[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If someone has replaced a chunk of their brain with cybernetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

If someone has replaced a chunk of their brain with cybernetic implants, should they be immune to magical forms of mind control?
>>
>>53984143
Depends on how you define the mind and how magical mind control works

You know
>Depends on the setting
>>
>>53984143
I'd guess that if the tech works in such a way that it's intuitive to operate, it would be affected by mind control. If it required additional skills to use, likely not.
>>
>>53984143
Only in a setting where magic can't work on computers for some reason.
>>
>>53984143
If Magic acts on your soul yes.
If Magic acts on your brain no.
>>
>>53984143
Not immune, but more resistant the more they replace.
>>
They should gain resistance to that particular category of magic, but also become vulnerable to magic that specifically targets machines, which would be lower-level on the logic that matter manipulation spells generally have a hard time affecting living things, for example a low-level water control spell doesn't affect living bodily fluids.
>>
>>53984143
depends on how mind control works.
>>
>>53984143
Nope. If magic in your setting isn't science it just works because magic, and if magic is science making your brain into a computer makes it even easier to fuck with.
>>
>>53984143
The implant and what it does may be immune, the rest of the brain would not.
>>
But if someone replaces a chunk of their brain with magic implants, should they be immune to cybernetic forms of mind control?
>>
>>53984143

That depends on the nature of the mind control, and just how much of your brain is machine (and what parts).

Like, take Cyberbrains from Ghost in the Shell. Cyberbrains can augment your intellect by letting the machine crunch numbers for you, let you browse the internet and make calls, store memories externally, and all sorts of other stuff. But, at the end of the day, the meat still does the thinking.

A person with a cyberbrain still does most of their important stuff by meatbrain, so there isn't any reason why mind control wouldn't work on them.
>>
>>53984143
Nah because magic mind control magics the mind, if the implants are part of your mind then it'll simply control your mind.

No magic isn't sentient and has no way of differentiating between what is what. It just does things.
>>
>>53984143
I've done this with psychic powers before. People with certain neural or spinal implants were resistant to mind-affecting powers. The only technology that acts as a kind of field jammer for telepathy was a neural augment that used its host's brain to produce the psychic equivalent of signal noise.
>>
>>53984143
I've been a co-DM for low fantasy and futuristic settings. That said, this is how I run this issue when it comes up:
>completely or near-total computerized brain
Magical mind control does not work, BUT, these brains can be hacked and reprogrammed.
>partially computerized/cybernetic implants
Mind control in both hacking and magical regards are distorted. Depending on what chunk of the brain is taken out, or what hemisphere of the brain is taken out, it is neurologically impossible for magic or hacking to totally control a person, instead leading to many functions of mind control being missing.
>>
>>53984143
Depends if the mind control in question requires full control of the brain or if it just relies on illusions instead of straight up control
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.