[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My daughter passed away a year ago and we're going through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

My daughter passed away a year ago and we're going through his things and found some Magic cards.

I tried getting her into Magic around Onslaught block so she had a lot of those, but she didn't really become super invested in it until Innistrad block. She has a lot of cards, I'd wager 1000 or so, from Innistrad onward and about 300 from Onslaught block. She has 20 deckboxes or so which I imagine are fully compiled decks she used for tournaments.

Where can I get all of this valued? I don't really want to go through it all one-by-one, is there a store I should go to? I'm in Austin, TX area. I'm not really into Magic myself (we tried Onslaught as a bonding experiment that didn't take off) so I don't know how to value it.
>>
>>54003330

*her, oops.

Before anyone says it, I know it's rude to go through someone's things like this but we're tight on money and thinking it might be worth a couple hundred dollars.
>>
>>54003330
I'll give you ten dollars, that's the best I can do.
>>
File: 1497041548677.gif (2MB, 382x289px) Image search: [Google]
1497041548677.gif
2MB, 382x289px
>selling your dead kids prized possessions
>>
>>54003330
>she
>she
>she
>>
>>54003330
sorry for your loss dude.

Go through the set, and pick out the rares and mythics (the little symbol on the bottom right of the artwork will be gold or red)
Look each one up individually. If you have anything valuable, chances are it will be a rare or a mythic.
Good luck. the whole set could be worth as little as $50, up to a few hundred depending on what high value cards are sprinkled in there.
>>
>>54003330
Most are worth shit, and the only way to be sure that the ones that aren't worthless are valued fairly is to do it yourself.

Did she have any index of her decks, or collection of lists?
>>
>>54003330
Honestly I would value them for you but you really don't want to go through them, plus I cannot tell the proper condition of them online. Do be aware that game store would try to undercut you as well. I suggest going onto sites like StarCityGames, TCGPlayer, and MtGStocks and getting an average price. Then throw the stuff up on eBay or something. 1000 is not that hard to go through. Just look up the sets and then the prices of said sets
>>
>>54003416

When Innistrad came out she asked me to buy her some cards on eBay. I have a small list of singles I bought for her but don't even know if these are in her boxes and boxes of cards.

4x foil Saint of Geist Traft
4x foil Entreat the Angels
1x foil Tamiyo

Some others, mostly foils from this time period.
>>
>>54003503
So yeah you have money there
>>
>>54003330
First, I'm sorry for your loss and that you have to sell your child's possessions. I can't imagine what that's like. You have a stranger's sympathies.

Second, I run a small card shop and can give you a little insight. There's two ways to do this: either you do it all yourself (bigger rewards, lot more work) or you take it to a shop and have them do it for you (you'll get less but it is way faster and easier).

If you want to do it yourself, you will need to go through all the cards and pull anything with a gold or red set symbol. Pile them up and use magic.tcgplayer.com to price them all out. Use mid prices. Once you know how much they're worth, list them individually on ebay for a little less than the mid, maybe 90% of the mid. Wait for them to sell, ship them, call it a day.

If you don't want to do that (it's a lot of work, not gonna lie to you), then do this instead. Use locator.wizards.com to find a game store near you. Call them up and find out if they buy collections. If so, take in *everything* she had all at once and say you want to sell it off. Make sure you pull out all the gold and red set symbol cards specially though, ask for the store to check those all individually and make offers on each. The rest is to be sold as bulk. You'll get less money than doing it on ebay, but it is much faster and easier.

Best of luck to you, anon. I hope things work out for you.
>>
>>54003330

Probably not much. Assuming those 1300 cards were acquired mostly through boosters packs, I would guess anywhere from $30-40 to at most $150-160.
>>
>>54003340
>I know it's rude to go through someone's things like this but we're tight on money
I know it's wrong to shoot people but man money's right it's you know sssssssss it's tight and that justifies anything I want to do.
>>
I suggesst keeping a few, or at least one, like maybe cloistered youth?
>>
>>54003330
post pics of the rares, it would be easy to tell what they are worth. sorry for your loss anon
>>
>>54003503
you have money there with thouse cards
>>
>>54003367
harsh! (unless you don't believe him.)
>>
>>54003330
Open a deckbox. Are the cards in sleeves? If they are, take a picture and post it here. We can get you a rough estimate of the value of her decks from one example.
>>
>>54003367
I hope my miscelania gets ebayed if something happens.
If they don't know what to do with it then at least it ends up with someone who does.
>>
File: IMG_6707[1].jpg (5MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6707[1].jpg
5MB, 5184x3456px
>>54008472
>>
File: IMG_6709[1].jpg (5MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6709[1].jpg
5MB, 5184x3456px
>>54009426

Sorry for the poor images. This is the best shot I could get.
>>
>>54009426
Old tier 2 standard deck, shit land base, sleeved cards. If this is a good representation of her playstyle and price point, her collection will probably be worth $200 on the low end, close to $500 on the high end.
>>
File: IMG_6710[1].jpg (5MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6710[1].jpg
5MB, 5184x3456px
Trying to organize them. It's tough taking photos of these.
>>
>>54009579
>infect
Your daughter makes me SICK
>>
File: IMG_6711[1].jpg (7MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6711[1].jpg
7MB, 5184x3456px
>>54009529

Are these at least good decks? She used to play a lot, went to the store to play with friends every week. She never really talked to me about it but she was into it pretty heavy.
>>
File: IMG_6712[1].jpg (7MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6712[1].jpg
7MB, 5184x3456px
A few of these boxes have the gold or orange symbol someone mentioned. They're just full of them.
>>
>>54003330
>I stole a shit load of magic cards, where's the best place to pawn them?

Give them back, Tyrone.
>>
>>54009673
That infect deck is well constructed, but a few lands short of being tier 1. She seemed to be conscious of the heavy price point of competitive play. These builds are good enough to top 4 fairly consistently at a FNM, but the suboptimal lands would drag her into the bottom 50% in major tournaments.

She probably had a lot of fun swinging in her weight class, but competitive players would've been dicks about her budget lists when she lost.
>>
>>54009737
Look for Snapcaster mages and Liliana of the Veil's in the Innistrad stuff

also sorry for your loss, mate
>>
>>54009737
There's plenty of good stuff in that picture (the Hero, the Elspeths, the Memorial, the lands, there's a red planeswalker under the red pile that is probably worth something, etc). You've got a decent collection here.
>>
The site to sell them is tcgplayer.com city of brass has some worth and the Japanese krenko, mob boss too. Hope you pull through anon
>>
>>54009737
That's a nice $30-$40 pile.
>>
File: 1493088914602.jpg (6KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
1493088914602.jpg
6KB, 284x177px
>selling your dead kid's stuff
>stuff that meant a lot to them

I can get selling their movie collection or music CDs or other miscellany but this is something else. Shame on you.
>>
>>54009579

>painlands instead of literally anything else

otherwise not a bad deck. don't see RUG infect often
>>
File: IMG_6713[1].jpg (7MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6713[1].jpg
7MB, 5184x3456px
>>54009785

There's two more Heroes here if this is what you meant, but these are different.
>>
>>54009930

Those were promotional cards for Mirrodin pre-release. Worth around $7 each.
>>
>>54009930
>>54009960
This guy's right, means they sell for $3ish each. So, $36-$46 pile.
>>
>>54009797
The dead can't own things. They no longer exist.
>>
File: 1485841545920.gif (330KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1485841545920.gif
330KB, 255x255px
>>54009797
>implying someone's music or movie collection can't be just as meaningful to someone
>>
>>54003426
>Do be aware that game store would try to undercut you as well
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Really? A game store that will attempt to sell the cards for market value willnot give me the market value when I sell to them? It's almost as if they need to put food on their tables or something.
>>
>>54009797

The kid's dead bro. The fuck else are you going to do with them, bury the dead with their belongings so they can take them with them to the afterlife? Keep them forever? What happens when you die, do you give them to your other relatives who never had anything to do with the original owner? Someone's going to have to get rid of those cards eventually. It's not like this is a family estate or something, it's fucking magic cards.

Hell, if I died and my wife was short on money I know I'd much rather her sell my fucking stuff and eat than keep it out of some misplaced guilt and live off of cat food. God damn.
>>
>>54010344
Hey now.
Cat food doesn't taste half bad.
>>
>arguing about ded kids
you do know that op is more likely to be a nigger who just stole someone's card?
>>
>>54010344

I don't know. OP should keep atleast one card, something that reminds OP of her. I can't speak for what OP's daughter would have wanted, but I know in my case I'd prefer my family to sell most of my stuff rather than starve.
>>
>>54010399

Nah. He would have just taken it to a pawn shop, gotten $50 or so, and spent it on drugs.
>>
>>54010433

I don't know her favorite card or anything like that. If I were to wager a guess, there's 14 Surgical Extractions I've found, none of which are in any decks so far. Why would someone have so many of one card otherwise? She also has 12 Diabolical Tutors.
>>
File: IMG_6426.jpg (433KB, 1034x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6426.jpg
433KB, 1034x1600px
>multiple pronoun mistakes
>played magic the gathering
>texas area
did your transgender daughter kill herself?
>>
File: erebos.jpg (64KB, 800x476px) Image search: [Google]
erebos.jpg
64KB, 800x476px
>>54010433
Keep an Elspeth, Geist of Saint Traft, an an Angel of Flight Alabaster.
>We all have to cross the river someday. Even her.
>>
>>54010472

See

>>54010505
>>
>>54003330
They will probably throw you some extra dollars if you tell that story.
>>
>>54010286
Why get defensive over nothing? If you want to maximize your money then you don't sell to a reseller. It's about that simple.
>>
>>54010472
>14 surgical extractions
That's a 20 dollar card.
>>
>>54010472
If you're holding on to 14 Surgical Extractions then you're holding a decent sum of money in your hand right there
Diabolical Tutor isn't worth anything but if you find a Demonic Tutor...
>>
>>54011003

Is it really? I used to run it in Innistrad-Scars standard rotation. I have a few Japanese foils I don't use anymore.
>>
>>54011124

Of course it is, it's an OP card, especially in modern.
>>
sacrifice an hour and make an excel sheet op, this will help you estimate the sum you're dealing with
>>
I've not got any advice other than what other people have said (def a better idea to sell them individually if you've got a few hours to spare) but just want to say I'm really sorry for your loss mate, it's a really awful thing :(
>>
File: 1498089183205.png (42KB, 277x363px) Image search: [Google]
1498089183205.png
42KB, 277x363px
Hook me up OP, I'll buy your cards.

[email protected]
>>
>>54003330
>I'm in Austin, TX area. I'm not really into Magic myself (we tried Onslaught as a bonding experiment that didn't take off) so I don't know how to value it.

Go to Mage's Sanctum in South Austin. Owner there is really chill and he buys collections all the time. Talk to him about it
>>
>>54010286
Holy shit you're a sperg.
>>
>>54010344
>when you're dead, you're material possessions are basically what looters see when they rob your house.
>>
I'm of the camp that objects to you selling these cards.

You say money is tight, but I can see that this collection won't net even a grand for you which I can imagine is the bartering point of selling your late child's possessions. Personally selling it on Ebay could give you a lot of cards that won't be moving, for various reasons. Mostly because you're going to sell it at face value and that there might be more professional vendors to compete with. Selling it to a store is going to give you a vastly reduced sale on the collection.

I'd say if times are this dire, then you should look at other, more reliable, ways to be making money

It looks like she had a couple of decks, see if she had a playgroup that she played with and see what they would want of the collection.
Your child has payed more than you'll earn for these cards and I feel you should respect those efforts.
>>
>>54016722
You're a tool. The kid is dead, and the cards have no real sentimental link to OP. You're essentially telling him to give away several hundred dollars for no reason.

Check your privilege.
>>
>>54009579

>infect player

I'm glad she ____
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.