. What sparked the question was looking at the Elf template on B316. They have Perfect Balance, which piqued my curiosity since I hardly ever see the advantage.
>>
>>54033026
I'd always imagined this led to the whole "living in massive trees thing" where they can kick around in the branches as if it were nothing, and since it's innate at birth, they can raise families up there safely.

Also, this might lead to taller spire like structures, sharp angled floors and other such things a normal man couldn't walk across without concentration.
>>
>>54033111
One thing that I always have trouble remembering is that Perfect Balance is not Light Walk; you can keep your balance on anything basically regardless of how thin it is... but it still has to be able to support your weight.
>>
Does anyone have Cthulhu mythos monster stats?
>>
>>54033493
Truly; but I've raised children, and now I have this terrifying mental image of them doing their learning to walk upright stage a hundred feet up in a treehouse...
>>
>>54027456
Is the Warrior book any good?
>>
i'm a little new to /gurpsgen/, is there a link to the discord? Didn't see it in the OP PDF.
>>
>>54035710
The discord is separate from /GURPSGEN/. No piracy, no bad words, etc. allowed on there. You can find a link on the GURPS reddit.
>>
>>54035734
I still can't believe they banned swearing because it's "semi-official". GURPS has adult content, not in the forefront and it's not the point, but the base set has like four purely sexual skills in it.
>>
File: 1472927942932.png (36KB, 516x488px) Image search: [Google]
1472927942932.png
36KB, 516x488px
>>54035922
>>
>>54035922
Apparently some of the dads in the server (of which there are a surprising amount) have their kids in there, or something like that. I have no idea why you would let kids onto an internet forum when you don't want them to hear words like shit and fuck. It's stupid.
>>
>>54030320
>>54030429
From my experience, everyone wants to play sandboxes, but no one knows how to GM them - or how to play them, for that matter. It's always ends up like this:
>players: ugh what do we do we are lost
>GM: ugh what do you do goddamit I had something okay go kill some goblins and there's a dungeon for you
>>
>>54036001
Are RPG dads basically soccer moms?
>>
What is the most unconventional build you have ever seen?
>>
>>54036317
A sentient cat that operated a M2 Browning.
>>
>>54036360
Oh
>>
>>54036360
What the wat
>>
>>54036317
Does "lazy piece of shit throws everything into one skill/advantage" count as unconventional?
>>
>>54036317
A sentient ad that became psychic, went viral, and basically became a contagious meme spreading the virtues of Morgan Motors©, The Smoothest Ride This Side of the Belt®
>>
>>54036317
I mean I've got nothing on >>54036481, but a pulp era wonderdog ace pilot that claims to have shot down the Red Baron despite his feet not even reaching the pedals. A shell-shocked sadistic psychopath hiding under an outwardly adorable shell.
>>
>>54036376
>>54036432
He had to have me reload it for him, and he had to aim with a small joystick, and it was a stationary weapon he had me set up beforehand, but he fired it.
>>
>>54036541
that's adorable
>>
>>54036541
Why did you have a machine gun cat? Why was he a better shot than you?
>>
Could you do a one punch man campaign? How would you do it?
>>
>>54038657
80 points in fist
>>
>>54038508
We don't talk about it.
>>
>>54039072
don't forget 80p in hand(the other one)
>>
>>54038508
>>54038437
Well. I was playing an engineer/demolition type that used drones, so I stayed behind with him half the time and we got to be friends. He also walked into my room one day to demand, in the player's near perfect imitation of English RP, that I jerry rig a stolen M8 Greyhound so he could operate it solo.
>>
So I'm trying to build a Planetary Awareness style power that would basically let me be aware of everything going on on the planet when I focus, barring countermeasures and such. I've tried to build this two ways:

A.) Shit tons of vision powers. 360 Vision with the Panoptic 2 Enhancement, tons of Telescopic, tons of Penetrating Vision, Hyperspectral Vision all that jazz. Relatively easy to figure out how many levels of each I'd need.

B.) Para-Radar with tons of Enhancements out to the range of the planet, with extra Penetrating at 50% per level along with a slew of other things.

Both of these should work but in slightly different ways, my concern and issue is now with comprehending it all. I'm assuming at baseline human mental faculties it'd be the equivalent of playing Where's Waldo the size of the planet whenever I want to find anything, something that could not be accomplished in any reasonable amount of time. However I really don't know where to start, all Sense rolls mention is you roll to see something "interesting", well fuck man there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the world. I'm thinking multiple levels of Compartmentalized Mind with Massively Parallel would be the way to go, but I have no idea how many I'd need or what is a reasonable amount. How much area does a single Sense roll cover? Enhanced Tracking also seems to make sense but it only mentions Aim and Evaluate though I guess I'd be "aiming" at various objects? I'm not sure where to go from here.
>>
>>54041134
Buy an Ally AI to do that shit for you. JARVIS it up anon.
>>
>>54041173
While I would like to keep this as part of my natural character, even if it was an AI I'd still need to know how to mechanize it to see how expensive it is.
>>
Well A.) has the problem of not being able to see through the planet. They're curved, and it'd be cost prohibitive to buy enough penetrating vision to see through tens of thousands of kilometers of rock and metal.

The reason I suggest AI is so that you can slip into data nets via hacking fuckery and find the people who know what you're looking for instead of spending time looking yourself.
>>
>>54041243
Penetrating Vision was a big issue with it however I looked around on the forums for quite a bit and found both PK and Kromm say that letting Penetrating Vision double at each level so, 6", 1', 2', 4', etc, would make it more in line with other vision abilities at it's current cost. With that allowed I think it's only 27 or 28 levels of Penetrating Vision necessary to see through the Earth.

It no doubt would be cheaper with AI but it doesn't fit the character.
>>
>>54041134
Note that this just gives you line of sight on the whole world. You'd still be able to focus your attention on one object at a time. You'd be in the postion of a man standing in a stadium with 20,000 other people in his line of sight, seeing useful details about any one of them, or even understanding broad trends about what they are doing, could take some serious IQ rolls.
>>
>>54043783
That's what I'm trying to figure out, given the ability to see all of Earth with no penalties, how do you comprehend it all? I don't necessarily want to literally know everything that's going on at all times, but I would want to be find/see something if I decide to focus on it. How do I filter how all the extra stuff and find Waldo out of 7,000,000,000 people in a reasonable amount of time?
>>
>>54043881
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=368042#post368042 This what you want?
>>
Is there an advantage that allows me to touch insubstantial things? I need one for a RPM spell
>>
>>54044078
There are rules in Power Ups 4, pp 9-10, for modifying unarmed attacks.
For most people it would be barely a 1 point advantage.
>>
>>54044194
Thanks!
>>
>>54043881
I'd say a trained searcher could look at 5 people a second or so and determine if it's the person they are looking for or not, with good line of sight on them.

In that case, you'd find who you were looking for in about 22 years on average, and 44 years if the guy you were looking for was the last one you checked (Doh!).
>>
>>54044194
>>54044283
So would you model a spell that makes a guy's longsword at ST 14 as:

Ghostblade
Greater Destroy Spirit (5) + Altered Traits, Affects Insubstantial (4) + Duration, 1 hour (3) for a total energy cost of 36 points
>>
I am having issues grasping str scores or generally stats.

How much str an average bear would have for example? Or dexterity a cat?

I always feel I over or under shoot it.
>>
>>54045134
B456 has bears and cats.
>>
>>54045134
What >>54045237 said. Also there's a website known as Animalia in GURPS which has TONS of stats for animals.

http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/animalia.html
>>
What's a good general surface area I can use for various shield sizes? The only UT shield is the riot shield, and I want to let people strap slabs of UT steel on their forearm.
>>
>>54046930
Shield dimensions for most shields are available on the internet. You should be able to use that for weight and cost.
>>
>>54041134
What's the name of the remote viewing/scrying Advantage? Just use that, and use Limitations so that you can only see out of a camera on an electronic device. Bam, done.
>>
>>54047018
Then use Low-Tech to determine which size category the shield falls in to?
>>
>>54047296
Yup. IIRC low tech companion 2 deals with shields a bunch.
>>
Are their any advantages that are good in excess?

Like super jump and wealth, the more you take the more powerful they are
>>
Could I spend 300 points to make a glass cannon dude.
100 points undying 2
100 points enchanced move 5
100 points super jump 10

And just slam people, would this work? Would it be stupid?
>>
>>54050001
Is there a way to spawn shields? If I shield breaks while I am slamming with it do I take damage?
>>
>>54050001
Yes, it's stupid, and for multiple reasons beyond it being a gimmick build that appears exceptionally difficult to justify in most settings. Mechanically, you're main issues are that you're inaccurate (rolling against DX 10) and you're likely going to need months of healing between attempts (rolling against HT 10 to recover 1 HP every day when you've got a TON of healing you'll need to do). Additionally, Enhanced Move only boosts jump distance if you have a running start, making it a situational booster; instead, just pump up Super Jump some more and/or spend them on Regeneration, possibly with an Accessibility limitation so it's only on when "dead" to let you cheaply recover for another "shot."
>>
Got a new group startijng up made of people who have played RPGs in the past and want to get back into it. We're splitting of into subgroups as there's quite a few of us and multiple people could GM. I'd like to introduce them to GURPS (They're open to it) but I'm not sure what to run. A like of gritty fantasy is definitely a theme which is great because I love GMing gritty (I use The Last Gasp). But my head is full of TL9 at the moment. What gritty, D&D type fantasy type thing could I run, /gurpsgen/? I need inspiration. Not dungeon fantasy though, these people like some plot. is it time for iron gurps?
>>
>>54050001
>not using alternate form to literally make your power be "I am a glass cannon"
>>
>>54050847
What if I plan to bump jumping to 20?
Shouldn't I have good chances of hitting someone?
You are right if I boost super jump to 20 I go stupid fast(3,000,000) making me a flying death machine.

I should get Regen that triggers on death, as well as altered time rate, and better Vision to see the people I am jumping at
>>
>>54048114
Any mind affecting thing that takes Area effect, with more area effect. It's not that costly to be able to use emotion control on the entire planet.
>>
>>54050960
Can you use Jump to hit?
>>
>>54051059
Flying tackle, b372
>>
>>54050960
Take telescopic vision rather than just many levels of acute vision. A bit of acute will help too of course.
>>
>>54051307
I should get enhanced time rate, to let me actually see things going way faster than the speed of sound
>>
>>54050575
>Is there a way to spawn shields?
Snatcher
>If I shield breaks while I am slamming with it do I take damage?
Yes, you take the excess damage that overpenetrates.
>>
Once you are his target there is no running from the JUMPMAN!!

With super jump 20, undying 2, regen(extreme) only when dead. He jumps miles, moves faster then the speed of sound, there is no material even theoretically possible to stop him.

Dun dun dun
>>
I'm planning out a post-apocalyptic game, and I want ammo to be super scarce, with what few bullets the PCs have, basically being immensely valuable, both in a literal sense as currency, and in that a shot from a gun can basically just take an enemy out of a fight, especially if it's a shotgun or rifle.

What's a good way to allow them to actually *use* the bullets they find, without having to invest in a skill(Guns) they'll be using super rarely. I could probably just say they get to pick one Guns skill to get at level X for free, but I'm not sure if there's a more elegant solution, I might be missing.
>>
>>54052122
Give them a campaign guns skill, or wrap it up in a Survival Talent for the post apoc.
>>
What's actually in Bio Tech? Is it fantasy or is there any real stuff in there?
>>
>>54052583
It's a collection of good bits on a closely related theme.
Some of it is current and past existing tech, like birth control, surgery, antibiotics, etc. are included and explained. There's even a section on lobotomy.
A lot of it is well-research sci-fi and deals with things like genetically engineered plants and how they might revolutionize the food industry, the reasoning behind why we might create genetically engineered "superhuman 2.0" or an intelligent slave-race, and the social, political and even religious implications, hybrid organic computers and how they might work, designed diseases and the threats they pose, genetic adaptations to the human genome in order to survive space, and so on.
Then there's more stuff that's a bit more out-there. "Wetware" for your cyberpunk campaigns and such. Some of it is valid, like cloned, vat-grown replacement organs, while some of it leans closer to fantasy with things like tentacle-arm grafts.
Then there's a short bit of outright fantasy. Alternative biotech, magical biotech, steampunk biotech, biotech horror and what have you. Frankenstein's monster, Herbert West - Reanimator and the like.
>>
>>54052583
>>54053160
Magic biotech in particular is frightening, there's a spell that gives you a +10 to your genetic engineering rolls. Makes some really incredibly crazy stuff possible if you're using both tech and magic.
>>
>>54052122
Alternate GURPS II or III has alternate weapon categories for guns that puts it down to like 3 skills.
>>
>>54052122
Well, they ARE Easy skills, so one point gets them to the DX level and has every other specialty default to DX-2. I don't feel that that's a huge investment, but if you do, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to let everyone roll vs DX to shoot the same way they can roll DX to punch instead of having to invest in Brawling.
>>
Bump. I remember buying the sourcebook back in the 90's and playing through the tutorial adventure. I liked those kind of solo adventures, but the majority were poorly done.
>>
How much superjump do I need to get into low earth orbit, considering jump 20?
>>
if you don't have any points in guns, would that represent someone who has seen guns on TV but never fired one, or would it be more like a toothless peasant from the dark ages who's never even heard of a firearm
>>
>>54056496
Former. Defaults, B170~ish. If you've no knowledge of something, you cannot make a skill roll for it.

If you want to represent the levels between default and a single point, use the Dabbler perk from Power-Ups Perks.
>>
>>54056542
There's also giving access to options. Someone that has fired at the range a few times and taken a few lessons doesn't have a point in Guns, but they probably know enough to actually Aim, AOA (Determined), brace the pistol with the off-hand, etc. while someone who's only experience with firearms is action flicks and cowwadoody would be firing unaimed and possibly even unsighted (if they are using the sights, it may not be properly).
>>
>>54056753
Very good point. You know that Randy Stair spree shooter recently? He uploaded videos of himself "practicing" with a shotgun. Fired from the hip. He couldn't hit shit from about ten feet away. Definitely working at default with the least possible amount of knowledge of guns.
>>
Is there a list of templates somewhere? Fanmade ones especially, since the official ones aren't really what I'm looking for. The Action templates are close, but they're all a bit too high powered for my game.

I'm trying to run a Firefly/Bebop inspired campaign in a custom setting, but all of my players are new to GURPS so I want to make character creation as smooth as possible.
>>
>>54057973
Gurps Spess.

Has some con-men, criminal, and LEO templates. You could combine them with other, existing lenses, make up your own, or whatever.

I've also contemplated using some of those templates for SS13 inspired stuff purely because of the criminal versatility embodied in many crew members, and especially the infamous greytider. That and the potential robustness. (Or lack thereof. There is versatility. You can be robust/devious in different ways that make more sense for game balance in Gurps. Or you can be super high point total and be Cuban Pete/"some robust asshole").

I feel like this would work well because MOST of the crew really could be more or less realistic, or as tough as was required, but the players could be the fucking monsters some veteran players are in SS13. "Yeah, I know how to do everything. EVERYTHING. Did I mention I'm a clinical sociopath?"
>>
>>54057973
Use Action and change a few skills to represent the setting (mostly just changing the Wheelman template to be focused of piloting a spaceship rather than driving a car).

If that doesn't work for you, the forums has an unofficial list of templates stickied at the top. It just gives the name, book, and page number, though.
>>
>>54057973
>>54058138
Bonus points: All of the Space templates are already in the latest version of GCS, so you don't even need the book.
>>
Let's build a Dark Souls-esque magic system.
>>
>>54058246
>YOU DIED
>>
>>54058246
Dark Souls magic is vancian casting. The two ways to do that are charms in RPM, or slapping Limited Use on advantages that only recharge at a specific recharge place, which probably won't be satisfying for a game as the wizard needs to make pilgrimage every time they want to cast more spells, and will question why they can't just take a recharge place with them.
>>
>>54058138
You can hardly consider me a veteran but I know how to do most things, the thing is I'm about as robust as a wet sock, I have died to monkeys a bunch of times

The thing about ss13 that is so great is that it is really brutal, if you don't shoot first you die, it's kind of like gurps
>>
>>54058246
I remember someone posting a simple system. Basically, you had a 1-point Innate Attack with No Wounding and Limited Uses; those acted as your spell slots. Various spell effects were Modular Abilities that required time and specific materials to switch around (i.e. resting at a bonfire and having the spell/miracle) and all had Follow-Up (or maybe Link), meaning the spell effects would ride on the non-damaging IA to deliver its effects.

If you're interested just in converting DS spells to GURPS though, Modular Abilities alone would suffice; each slot is a spell slot, all advantages granted by MA *have* to have Limited Uses (check Powers for how this affects price), and MA itself will have its points brought down by requiring preexisting spells/miracles to be in the character's possession and taking a long time to switch them around.
>>
>>54058194
Hurp derp that's what I get for breezing through a post on a phone; managed to miss literally everything beyond the words "templates" and "Firefly/Cowboy Bebeop." My apologies.
>>
>>54030429
The reaction was a bit overblown. That's coming from someone who usually finds his articles to be useless because our styles of GMing clash.
>>
File: WWI Fighter Ace.png (466KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
WWI Fighter Ace.png
466KB, 1024x1024px
>>54036518
Dude.
>>
>>54058510
Interesting
>>
File: 1178784609728.jpg (381KB, 1600x1069px) Image search: [Google]
1178784609728.jpg
381KB, 1600x1069px
After the End game where players start with zero equipment, yes or no? I like the idea for the savage for everything option.
>>
File: alpha_centauri.jpg (74KB, 300x380px) Image search: [Google]
alpha_centauri.jpg
74KB, 300x380px
>tfw I will never play the GURPs version of this game

;_;
>>
>>54062920
>Zero equipment.

Teleported in, buck naked, like in the Terminator movies?

Whatever random shit you had in your pockets & maybe backpack right before the bombs hit?

Primitive tribals with scrap clothes & homemade hunting weapons?

I'm not gonna depends on the setting here, but that's three completely different campaigns
>>
>>54062920
>players start with zero equipment, yes or no?
Give them free points from dead broke, and at some point change dead broke to average for free
As campaign switch
>>
>>54058510
Is there, by chance, an extended Limited Use pricing? I know it says "uses more than 10 isn't a significant disadvantage" but I think it would be for DkS magic.
>>
>>54063534

After The End. Waking in a ruined building, tended by a person that says they found you left for dead on a battlefield, but the ragpickers had already taken your things.

>>54063572

After The End already eliminates Wealth as an advantage, players just start with $500 to buy starting equipment and can get more starting gear by trading in character points. This would cost them that money, and eliminate the option to buy more stuff with CP.
>>
What do your dice look like, /gurpsgen/? Also: do you use any exotic dice for your games?
>>
>>54064804
>person that says they found you left for dead on a battlefield, but the ragpickers had already taken your things.
And give you something ~500 bucks [or more] worth, as apologize and now you owe him...
>>
>>54051416
No, that's Enhanced Time Sense.
>>
>>54036481
stealing this
>>
>>54065282
Scavageing the area for tools, weapons and trade fodder before risking a trip into the wasteland
>>
>>54065282
>removing the option for character customization out of the box and giving them something that After the end suggests as standard as a strings attached deal

If your players aren't into this sort of thing I can see how it may seem a little unfun. Also though, they may like this type of shit. If one of them rolls up a morally bankrupt jaded survivor though, fully expect him to just kill the dude and take his shit.
>>
>>54066163
>before risking a trip into the wasteland
>they found you left for dead on a battlefield, but the ragpickers had already taken your things.
>>
>>54065088
God I love my brass 3d
I play on Roll20 almost exclusively now tho...
>>
>>54051567
Jumpman is like a suicidal one punch man
>>
>>54069251
Oh I haven't told you guys about jumpman's race

I call them the lamarckians, and they have a wonderful ability, they have achieved infinite growth, anything they work at growths exponentially. Jump up and down for a few years and you'll be able to jump miles.

There template is as follows
Undying 2[100] Regeneration(extreme) -80% when dead [30]
Doesn't sleep, eat or drink, or breathe [50]
Injury tolerance(homogenous, no eyes, no blood) [50]
Unageing [15]

The jumpers exist to break out lamarckians due to how their undying works
>>
>>54065088
I was sold on gurps when I was told I could nick my die from a Yahtzee box. So I did.
>>
>>54069647
Risk game for me
>>
>>54065088
Are there any gurps themed dice?

Any cool looking cheap dice?
>>
File: 1431528262246.jpg (54KB, 590x480px) Image search: [Google]
1431528262246.jpg
54KB, 590x480px
>>54070069
gurps.. themed?
>>
>>54070483
Best I can think of is a d6 with the 1's face replaced with The All-Seeing Eye, which is SJGames's logo.
>>
How is Push Kick different from a normal shove?
>>
>>54070970
That would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure there are. I would buy them in a heartbeat. Considering I bought all the GURPS books I actually use.

I have a rule that if I need a book for a campaign, I buy that book. It feels fair. Though I should subscribe to pyramid.
>>
>>54071118
Ditto. I download everything in case I'll ever need it (and to entertain myself with charop and workdbuilding) and buy it once I actually use it in a campaign. The only exception to this is the DF series and I instead backed the Kickstarter.
>>
>>54071086
Kicks are at Reach 1 instead of Reach C. It also uses Karate as a base, which will be higher than DX or Sumo for many characters. Lastly, it's "hands free," which is situationally important.
>>
>>54072026
The only book I'm probably going to buy no matter what is the new Tac Shooting book they're working on, and Vehicles.

When, or if, it comes out.
>>
>>54065088
>What do your dice look like
Something like this: /roll 3d6
>>
>>54072733
I feel you. My last two campaigns have been on roll20. College graduation really kicked my group's ass. I just hope I can find some people to play with in theseminary.
>>
>>54072810
Seminary should be full of people, but the willingness is dependent on the church, what church are you?
>>
>>54058138
I'd fucking play that
>t. Robust-ish SS13 veteran.
>>
>>54073041
Isnt ss13 the best kitchen sink setting ever? I'd run it
>>
>>54073011
Catholic. It shouldn't be too hard, but I haven't had to make new friends in a very long time and I don't know how much free time I'll be getting.
>>
>>54072580
>Vehicles

Never EVER
>>
File: 1497967573670.jpg (6KB, 254x199px) Image search: [Google]
1497967573670.jpg
6KB, 254x199px
>>54073462
I have the prep work for six campaigns already done and waiting for that fucking book.
>>
>>54073492
Tell me more about the campaigns mate
>>
File: Bear.png (40KB, 243x292px) Image search: [Google]
Bear.png
40KB, 243x292px
>>54073630
The first is a tanker game, where the players are tank crewmen in an alt-history WW2 universe that exists solely because of their actions in a previous game. So they start the invasion of France with a PzKpfw IV armed with a 7.5 cm KwK 40 because the characters from the other campaign literally walked into Hitler's office in '36 with a huge briefcase of design documents and a bunch of military textbooks on ww2. After that, a game where they're a trucker and a group of merc's transporting an oil tanker down the Baghdad Airport Road in 2004. A game inspired by Porco Rosso, a mad max-style game, another tank game where they're crewmembers of a mercenary T-72 during the Second Sudanese Civil war, and finally a Battletech game.

Everything but the multitude of vehicles I need are pretty much gold.
>>
>>54073403
Christians have kind of a scare about dnd but gurps should be fine. As long as none of your players actually believe in the illuminati
Tons of people do in my church, so good luck
>>
>>54074480
Masons are the real kicker now. And I always assumed the SJG symbol was more poking fun at that type of secret society stuff than an honest endorsement.

Thanks for the well wishes anon.
>>
>>54074680
Masons...really?
Of all the things.

But I have some stories about this stuff. I playing DnD with a kid when I was younger, one session he was out, his parents still believed In the chick Tracy stuff. I had to switch games and I got an entire campaign done, in WHFB, which is infinitely worse than DnD.

But yea some people are nuts
>>
>>54074480
Yeah and demons and devils exist as enemies and things to oppose in D&D. That doesn't stop people from having knee-jerk reactions.
>>
File: Doppelganger.jpg (9KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
Doppelganger.jpg
9KB, 600x457px
>>54074911
We just don't like secret societies on principal. The Freemasons though have several branches that purport to have secret religious knowledge passed through different groups since the time of Solomon, and there is a deeply held belief in the church that God's truth is inherently exoteric. That is, since the time of Christ, it was meant for everyone and not just a select few. That paired with their use of Templar trappings, some orders having anti-clerical stances (particularly in France and South America) that turned violent (also in France and South America), and their opposition to religious involvement in Government in the United States, makes them just a disliked and distrusted group in general. Apart from that an Italian order, the Propaganda Due, literally collapsed a Vatican-affiliated bank, acted like a shadow government, had people killed, and was plotting a coup of Italy. Right before that, we where planning on relaxing the ban, but that shot any lingering sentiment of trust out of the water.

So while many are probably harmless clubs where guys wear fancy digs and drink beer, too many are up to shady shit to make it kosher. Now that I think about it, I could use them as some compelling villains.
>>
>>54073098
I'd say it is, sci-fi wise.

You have cyberpunk, space opera, alien horror, frontier exploration, cthulhu mythos and all kinds of other stuff mashed in. And it still seems organic and makes sense since space is infinite enough and humanity is big enough to have all of that.

If you do want to run it, please leave your contact details, I'll play.
>>
Anyone have any good recommendations for combat maps, or ways to make a lack of maps equally compelling? I really hate making maps. Especially on Roll20.
>>
>>54075815
Combat maps are easy if you go lo-fi. Just a few lines and blocks to represent walls and scenery. Never takes me more than five minutes, even with Roll20's horrible "tools."
>>
I was looking at Feng Shui for some wacky Big Trouble in Little China fun, but somebody recommended I check out GURPS. I played in a third edition game like 20 years ago and I think it was the gm but I don't recall it being able to handle the wackiness and high flying martial arts with gods type of thing. Is 4th better for this? Would I be better looking up third since I'm at least passingly familiar with it?

Which books (pdfs) should I get and for which version? Thanks!
>>
>>54078684
Yea 4th this better for this, much more streamlined.

Get martial arts, and the tech book for the TL you are in
>>
>>54078231
I just finished them. They look like ass, but I made them to scale at least. This is why I usually run games without maps.
>>
>>54075815
I tend to mine Pinterest for unlined rpg maps, then go crazy with the additions
>>
Does GURPS provide any ways or abilities to change the turn order during a battle? Can I do things like moving people back in the queue or giving a character a second turn during that second, or is the turn sequence completely fixed once the battle starts as stated on B363?
>>
>>54081009
You can Wait and go later if you want, and if you activate a power that gives you Altered Time Rate you gain an extra action on your turn. You don't recalculate turn order for things like stat changes.
>>
>>54081335
I don't mean altering my turn position, I mean altering the turn position of other people involved in the battle.
>>
>>54081398
You can afflict someone with things like Altered Time Rate and Extra Attack, but the turn sequence is immutable outside of out-of-combat buffs prior to entering combat and the Wait maneuver.
>>
>>54081506
Okay, thanks.
>>
>>54081398
Well, if you get someone knocked the fuck out when/if they recover they roll initiative again.
>>
>>54081799
>roll initiative
>GURPS
What?
>>
>>54081812
Yeah look up the rules for surprise and combat they call the roll off between two groups ready for action but not expecting each other an initiative roll. Not the same situation though.
>>
>>54079143
I want you to know I'm stealing that map.
>>
>>54081009
It's fixed, but you have a number of options that will usually force your opponent to skip their turn or at least not spend it doing anything effective. K&S is the main example, but so are sweeps/throws and even basic Shock penalties. Other more esoteric examples include things like Contests of Will, Rapier Wit, Kiai, Hypnotic Hands, and Pressure Secrets. Lastly, being mobile is hugely beneficial as it requires enemies to waste maneuvers catching up with you.

It's less about manipulating the abstract notion of initiative and turn order and more about making sure your opponents keep having to waste their time.
>>
What are some really good but unused skills?

What are your favorite perks?
>>
>>54087095

Hazardous Materials Disposal

Because burning everything is eventually going to bite you on the ass.
>>
How would you build a character around grenades?

Does gurps have rules for slinging grenades?
>>
>>54087095
Knot-Tying is shockingly important.
>>
>>54088130
Knot-tying is amazingly overlooked.
>>
>>54087095
Anyone use brainwashing? Propaganda?
>>
>>54088084

Quick-Draw (DX/E), Throwing (DX/A) at DX+2, Guns.
Wealth or Patron (to afford all those grenades).

Pistol, SMG or bullpup assault rifle, something you can fire one-handed in a pinch.
EoD suit.
>>
>>54088201
Cheaper Gear would be nice too.
>>
>>54074405
Noice

What are vehicles like currently in GURPS? Can you still have tank battles?
>>
>>54074405
How difficult would it ne to modify 3e vehicle syats to 4e?
>>
>>54088528
It would be extremely difficult and time consuming.
>>
>>54088552
Doesn't they still same?
Check with official 3e to 4e update
>>
>>54088528

In principle, a vehicle from 3e can be converted over fairly easily. The problem is that Vehicles 3e is a clusterfuck of complicated maths.
>>
>>54088609
3e does have a host of pre-made vehicles though.
>>
>>54089256
Yes, but that really throws customization out the window doesn't it.
>>
>>54088609
Meh. For what it is (a detailed system for statting out literally almost any vehicle, from wagons to mechs), it's actually quite light on the maths. In my opinion, asking for an in-depth vehicle creation system that's (nearly) no math is asking for the impossible, like trying to fit all your groceries in one bag but not wanting that bag to be heavy.

Now, 3e's Vehicles IS complex, but the math itself isn't. It's mostly due to how interconnected everything is; changing one value will change like six secondary values that are based on that value. While this sounds like nitpicking, interconnected complexity basically disappears with modern tools like automated spreadsheets. Before anyone goes "hurr spreadsheets," see my first paragraph.
>>
>>54089640
I'm not the one who finds the math difficult, but it is far too time consuming for my tastes and it is difficult keeping track of everything.
>>
>>54089640

>For what it is, it's actually quite light on the maths.

Designing an aircraft or spacecraft with a specific final thrust literally requires solving a differential equation.
>>
>>54089705
Okay, that other anon can go fuck himself. I can't do that.
>>
>>54089723

I should point out you don't *have* to solve it, but the alternative is doing it via trial-and-error, which takes ages.
>>
>>54089789
Not with a spreadsheet. They will either do the equation for you, or at the very least let you trial-and-error super quickly.
>>
>>54089911
Is there a spreadsheet out there or do I have to make it myself?
>>
Why should I learn GURPS?
>>
>>54090120
It's a single system you can use for just about anything you can think of: in theory, you can learn GURPS and then never learn another one again (though you'll probably still want to).

Plus, character creation is a lot of fun.
>>
>>54090189
character creation is the best
>>
>>54090120
It's an excellent system that can do everything well base, and with tactical shooting and/or martial arts, becomes unmatched in it's combat. My only complaint is that without vehicles I can't make custom vehicles easily, but it should eventually be remedied.
>>
>>54090120
It kind of ruined video games for me. It's hard to play games anymore that don't allow everything like gurps. It's more addicting than crack.
>>
>>54090028
99% sure it exists. If not, I can personally attest that making a spreadsheet isn't too hard, though admittedly my spreadsheet was for battle suits, so I'm sure it'll be more intense for a full spreadsheet.
>>
>>54090752
I'm okay at spreadsheets, I would just need to hijack a friend for the math. The only real problem is guns, as 3e and 4e do guns and damage differently. So vehicle mounted weapons can be a problem.
>>
>>54090120
Coz /tg said you must
>>
>>54090808
>3e and 4e do guns and damage differently
No, energy to damage formula still same as i know
>>
>>54090120
for the memes
>>
>>54090888
It's weird, but I noticed the mindset towards GURPS has changed. It was at first not talked about at all, then generally fucking hated, and now people talk about it normally without people yelling autistically. They even take it as a suggest half the time and usually have good reasons for not using it (i.e "I want a light system", "I want a system that doesn't use 3d6", "I don't want to teach it to my players.") instead of just telling you to fuck off.

>>54090904
Ayup. Damage is the same, and this is useful for everything else.
>http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=799817&postcount=2
>>
>>54090982

> It was at first not talked about at all, then generally fucking hated, and now people talk about it normally without people yelling autistically.

I'd like to think it's because of the steady string of generals we've had over the last few years, and the helpful and nonjudgemental tone most of the anons in them keep to
>>
>>54091082
I think gurpsgen is the best gen, we aren't as stupid or /pol/ or /d/ as other gens
>>
Anyone have any premade high TL gear? I'm prepping for a campaign and I'm just now finding out the weapons page I used to use (flatblack/icelanders weapons) isn't up anymore
>>
>>54091120
Also not as creative as /osrg/, though, probably because our system can already do everything.
>>
>>54091165
How high TL?
>>
>>54091191
9/10
>>
>>54091173
Gurps takes a very intellectual person I play, it's different than other games
>>
>>54091264
To*
>>
>>54091165
Ultra-Tech, of course, has plenty of high TL gear, but I can only assume you've looked there already for what you want and not found it, so I got nothing.
>>
>>54091214
That's not so bad. Did you already look through Ultra-Tech? It has a ton. This contains all the weapons in all the GURPS books, organized by TL, and tells you which book and page to go to.

>http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/ind:weapons-by-tl

>>54091264
Nah, I'm an idiot and I play it. I think the community is just so small we're prone to trying hard.
>>
>>54091296
Also TL 10 is very light, but the unofficial 4e Fallout RPG has some weapons (The plasma weapons, laser weapons, and Gauss weapons) that all fall firmly into TL 9/10.
>>
>>54091280
>>54091296
Yeah, I've checked the weapons selection in UT, but it's sort of okay, which is really my feeling on the whole book.
>>
>>54092248
I've thought about remaking UT. What would you guys like in it?
>>
>>54092348
More stuff. Like the most stupid, technologically OP shit from Warhammer and other fantasy universes. Also I want to hear the words 'carbon nanotubes' 100+ times no matter the context.
>>
File: im-not-saying-it-was-aliens.jpg (21KB, 376x321px) Image search: [Google]
im-not-saying-it-was-aliens.jpg
21KB, 376x321px
Man, using the alien generator in GURPS space gets really boring and tedious.

Wasn't there a Alien generator program in the OP of /gurpsgen/ at one point?
>>
>>54092348

Numbers for armor and weaponry extrapolated from High Tech.
Switches for everything from pulpy to silly to super hard sci-fi. If I want to make a space fantasy where laser rifles are an actual thing I don't want to have to make up the weapons myself.
Programming, hacking, simulated worlds, computer complexity and programs and that entire category rebuilt.

That's it from the top of my head. I know there's more.
>>
>>54092404
You sure you don't wanna hear about nanomachines, son?

But seriously, tons of super science stuff?
>>
File: w23 updates.png (2KB, 562x54px) Image search: [Google]
w23 updates.png
2KB, 562x54px
Does anyone know what these updates were for? The errata page hasn't been updated since 2015.

>>54091278
*from
>>
File: bkah.png (7KB, 666x176px) Image search: [Google]
bkah.png
7KB, 666x176px
>>54092498
Never mind.
>>
>>54092427
Personally, I'd like a little bit of everything. UT is THE Sci Fi/future equipment book, so I'd like just a smattering of every different sort of SF
>>
>>54092427
Ya. UT was too generic. I wouldn't recommend re-ding what they already had done, but expanding it would be great.
>>
>>54092551
Expansion got it, anything in particular you would like expanded upon?
>>
>>54092807
Also does anything seem kind of out of balance? Things too weak or strong?

I'm expanding upon it because when I build a TL 12 character he wasn't much different than a TL 8 character, whereas in reality they would be leagues apart
>>
>>54092876
Weapons and gear mostly.

At TL 12 though, tech is hard to get around. At that point it's better to just build magic powers and shit as technology based. You have handheld weapons that can destroy entire cities and technology that can regenerate your body in an attosecond. You passed the 'upload our brains into a computer' stage a TL ago.
>>
>>54089705
I don't remember seeing any DEs in Vehicles.

>>54090752
Do SJG still sell the Vehicle Builder program?
>>
>>54092876
>>54092961
Honestly I've always that the higher TLs get sort of conceptually crowded if you're playing Sci Fi campaigns. It feels like there really should be more wiggle room between "Cyberpunk" and "This is the most advanced technology can be".
>>
>>54087095
Explosives (Fireworks) lets you make black powder bombs, flares, distraction devices and incendiaries and the materials are cheap and legal in most places and easy to get after TL 3.

Throwing, combined with the above, has some obvious uses.
>>
>>54027456

Attribute Modifiers: IQ+6 (Cosmic, +50%) [180]

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: FP+10 [30]; HP+20 [40]; Will+4 (Cosmic, +50%) [30].

Advantages: +8 Bonus Magery (Ritual Path) [80]; Appearance (Transcendent) [20]; Charisma 2 [10]; Compartmentalized Mind 1 [50]; Detect Magic (vague, -50%; magic, -10%) [6]; Immunity to Disease [10]; Immunity to Poison [30]; Jumper (Cannot Escort, -10%; Mana Sea Only, -50%) [60]; Mana Enhancer level 2 [100]; Regeneration (Regular) [25]; Regeneration (Regular; Radiation only, -60%) [10]; Regrowth [40]; Ritual Adept (Cosmic, 50%) [60]; Telekinesis level 20 [100]; Unaging [15]; Unkillable 3 [150]; Very Fit [15]; Voice [10].

Perks: Autotrance, No Hangover, Penetrating Voice and Sanitized Metabolism [4].

Disadvantages: Dependency (Common (Mana); Ignores regeneration & regrowth advantages along with magic healing, +80%; Constantly) [-90]; Dependency (Rare ('bathing' in the Mana Sea); Ignores regeneration & regrowth advantages along with magic healing, +80%; Yearly) [-5]; Enemies (Bound Old, “native,” Gods: more powerful; FOA = 9; Rivals) [-10]; Overconfidence (9) [-8]; Enemies (Cultists of the Bound Old, “native,” Gods: A secret society spanning most of the known world and possessing access to boons from their gods along with supernatural allies; Hunters; FOA = 10) [-80]; Supernatural Feature (Potent Magical Aura) (Only occurs when casting spells, be they Ritual Path or Realm Magic) [-5].

Quirks: Is sometimes prone toward strange, intensely inhuman, modes of thought
[-1]; Will sometimes seem lost in thought while either experiencing very old memories or unconsciously sensing the Mana Sea [-1].
>>
>>54095775

Features: All children born of mortal women (or a living goddess impregnated by a mortal man) survive to term fully healthy and become demigods [0]; Can grant boons (i.e. pact limited advantages) or inflict curses (i.e. disadvantages) to mortals [0]; living gods may effortlessly and safely draw from the infinite coffers of energy within the Mana Sea, but to a maximum of: ' (200xMagery)+(1/2 Willpower)(10) ' once per day [0].
>>
>>54095783

Living-god [875]

====================================

This template represents a human-form god, forged from the sacrificial apotheosis enabled by an ancient profane ritual. As this new god is a fusion between the raw divine/arcane essence of the Mana Sea and a powerful human magician's soul, this being possess a human—if significantly augmented—mind and form; unlike the 'native' gods that are utterly non-anthropomorphic and beyond normal human understanding. The Living-god's body is essentially an illusion, raw magic of the Mana Sea unconsciously pooled together and sculpted into something between divinity & humanity because his human-like mind would go insane otherwise. It is therefore the case that bodily destruction will not kill a living-god. A living-god would be wise to keep in mind, however, that he can still, potentially, be trapped while vising the phenomenal world.
>>
>>54095801

Any suggestions for how I might improve upon this template? It will be used by the player of a solo game (i.e said player +me as the GM).
>>
>>54095832
What does Cosmic IQ represent?
>>
>>54096108

Being able to think and communicate on the level of the gods.
>>
File: why.png (39KB, 199x183px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
39KB, 199x183px
>>54095775
>IQ (Cosmic)
>Ritual Adept (Cosmic)
>>
>>54096380

See >>54096153 for IQ

Cosmic with Ritual Adept opens up access to GM added rules for using Ritual Path magic on a scale which only deities should be able to use.
>>
>>54096646
...Pretty sure you're supposed to add cosmic to the actual spells to get an appropriate point cost.
>>
>>54096742

Where does it say that in Ritual Path Magic?
>>
>>54093314

>I don't remember seeing any DEs in Vehicles.

It doesn't explicitly mention it but they fall out of the calculations if you know what you're looking for. If you wanted to make a spacecraft with 0.5G acceleration, for instance, you have to pick a particular motive thrust for the engine. The final thrust depends on the vehicle's total mass and the total motive thrust. The vehicle's mass depends on the contents of the vehicle, including the engine, as well as the volume, which ALSO depends on the contents in a different way. If you haven't got enough motive thrust on the first attempt, and increase it to get to 0.5G, the engine gets bigger and heavier. The vehicle gets heavier because it contains heavier things, but also because it gets larger and it's structural mass and armour mass depends on its surface area, which depends on it's volume.

If you take all that and decide you want to *solve* it, rather than just use trial and error, you end up constructing a differential equation.
>>
How many heathens have you converted to the best system, /gurpsgen/?
>>
>>54100493
>>
File: dsws.gif (783KB, 210x118px) Image search: [Google]
dsws.gif
783KB, 210x118px
Wide Swing %%Melee Weapon Skill%% [15]
You do wide swing with reach 1 or 2 weapon, attack up to 3 enemies in row in front of you. Not compatible with Flurry of Blows, Mighty Blow, Giant Step, Combos/Tech, Rapid Strike, Targetted Attack or Deceptive Attack.

Wide Swing %%Melee Weapon Skill%% II [30]/[+15]
Same as Wide Swing, but for weapons with reach 2 or more, attack up to 5 enemies in row in front of you.

Close enough? Or just slap Cone enhancement on melee attack per Modifying ST-Based Damage?
>>
>>54100715
How did you arrive at those point totals?
>>
>>54100493
None yet, given I haven't managed to get around to play it any myself. I'd like to, though.
>>
>>54100715
I'd just use Whirlwind Attack technique or rules from Combat Writ Large from Pyramid 77.
>>
>>54100831
I'd treat it as a special version of Rapid Strike.
>>
>>54100745
Rapid strike 2 + Unusual Background

>>54100831
>Whirlwind Attack
Very strange tech. Harsh for cinematic, and useless for realistic.
>Combat Writ Large
It have nothing about wide swings, just "be 7 categories larger and enjoy large-area injury mode with +4 to-hit" AFAIK
>>
>>54100992
I think it'd be better to use Extreme Dismemberment from Martial Arts, or just making it a cone attack for supernatural warriors.
>>
>>54100493
None yet, was only recently converted and am still learning.
>>
Has anyone used brainwashing?

I'm thinking about making a character focused on doing brainwashing/stealth/Alpha Legion Stuff.

What are some good things to put points too?
>>
>>54102180
IIRC, Alpha Legion is as much about subverting communities as it is individuals; don't overlook Propaganda. Adding Psychology should help with both. Interrogation/Intimidation will also help with more short-term things.
>>
>>54102180
>brainwashing
TL? Available drugs? Allowed advantages, books?
>Get Mind Control with Independent, +70% and Skill-20
>>
>>54102303
8, all of them I have a good Patreon, my DM said to err on the side of realism.
>>
>>54102303
Oh forgot books, basically all of the them DM is a huge Gurps fanboy, and the setting is kind of kitchen sinky
>>
>>54100493
Three, though we have one more member that is holding out and still prefers Pathfinder and would rather bend the system over his knee to make it a gritty realistic game than use a system that does that well out of the box.
>>
Where are the tranquilizer darts?
>>
>>54103277
HT89
>>
Is it possible for a society to have a mixed tech level?

How would the costs change?
>>
>>54103854
>Is it possible for a society to have a mixed tech level?
Yes. Low-Tech and Ultra-Tech have some info about it.
>>
>>54103854
Yes, and it's quite common, especially at higher tech levels where GMs are expected to tweak settings to fit genres (e.g. Cyberpunk should have higher TL for computers and medical technology) but IRL too.

It doesn't affect price.
>>
>>54103854
Fallout sees TL5 weapons used with TL 9 and 10 weapons.
>>
File: 8e2bfe615b90.jpg (67KB, 496x600px) Image search: [Google]
8e2bfe615b90.jpg
67KB, 496x600px
>>54103854
>Is it possible for a society to have a mixed tech level?
Check africa, sand nigges, steppe gooks, evil korea and other
>>
>>54104612
But they all still have guns.
>>
>>54104799
Yes, and? Guns are only TL3 at their most basic.
>>
>>54104878
I mean they have modern guns, not flintlocks or shit.
>>
>>54104962
Doesn't take a super high TL to maintain an AK or bolt action rifle anon. If there are mixed TLs, you can expect higher tech items to filter down into the lower TL societies through trade or theft.

In either case, you have a mixed TL in that they still do a lot of subsistence farming, use draft animals instead of machines, but have automatic rifles and SAMs and shit.

I'm still not sure what your objection is beyond 'But the mixed TL is miiiixed'.
>>
>>54103854

There is a a borrowed Technology level that you can use.

TL 3/7 is a TL 3 society which imports TL 7 tech. People from that TL can maintain TL 7 stuff, but can't make it.
>>
File: 3796004.jpg (509KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
3796004.jpg
509KB, 1200x800px
>>54104799
Most of which are stolen or received from more advanced countries in exchange for goats and diamonds.
And still these guns considered as obsolete junk, but durable and simple enough for being used by savages.

And why you triggered on guns?
Steppe gooks do nothing besides ride on horses, breed horses, eat horses, bow hunting and live as nomads in wool tents, but they use solar batteries, quadcopters, and satellite communications
>>
How do I pick up this system if all my former experience was multiple editions of D&D?
I'm vaguely curious to learn about this, but the system feels enormous and intimidating to just pick up.
>>
>>54105650
GURPS: Lite for bare-bones basic rules. It's enough to get a grasp on the basics. After that, I recommend taking a look at the Basic Set in tandem with one of the series; since your background is in D&D, I recommend GURPS's not!D&D line: Dungeon Fantasy. The Basic Set will give you a fuller view of the series and DF will show you how some of what is in the BS can be applied to a specific genre.
>>
>>54105756
What's a good way to find people to play this with? Does GURPS have an active roll20 community?
>>
>>54105777
Do you really want people recruited from roll20 though?

In all seriousness, no, I'm not aware of a large roll20 community on GURPS. It's not the world's most popular system, so finding a group for it can be a pain. I think most people that have a "GURPS group" had a D&D/WoD/MtG/etc. group and brought them into GURPS later.

I think some Anons here have had success recruiting in the generals though, so if you feel like running something, check here or maybe the LFG thread? If you're looking for a GM though, you're probably out of luck. Pick up How to Be a GURPS GM and give it a read and plan your own game.
>>
>>54105650
Roll 3d6 get lower than your target number.

All of gurps is built on one foundational rule, everything else is modifiers.

Most of the basic set is optional, you don't have to allow everything, gurps requires a strong GM

What dnd version did you play?

Many say to start with the Lite version, but I just started reading the basic set and did fine.

Basically gurps is dnd if everything was possible, only used one die, and wasn't held back but certain practices.
>>
>>54105831
>What dnd version did you play?
3.x and 4e.

>Roll 3d6 get lower than your target number.
That does sound fairly simple.
>>
>>54105846
If you survived 3.X gurps will be a cakewalk
>>
>>54105483
>Steppe gooks do nothing besides ride on horses, breed horses, eat horses, bow hunting and live as nomads in wool tents, but they use solar batteries, quadcopters, and satellite communications
Sounds like the good life.
>>
>>54106308
And yurts are awesome
>>
>>54027456
What books to grab for "bunch of sapient robots surviving on a wild planet"?
>>
File: man cross.png (99KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
man cross.png
99KB, 256x256px
Whats that?
The Big Bad and the Bigger Bad were in cahoots all along?
And they manipulated you into ending the world?

Ooooooooh! Grimwyrd is getting nasty!
>>
How can I best run a mythology themed game where the player characters are mythology style gods?
>>
>>54106727
I recommend low tech, as well as fantasy and powers & supers
>>
File: brides_04.jpg (138KB, 448x741px) Image search: [Google]
brides_04.jpg
138KB, 448x741px
>>54106308
Yes.

>>54106626

Goddamn vast conspiracies. Also, laws of magic? Shit man, we have all kinds of things we need to learn.
>>
>>54106756

Thanks.

Are these stats a good starting point?

>>54095775
>>54095783
>>
>>54106623
After the End has, in my opinion, struck the best balance between detail and playability in terms of survival rules, and its focus on scavenging and rebuilding tech would do well for bots that need solar batteries more than berries and fish.

Basic Set can handle building bots as characters.
>>
>>54106815
I don't know, gods are so vastly different from each other that putting them under one template seems wrong somehow
>>
>>54106903
Merci
>>
>>54106815
For starters, Cosmic on attributes is literally useless, but beyond that, mythic gods don't really have a set templates, just a fuckton of points (though I'd argue Unaging is frequent enough to be standard). They may not even be immortal in the total sense and instead be effectively immortal because 20 DR and 60 HP is something people with bronze spears can't really compete with. Similarly, gods actually have a reason to have 8 0 P O I N T S I N B R O A D S W O R D or whatever skill(s) they choose. I'd argue that being godlike is relative, and that a 400-point vampire from Monster Hunters would totally be a god to a TL0 hunter/gatherer society.

I'd say it's more about point values but also tone; if "impossible" tasks are at -10, what sort of things can be pulled off by entities that can regularly succeed at -20? Would you let them use Stealth to hide from Death? Use Wrestling on a river to change its course? Shoot an arrow and kill the sun?
>>
>>54102180
Could you use brainwashing to add fanatism for you to people?

Have a bunch of allies fanatic to you.

My characters goal is to brainwash a not!kyrptionian because they are pretty close to human
>>
>>54095783
>(200xMagery)+(1/2 Willpower)(10)

That would get you an absurd amount of energy. Take, for instance, just having that Magery (ritual path) 8 from the game 20 Will: You'd get 16,100 energy. What kind of spells could you make out of path magic that would need that much energy (be it a single spell or a set of spells throughout the day)?
>>
>>54100493
Only myself so far. I can't believe I fell for the GURPS is too complicated meme.
>>
>>54108484
That stereotype boggles my mind.
>>
>>54108994
Yea it's kind of stupid.

Any tips for my brainwashing character? Anything I'm leaving out?

Is it even worth taking Mind Control with brainwashing? it seems to be that it's stupid as on you test vs a stat and one you test vs a skill.
>>
>>54111093
Mind Control can work in one second though. Brainwashing would presumably take longer.
>>
>>54111261
Yea but brainwash mind control isn't Permanent but brainwashing is
>>
>>54111343
At one roll per second, you could keep using MC until you get a critical success and still be done faster than regular Brainwashing.
>>
>>54111365
Good point
>>
>>54111571
How many times should I do that? 300? Just to make sure?
>>
What can ritual path magic do if you had 1000+ energy to use on one spell?
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/ first half-year of 2017 is ended, what nice things you achieved, what goals you completed?
I get my burnout and disperse my group
>>
>>54113482
I've been slowly working on city descriptions, monsters, and a map for a Fallout game set in Arizona.
>>
>>54112724
It's not so much of what it can do, it's what you want it to do. You can 1-hit kill anything with an extremely expensive fireball.
>>
>>54112724
Region-level chaos by destroing city ecnomics, uprising revolts, break an empire, wake up Yellowstone Volcano.
What skills and trappings you can afford, and what you want at the end?
>>
>>54112724
For starters to affect whole Earth you only need about 80 points for area effect.
Which means with Greater Create Matter + Greater Create Body you can create a freaking planet for (80+6+6)x5 = 460 energy.
>>
I'm reading Low-Tech's piece on Jousting Armor on p. 109 and it says for the garniture that "One piece is worn on any given location at a time,but only the heaviest arrangement of the garniture suffers the problems of jousting plate listed above."

What does that mean gameplay-wise?
>>
>>54114929
This
>garniture consists of modular heavy pieces – built using Heavy Plate (frame) – that can replace individual articles of field armor, converting it into jousting armor.
>>
>>54115001
and what about "but only the heaviest arrangement of the garniture suffers the problems of jousting plate listed above?"

Does it mean that you essentially treat it as one piece of armor for the sake of the DX penalties for wearing jousting armor in the first place?
>>
>>54108994
D&D players have a spergout at any nonD&D system so they push it.
>>
>>54100493

Ran a campaign with three newbies, got them hooked. To begin with they didn't quite know what they were doing, kept rolling the wrong skills, and didn't use many combat options. By the end they were jerryrigging active targeting systems to claim 2*Acc on shots, loading gauss sniper rifles with hyperdense darts and using AIs to fly their battlesuits so they could concentrate on shooting. I was so proud.

I had to move city after that, but I keep in touch and they're all playing a Banestorm campaign now.
>>
Does RoF effect HT-x attacks?
>>
>>54116783
I honestly have no clue. I mean, it makes sense for some things, like venemous barbs for example, to give a further penalty because multiple hits means more higher dosage, but something like spells or curses might be better represented by multiple resistance rolls against spammed curses.

Actually, option two sounds tedious; I'd make both be further penalized by the number of shots that hit (it's realistic in the former case and expedient in the latter). Maybe a further -1 for every doubling of hits (e.g. assuming the resistance roll is normally unpenalized, it's HT at one hit, HT-1 at two, HT-2 at four, HT-3 at eight, etc.)?
>>
>>54116852
The lazers in UT can take the omniblaster upgrade to make them semi-non lethal. The thing is they have a RoF of 10
>>
>>54116783
What do you mean by this?
You roll to hit as usual with bonus from high RoF, then resolve effect for each hit separately just like any other attack.
>>
>>54116866
There should be something in Powers that covers this, or at least Supers.
>>
>>54114641
>>54114809
>>54095775
>>54095783
>>54095801

That settles it, all gods in my game will use RPM and have access to in excess of 1k energy.
>>
>>54095775
>>54095783
>>54095801

What can threaten characters with this template?

What stats would a Titan and Giant of Jotunheim have (bearing in mind that it would need at least HP, DR, size, and an attack Stat so that it can fight said Living God character).
>>
>>54114641
>>54114809

What would happen if you rolled a critical failure on those spells?
>>
>>54117151
AAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>54117151
Whatever is most disappointing depending on the spell, I guess?

I mean, an outbreak of peace if you were trying to foment revolution, Yellowstone going dormant for another cycle, or divide by zero error in your attempt to make a planety.
>>
>>54117219

Could you please elaborate further?
>>
>>54117268
If you can make a planet for 800 energy, spending 1000 energy and failing is the kind of thing that causes severe problems. For example...

>endless army of skeletons/demons shows up.
>sun gets closer
>Armageddon starts
>an old one wakes up
>the planet pops
>>
Haha, there's rules in GURPS Supers for destroying Earth. That's great.

It has 1.88 billion HP and 5 million DR.

You only need to spend 2,200 points on ST with Super Effort to inflict a a major wound on the planet.
>>
>>54117375

>You only need to spend 2,200 points on ST with Super Effort to inflict a a major wound on the planet.

So what would a planet suffering a major wound entail?
>>
>>54117313
>Everyone gets a bit of popcorn kernal stuck between their teeth. Forever.

>Hangnails become contagious

>>54117396
Have you heard of the Thea Impactor or the Deccan Traps?
>>
>>54117375
No all you need is 40M$ and TL 12, and a heavy disintegrator cannon
>>
>>54117396
On a rocky planet, something that breaches the crust and mantle.

>>54117407
>Thea Impactor

Or something that hits it so hard it shits out a moon, yeah. That works.
>>
>>54117416
You could upscale that and make a deathstar planet breaker.

This is why I am convinced that Star Wars has some TL 12 tech
>>
>>54117465
I'm sure it does. What's the general TL of Star Wars (not including like, the Nelvaanians)? The general TL of the Republic/Empire. 10?
>>
>>54117465
I did the math, with super science power cells RoFx5 it takes 3 hours to kill a planet
Normally it takes 15 hours

With a normal gun.

The planet is so large you could do it from orbit
>>
>>54117483
10^, they have field jacketed lasers
>>
>>54117268
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.