[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General Urban Horror Edition This th

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 104

File: ysggeneralpic.jpg (96KB, 500x665px)
ysggeneralpic.jpg
96KB, 500x665px
/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

Urban Horror Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian /tg/ (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
>>???→

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
http://www.eldritchdark.com
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
https://mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
https://mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
https://vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend things to put in the next OP
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads
>>
THREAD QUESTION

In most Lovecraft stories the horror is set in rural isolated locations (Colour out of Space, Dunwich Horror, Shadows over Innsmouth, Whispers in Darkness). How can / how have you moved Lovecraftian horror to urban populated locations and maintained the same terror?
>>
>>53939392
Emphasize the mass casualty incident when whatever it is gets out of hand. Show your players all the collateral damage, the chaos, the destruction.
>>
>>53939594
I'm personally struggling with the idea that there are so many ways for the investigators to get help. There surrounded by people who reduce the feeling of being threatened.
>>
File: 69260594.jpg (135KB, 512x465px) Image search: [Google]
69260594.jpg
135KB, 512x465px

How about the Delta Green books, which have been recommended every thread for the last several months

>Old DG

>Delta Green 6th edition - http://www.mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC+-+DG+-+Rulebook+-+Delta+Green+Rulebook.pdf
>CoC Delta Green - http://www.mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
>Countdown - http://www.mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC+-+DG+-+Rulebook+-+Countdown.pdf

>New DG

>Need to Know - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta%20Green%20Need%20to%20Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook - http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
>Case Officer's Handbook Preview https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E

>Shotgun Scenarios at Fairfield Project
>http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios

>>53939392
The Horror at Red Hook and The Haunter of the Dark are set in populated areas, to name just two.

>>53939784
Most people are either useless or actively harmful in a disaster situation. This goes double if the disaster is something contagious. Everyone exposed to supernatural phenomena is a potential threat vector.
>>
>>53939392
The stories in urban areas include strange, simple minded and swarthy seaside folk, who usually end up being servants or cultists of the eldritch gods. They might work for a mystic or strange hermit or they might work for a rich man who has strange meetings in his basement.

There is also a story about strange middle eastern or island based foreigners, who live in the foreign district and have strange meeting in a rich man's house. The rich man starts to look younger and more vital. Also children in the area are going missing.

The final option I can think of are cultists with the powers to shape shift or mind control others or straight up fish people who come from the ocean can also shape-shift and hide in large trench coats and hats. Most of the urban areas are near a lake, ocean or river.

Or crazy hermits who hold up in a hotel or boarding house who and have a terrifying secret.
>>
File: peter-mohrbacher-chokhmahf.jpg (74KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
peter-mohrbacher-chokhmahf.jpg
74KB, 533x800px
>>53939353
how do rpg cthulu mythos?
>>
>>53939784
right now my players are against the de Monte clan, ghouls who are actively use shapeshifting magic and actually blend into society. Also they can obviously steal the memories of dead persons, so it's pretty much a problem of anyone can be the enemy.
Though they hired some private investigators to investigate some of the persons they think to be ghouls although they didn't realized yet that one of the investigators got eaten by a ghoul through this investigation and already feeding them false information and try to get them into a trap
>>
So when does humanity die?

Im not sure if lovecraft gave an exact date but it wouldn't be too presumtuous to set the end of humanity somewhere in the 21st century
>>
>>53943304
whenever you as a GM wants it to end, but preferably during the second or third session if we are talking about the humanity inside your player's characters. around fifth to sixth the humainty of your players should die
>>
>>53943343
I was talking about humanity in general.

Afaik Uncle Nya was going to end humanity at some point and i wanted to incorperate that into a campaign
>>
>>53943399
well, whenever you want it, you are the GM
>>
>>53939353

Hate to be a Retard

I can't find the 7th Edition Keepers handbook and the download link for CoC stuff didn't seem to have the PDF for the Keepers Handbook. Does anyone know where I can download it for free?
>>
File: IMG_20170203_182601_339.jpg (1MB, 1918x1918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_182601_339.jpg
1MB, 1918x1918px
>>53939353
Ya boi from the great race will have my back regardless the scenario.
Finally get to post muh art :)
>>
File: CthulhuFluxx_3D_Cover.jpg (108KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
CthulhuFluxx_3D_Cover.jpg
108KB, 288x288px
Do you play this?
>>
File: LovecraftSpaceOpera.pdf (279KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
LovecraftSpaceOpera.pdf
279KB, 1x1px
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit?pref=2&pli=1

How about the mythos in the sci-fi future? (Not CthulhuTech)
File and link related
>>
File: Court of Owls.jpg (47KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
Court of Owls.jpg
47KB, 600x350px
>>53939392
Secret society of the cities aristocrats.Classic conspiracy.
>>
>>53944051
Da archive has it probably
>>
File: rlyeh_by_decepticoin-d4ov954.jpg (198KB, 900x616px) Image search: [Google]
rlyeh_by_decepticoin-d4ov954.jpg
198KB, 900x616px
Page 9 bump
>>
File: Old_Man_Henderson.jpg (65KB, 365x500px) Image search: [Google]
Old_Man_Henderson.jpg
65KB, 365x500px
>>
File: 8K40678.jpg (124KB, 1052x547px) Image search: [Google]
8K40678.jpg
124KB, 1052x547px
>>
It's a shame these threads always die so quickly. Would anyone be interested in reading a WIP Vietnam "snake eater" type scenario?
>>
>>53947026
Sure why not
>>
File: Montanyards Around A Fire.pdf (344KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Montanyards Around A Fire.pdf
344KB, 1x1px
>>53947098
>>
>>53944742
I'm currently starting a campaign set in Hollywood and this is more or less the overall plot, maybe with some bizarre criminal elements thrown in for good measure.
>>
>>53939392

Read the 'Horror at Red Hook'
>>
>>53943304
>>53943399
Don't forget the future empire of Tsan-Chan
http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/tsan-chan
>>
>>53947145
Well, that looks like a fun adventure.
>>
A friend of mine bought the Call of Cthulu PHB (or equivalent) and we made characters but haven't played the game yet (probably this weekend).

How is it?

I made a "photojournalist", it's the 1920's setting.
My guy works at a newspaper, he's basically a paparazzi and he stalks celebrities, actresses, singers, pin up models, industrialists and heirs/heiresses.
He's also a faggot but I'm appropriately going to keep that hidden due to the time period.

I hope I don't get tentacle raped.
>>
>>53948673
>I hope I don't get tentacle raped.

That's a lie
that's a lie
that's a lie lie lie
>>
>>53948673
i love CoC. if your GM is good, its some of the most fun you can have at the table. as for tentacle rape, just don't confront monsters head on. use your head you will be okay.
>>
>>53948813
Our DM is a new DM

We've played D&D for a few years but he's never been a DM before
>>
>>53948830
well i should have said, id he reads the keepers tome, and is imaginative you will have fun. it also helps if he brushes up om some of lovecrafts work itself. (not just fan discussion of it)
>>
File: 1289710510012.png (5KB, 283x167px) Image search: [Google]
1289710510012.png
5KB, 283x167px
>>53948811
It's not
I hope it doesn't happen
But if it does I'm just gonna roll with it
>>
>>53947145
I want more of this. I would 100% run it.
>>
>>53939784
help from who though?
>>
>>53943399
Nyarny's the last one wanting to end humanity
he just wants to change/deform humanity
>>
>>53944401
fuck no
>>
>>53952883
Well that would probably literally be the end of humanity

Hybrid deep ones aren't really human u know
>>
>>53953103
nyarly isn't really in the deep one business though
>>
>>53940131
Speaking of Delta Green, I've been wanting to get into it for a while but can't find a group. I've been trying to brush up on my DG lore in the meanwhile, but I'd like a brief summary on this.

What exactly is MJ-12 and why does Delta Green oppose them?
>>
>>53953552

MJ-12 was founded after the Roswell saucer crash to investigate the presence of alien life on earth. They fell hook, line, and sinker for the Grey lie.

Delta Green generally opposes them for several reasons:
1) They have zero qualms about kidnapping (or allowing the Greys to kidnap) and experimenting on American citizens
2) They are trying to use and develop unnatural technology
3) They generally do some fucked up stuff (like OUTLOOK Group.)

Not all MJ-12 sub-organizations are this bad, but the Steering Committee is largely a bunch of power-hungry amoral bastards, and they're the ones who control the whole thing.

There are some good MJ-12 operatives, like General Bell (director of MJ-5 MOON DUST) and Colonel Coffey (commander of BLUE FLY.)
>>
>>53944101
That is a great fucking drawing dude.
>>
>>53953552
>>53954039
Important to note, in the new edition fiction, mj12 was all but folded into/taken over by delta green. So in the new edition you have a government backed, beauracratic but we'll funded Delta Green, and the secret conspiracy delta green theoretically running side by side. And a lot of the bad old mj12 dudes may or may not be running the show at the government dg.
>>
Anyone got favorite art of the King in Yellow? I've pretty much saved everything I could find off of google
>>
>>53954141

Yeah, if you want the new lore on the coup, it's in Through a Glass, Darkly. I'm sure the new rulebook will expand on it whenever it comes out (should be in the next month or so.)
>>
>>53954392
Does anyone have a PDF of that book?
>>53954282
That is some incredibly awesome King in Yellow art!
>>
>>53955539
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r45kth69kmtuskw/AACxsEdiwcNSl_2IAaaI64Cja?dl=0
>>
>>53955927
Many thanks, friend.
>>
I love using horror in a urban setting. It's a false sense of security and I like to pick away at it piece by piece to create tension. Isolation, in the wilderness or remote places, simply means they're cut off from society, it's resources, and the help of other people. How would you do that in an urban setting? Socially.

Ex. No one believes a word they say because everyone believes the PC's are crazy and spouting gibberish or are even dangerous (best used after if they've already lost SAN). Authorities are uncooperative, belligerent, suspect the PCs, or even outright hostile. Pedestrians don't want to get involved, avoid eye contact, are defensive. Make it seem like the world is out to get them, just like you would in a physically remote setting. Stop looking at urban surroundings as a safety net and look for opportunities to turn those things into a liability.

The trick is to do it without railroading. A Cthulhu game I ran years ago had a finale set in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. A cult was summoning a BBEG there with the intent of making an offering out of the Greater Boston Area. Knowing they couldn't convince the police a dangerous cult was practicing sorcery there the PCs called in a bomb threat. Now, the easy thing would've been to say "your cellphone doesn't work" or some shit (happens all the time in horror movies right?) but that wouldn't have gone over very well. Instead I had the cops show up, storm up the stairs, guns raised, and run right up to the cultist leading the ceremony. From the PCs' position across the street they could see words being exchanged. Then the cultist and lead officer shook hands, followed by the rest of the police taking defensive positions around the museum to guard the ceremony. The cops were in on it you see. In trying to use society's advantages to aid them, they only made their situation worse. That's isolation.
>>
>>53953552
>What exactly is MJ-12
A hoax based on a fraudulent set of documents, wildly popular with UFO buffs yet rightly disregarded as a conspiracy theory by normal people.

>why does Delta Green oppose them?
Delta Green is a terrorist group formed to fight imaginary monsters. It's only natural that they'd oppose something which doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1445790713125.jpg (58KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1445790713125.jpg
58KB, 600x450px
>Elder gods

I sure hope you guys don't do this
>>
File: UTLErsm.jpg (592KB, 2282x1530px) Image search: [Google]
UTLErsm.jpg
592KB, 2282x1530px
>Younger gods

Cancer, plain and simple
>>
>>53956520
Gtfo MJ-12 disinfo shill
>>
Alright, so I've been writing up a CoC 7th edition adventure for my group (we're going to run some modules to get the hang of it first) and I've come to the conclusion that the end result of this adventure could result in a massive shoot out in an American high school with tons dead, as the plot revolves around an evil cultist killing a specific student at a specific night with the aid of the rest of his cult, a serial killer he gave body disposing powers to, and a teenage girl who agreed to serve him in exchange for vampirism.

An effective use of modern themes to generate horror, or an edgelord mess that probably needs a rewrite? I really didn't realize how bad it all sounded until I went to review my first draft.
>>
>>53953103
It's more like Nyarlathotep wants to turn humanity into the servants and willing sacrifices to Mythos creatures and Gods, in general

If there were no more humans to corrupt he'd probably feel pretty empty
>>
>>53940131
>How about the Delta Green books, which have been recommended every thread for the last several months
Seriously, OP.
>>
>>53957384
When's the shootout supposed to happen if the cultist needs to kill the student at night? Or are the serial killer/vamp girl going to just go nuts at the school looking for the one person
>>
>>53957384
I hope you know the people in the group well enough before considering running this theme.

So it's written such that the players can't prevent any deaths? And how will the police get involved, as one would expect in modern day? Btw serial killers aren't commonly mass shooters, those are two different things
>>
>>53957605
Well, to explain in full, the cult leader is a wizard from the Pathfinder setting we'd been playing in for awhile so I wrote this adventure as a transition. He wants to break down a dwarven hero's axe to pilfer the life crystals from inside so he can heal deep, deforming burns he suffered in a magic experiment. The axe is an artifact though, so it can only break if a goblin uses it to decapitate a dwarven king. Well in his world dwarves have been a clan based democracy for a thousand years, so no kings exist.

So he crossed dimensions into this world, and is conspiring to get a student at the school born with medical dwarfism elected prom king, then send a bunch of his minions to attack to the school to see a goblin behead him. So it'll be a packed prom night being attacked by a vampire, zombies, a serial killer, gun wielding cultists and a few assorted monsters he's conjured up. In addition, PCs don't have to be high school students (the other two plot threads are following the serial killer or the cow mutilating the cult does to perform summonings) so they might be armed as well.

Just a whole adventure that has really good odds of escalating to a bunch of high school students being shot to death.
>>
Did anyone here back the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter? I'm hoping to get the final version PDF but it's not available for sale
>>
>>53957729

This sounds campy as fuck (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but not very Lovecraftian at all.
>>
File: 13524335.jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
13524335.jpg
22KB, 500x375px
>Case Officer's Handbook manuscript is now available to KS backers
It's coming, boys. Anybody else reading it?
>>
>>53957729
That sounds absolutely nothing like a mythos game, and it sounds like Call of Cthulhu is not the right game to pull this off. You might want to try and just run a different game entirely if your goal is to make your Pathfinder game transition into a modern setting.

This is a prime example of how 3.PF fags have ruined the hobby.
>>
File: sheriff.gif (62KB, 387x291px) Image search: [Google]
sheriff.gif
62KB, 387x291px
>>53957781

Yep.

>mfw zombies can shrug off cruise missiles with impunity
>>
>>53957729
School shootings are always going to sound edgy but the entire scenario isn't as bad as you've made it out to be. Give your PCs an option to tamper with or jam the cultist's guns or something.
>>
>>53957807
I just started reading it, what the fuck is this about?
>>
>>53957792

Agree.

>>53957890

Zombies cause lethality rolls to automatically fail (meaning you do just 2d10 damage.) However, they also halve damage from any source (rounding up), and have 15 HP. So if you fire an atomic weapon at a zombie, the 90% lethality fails, and it takes between 10 and 1 damage. It will survive with between 14 and 5 HP.
>>
>>53957951
That sounds like a really fucking stupid mechanic that will need some heavy houseruling. I guess our boys down in Delta Green HQ can't do math for shit.
>>
How would I go about making a new monster for my CoC campaign?
>>
>>53957951
God damn, it's a good thing they're looking for feedback.
>>
>>53958010
>Take a sea creature
>Screw around with it
>Give it a superpower
>???
>Profit
>>
>>53958008

Yeah. I'll just drop the "lethality rolls auto-fail" part, the halving regular damage seems fine. That way, things like grenades and small arms will struggle to put one down, but a bomb or Hellfire will destroy them with ease.

>>53958010

What sort of themes are you going for? Where does it come from? Who does it serve (if it is lucid enough to understand such a concept?)
>>
File: TNGCaption31a.jpg (36KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
TNGCaption31a.jpg
36KB, 694x530px
>>53957729
You are literally the worst.
>>
>>53957729
I love it lol
Probably should look for another system though. Nothing about this is CoC, so you get no benefit from the system. It's NOT a combat system. Also there's no point in the cultists having guns (CoC cultists rarely use conventional weapons). They need to behead one kid, a shooting spree makes no sense and actually endangers their mission, no? And what does this cult worship? What are they summoning and what does that have to do with your main thread?

Finally, having multiple threats with different agendas/allegiances engaging the investigators at the same time is sloppy. I think wizard + lackeys all trying to accomplish your main task is all you need.
>>
>>53958053
My campaign is about the investigators trying to find a missing girl and at some point they find out that she is already dead.
It takes place in New York and is set in the modern day.
I was thinking of having a serial killer obsessed with a specific god but I am not sure about that yet.
>>
>>53958125
I was also thinking of having him be posessed by something but I can't really think of something that would be lovecraftian that would possess him
>>
>>53958125
>My campaign is about the investigators trying to find a missing girl and at some point they find out that she is already dead.
>It takes place in New York and is set in the modern day.
So you're running Night Floors?
>>
>>53958125

Alright, so the creature kills humans (or has killed at least one human.) Does it do so for sport, does it live off of blood, is it just an opportunistic predator, or was it a total accident and it never even noticed her?

Is it something the investigators can kill? What about just drive off temporarily with a hasty ritual or some big fucking explosions? Can they even damage it at all without using dangerous magic?
>>
>>53958125
Go the Silent Hill route and have the players think it's a serial killer but it's really an underground cult trying to rebirth their god.

The girl who they thought was dead is the new avatar of the god
>>
>>53958159

If you're up for it, a great "possess" opponent is the Great Race of Yith. Perhaps the Great Race used this killer to repair the timeline in some way. Opens the window for some great insane rants from the guy about the endless library and the floating custodians...where you ask? Not where, but when...
>>
>>53958194
>Alright, so the creature kills humans (or has killed at least one human.) Does it do so for sport, does it live off of blood, is it just an opportunistic predator, or was it a total accident and it never even noticed her?
Noooooo...do not come up with concrete answers to these questions. Explaining the unknown is not Lovecraft. In fact it's better if the creature's actions and apparent motivations are contradictory or inconsistent.
>>
>>53958173
Yeah basically, might change it from New York to a small town because I have been watching a shit ton of twin peaks as of late.
>>53958194
It does so for sport, It has a strong obsession with it's victims.
Investigators can kill it with some work.
>>
>>53958248

Not to tell his players, for himself, so he at least has some idea of why/what/how/etc. Obviously you're not handing them the monster sheet when they encounter it.
>>
>>53958125
In modern NYC your monster has to either be a mimic or otherwise undetectable otherwise it would get noticed
I'm thinking that most Lovecraftian monsters wouldn't necessarily leave a body. Like I was thinking a ghoul would work, but then how would the investigators find out she's dead?
>>
>>53957792
>>53957775
To be honest, I realized that pretty early into writing it. I played Call back in high school but the rest of the group hasn't, though they're deep enough into the gaming community that they get what the game is like. I deliberately wrote the game as a transitional game before getting really Lovecraftian, kinda a pulpy science-horror adventure but might have gone too far.
>>53957843
I mean, as it's written, that's the worst case scenario. They have plenty of opportunities to shut it all down before it gets that far.
>>53958061
Yeah, probably.
>>53958068
Do you have a recommendation for a better system?

And the various threats are all serving the wizard. The cult has been granted magic knowledge from another dimension by him, the girl has been promised eternal youth and beauty (vamparism) and the serial killer has been given the magic ability to completely vanish his victim's bodies, making it easier to get away with.
>>
>>53958286
Strongly Disagree. The monster should do whatever is necessary for an interesting/fun/scary scenario, even if that is inconsistent with its previous behaviour. Consistent motivations, even on the GM side, are a bad idea for a Lovecraftian horror game.
>>
>>53958300
Why not just dump them into a more typical CoC scenario instead of setting a weird president by combining two games with completely different, and many would argue, conflicting playstyles?
>>
File: Vosk.jpg (72KB, 478x478px) Image search: [Google]
Vosk.jpg
72KB, 478x478px
>>53940131
>>Case Officer's Handbook Preview https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E

>The Time War: To some, it appears that the Great Race are in unceasing combat
with the immaterial forces of the Lloigor. While the Great Race pines for a future of
nuclear destruction where humanity has perished, the Lloigor seem aimed to
facilitate a future where humanity has survived to degenerate into horror, revelling in
killing and joy like the Great Old Ones. These two outcomes appear—from the
human perspective—to be diametrically opposed. But who knows?

HELL YEAH NERDS

WE TEMPORAL COLD WAR NOW
>>
>>53958868
>the metaplot is a war between intangible blobs of energy that live underground and disembodied minds that live in the past, neither of which the players can interact with in any way

A+ 10/10 game design

So far the handler's book is a mixed bag of great story hooks and retarded nonsense. I just now got through the bestiary, which hasn't really changed much since the last preview.
>>
File: 1493636642500.jpg (2MB, 1788x1265px) Image search: [Google]
1493636642500.jpg
2MB, 1788x1265px
>>
File: 1494107313915.jpg (31KB, 564x398px) Image search: [Google]
1494107313915.jpg
31KB, 564x398px
>>
File: 1496168131554.jpg (75KB, 553x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496168131554.jpg
75KB, 553x720px
>>
File: 1492764139815.jpg (63KB, 736x667px) Image search: [Google]
1492764139815.jpg
63KB, 736x667px
>>
File: 1493489868035.jpg (2MB, 2795x2795px) Image search: [Google]
1493489868035.jpg
2MB, 2795x2795px
>>
File: f37.jpg (250KB, 578x578px) Image search: [Google]
f37.jpg
250KB, 578x578px
>>
File: IMG_20160820_023543.jpg (994KB, 1628x1628px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160820_023543.jpg
994KB, 1628x1628px
>>53954053
Ty. Always try to make the immersion for DnD sessions up there. I work along side the dm to figure what types of monsters or other kinds we would eventually meet!
Custom tokens is my 2nd facorite thing to do
>>
File: 1496552154980.jpg (703KB, 1920x1996px) Image search: [Google]
1496552154980.jpg
703KB, 1920x1996px
>>
So I just made characters with my group, we are doing our first session of CoC next week.

>4 young secular bachelors with careers and interest that parelel their players.

How do I inspire my group to be more creative?
>>
>>
>>53960777
They all sound like regular Lovecraft protagonists. They'll go mad and die just fine.
>>
File: 1494243092613.jpg (209KB, 780x660px) Image search: [Google]
1494243092613.jpg
209KB, 780x660px
>>
>>53960777
give them the choice or randomly give them different extra things for their background, for instance, you have 4 players, roll 1d4 and have different backgrounds given to them
>ww1 veteran
>has family connections to the mafia
>was born in another country
>had a previous occupation but no longers does it (explain why)
>has children or a spouse
>is writing a book
>is learning a new language
>was attacked when they were young by something
>has recurring nightmares or dreams, usually with a central theme
>enjoys the outdoors and wilderness (sea,woods,mountains,desert etc.)
>has a lisp or mannerism, some tick that they suddenly acquired
>is drawn to different locations for an unknown reason (libraries, caves, beaches, warehouses)
just get them to pick one and maybe try and work it into the story
>>
File: 2vxrv0wzscyy.jpg (44KB, 1565x1291px) Image search: [Google]
2vxrv0wzscyy.jpg
44KB, 1565x1291px
post yfw dm asks for a sanity without telling you why
>>
File: 1496575440935.jpg (90KB, 564x679px) Image search: [Google]
1496575440935.jpg
90KB, 564x679px
>>
I need 1920s investigator art. Photos would be amazing too. Anyone help a brother out? My groups having a rough time finding stuff they like
>>
File: 1493199151361.jpg (149KB, 800x631px) Image search: [Google]
1493199151361.jpg
149KB, 800x631px
>>
>>53961046
But that would just be my regular "I'm playing CoC" face.

Why, does you Keeper routinely tell you why you're rolling sanity?
>>
>>53939392
What about instead of modern, western cities, have a story set in some strange foreign city during like the 18th-19th century. Maybe you're working for the British East India company or some other colonial power that's just recently taken control over some city and is starting to establish its power. Ancient, still-standing tombs and temples, a complex maze of alleyways and bazaars, dark and cloudy opium dens. All seems like a good environment to discover unknowable horror.
>>
I'm planning a Campaign to take players through the entirety of the Delta Green Timeline from The Innsmouth Raid to present day. Kinda the Pendragon Campaign of Cthulhu. Roughly how many investigations per in-game year sounds reasonable for something like this? I was thinking anywhere from 1 or 2 in the early years due to a slower rate of communication and intelligence gathering with 2 to 4 towards the modern era.
>>
File: detective geralt.jpg (127KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
detective geralt.jpg
127KB, 1191x670px
>>53961081
>>
File: thuggish detective.jpg (165KB, 762x1077px) Image search: [Google]
thuggish detective.jpg
165KB, 762x1077px
>>53961485
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
>>53961485
>No ponytail
>>
>>53961081
2nd the request for photos. If anyone has a good dump it would be appreciated. Im doing a game on roll20 and it has a old timey photograph aesthetic going right now.

and silent monster movie music
>>
File: gonna exorcise some demons.png (766KB, 774x938px) Image search: [Google]
gonna exorcise some demons.png
766KB, 774x938px
>>53961529
Not exactly detectives, but I'll dump what I can
>>
>>53961549
>>
>>53961549
Thanks Anon!
>>
File: 1462734239427.jpg (131KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
1462734239427.jpg
131KB, 500x710px
>>53961562
>>
File: M60 patton.jpg (158KB, 961x480px) Image search: [Google]
M60 patton.jpg
158KB, 961x480px
what would be a good vehicle to go toe-tot-toe with shoggoths and star spawn?
my investigators are about to find some military gear left behind in a national guard armory, which has been taken over by cultists
i want an action packed finale where they go full action hero after spending all their time in the shadows

pic slightly related
>>
File: 1472612203868.jpg (52KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1472612203868.jpg
52KB, 400x533px
>>53961570
>>
File: some sorta desert soldier.jpg (61KB, 676x960px) Image search: [Google]
some sorta desert soldier.jpg
61KB, 676x960px
>>53961579
>>
File: poke the demon.jpg (196KB, 1000x719px) Image search: [Google]
poke the demon.jpg
196KB, 1000x719px
>>53961583
>>
File: trench raiders.jpg (91KB, 804x540px) Image search: [Google]
trench raiders.jpg
91KB, 804x540px
>>53961585
>>
File: wedding, Izu Islands.jpg (81KB, 1086x814px) Image search: [Google]
wedding, Izu Islands.jpg
81KB, 1086x814px
>>53961595
>>
File: Rupert of Hentzau 4.jpg (94KB, 500x643px) Image search: [Google]
Rupert of Hentzau 4.jpg
94KB, 500x643px
>>53961607
>>
File: WW1 soldiers in armor.jpg (156KB, 1200x882px) Image search: [Google]
WW1 soldiers in armor.jpg
156KB, 1200x882px
>>53961612
>>
File: 1497021139924.jpg (260KB, 1200x948px) Image search: [Google]
1497021139924.jpg
260KB, 1200x948px
>>53961620
>>
File: Mosley and Blackshirts.jpg (265KB, 778x783px) Image search: [Google]
Mosley and Blackshirts.jpg
265KB, 778x783px
>>53961630
>>
>>53961644
>>
>>53961654
>>
>>53961663
>>
>>53961676
>>
>>53961683
>>
File: lucky bastard.jpg (136KB, 900x1197px) Image search: [Google]
lucky bastard.jpg
136KB, 900x1197px
>>53961691
>>
>>53961700
>>
File: diver finds the tesseract.jpg (191KB, 925x1199px) Image search: [Google]
diver finds the tesseract.jpg
191KB, 925x1199px
>>53961707
Unless you want more soldiers and just general photos from around that time period, that's about it
>>
>>53961732
These are good. More then I expected. Thanks anon
>>
File: 1315169835278.jpg (143KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1315169835278.jpg
143KB, 1280x1024px
>>53954282
>>
File: yellow sine.png (95KB, 598x399px) Image search: [Google]
yellow sine.png
95KB, 598x399px
>>53961825
>>
>>53961081
>>
File: 1486159767657.jpg (200KB, 674x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486159767657.jpg
200KB, 674x1024px
>>
>>53958248
Lovecraft obviously had the answers for his own use, you moron.
>>
What do you guys think of the new lore with respect to the Program/Group?
>>
>>53939392
Idk if anyone else mentioned this but in a urban areas talking about Cthulhu shit will get you locked in the loony bin.

I played a one shot where I was a "legitimate" business man, I went to go wack a nut job. When I walked into the ol' chumps apartment I caught him doing whacky shit with magic looking literal shit circles. The sucka then offed himself. After seeing that I started seeing some crazy shit everywhere. So I went to an old pals place, a guy who did a bunch of reading on that stuff. Long story short he was dead. And anyone I try to talk to all subtitle like implied I should be in the loony bin. So I did some long winded researching of my own with some goofy folk and bish bosh kaboom I ended up in the spirit world or some shit and meet up with that whacko I was supposed to off in the first place.

I died. My Bois took care of the folk who set me up like that. (The librarian and doctor that helped me do the ritual.)
>>
>>53958125
Make a plot twist that child that was murdered is the actual monster and is merely immobilized until the autopsy happens
>>
>>
File: 1460135130897.gif (105KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460135130897.gif
105KB, 700x400px
>>
File: garmrkidar-d7c8oc0.jpg (447KB, 1061x751px) Image search: [Google]
garmrkidar-d7c8oc0.jpg
447KB, 1061x751px
Sup /ysg/

I'm looking for art with a Lovecraftian bent- alien and otherworldly landscapes. Like when the space between dimensions is torn and openings to other realms appear. This thread is probably the best place I could find anything like that. I have some images like this, shall I post a few?
>>
>>53961477
Three players has always been the magic number for me in any game.
>>
File: narcosa.jpg (357KB, 1376x930px) Image search: [Google]
narcosa.jpg
357KB, 1376x930px
>>53971552
>>
File: nameless.horror.no.8756.jpg (268KB, 746x534px) Image search: [Google]
nameless.horror.no.8756.jpg
268KB, 746x534px
>>53972928
>>
>>53939353

Taking this opportunity to note the similarity between Yog-Sothoth and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I'm sure it's just coincidence.
>>
>>53940131

Anyone have a link for the new backer manuscript that just went up?
>>
>>53954282
this is my favorite
>>
>>53973375
also this though
>>
>>53954282
>>
Does anyone have a PDF of Cthulhu Live: Delta Green?
>>
>>53973168
See >>53958868

>>53961477
Swap the two

More in the early years when Delta Green was an official conspiracy, since it was their day job, less in the modern era now that it's a secret
>>
>>53974648

Yeah, already have that one, that's the old preview. The full manuscript of the core book was released to backers yesterday. Looking for that one.
>>
File: 1491105311097.jpg (98KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491105311097.jpg
98KB, 768x768px
>>
File: 1496175347233.jpg (561KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496175347233.jpg
561KB, 750x750px
>>
File: 1492136956014.jpg (96KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1492136956014.jpg
96KB, 700x700px
>>
File: 1490182662626.jpg (245KB, 647x864px) Image search: [Google]
1490182662626.jpg
245KB, 647x864px
>>
>>53974573
Seconding this, my friend and I are looking to start our own Delta Green LARP and are looking for inspiration.
>>
>>53939353
Im gonna be honest with you /ysg/, I dont have confidence in my ability to make a good CoC game. Ive run Amidst the Ancient Tree, The Crimson Letters, and The Haunting for my group and they all went over well.

Any recommendations for which 7e module to run next?
>>
>>53978608
Mansions of madness has great scenarios. Another great option is The Stars Are Right if you want to play modern day.
>>
>>53980366
I should mention that they're 6th edition but the keepers rulebook has conversion rules.
>>
>>53978608
try to make your own perhaps, that could be interesting if you've got the time
>>
>>53978608
I know you say you don't have the confidence to make your own, but like >>53980572 says making your own could be interesting. One thing I'd suggest doing is just repainting one of the adventures you've run already just as a way of learning how to dissect what makes a good CoC adventure. Eventually you'll learn what goes into them and you'll be able to make your own.
>>
I just watched AM1200... wow... that was great... awesome Lovecraftian storytelling...
>>
>>53939392
I can only imagine that to maintain the level of cosmic terror HP invokes in his writing on a large urban scale that the danger would have to happen to everyone at once, or at least a strong majority. Perhaps a horror has been dislodged by an earthquake and is now seeping into the local water supply, giving everyone delusions/driving them all mad slowly as the water infects them over time. I am sure there are better ideas but I can't think of any good alternatives to my own.
>>
>>53973168

This. Anybody got the new Core book pdf?
>>
>>53983407
see >>53958868
>>
Page 9 bump.

Don't die on me, /ysg/... You're the best general on all of 4chan...
>>
What supplement are you looking forward to, /ysg/? For me its definitely the PISCES one, I want to see what the Shan and the Army of the Third Eye have been up to after the various shakeups.
>>
>>53985319
Again, that's a fifty page preview, not the full book
>>
>>53988384
>>
File: Making Horror Scenarios.pdf (783KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Making Horror Scenarios.pdf
783KB, 1x1px
>>53978608
It's not as hard as it seems.
>>
>>53988276
Impossible Landscapes is the whole reason I threw as much money at the DG Kickstarter as I did. The King in Yellow stuff for DG is some of my favorite material in Mythos games but I always have a hard time coming up with ways to work all the cool surrealist stuff into a game so a full campaign of that is right up my alley.
>>
>>53943304

In the Shadow out of Time, an Australian physicist is mentioned as dying in 2582 (i might be messing up the last two digits there, but definitely the 2500's).

It's debatable as to whether Tsan-Chan is 'human'.
>>
>>53954141

There's also a lot of new scenarios about "MJ12 was working on something that we lost track of when the merger happened, or someone defected and Shit Goes Bad.."
>>
>>53989761
>Australians
>Human

Nice meme
>>
>>53989806
Jesus, sounds like the Program has a lot on its hands... And the Outlaws too.
>>
>>53939392
9/11. Skyscrapers exploding is great for mass existential terror.
>>
>>53940983
Constantly change the rules as the game is played in such a way that nobody will understand after half an hour and will get mad at you.
>>
File: IMG_2338.jpg (361KB, 1536x1432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2338.jpg
361KB, 1536x1432px
I'm so excited for Invictus 7e.
>>
File: IMG_2339.jpg (419KB, 1536x1619px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2339.jpg
419KB, 1536x1619px
>>53992454
>>
Do y'all still need that Delta Green full text?
>>
>>53992493
I think this is it >>53988456
>>
>>53993007

Indeed it is, thank you.
>>
File: 01.png (175KB, 550x399px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
175KB, 550x399px
>>
File: 1488800999815.jpg (307KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488800999815.jpg
307KB, 1200x800px
>>
File: 1494071282193.jpg (467KB, 1595x1189px) Image search: [Google]
1494071282193.jpg
467KB, 1595x1189px
>>
File: 1494127953730.png (340KB, 472x355px) Image search: [Google]
1494127953730.png
340KB, 472x355px
>>53988456
>After decades of wariness, there was initial rapprochement with GRU SV-8 in the Program’s early days, based on eradicating the remnants of the Karotechia. The organizations retain normalized channels of communication.

>With the rise of Russian expansionism, though, GRU SV-8 became a ruthless competitor as often as an ally, and the Program reduced contact sharply as Russia worked to publicize illegal American intelligence programs and overtly influence U.S. politics.

>At the advent of the Trump administration, with its attention-grabbing ties to Russian oligarchs, the Program has broken contact with GRU SV-8 almost completely.
>>
File: Alphonses-Axioms-for-Agents.pdf (34KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Alphonses-Axioms-for-Agents.pdf
34KB, 1x1px
>>53940131
Hey maybe throw this in too, if we're adding DG stuff.

Does anyone actually have a serious objection to putting Delta Green in the /ysg/ OPs? I only ask because, as anon points out, this has been suggested consistently for the last several months and yet rarely seems to make it in.
>>
>>53996505

I'm not especially wild about that angle, but whatever (Dennis is a huge liberal and I kind of expected that.)
>>
>>53996505
Makes sense. Depending on how deep GRU SV-8 got, the Program could be destroyed, taken over, or worse.
>>
>>53967887
The girl is 19 tho
>>
File: Shub-Niggurath.jpg (82KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
Shub-Niggurath.jpg
82KB, 500x455px
Players don't know it yet, but the ultimate evil in the campaign is Shub-Niggurath. Does she have any alternate names/symbols I can use without giving the game away? There's already goat shit everywhere, but nobody has figured it out yet.
>>
>>53982226
Has anyone else watched it?
>>
>>54001922
The Black Goat, The Eternal Mother/The Brood Mother/Mother/Mommy, and Her/HER
>>
>>53973068
>Taking this opportunity to note the similarity between Yog-Sothoth and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
>I'm sure it's just coincidence.

And this, ladies and gentlemen is the hook for a Delta Green campaign in which C Cell learns the horrible truth and must prevent the word of his noodly appendage from spreading. For the good of mankind...
>>
>>53978608
>Any recommendations for which 7e module to run next?

The great thing about CoC is that the older edition stuff is easy to convert to 7th Edition.

Also, if you want modern scenarios, I cannot say enough great things about "The Things We Leave Behind".
>>
File: smuglovecraft.jpg (22KB, 250x296px) Image search: [Google]
smuglovecraft.jpg
22KB, 250x296px
>>53973068
>>54002133
>atheist group causes an avatar of Yog-Sothoth to appear from non-belief
Oh the irony
>>
>>53991696

Well played, anon.
>>
>>53996702
Yeah, almost every time we get a thread just for DG it can barely sustain itself. Like half of the traffic in /ysg/ is DG players so why not put the links in the OP?
>>
>>54002075

The Dark Young of Shub are tree-like, so you could use that as the basis for imagery. "Mother of the Woods", "The Dryad's Shadow"?
>>
>>54001922
Pretty much any kind of fertility goddess names/symbols can be made to work.
>>
>>54001922

In one Delta Green scenario they call it "the Greedy Fertility." Also, I think they touch on a Shubby cult in Alien Intelligence.
>>
>>53974573
Nobody has this?
>>
>>53966376
>Idk if anyone else mentioned this but in a urban areas talking about Cthulhu shit will get you locked in the loony bin.
Keeping people in the loony bin is EXPENSIVE. I'm pretty sure no-one in this day and age gets locked in the loony bin unless they're either a danger to themselves or others, or clearly can't take care of themselves. Just talking about aliens 'n shit isn't going to get you locked up.
>>
>>53966376
Have you never seen homeless people yelling crazy shit or talking to themselves in public?
>>
File: How to write CoC Senarios.png (425KB, 509x487px) Image search: [Google]
How to write CoC Senarios.png
425KB, 509x487px
>>54005546
Seen yes. Paid attention to any hypothetical warnings about world-eating gods hibernating on the seabed that they were ranting, not so much.
>>
>>54003966
Seconding anons thought. I don`t mind DG stuff since every once and a while it gets my creative juices going on CoC project
>>
>>54002176
do yknow where i can get a pdf for that
>>
>>53939392

"Cool Air" is a pretty good example of this.

Come to think of it, "Cool Air" wasn't really cosmic horror--it was a pretty classic kind of horror. It could accurately be re-named "The zombie living upstairs". But it's still a creepy story by Lovecraft in a very crowded, urban setting.

I think the trick is to compartmentalize. Even the most crowded towns have private spaces. Have something happen there. A single-bedroom apartment. A house on an abandoned lot. A store that's past-closed. That kind of thing. Take a crowded environment and find the lonely, quiet places inside it.

Plus, you could always cheat. "He" (another one by Lovecraft) is a pretty good example of this. The narrator lives in a crowded area of New York City, but finds himself led through some architecturally-iffy back-alleys until he's thoroughly lost inside the maze of New York, in a place that is at once both thoroughly removed from the normal inhabitants and from standard reality.

I guess the moral there is: If you can't plausibly get someone to be alone in the city, *implausibly* get them to be alone in the city.
>>
Don't die, /ysg/!
>>
>>54009078
FIght against the swarming threads push through to page 1!
>>
>>54009078
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
>>
What is some good sci-fi lovecraft stuff? Stuff in the vein of the original Alien? I basically want Lovecraft in Space, and I don't care if it's books, movies, comics, vidya, or tabletop.
>>
>>54001922
The Easter Bunny. Don't accept her eggs.
>>
>>54010509
Try Blindsight by Peter Watts. You can get the book online for free. It's about a bunch of people on a first contact mission who don't realise they're actually in a cosmic horror story.
>>
>>54010509
Dead Space in the sense that it's about a cult using alien horrors for sinister purposes. Event Horizon for similar reasons.
>>
I need to fucking tell someone about this I'm laughing my ass off.
So basicly, one of my Investigators for the Campaign I'm hosting is getting a Contact Nightgaunt spell and by extention a Nightgaunt as a reward for a case closed.

So I'm rolling up the stats for this Nightgaunt and it's final stats are thusly:
STR:90 CON:75 SIZ:70 DEX:60 INT:05 POW:75

My investigator will get the most jacked up oversized strong ass motherfucking willpower Nightgaunt that is so fucking stupid it can't do firstgrade math.
I've been crying for 3 minutes, this is fucking amazing.
>>
>>54012880
It fucking increased to Build 2 from Build 1, is that how it works? Jesus Christ it's huge.
>>
>>54012880
Are you sure you're supposed to roll 1d20*5 as opposed to 5d20?
>>
>>54012915
Build 0 even.
>>
>>54012923
I play 7th edition, so it's actually 3D6 x5.
>>
>>53944717
>http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/tsan-chan
This is pure awesome, is there moar?
>>
>>54010509
Leviathan Wakes aka The Expanse
>>
>>53944101
Damn son, that's nice
>>
>>54012960
Have the actual Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan sourcebook

https://dropfile.to/JNMRFtf
>>
>>54001922
The Black Goat/Ram of the Woods is the standard one, but probably too obvious. Other common names are Magna Mater, Allmother, and Mother of Chaos.
Some possible names I can think that might be fitting: Firstborn Daughter of Darkness, Lady of the Woods, She Who Is Older (than life), Red Queen.
The symbol associated with Shub-Niggurath is usually some kind of stylised goat. One that I like is three goat heads arranged in a way reminiscent of the biohazard symbol.
>>
>>54001922
The Bloated Matron, She Who Eats Death, the Principle of Fecundity, L'Origine du Monde, αὐτο-γέννα
>>
>>54005282
>>54005546
We ran the campaign in the 30s. Why would you run a campaign in modern times? People can't lock you in a loony bin or call the cops ok you just for talking not Christian ideas.

I thought most all CoC campaigns took place in the 1930s-1950s.
>>
>>54017292

Original setting yes, but there's Cthulhu Modern and Delta Green.
>>
>>54001922
Magna Mater, the Unborn Womb, the Whore of Babylon,
>>
>>54001922
You could also try to obscure the Shub-Niggurath connection by using Terms like Mother, Black Goat or even Lifeforce in a different language like french.
>>
>>53996505
Ehhh, rewrite it to be more in touch with reality if you intend to run it. I don't understand why these organizations that realize they are facing down the apocalypse care that much about the meme that is the US Presidential election when an actual deep state exists in fucking setting.
>>
>>54020549
Because it's functionally two deep states in conflict with the Russians attacking the American deep state both directly, interfering with intelligence operations, and indirectly, interfering with the political process. Remember, a deep state in the American context is a relatively isolated and fragile thing and within the DG context MJ-12 just got shitcanned by the very government they were supposed to secretly control.
>>
>>54021516
Now that you say that, I'm perplexed by the fact that MJ-12 got shit canned despite having had the power to remove pretty much anyone who would have suggested such a thing. Sure there was a merger and I'm sure the book that it happened in explained it better but it seems silly at a glance.
>>
>>53939392
L I G O T T I
I
G
O
T
T
I

Rundown movie theaters, old studios, weird philosophy meetings, new towns, festievals, night schools and so much more
>>
>>54021585
It's not that far-fetched. MJ-12 could remove anyone who suggested it, but anyone working subtle could isolate MJ-12 though bureaucratic manipulation. You've also got to remember that MJ-12 was heavily factionalized, any minor setback to any one faction would be exploited by opposing factions rather than being viewed as an attack on the whole. That's not even getting into attacking MJ-12's links to the bureaucracy or other groups actively supporting a MJ-12 downfall. Finally, and most simplistic, if you don't exist then strictly speaking you don't have any authority. By it's nature MJ-12 had to borrow the authority of other groups and secure it's funding through back channels.

Really though, I think the issue is that old DG made MJ-12 too powerful, to the point they were less "shadowy government conspiracy" and more "supervillain group."
>>
>>54022197
My man, The Last Feast of Harlequin is one of the best Lovecraft stories Lovecraft never wrote
>>
>>54022531
I was thinking The Glamour, The Music of the Spheres, The Town Manager, I have A Special Plan for this World and My Work Is Not Yet Done are all perfect for modern city horror.

Hell, literally everything from Songs of a Dead Dreamer works.
>>
>>54022376

Agree on the too powerful thing, especially with shit like OUTLOOK Group.
>hmm, the government can put people into stressful situations and drive them insane eventually? Millions of dollars well spent!

And accidentally allowed Agent SHASTA to "ascend" into something.
>>
>>54022799
I generally deal with it like this, anything that involves less than 30 people, including MJ-12 agents and bureaucrats, victims, witnesses, and patsies, and no more than three corpses can be pulled off more or less easily. Anything past that gets exponentially harder and you're frequently better off burning everything to the ground and using a fall guy set up to be killed by the cops. It's easier to rebuild or reacquire what you lost than it is to take it back and cover it up.
>>
>>53960777
nothing wrong with that, it'll help keep them in character and make decisions because "what would I do here?" isn't much off from "what would my character do?"

Honestly I think "make yourself, but if you had grown up in this world" is a fantastic way to ease people into RPing.
>>
Hhey /ysg/, I've never run a game of either Call of Cthulju or Delta Green but my players want me to run a DG game. Any tips? Keep in mind I don't condider myself a good GM in general because I tend to railroad and help the players when they get stuck,plus I can't come up with on thefly descriptions very well either so any generl GM help would be great thanks
>>
>>54024246
Getting better at descriptions will help the players get stuck less and make it so you don't have to railroad them as much.
>>
>>54024246
Work with what you've got. If you tend to railroad that means you should have scenarios and NPCs ready, work on describing those and don't hesitate to re-purpose if the game takes you places that wouldn't involve them. Unless you're dealing with something very location specific it's trivial to change the setting.
>>
>>54024246

What scenario/era are you thinking of doing?
>>
>>54024246
Run Last Things Last from the Quickstart rules, it works best if your players no nothing about the Delta Green setting and has enough seeds in it for an ongoing game.
>>
File: sadgod.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sadgod.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
>>54024246

I'm actually dealing with a similiar problem. My only tabletop experience is D&D but I want to get into DG and Call of Cthulhu. Player tips?
>>
>>53961485
latex gloves weren't invented yet. In the 1920s forensic science and medical science wasn't advanced enough for them to care about getting their bare hands on bodies.

And the suit/haircut are a little too modern (if I were Keeper, he'd get a penalty die for Credit Rating with well-to-do types for forgetting his tie and hat!) but oh well
>>
>>54026400

As a Handler, the biggest thing is to focus on roleplay. Backstories and such are key. Ideally, you really want to get into your Agent/Investigator's head. How does he react when a burbling mass of sentient goo oozes out of the drainpipe of an abandoned house? What does he do when he returns to a loveless house as the secrets he can't tell his wife tear his marriage apart?
>>
>>54012923
>>54012933
STR (3D6*5)
CON (3D6*5)
SIZ (4D6*5)
INT ((1D6+6)*5)
POW ((3D6+6)*5)
DEX ((2D6+6)*5)
MOV (6/12 flying)
>>
>>54026400
If it's played by the book, DG is gonna be a much bleaker game than the D&D crowd is probably used to. Character descent is way more important than character progression for a DG character, so make a character with stuff to lose and try to make the loss interesting. That doesn't mean there won't be fun weird moments and the usual funny shit that comes with PCs getting thrown into a situation but by design, DG is about horror and drama more than heroics.

D&D has mechanics for becoming the best version of your class that you can be, DG has mechanics for neglecting your family.
>>
>>54026400
From the very start make sure your players understand that PC's don't really advance mechanically on an intrinsic level, they usually degrade or make a trade-off. That's not not say they can't, but character in your fifth session will mostly be the same as during the first session.
>>
File: 1492015651701.jpg (319KB, 1133x800px) Image search: [Google]
1492015651701.jpg
319KB, 1133x800px
hounds of tindalos
>>
File: 1 (1).jpg (54KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1 (1).jpg
54KB, 852x480px
>>
File: dagon-1.jpg (65KB, 452x433px) Image search: [Google]
dagon-1.jpg
65KB, 452x433px
>>
File: CthulhuHow.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
CthulhuHow.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54026400
LISTEN TO LIVE PLAYS AND PODCASTS!
Best advice I can give is to search for the Goods Friends of Jackson Elias and Skype of Cthulhu Podcasts and listen to some of there stuff.

The Good Friends have short fun discussion by some of the best CoC writers about every aspect of horror gaming you can imagine.

Skype of Cthulhu has hundreds of playthroughs of scenarios. Find one you like and listen to it. Get a feel for how a game goes and pay attention to what the GM does.

Also i'll dump resources.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>
>>54027952
Thanks dude, I'm gonna need it.
>>
File: bonethief.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bonethief.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
Help me guys, I'm looking into DG, but have noticed there isn't a Handler's guidebook. Have I just not been looking hard enough or does it not exist?

Also, if that doesn't exist, how are stats determined for the horrors from the outside realms created?
>>
>>54028100
The manuscript for the new DG Handler book just got released to KS backers but I think someone posted a link to it earlier in the thread.
>>
>>54028248
Thanks, I'll give the thread a read.
>>
/ysg/ I think I'm going nuts.

I could have sworn that at some point the Delta Green website said that they occasionally buy supplement ideas from fans if they're good enough and publish them as official DG products. It wasn't under the "Write for Delta-Green.com" tab, it was something different. Another friend of mine says he remembers them having a similar thing.

Do you think they changed their stance on fan supplements? Is it an attempt to make more money rather than buy stuff from fans? Is it a transitional thing until they finish the new edition? Or have we stepped into an alternate reality due to someone meddling with hypergeometry?
>>
File: 1250169642326.jpg (433KB, 716x1147px) Image search: [Google]
1250169642326.jpg
433KB, 716x1147px
>>
>>53939353
Tfw you're stuck on how to do a game based on either Dr. Voke and Mister Veech, The Red Tower or the Nyctalops trilogy
>>
>>54028472
Last Things Last was a shotgun scenario winner that is now in the quickstart rules. So maybe? You're probably thinking of The Unspeakable Oath, where buying articles reviews and scenarios is exactly what they do. They just had a call for stuff a handful of months ago, so you'll probably have to wait a while if you want to try to get in on that.
>>
File: lovecraft bestiary.jpg (539KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft bestiary.jpg
539KB, 1280x1792px
>>
>>54031527
I remember that they still had the page up after the Need to Know PDF came out. I also know that I'm not thinking of The Unspeakable Oath because I haven't even heard of it until now, plus I remember it specifically asking for scenarios.
>>
File: necronomicon for dummies.jpg (1MB, 1725x1071px) Image search: [Google]
necronomicon for dummies.jpg
1MB, 1725x1071px
>>
>>54031667
>dhole
Literally worse than Derleth
>>
>>54034792
You gotta give Derleth credit where credit is due. Without him we might not even know about Lovecraft's works. He may have muddied up the mythos with his vision, but he admired Howard just as much as we do - if not more - and helped preserve his work.
>>
>>54032176
I remember that too come to think of it... Maybe try emailing them?
>>
>>54036532
he tried to turn cthulhu into satan and made him a demon aligned with water. senpai, it's really hard to say if lovecraft would have existed or he hasn't but every single lovecraft meme beyond racism is because of derleth. derleth has forever soiled lovecraft's work, even if he may have helped it survive.
>>
>>54037862
Most Lovecraft scholars that I've read and seen agree that Derleth did a lot to help keep the mythos in the public eye. I agree with you that he damaged the overall image of what Lovecraft was trying to convey, but again, even people who are die-hard fans of Lovecraft and have spent their lives studying his works agree that Derleth played a major role in ensuring we, the people in the 21st century, would still talk about the man.
>>
Bumping the thread.
>>
>>53939353

Yfw Flying Spaghetti Monster = Yog Sothoth.
>>
File: The fun guy.jpg (170KB, 1678x2100px) Image search: [Google]
The fun guy.jpg
170KB, 1678x2100px
>>
File: migo10.jpg (140KB, 300x351px) Image search: [Google]
migo10.jpg
140KB, 300x351px
>>54022799
Dr. Yrjo is likely a Mi-Go infiltrator inside a human looking flesh pod. His search for a successor is going to end with the Mi-Go scooping out the replacement and an awful bioluminescent crab with all it's appendages surgically removed being installed.

OUTLOOK is part of the Mi-Go search for how to extract intuition from the human brain.
>>
File: IMG_2077.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2077.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
Can someone explain the deal with The King in Yellow to me?

I watched True Detective, but I don't think I had enough background to get the deeper level of what was happening. Like the deal with Carcosa.

Have a Delta Green decoy operation in thanks.
>>
>>54017292
Call of Cthulhu's default setting is the 1920's. Read the book.
>>
>>54018518
Delta Green is going to have a Vietnam sourcebook written by Kenneth Hite, a 2000-2010 Sourcebook detailing the dismantling of the FATE, and a WW2 sourcebook. DG is going to have a sourcebook for all the decades.
>>
>>54041074
Originally it was a book by Robert Chambers about a play that is so good it drives you insane. It's extremely good pre-Lovecraft cosmic horror.

In DG all of the stuff about the play is still intact, but Carcosa is like a parasite city that's drawn to entropy and desperation that can manifest in our reality if it can take a strong enough hold, see the scenario Night Floors. It's a much more surreal kind of horror than the usual stuff in DG.

In True Detective it's mostly just thematically appropriate name dropping, it doesn't really utilize anything from the actual King in Yellow book.
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 750x498px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 750x498px
>>54041074
Read the chapter detailing the Hastur Mythos in Delta Green Countdown. Basically Carcosa is a cannibal reality separated from Earth due to contact with Hastur and it's avatar the King in Yellow. It eats or dissolves or melts other realities into a slurry. It's possible that Carcosa was once a city on Earth in or near Spain that got pulled away into a dimension blended with ours but only accessible to those touched with the peculiar madness that comes from Hastur. Time doesn't work the same way in Carcosa as it does elsewhere and this process is unpredictable.
>>
>>54041858
Our universe = delicious beverage
Hastur = thirsty boy
King in yellow = universe straw
Carcossa = gross backwash
>>
>>54041916
underrated post
>>
>>54041916
I wish I came up with that
>>
>>53961572
Some forgotten antique WII or Vietnam era flamethrower tank, tarped & covered ivy/refuse for the last few decades.
>>
Thinking of getting into CoC and have this idea for a plot.

Basically some scientist is looking for subjects to start a sleep experiment, which the PC's will attend of course, for money or whatever reason.
During the sessions they will slowly be drawn into a dreaming world, where most of the adventure is going to take place.
In the end they will have to escape some unknown horror, the scientist is trying to bribe for power by sending fresh mortals once in a while.
>>
>>54044036
Sounds somewhat similar to The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Are you using that as inspiration?
>>
Has anyone played Cthulhu Invictus? Any good scenarios floating around out there? My players want to play a medieval type game and I figured that would work.
>>
>>54044238
Haven't read that one I'm afraid, but I guess it's a rather typical storyline.
>>
>>54044300
It's actually Lovecraft's most surreal work. It involves Randolph Carter going into the Dreamlands and going on an adventure. He ends up meeting Nyarlathotep there too. Pretty cool.
>>
>>54044420
I've got a two book collections of some of his works (CoC, Shadow of Innsmouth, Mountains of Madness and others) but this wasn't part of it.
But I just saw there's another two books on amazon with his other horror and fantasy stories.
>>
>>54044289

New edition isn't out yet.
>>
>>54041223
>Vietnam sourcebook

It's going to be more than half set Stateside.
>>
>>54044458
Yeah dude, The Dreamcycle is one of the coolest collections of stories he put out. I highly duggest looking into it.
>>
>>54044469
I don't play 7, old one is for 6 right?
>>
>>54044036
I think there's a scenario with an extremely similar premise in the CoC d20 book.
>>
File: IMG_2932.png (691KB, 970x740px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2932.png
691KB, 970x740px
>>54041719
>>54041858
>>54041916
Thanks guys. You've been really helpful. I'm definitely going to check that out later. While I have the experts though, what's the deal with Hastur, especially the "repeat his name three times to summon him" business?

Only conspiracy related image I have right now, forgive me anons.
>>
>>54046192
Going by the original stories Hastur is kind of up in the air as to whether or not it's a city, a planet, or a specific entity, but whatever it is it has some sort of close relation to The Yellow King and Carcosa. I think the whole "unspeakable" thing was a detail added by Derleth at some point when he was trying to codify the Mythos.
>>
>>54044420
>>54044458
Did CoC ever try the Colour Out Of Space
>>
>>53973375
Is the Yellow Thing sitting in the throne on that runied temple in the steps of Leng of Unknown Kadath supposed to be the King in Yellow? If so it's the only time he appears in Lovecraft stories is it not?
>>
>>54001922
>Her
I pity your dumb self.
>>
>>54001922
Nub-Shiggurath
>>
>>54047351
>cult founded by dyslexic madman confused and disappointed at the results of their summoning ritual
>>
>>
File: 6803317338044477741.jpg (1MB, 3394x4456px) Image search: [Google]
6803317338044477741.jpg
1MB, 3394x4456px
>>53973375
>>53973394
>>53973645
God I can't fucking wait for Impossible Landscapes to come out.
>>
Well boys, congrats! This has been, as far as I know, the first /ysg/ to go past the bump limit. As we approach the archive I can only say this: That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
>>
Godspeed /ysg/, may your eternal salts be well preserved
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 104

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.