[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system should I use for a science fantasy combat game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: OW1HWUU.jpg (619KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
OW1HWUU.jpg
619KB, 1920x1200px
What system should I use for a science fantasy combat game?

I wasn't impressed with Numenera. I'm thinking of just reskinning 4E since my players almost never roleplay and mostly want to bash monsters.
>>
>>53985123
Savage Worlds if you like guns actually being better than blades.
>>
>>53985123
5E
>>
File: Eclipse Phase - Cover.jpg (129KB, 900x1165px) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse Phase - Cover.jpg
129KB, 900x1165px
>>53985123
Hello friend.
>>
>>53985242
I like some parts of 5E but not others. The proficiency bonus is way better than 4th's dumb half-level thing, but I hate how simplified and stripped down a lot of the classes are.

I'm thinking of trying to hack together a 4E/5E combination that combines some good 5E mechanics like Advantage/Disadvantage with everyone having encounter + daily powers.

>>53985222

Gotta have energy swords too, though. Savage Worlds is a "good for any setting" system, right? I'll check it out.

>>53985278
Thanks friend.
>>
File: Transhumanitysfate.jpg (202KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Transhumanitysfate.jpg
202KB, 600x900px
>>53985123
>>53985278
>>53985308
Also comes in Fate if you'd prefer.
>>
>>53985308
The Sci-Fi book has stuff for energy blades, but due to how the system works it's typically easier to pump rounds into a target once they break cover. Doesn't mean melee isn't workable, it just needs decent body armour and some smart tactics. Never used energy swords, I mostly used monomolecular stuff for my cyberpunk campaign.
>>
>>53985378
It would be nice to do some ranged combat and actually use cover and sightlines for a change, rather than D&D's "stand in front of each other and takes turns hitting each other" system. (That's why I like 4E, actual incentives to move and position)
>>
>>53985123
Eh, 4e'd work decently, just figure out what to do with all the classes, 4e's very conductive to fluff changes. Also don't use Advantage since that comes from 4e's Avenger. You can consider things like the Superior Crossbow as a Sniper Rifle, for example.
>>
>>53985402
Savage Worlds does that great! Plus you have called shots that actually do stuff (blasting or stabbing a target in the head is nasty stuff). Only downside is suppressing fire is a bit anaemic.
>>
>>53985465
If someone plays Avenger just give them a different bonus. Three dice?
>>
>>53985483
Four dice. Inb4 Prophetic Guidance+Oath of Emnity.
>>
>>53985123
Savage Worlds is nice; Strike would suit it rather well if you mostly want combat; Gamma World 7e is already sci-fantasy reskinned 4e (plus lighter and more direct, I rather prefer it to normal 4e).
Also Rule of Cool's Legend, and Open Legend (which are totally different despite the names) are practically tailor-made for science fantasy.
>>
File: grr1714_450_1024x1024.jpg (43KB, 450x585px) Image search: [Google]
grr1714_450_1024x1024.jpg
43KB, 450x585px
>>53985123
True20 can do some very solid Science Fantasy. Recently did a one-shot Mass Effect game in it that was a lot of fun, and we didn't even need stuff aside from the core book. A nice diamond-in-the-rough of a system, I'm kind of surprised it doesn't ever get mentioned on /tg/.
It was designed by Steve Kenson, who also designed Mutants & Masterminds, and it has pretty much the same damage save system instead of HP.
>>
>>53985123
Strike! was made for the same style of tactical combat as 4e, but massively streamlined numbers and the serials filed off.

If that sounds good, I got the cire book pdf right here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/txtl08

Also some playtest material attached just to get a general idea of how classes work in it.
>>
>>53985308
>The proficiency bonus is way better than 4th's dumb half-level thing,

They are basically the same thing, except prof bonus advances half as fast. Half level sounds like a lot, but on a d20 you really need those modifiers imo.

>I'm thinking of trying to hack together a 4E/5E combination that combines some good 5E mechanics like Advantage/Disadvantage with everyone having encounter + daily powers.

Strike! uses a system like that, but without dailies. You could hand out daily use items, however, or hand out action points daily, thereby simulating it.

>Gotta have energy swords too, though. Savage Worlds is a "good for any setting" system, right? I'll check it out.

SW is good for everything and it has some advantages over Strike! for you; namely that it got weapon/equipment stats, while in Strike! those are just assumed to be part of your character.

For a futuristic game I recommend using the fan supplement Savage Armory for weapons, and possibly fusing Strength and Vigor.
>>
>>53985123
GURPS.
>>
>>53985123
>science fantasy combat game?
sounds like 40K
>>
>>53988891
You disgust me.
>>
>>53990843
>implying you couldn't just reskin dark heresy to emulate OP's pic
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.