[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>sci fi setting >a species of xeno that has multiple, independent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1491833157125.jpg (51KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
1491833157125.jpg
51KB, 640x481px
>sci fi setting
>a species of xeno that has multiple, independent consciousnesses due to the structure of its nervous system (think octopi, squids, etc)
>in order to cooperate, each consciousness is constantly fact-checking with the others based on individual experiences, forming an analysis of their environment through internal communications, and forming cohesive thoughts based on matched and unmatched data
>socially, this behavior is replicated through discourse, and as a result of their evolutionary biology tends to operate the same way as their internal systems, leading to a sort of networked intelligence
>while not a hive mind, ideas spread through communication like a sort of memetic virus, with reflexive copying, discarding, and overwriting of information leading to what could essentially be considered psychological cloning
>while each member of the species identifies itself as an independent organism, its personality is essentially a copy of all others like itself within the area of effect for all communications it has access to
Can this be made more interesting than "the aliens are all the same"? Are there any good examples of it having been done before?
>>
File: 1492499628546.jpg (66KB, 440x960px) Image search: [Google]
1492499628546.jpg
66KB, 440x960px
>>53983369
>>
>Are there any good examples of it having been done before?

Uplift Saga by David Brin. In particular, the Jophur/Traeki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe#Other_clans_.28of_aliens.29
>>
>>53983369
You're explaining human physiology and sociology.
>>
I feel this is semi related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8
>>
>>53983369
blindsight was an enthralling read if you're into absolutely neva bin dun befo premises.

I think it really does capture how 'alien' an alien would be to us.
>>
>>53983369
Seems like this race might have a slight problem with groups that are separated from other groups for a period of time rapidly diverging in their belief systems.
>>
File: Bloody Hell SFM.gif (805KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
Bloody Hell SFM.gif
805KB, 300x169px
>>53984179
WHAT THE FUCK
THIS IS IDENTICAL TO THE ECOLOGY OF FUCKING BEHOLDERS.
>>
>>53984179
Wait, to top that off, is my left my Sapience, and my right literally the fucking kind of shit that belongs to mindless animals?

ohgod.
>>
In the good Mass Effect games (ME2), there was the geth. They were android platforms that housed countless artificial intelligences within them. They agreed on things when they did stuff.
>>
Aside from the last part, where every individual ends up having the same personality, this is exactly like a hive-mind alien race in one of my settings. Their minds still react differently and make different decisions based on the information on hand, so they still become distinct personalities and are insectoid waifus.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.