[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those who have played 8th edition of 40K so far, how is it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 19

File: Imp Fists 4.jpg (187KB, 800x677px) Image search: [Google]
Imp Fists 4.jpg
187KB, 800x677px
For those who have played 8th edition of 40K so far, how is it? Planning on getting Dark Imperium later in the week.
>>
>>53941209
As a player who started in 4e, Id have to say it's the best edition so far.

It's smoother and quicker. It simplifies a lot of things that needed simplification. It's a slimmer version of 40k, and yet still feels like 40k.

I will admit the army rules are rather lacking right now. The armies do feel a little bland in options when it comes to things like relics and powers. But I am pretty sure that stuff will be fixed with the codexes. The indexes are just a stopgap for current armies before they get around to updating all the codeces.

I like looking forward to playing 40k again, rather than dreading it during the 7e era
>>
>>53941209
I started at the tail end of 2nd edition, but I can honestly say that 8th is the best the game's ever been.
Ignore the autists who say the game is "oversimplified," I've never had to spend more time thinking about positioning and movement than I have in 8th. Complexity and depth are not the same thing.
The game is simpler in some ways, yes, but I can say, without a doubt, that skill plays a bigger factor in 8th than it ever has before.
>>
>>53941209
few things are stupid
like heavy waepon on vehicles and walkers still have -1 to hit
some unit if you can't kill them will win the game ( IG deathstrike) but all around i like 8th ed its fun to play
>>
>>53941209
If you enjoyed the beer-and-pretzels, slap some guys on the table and have a laugh approach, 8th has a lot to offer.

If you were one of the few people who want an interesting tactical wargame and were still clinging to 40k, 8th should be the final reason to look into another game.

Personally I'm in the latter category. 8th went in the complete opposite direction to what I hoped for. I won't say it's a bad game, but it's definitely not what I want or enjoy, and I'm correspondingly moving on. The increasingly naff fluff and dull, sterile art doesn't help either.
>>
>>53941209
It's very good, imho. I'm not even nearly in the game as long as these other guys (started out with nids in 7th). My store had a couple of really WAACfag players, so I got alot of exposure to the things wrong with 7th (Gravspam, Battle Company, War Convocation, Eldar Scatbike spam and Wraithknights, Necron Decurion Wraith spam etc...)
The couple of games I've played have been very fun, and honestly, anyone complaining about "depth" of strategy hasn't played a game yet, playing well seems way more important than in 7th, where the game was decided by weither you got Invisibility enough times and who got to shoot first.
>>
My ork mek list that won 2 games the entirety of 7th edition has yet to be beaten in 10 games of 8th
>>
>>53941209
Apart from minor niggles here and there (e.g. damage should spread through units like it does in AoS) it's a fantastic system and a far cry from the bloated, unwieldy 7th ed ruleset.
I've been playing since about mid-2nd ed, and while 5th will always hold a special place in my heart I'd say this is the best edition yet.
That being said, I'll balance by power since points are kinda wonky.
>>
i played 1500 points dark angels vs IG i must say MY GOD IG IS CHEAP ( i know they suppose they should ) but my god 3x more models them SM + like 4-5 vehicles + droping guys and some gamechaigin units (wyrven deatrhstrike) that can wipe everything on table just by shooting. He bunked up in the corner and there was nothing i could do about it - at least i got same vicory ponts as him , but he wiped me off the table
>>
>>53941209
I agree that its the best edition so far. Its fun and easy to pick up, but on the other hand there seems to be no less tactics on the tabletop. The armies all seem viable and fun to play. A lot of the units that youve never ever seen anyone play before are good now ( Ogryns for example)

Overally, Im very happy so far but I hope GW doesnt fuck it up when codexes start coming out
>>
>>53943037
t.
Tau player
>>
>>53943352
IG is brutal in this edition
>>
>>53943457
Imagine how renegades and heretics will be in 8th edition then
>>
I am withholding my opinion until the meta emerges. In particular, I want to see how horde spam works out. Also vehicle/knights spam. If it's not OP, then this is a very good edition.
>>
File: 1498126086740.jpg (403KB, 1580x1510px) Image search: [Google]
1498126086740.jpg
403KB, 1580x1510px
Theres several glaring flaws
>>
File: 1496344179261.png (608KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1496344179261.png
608KB, 1000x1000px
>>53941209

I've been playing since 3rd edition.

I currently primarily play 30k which barring some thousand sons nonsense was a very well balanced game. Having so much fun playing 30k made me.realisr the issue wasn't inherently with the core 7th edition rules which were fine for the most part but with things like formations , there being no constraints on lords of war units and certain codex's having certain overpowered options (eldar/tau).

Unfortunately 8th edition went and gutted the game into something unrecognisable it's basically age of Sigmar in space.

They've removed so many options that made the game tactically interesting to play and homogenised so many things to make them basically identical that the games lost its heart. It's also a mess to play with tactics in this edition being move your horses of infantry at eachother and roll dice until one of you wins.

>No more unit positioning. This means I can't flank around a unit to take out their special weapons or snipe out a hero. Nor can I flank around a tank to hit it's weaker armour. Nor does mitigating these things matter

>No more risk/reward choices with deep striking/outflanking

>No more vehicle positioning. All vehicles have effective 360 degree line of sight and I can fire all my land raiders weapons outside of its tank treads.

>Hilarious unit conga lines. Due to positioning not mattering power gamers have already worked out that forming conga line of units with your most powerful at the front is effective as you by raw only need to remove the models at the far back of the conga line.

>Hilarious unit bubbling. The death star isn't dead it's just called the bubble now with powerful character units bubbled together with cheap infantry around them.
>>
File: 1496601797718.png (546KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1496601797718.png
546KB, 1000x1200px
>>53943694
Cont

>Conscript spam. With templates removed there's no effective ways to kill infantry hordes making them the best units in the game. Perhaps that's fluffy but playing against 500 conscripts every game isn't as fun as it sounds.

>multiple units obsoleted as so many units are basically identical. Mega nobz for example in terms of pure stats are just shitty killa kanz

>No more USRs meaning instead of saying 'oh this unit has rending and fnp' we say ' this unit has nurgles resilience and mortal claws ' but another unit will have entirely different names for the same abilities, but with slightly different rules. And this applies to every single unit in the game. So look forward to spending a long time reading your opponents unit entries. Again while this has always been an issue this edition doesn't fix it.

>Same old bloat and power creep problems. They're going to be releasing new codexs with new toys and your old stuff will be obsoleted.

>Still a power gamers wet dream. Unfortunately 'simplified' rules mean badly written unclear rules, which will be exploited by that guy. While it's always been a factor in the game it's even more so now.

>Even for regular gamers the rules are unclear on multiple fronts like LOS, close combat.

Overall 8th edition 40k will be good for ten year olds starting the game and good for games workshops abuse victims who eat any piece of shit gw feeds them. Unfortunately for anyone else the games dead and buried.
>>
>>53943694
>>53943703
Not helping your position with the meme bullshit, mate.
>>
>>53943577
Knights are garbage for their cost, so you're good on that front.
>>
>>53943867
Yeah those images are meme bait but they still all raise various legitimate flaws within the system.
>>
>>53943448
Woah anon that's not fair to assume at all.

He might be an eldar player.
>>
>>53943703
take snipers then, if that is realy an issue for you. as it stands, it is an autopass look out sir!
>>
File: sp sports.jpg (27KB, 644x492px) Image search: [Google]
sp sports.jpg
27KB, 644x492px
>>53943892
Both of them were in 7e, neither of those images are unique to 8e at all.

>rolling for charge distance exists, it can be failed
>you can't feely target characters

Going a step further, the alternatives to both those rules are worse. Rolling charge makes it unpredictable and a calculated risk, and free character targeting would mean characters are either blocks of meat or useless.

Never design a game.
>>
File: Knight meme.jpg (794KB, 2104x2035px) Image search: [Google]
Knight meme.jpg
794KB, 2104x2035px
>>53943642
You got that one wrong.
>>
>>53943694
>>53943703
try actually playing it against someone who knows what they're doing
I had a lot of the same thoughts when I first read through the rules, but I found myself having to consider my movement and positioning a lot more than I ever did in 7th.
Almost everything you listed is either a minor preference issue, not an issue, or something that was changed to improve balance. The only legitimate complaint there is that hordes are possibly too strong.
>>
>>53943892
>flaws
they illustrate rules that maybe you don't personally like, but that doesn't make them flawed, they make perfect sense from a game balancing perspective
some of us are in it for a game, not a 1-to-1 simulation, and abstractions for the sake of balance are fine
we tournament now
>>
File: what.jpg (38KB, 720x564px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
38KB, 720x564px
>>53944013
Which part of "between the closest points of the BASES" don't you undersand?

The base means the physical plastic disc, not some invisible cylinder that extends into fucking space.
>>
>>53943703
You know this rule basically represents the "Look out sir" rule right?

It's there to make it so you don't need to bus around characters in chaff any more, but still promotes using effective bodyguard units like Tyrant Guard.
>>
>>53944416
Actually he's plenty correct otherwise you'd never be able to engage gargoyles in Melee.
>>
>>53944488
Are you retarded? Gargoyles have a physical base that rests on the ground. It doesn't hover in midair, it rests on the ground.
>>
>>53944549
I was more pointing out it's almost impossible to fit models into base contact with Gargoyles, perhaps I was less clear.

You'd never be able to engage Grav-tanks or Tau tanks in melee then.
>>
>>53944576

First, you don't need base to base contact, you need to be within one inch of the enemy base.

Second, is the question of whether or not a flying stand is counted as a 'base' for the purpose of rules, because if it isn't then distances are measured to the model instead.

All in all its a fucking shitshow as far as play testing goes, this edition may be the 'most play tested' as Gdub claims but that just means they hit a new high in quantity of work, not quality.
>>
>>53943037
Ignore this.

40k is as tactically engaging as ever. Unfortunately some players are only able to equate strategy with the number of pages the core rules are.

I find I am thinking about the strategy and tactics of my army this edition the same amount as last edition. Play it and you'll see.
>>
>>53944765
It's actually easy to resolve.

Measure from both the model and the base and discuss with your opponent.

If the guy legit tries to argue things like 3" stumps stopping titans or Gargoyles being unassaultable due to their bases, then simply call them a cunt and move on.

If everyone starts going full WAAC mode, It makes every game shit.
>>
>>53944576
It's almost like it's a flawed rule that needs errata'd or houseruled
>>
>>53944804

Oh I agree entirely, sticking to the intent of the rules almost universally improves games of all kinds. However as someone who has a near compulsive need to learn the rules of whatever I play, things like this really sour the taste of the product and make it feel low quality.
>>
>>53944846
Or it's almost like GW didn't want to cater to turbo autists trying to abuse stupid rules for "Muh tourney" when any self-respecting tourney judge will tell the faggot to cut that shit out.
>>
>>53944862
>Makes it feel Low quality.

On the contrary, things like Warmachine are possibly one of the most autistically strict rulesets in any wargame and that game feels like a by the numbers autisticfest where your models need not even be on the table because everything is abstracted to the point of obscurity.

WAAC people who try to abuse these rules are the speedrunners of Wargaming, Nobody finds them amusing but other autistic fuckheads.
>>
>>53944865
Indeed. And then houserule it so that the actual rule does not apply. No one is arguing that it isn't dumb as shit or saying they'll actually play that way. But those are the rules. They are what they are.
>>
>>53944880

I'm talking about the book not the product, I still love the game and have fun playing despite the many missteps it has. Gdub has designed a lovely game, it just hasn't implemented it well.
>>
>>53944894
If you're making shitty MSpaint pictures and bitching about a rule not being 100% airtight then you really have some problems of your own to sort out.
>>
Is there a scan of the new indexes somewhere?
>>
>>53944964
Pdfs and epubs friendo.

mega:#F!ToIUlLiR!o91HYGSY9WBNpei5P_2bTw!m5RmWDhB
>>
Rolled 3, 3, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1, 3, 2, 3 = 22 (10d3)

>>53941209
I like it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0nb8yTnFY

Hoping we get sustained and regular codexs that don't unbalance things though.
>>
>>53945209
The Good news is if they do, then you will likely only have to wait maximum a year before they roll out the points adjustments for all armies
>>
>>53944989
Im retarded how do I use this?
>>
>>53943254
>damage should spread through units like it does in AoS
Nah that's silly, that would make a las cannon the best anti infantry heavy weapon option.
5 other guys aren't just going to drop dead out of sympathy when their made gets turned into red mist by an anti tank weapon.
>>
>>53945229
like a URL
>>
>>53943642
The knight can just go into the ruin and assault the guys, they're still on the ground floor.
>>
>>53945248
doesn't seem to work
>>
File: AutismoBtfo.jpg (281KB, 813x785px) Image search: [Google]
AutismoBtfo.jpg
281KB, 813x785px
>>53945275
This

Anyone who argues that a knight shouldn't be able to hit them is someone who you probably shouldn't be playing 40k with, I refuse to play against anyone who's going to act like an autistic child.

>Bu... bu... the rules say

Intent is what's important, not rules lawyering.
>>
>>53945406
>Intent is what's important, not rules lawyering.
If I could give you an actual prize in real life, I would. Because you deserve it.
>>
File: MCW.png (10KB, 535x445px) Image search: [Google]
MCW.png
10KB, 535x445px
>>53941209
>>
File: Ultra Ravens.png (37KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
Ultra Ravens.png
37KB, 510x546px
>>53945514

Awww.

It is enough that my Ork's aren't shit again, that is my prize.

I actually feel kind of bad about how good a 30 man squad of slugga boys is.
>>
>>53945229
fixed

https://mega.nz/#F!ToIUlLiR!o91HYGSY9WBNpei5P_2bTw
>>
>>53941398
This, the big issue right now is any flavor of space marines are very boring now, more so then before, and in many cases very limited. For example, my dark angels army, super bland, and actually cant even run it with any efficiency until a 1.5k point game. Also with the lack of codices their power level is highly lacking.
>>
File: proof.png (215KB, 315x341px) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
215KB, 315x341px
>>53943037
I'm inclined to not believe you because you used the exact same metaphor (beer-and-pretzels, slap some guys on the table and have a laugh) a lot of people used to describe AoS. 8th edition looks nothing like AoS, and while I haven't had the chance to play yet- and you could be right- you sound like someone just upset that things are changing at all.
>>
shit is awesome, all the god tier races got nerfed
>>
>>53944989
you're a peach. Spaseeba.
>>
File: 1472215438355.png (46KB, 280x300px) Image search: [Google]
1472215438355.png
46KB, 280x300px
>>53941209
My complaints so far are
>No vehicle facings
>Lack of relics (Codexes/supplements will hopefully fix)
>Wargear options reduced. It makes it a little harder to distinguish Captain OC of the donutsteels from the others. (Codexes/supplements will hopefully fix)
>No chapter tactics equivalent for anybody, especially chaos who JUST got their legion tactics. (Codexes/supplements will hopefully fix)
>Game seems to outright prefer hordes over tight units.
>Space marine drop pods can't deep strike withing 9" like everything else whereas before, they were guaranteed to get in as close as possible with no mishaps

Love most everything else.
>>
>>53941209
I can dig 8th, even as a recent return to the game I find that Im looking things up alot less and there is alot less to explain to my friends when telling them about how the games work
>>
File: Adeptus Astartes - 800pts (1).jpg (398KB, 1800x1269px) Image search: [Google]
Adeptus Astartes - 800pts (1).jpg
398KB, 1800x1269px
I have to fight chaos today this is my list, thoughts?
>>
>>53946040
What app is that?
>>
>>53946067
>app
Dum nigga go to the General and search for it in the OP, it's a website.
>>
>>53945604
thanks a lot friendo
>>
>>53945247
Mechanically it'd be useful, since it would stymie the horde spam efficiently and would make big blasty weapons like battlecannons attractive.
>>
>>53944576
>>53944765
You're both retarded, if a model doesn't have a base, you use the body of the model instead, the only question here is if flying bases are- Oh wait, they're fucking bases and you're idiots.

IIRC anything knights sized plus isn't gonna stoop over to attack infantry, it's just gonna stamp on them as you would crush something of similar size.

Also rubble isn't ruins fucknut, ruins are wrecked building that are still buildings, rubble is what's left of a building that doesn't exist anymore, a knight can so attack marines that are standing ON rubble, just not IN ruins more than one floor up, you guys are such bitchy complaining idiots it astounds me.

TL;DR you all need to learn how to fucking read.
>>
>>53945209
we are talking about GW
there will be power creep
just glance at AoS
>>
>>53945977
Personally I disliked vehicle facings since any turn based ruleset that simulates a real time battle is necessarily one of abstraction. Vehicle facings meant that rather than a grand battle playing out in your head it was a game where time actually functioned in a turn based fashion. In addition, having vehicle facings for vehicles but not for anything else is preposterous. You're telling me that shooting a unit in the back does me no good whatsoever? That the element of surprise which is one of the most important elements of combat has no actual advantage?
>>
I'm going to have a real hearty laugh once formations are back and Eldar are on top again.
>>
>>53945628
Space Woofs are and Bangles actually play pretty differently and have a lot of extra stuff. Dangles are just in a place where appropriate you really have is "my bikes have jink" since FOC manipulation isn't a thing that matters anymore.
>>
>>53941543
Been playing just as long as this guy and I agree pretty much with everything he said.

You can tell apart the shitters from the good players by the ones who think the new game is "dumbed down". The new rules are simpler but create deeper interactions, leading to a game that's easy to earn but hard to master, ie, precisely the goal of good game design.

There's still a bunch of stuff to be fixed for sure, I'm not trying to suck off GW too hard here, but if they keep at it this is easily the best starting foundation to build on the game has ever had, and they're actually listening to community feedback now and taking people's opinions into account.
>>
>>53944765
The existence of the "hovering" rule on the DE Raider implies that flying stands are indeed bases.
>>
>>53941209
It seems alright. Carnifex hitting on 5+ with Claws is heartbreaking though...
>>
File: 1497671917089.jpg (85KB, 920x960px) Image search: [Google]
1497671917089.jpg
85KB, 920x960px
>>53943352
I like turtles
>>
>>53943703
But that's how it worked in 7th as well, assuming they are in the same unit.
>>
I like 8th but without the codices it's very soulless. I'm shelving my armies until their books arrive. I can fall back on other games until then:

>flames of war / team yankee
>bolt action
>pathfinder
>Zombicide

Going to start Infinity soon as well.
>>
>>53953910
Are you kidding? This is the best time to play 40k before the codeces come in and muck it all up.
>>
It can't possibly be any worse then 7th
This is probably the best time to play, before codices come out and the whole insane cycle starts again.
>>
>>53954861
Eh...I dunno, I feel like 8th somehow manages to be worse, not because of one army being better than any other (though people are already looking for ways to game the system, ex brimstone & herald smitespam), so much as the game is buggy as fuck.

Like, "Plasma Guns are twice as likely to blow up at nighttime" buggy.

Like "Flamethrowers are better for anti-aircraft than crowd control" buggy.

Like, "a Gun Drone can stop a Land Raider from moving or shooting" buggy.

Or "a Valkyrie can play Battlebots with a Leman Russ" buggy.

I feel like the debatable gain in balance isn't worth the obvious wonkiness in the game. In b4 "muh abstraction".
>>
>>53941209
I'm letting my buddy (space wolves) fuck my asshole (tau) this weekend yeah, his mom just died so I feel bad for him :(
>>
>>53941209
So far I have liked how its not bogged down by shitty rules, but I kinda miss vehicle facing. I hope they add an 'advanced rule' to make it work somehow. If not I will do it myself.
>>
>>53949155
This. Fucking.... this.
>>
>>53956994
you are literally the worst kind of nigger
>>
>>53949722
>You're telling me that shooting a unit in the back does me no good whatsoever?
Well previously you would have an easier time breaking armour from the rear. Though I came in on the ass-end of 7th so I'm not a real expert here.
>>
>>53956994
All things I really don't see as much of a problem. All things I am willing to deal with for a smoother game, which of all those I have played, this definitely is.

Plasma guns blowing up with -1 tohit means you have to be more conservative with firing them and no overcharging all the time.

Sure flamers hit flyers easier, but the likelihood of them, even heavy flamers, taking on a flyer and doing any meaningful damage are still pretty slim. People are still going to be shooting the multi-damage guns at flyers because its better chance of shaving off wounds. It's the lasguns vs land raiders argument all over again.

In order for drones to stop the land raider from moving they need to completely surround it so it cannot move freely out. Not as easy as you think, especially since drones rip apart like tissue. But it can happen, and again, for the sake of keeping the combat rules to only a few pages, I am willing to deal with the occasional shenanigan.

Dude, all these things can be addressed with added pages, rules, and lists of exceptions, providing even more rules bloat and murkiness. I just don't see it as worth it. I don't even see them as bugs. Quirks maybe, but not buggy.

8th is better than 7th because 7th is a bloated mess. It was a drudge to play through. Games were unnecessarily long. And the faction imbalances were atrocious.

You can deny it all you want, but 8e is I feel for the better. You can't even get me to touch 7e again, even for 30k, which while the balance is much better, it's still eating a shit sandwich.
>>
File: images.jpg (701KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
701KB, 1200x800px
Who space elf?

What's good and what sucks for space elf?

Dire Avengers how much should they cost?
>>
Did they finally raise the point cost floor on units in general? One of the biggest mistakes in the move from 2nd to 3rd was dropping the points on everything, as it gave designers a lot less design room on the low end and so readily lent itself to imbalances in lower-tier units. This was something that could only be fixed with a total reboot, and now we have it, so I hope they did something.
>>
>>53943694
>>No more unit positioning. This means I can't flank around a unit to take out their special weapons or snipe out a hero. Nor can I flank around a tank to hit it's weaker armour. Nor does mitigating these things matter
That is most one of the WAAC thing that made me trun away from turnament play, some moron using 2 tanks so he can snipe my heavy weapon. Noice.
>>No more risk/reward choices with deep striking/outflanking
Kinda, but with new assault and morale this would be propably OP
>>No more vehicle positioning. All vehicles have effective 360 degree line of sight and I can fire all my land raiders weapons outside of its tank treads.
That good, it caused more problems with fags who abused rules and gimp the angles. But I still think LOS should be counted from weapon.
>>Hilarious unit conga lines. Due to positioning not mattering power gamers have already worked out that forming conga line of units with your most powerful at the front is effective as you by raw only need to remove the models at the far back of the conga line.
WAAC mark, dont play with dicks, dont be dick yourself.
>>Hilarious unit bubbling. The death star isn't dead it's just called the bubble now with powerful character units bubbled together with cheap infantry around them.
It was in 40k before, it was in WFB. Stop being a crybaby.
>Conscript spam. With templates removed there's no effective ways to kill infantry hordes making them the best units in the game. Perhaps that's fluffy but playing against 500 conscripts every game isn't as fun as it sounds.
Yes, everyone will buy and paint 500 models.
At this point Im sure you havent even played single 8ed game.
>>
>>53946040
Nice dakka, but you gonna be tight on objective.
All unicts score now? If yes You are good.
Might swap Devs for something CC oriented.
>>
>>53960781
Your space elf has some health issiue. Heads arent that big.
>>
>>53943703
Can someone explain that picture to me? Girlyman is a separate unit, right? Why not just target him?
>>
>>53962464
Are you serious?
>>
>>53962534
Just found the rule in question. I don't have them memorized yet, big whoop.
>>
Do we have the 8th edition stats for the Leviathan Dread?
>>
>>53962464
It's Ollanius' descendant dying to protect a son of the Emperor from multiple deadly Chaos attacks. He's mirroring his ancestor's sacrifice ten millenia ago, but at a smaller scale since the present is not as glorious and grandiose as the fabled past. That pic is pottery in its purest form, anon.
>>
>>53962223
For some armies, like the Crons, yes.
Others are a mixed bag.
The Grey Knights, for example, seem to have their previously good units become more expensive while their less good ones got cheaper.
The sisters became all around cheaper, save for a few units.
>>
>>53962464
You can't target characters if there's another unit in front of them & the character has less than 10 wounds. It might be less than 11, not sure.
>>
>>53962891
Check the OP in the 40k general. Imperial Forge World got leaked.
>>
>>53964444
check em
>>
>>53941209
>Charge my rhino into my opponents land raider
>Opponent can either ineffectually try to hit it on 6's or withdraw
>Rhino can't be shot in close combat, nor can the land raider fire.
>If they withdraw their landraider can't fire for the turn.
>Charge land raider with rhino again

Congratulations your 30 point transport just obsoleted a 250+ point land raider.

You can do this against virtually *any* unit in the game.
>>
File: 20170623_000550.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170623_000550.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
I just got into 40k a month ago. It started with the learn to paint box and some tabletop minnions vids along with the warhammer tv tutorials. I have the space marine start collecting box(10 tact, term captain and a ven dreadnaught) 3 more marines, a box of reg scouts and a box of sniper scouts. Would this be enough to start playing games of 8th edition? if not would be a good addition to my small army?
going out today to play my first game of shadow war armageddon and hopefully join a league.
>>
>>53964468
Even more hilarious, it doesn't matter whether said Character is the only *visible* model, or is standing smack-dab in the open.

"There's the favored Son of Gulliman! Fire!"

"Uh...I think there might be a puny Guardsman hiding behind a nearby wall."

"Derpderpderp"

>>53959644
Inferno Cannons do 2 wounds, with a -2 save mod. Mathwise, it's actually superior than a Lascannon at chipping wounds off most flyers.

The Land Raider loses its ability to shoot after withdrawing. I've seen Blue Horrors (people haven't been buying mass Brimstones yet, but the local AOS player has Blues leftover from his Burning Chariot kits) make a charge, get a 3" pile-in, a 3" consolidate, and save some Reinforcement Points to split. Since you can Smite into melee, this led to the side effect of watching a SW opponent whiff, as tanks can't ram into melee without being pile/consolidate/split surrounded, Grey Hunters don't have enough attacks to get past Ephemeral Form, and a player can auto-pass two Battleshock rolls (3+1 CP). That, and Smite can hit things in melee.

>>53962296
Congaline WAAC is going to be even more effective since a defender can allocate all casualties. This, combined with "most models wins" objectives...

WAAC happens as a result of poor rules. Player responsibility is one thing, but shoddy RAW with ambiguous RAI ruins it for everyone except That Guy.
>>
>>53964647

if you manage to get a rhino into base to base contact with a godhammer pattern landraider then he deserves whats coming to him
>>
>>53964784

the conga line is shit tho
>>
>>53964742

You've got enough there to play a basic game of about 1000 points. As long as your opponent isn't doing anything silly it should be a fairly balanced one.

You've got a good core but your army seems to lack some mobility as well as heavy hitting units. I'd suggest the inclusion of rhinos to haul your tactical squads around and some lascannon predators/laser destroyer vindicators/ devastator squads to add some punch.

Likewise converting one of your tactical marine units into a sternguard squad with combi- plasma/melta weapons that you deploy with a drop pod will make a mess of any unit you choose.
>>
>>53964793
My rhinos are faster than the land raider, I have more of them as they're entirely disposable once I've dropped off my squad and if he wastes time shooting them then I've already won as he's burned lascannon shots on a fodder unit in order to avoid an absurdity in the rules. Sure he can split fire now but he'd still be at risk at fluffing the rolls if he only fires say one or two lascannons at the rhino.
>>
>>53964825
Right, since 8th defines squad coherency as everyone being within 2" of at least 1 other model of the unit. Hence you can argue that a unit can be split up into multiple 2-man teams using the buddy system (but if the unit cannot rejoin coherency in a turn, it cannot move).

The funny part is the RAI "the unit moves as a group" can easily be interpreted to mean you move all models in this unit you want to move, before moving onto the next unit, instead of the "models must form an unbroken chain" + example diagrams of 7th.

8th is broken in the movement phase, because the rules themselves are not properly defined.
>>
>>53941209
Great, best edition yet.
>>
File: geedub.jpg (61KB, 558x434px) Image search: [Google]
geedub.jpg
61KB, 558x434px
>>53947760
>I was contacted by GW Legal. They requested that I remove the website and I did. It is their right and I must comply.

I was infringing on their IP with:

GW artwork (featured in the background of your website)
Photographs of GW’s painted miniatures (taken from the GW web store)
Legion logos/ iconography
Army points and stats for 40K units
The Warhammer 40,000 logo

So fuck you nigger
>>
Good god, are people actually defending the fiddly, overcomplicated mess that was
allocating wounds to the closest model?

Few things feel less in the spirit of 40k than forcing sergeants to hide in the back of their squad as it advances.
>>
>>53964784

>not being able to shoot a character because a unit is closer is arbitrary and stupid
>but not being able to shoot a character directly because they've "joined" a unit and are standing 2" away from it is fine
>unironically saying "derp" in the Year of Our Lord MMXVII

It's astounding how people will get hung up on "realism" in certain turn-based tabletop wargame rules, yet turn a blind eye to the equally absurd abstractions that they like.
>>
File: guessimanultrafagnow.jpg (911KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
guessimanultrafagnow.jpg
911KB, 2048x1536px
>>53964852
appreciate the input. I wouldn't have thought I'd have 1k points with so few models. I was painting guns separate for the tacticals, I was planning on doing bolt guns for all of them. should I change that? and when I have them all painted up I can pick up a box of stern guard and later a drop pod. I'd expect the meta to be unclear at the moment but for "punch" would it be better to go for a tank or a devastator squad?
>>
>>53965094
Other than LOS-wound shuffling or odd edgecases ("2 Kauyon squads surround their target and fire simultaneously. Who is the closest"), the rules were pretty clean, made sense w.r.t. cover (this is coming from a guy that abused the shit out of 5e cover mechanics: "if half the squad is in cover, everyone is in cover"), and did theoretically encourage flanking 101. I used a single unit of Horrors for "assassin" duty in this manner, as giving 6+ FNP to a tacsquad was worth sniping out their Grav Cannon.

Truth be told, most sergeants could have stood to have an extra HP anyway but ah well.
>>
>>53965257

The rules were clear-cut, but encouraged a lot of time-consuming and fiddly positioning. "Take whoever you want" worked just fine for older editions, and is so much more elegant.
>>
>>53965196
There's quite a difference between not being able to shoot a Character because he joined a unit (though Look Out Sir could have easily been "ignore the character for allocating wounds until there are no longer any friendly models from the unit within 2", or so), vs not being able to target a Character that is standing out in the open with no cover, no friendly troops to "take a bullet for Sarge", nothing, just because another Conscript is hiding in another building.
>>
My first small game was 20 Necron Warriors and an Overlord with a warscythe and res orb vs 10 Eldar Guardians, a Vyper, 5 Dire Avengers, and Nightspear. Expecting a loss but smashed my cousin's Eldar. He was expecting 7th edition like performance from his army.
>>
>>53965326
I forget how 3rd handled it, and I skipped on 6th, but wasn't 4th limited by range (which led to shenanigans like "Lash-sniping")? I remember 5th had "torrent of fire" meaning you allocated all wounds before making saves, which led to musical wounds but also meant you could snipe out hidden specials/sergeants if you had units that could throw down enough weight of fire.

I don't believe any system has done "defender allocates casualties at will, regardless of range, line of sight, etc".
>>
>>53965204
Just a quick simple tip for your painting: Place a very small white dot in the upper corners of your eye lenses. It sounds stupid but it gives the illusion that they're reflective, yours are looking a bit flat. Incredible painting for a new player though.
>>
>>53964647
Except the land raider CAN fire. It can fire it's heavy bolter and heavy flamer into melee, and it's other weapons outside of melee. It's also pretty devastating in melee itself so your rhino is going to get pulped while it fires it's weapons as freely as it always could.
>>
Are most people using the points or the power levels for making lists?
>>
>>53965743
You're thinking of the Baneblade. Land Raiders don't have that rule; their only ability is they can ignore the -1 to-hit penalty with Heavy Weapons.
>>
>>53965350
You could do exactly the same in 7th. You could have a character twice the size of that conscript join his unit and stand in front of him, or even in front of a wall that the conscript is behind, and that conscript could take hits for him.
>>
>>53964886

>he thinks rhinos are disposable in 8th
>>
>>53965204

>wouldn't have thought I'd have 1k points

Captain in terminator armour 122

40 marines 520

10 scouts 110

Venerable dread, power fist, twin las 180

That's all without any wargear beyond the dread so you've got about 70 odd points to spend on that to bring you to 1000.

The meta is also all over the place at the moment because new edition so I couldn't much tell you exactly what's good. This edition does seem to favour infantry so my gut would say devastators although lascannon predators/laser destroyer vindicators seem decent and painting endless marines can be a bit dull.
>>
>>53966106

pretty sure he ment 3 extra marine models, not 3 extra marine squads

13 marines, not 40
>>
>>53966149
>>53966106
Correct, I have 13 tact marines in total.
>>53965448
I'll give that a try! I'm unhappy with their eyes. I also picked up those technical gemstone paints from citadel
>>
>>53966149
Who has 3 marines.

What is this inquisitor?
>>
>>53943694
>>53943703
Both of the things you picked out for meme immortality were in 7th edition.

Random charge rolls have existed since 6th, and the Independent Character rule also meant you couldn't target important characters because there were tiny grunts in the way.

7th edition was not a realistic war game. It was a clusterfuck of unwieldy mechanics and unfluffy netlists. 8th edition has at least solved one of those two problems, and the other one is just a matter of not playing against cunts.

Also you clearly haven't actually played 8th edition.
>>
>>53966345
Theres a paint-set for beginners that comes with 3 snapfit Ultramarines. He probably has it.
>>
>>53957032
Are you going to play 40k too?
>>
>>53941543
>>53952910
Thank you both. It does my heart good to see other heavily vetted players having this much agreement.

8th is exactly what my Tyranids needed. Now I have the power of shock troops, mobility and swarms at my disposal again. This has been such a blessing! I can field an army that I want without being penalized by the system. I can play units that I normally skip out on because now they have more viability. I don't have to worry about Vehicles as much as I used to and I have plenty of options against Flyers now as well.
>>
>>53966706
yup, first 4k purchase and a bad one at that. just 4 base colors 2 shades a white layer and that mud stuff for basing. also kind of railroaded me into ultramarines as the chapter markings were stamped into the shoulders and a transfer sheet was nowhere to be seen.
>>
>>53966796
Yeah I suppose a good piece of general advice is to avoid most of gws products like the plague .

Buy your models from eBay and alternative retailers where you'll get a discount. Buy your paints from other companies too such as army painter and Vallejo.
>>
>>53966796
Well, it's just three marines and some tiny pots of paint. You could've switched. Then again, they're marines, you can be sure once the rest of the primaris come out, there will be a lot of unopened boxes on ebay for cheap, if you want to start anew.
Also, your chapter will never be squatted or be irrelevant, so that's a bonus.
>>
>>53941209
I haven't looked forward to playing 40k since 5th end dropped. 8th is like a breath of fresh air.

>>53941398
Since you started in 4th you aren't to know but the start of 3rd was much the same. Super bland lists in the back of the main rule book so you could get stuff on the field and as codexes came out they fleshed out the armies
>>
It's just boring. Every Character gives a 6" buff of 're-roll something'. Psychic phase is even harder, to outright impossible for some armies, to counter, which is balanced only by there being less variety in it. Some armies (e.g. Nids) are still vastly more powerful than others. Terrain is considered 'advanced rules' for God's sake. 7th was a piece of shit, but 8th is just unengaging and painfully bland.
>>
How the fuck do i kill tau units when they have an endless amount of drones to stick in front?
>>
>>53966636
You didn't roll to charge things with vehicles. The real issue more than anything else was that they got rid of charging from non-assault transports in 6th. While 8th lets you disembark and charge, it eliminates most move&disembark, or firepoints (you know, one of the only reasons to take a Rhino instead of spamming Razorbacks).

While Tank Shock was...finicky (see: "Rhino destroy stormsurge" buttpain), I have my reservations that "vehicles can charge and be engaged in melee" was the right route. Maybe some sort of model displacement based on strength diff, so you could have Ogryns halt a Rhino, but a Land Raider could slam a Warbuggy out of the way.

As is, I've seen tanks being corralled in by infantry, reduced from being a spearhead/tank to guns on bumpercars. Naturally, Eldar don't care about those other nerfs.
>>
This new index/codex format is triggering me... anyone know what fonts GW use?
>>
>>53943694
Unit positioning needs to come back, and templates need to be an optional rule. Otherwise, I'm fine.
>>
>>53943703
Ollaniuspius.jpg

Maybe that's what happened on Horus's flagship. He wanted to attack the Emprah but that damn conscript was in the way!
>>
Played my first game of 8th today, and I along with everyone I know that has loved it.

It's still got tactical depth, each faction now has a fighting chance against others, but it has been streamlined (which was needed).

Some things don't change. Another win for the 'Crons.
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.