[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss the economics of adventuring and a world that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: 025407rz4ry111cy79dyjc[1].jpg (462KB, 1500x803px) Image search: [Google]
025407rz4ry111cy79dyjc[1].jpg
462KB, 1500x803px
Let's discuss the economics of adventuring and a world that supports it. You've gotta get the funds somehow, don't you?

Alright, so the expenses for a typical party of hobos are easy : food, lodging, clothing, armour, weapons, various other gear like oil, whetstones, tinder, cooking equipment, bedding, and so on and so forth. But what about the income? Where do they get this money from?

Would adventurers and heroes sell bonds to merchants and speculators in return for a percentage of the loot? Perhaps in return for a lump sum paid in advance along with suitably arming the heroes for the quest, a certain percentage of the profits would go to them. Maybe the adventurers belong to a guild, that insures for them for any maimings and losses in return for a cut of their profit. Maybe these guilds are then sponsored by certain merchants that arm these heroes with their brand of gear in return for advertising their good name across the land and wearing their colours.
>>
File: creature-01[1].jpg (1MB, 5100x2787px) Image search: [Google]
creature-01[1].jpg
1MB, 5100x2787px
Actually, at what point do we call these people hired muscle, or mercenaries? Professional heroism at its best, huh?
>>
>>53976623
>Maybe the adventurers belong to a guild, that insures for them for any maimings and losses in return for a cut of their profit.
I actually do this in my games. Guilds take a flat percentage from every contract fulfilled. Certain high level contracts have a fee in order to take it. And in order to even be part of the guild, you have to pass a test of trials, which itself is bogged with an entrance fee. However in return for that, the guild gives you free transportation and rations, guarenteed repairs of armour and weapons, stocked up with quality brand potions and other adventuring gear, and covers half of a person's restoration/esurrection fee.
>>
There are two primary ways to handle a setting where "adventuring" is a legitimate profession.

The first is the AD&D way, where the world is post-apoc. That is, there was once a grand flourishing high magical civilization that dominated the region, but then The Bad Thing Happened and now everyone is feudal serfs and there is no king only a large group of clashing warlords and any fighting man worth his iron can try and tread their kingdoms beneath his sandaled feet. There are dungeons and ruins because the once great realm of Good King John, or the Second Age of the Elves, or the Halls of Dwarven Kings have all fallen and their stuff is ripe for the taking [and the monsters had the same idea]

The second is the Spain way. You, like a true white man, are sent out to explore new lands, kill and oppress any natives you can find, and seize their booty [both kinds].

The starting money usually comes from inheritances, family savings, or whatever your backstory says. After that, you pay for your gear with the proceeds of your successful quests.
>>
File: Curvy-Sorceress.jpg (614KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Curvy-Sorceress.jpg
614KB, 850x1200px
>>53976686
I restrict the word mercenary to the usage of being involved in national conflicts such as providing security in a hostile state or acting as the acting army for a country to use against another country. Adventurers are offered a wider breath of options, such as mapping areas of the world or a dungeon with the Cartographer's Guild, searching for missing persons or , killing monsters plauging an area, or investigating mysteries with law enforcement.
>>
>>53976779
Sounds like a way of life. I imagine these guilds have in-house or contracted local blacksmiths/alchemists/whatever for cheap rates in return for good business and connections.
>>
>>53976623
>But what about the income? Where do they get this money from?

Usually the powers that be pay good money on all the bounties posted up for various bandits, humanoids, and monsters. All those things really inhibit trade, and trade can produce some serious money.

It's a beautiful circle; trade - > taxation - > protection - > trade.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.