[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you consider the necessities of a high adventure setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1491958616123.jpg (419KB, 2500x1763px) Image search: [Google]
1491958616123.jpg
419KB, 2500x1763px
What do you consider the necessities of a high adventure setting?

Note I said 'high adventure', not 'high fantasy'.
>>
Weed?
>>
>>54006790
there's no difference
>>
Lots of ancient ruins and unexplored lands. Think Grandia.
>>
something like Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic.
mysterious dungeons that are unique and beautifully built, has puzzles, deadly traps, twisted physics law, unique monsters and items, when you reach the dungeon's guardian you get special items and knowledge.
so basically exotic places and monsters
>>
>>54006790
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81HUn352hZ4
Mako narrating
>>
There has to have been a Golden Age that was brought down by hubris, & now there is a faction of powerful people trying to atone
>>
>>54006790
Things are pretty shitty and dangerous but it somehow doesn't affect the loser townsfolk unless the plot calls for it.
>>
>>54006790
Long history with many civilizations which crumbled somehow. Some of them should be better than the current ones.

Political instability, lots of city-states but no kingdom bigger than, say, Ptolemaic Egypt.

Every half-sucessful lord aspires to recreate one of the better crumbled civilizations.

Long oceanic travels to different and exotic lands are possible but dangerous, so one person can do it but suffer lots of mishaps along the way.

A man with a sword can win an ordinary fight, but there are monsters, aliens, tigers, lovecraftian spawn etc.

It's hard to think of a better example than Conan's Hyborian Age. It's perfect in that it combines all those elements and was the first to do so, AFAIK.
http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Hyborian_Age

A particular challenge in roleplaying hyborian adventures is that one regularly loses his equipment and half the challenge is fetting new stuff. As D&D and similars depend on item rewards, this goes against it. However, there are alternatives. I knew a 3.5 feat that rewarded a player not using any magic items with several bonus. In a Hyborian adventure, all players might this by default.
>>
>>54006790
I think it needs to be big, diverse, and have some compelling, well-executed conflicts.

Exotic setpieces can help. But remember to establish the normal world before catapulting the heroes into stranger ones.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.