[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question How important do you feel diversity is in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 29

File: IMG_0916.png (66KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0916.png
66KB, 720x720px
Serious question

How important do you feel diversity is in your settings? Do you go out of you way to make things diverse?
>>
>>53938002
Yes. Entirely because it annoys people who are easily upset.
>>
>>53938002

Diversity has no value in and of itself.

Diversity has value because it opens up new ways to tell stories, and gives you new stories to tell because of those different perspectives that are present.

My settings tend to be diverse, but as a means, not an end. And if a setting being diverse doesn't make sense, it won't be, because diluting the creative vision of a story to appeal to arbitrary standards of diversity is the worst sort of tokenism.
>>
>>53938002
Diversity is such a shallow and meaningless term in a diagetic context. Diversity exists as a priority in real life because it ensures that there is a richer well of experience and perspective to draw from. Narratives are inherently drawn from a single source and it is explicitly impossible for that source to ideate things it cannot conceive of.

Do I include people of color in the worlds I build? Absolutely, it gives my player-characters an easy way to justify knowing a character's origins. Does that mean I am making the game more diverse or more jingoistic? The truth is that neither is true, because "Diversity" has no meaning in a narrative held up by a singular mind.
>>
File: 5e_gender.png (52KB, 327x153px) Image search: [Google]
5e_gender.png
52KB, 327x153px
I don't give a fuck about diversity. It is code for "I wanna play a special snowflake race! I wanna play a special snowflake race!"

No. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who have to play some kind of special 3rd party / splatbook race. They want to play a drow or a fucking dhampir or a fucking tengu or a fucking gnoll or some fucking kitsune / catfolk magical realm furry bullshit. No. No. No. Get the fuck out. There are humans, elves, and dwarves. That is fucking it. Oh and maybe half orcs half elves and half-lings. But you need to roll to get to play anything but a human. Oh and you are complaining about it? THat is because you are a shit roleplayer. Get the fuck over it. If you cannot play a fucking human enjoy the game then you are a SHIT ROLEPLAYER. You do NOT need other races to roleplay. End. Of. Story. And if you are whining about then get the fuck out of my game. I have every right to restrict what races are available. Don't respond to my fucking email in which I CLEARLY STATE that we are using core races only, with "I know you said X but can I do Y because I'm an entitled millennial and think the world revolves around me?" No, fuck that shit, I don't even reply to these people, nor do I give them my address until I know they're not fags. This isn't the motherfucking Mos Eisley Cantina, this is an actual world with an actual flavor to it, not some kitchen sink bullshit.

D&D 5e and Critical Roll have made it even harder, too, because of shit like pic related, and the constant pro-fag and pro-tranny propaganda in Critical Roll, which is the gateway drug for 90% of new D&D players, who have also read loads of greentext nat20 stories about Sir Bearington and Los Tirbunos (thanks alot to whichever nigger anons wrote that shit, may they rot in hell) so they think they need to play a special snowflake and do some funny shit and get a nat20 and shriek autistically about they literally just threw a mountain at the BBEG because a 1 in 20 event happened.
>>
>>53938478

You seem really mad
>>
>>53938478
you seem fun
>>
>>53938002
i absolutely make my settings as diverse as i can, partly because i think it's important for games to reflect the society that plays them and it helps make sure not only my games are all-inclusive, but the hobby is as well

partly because it allows my campaigns to draw on different cultural contexts, making them richer and therefore allowing the stories in those campaigns to be richer as well

partly because it's how i deal with all fiction- if a character's race honestly doesn't matter, why make every character the same race?

but mostly because fuck white people
>>
File: copyright1977.png (10KB, 526x72px) Image search: [Google]
copyright1977.png
10KB, 526x72px
>>53938478
>because I'm an entitled millennial and think the world revolves around me

Nope.
When you're ready to stop blaming your kids for your own shitty attitude, let me know.
>>
I miss quest threads on this board
>>
>>53938712

Then you're a stupid asshole who needs to be banned
>>
>>53938002

I play MYFAROG
>>
>>53938796
myfarog is so bad i'm still not convinced it isn't secretly a punishment for the type of people who play myfarog
>>
>>53938676
>stop blaming your kids
He'd have to have sex first, let alone find a female that doesn't find his presence absolutely repulsive, in order to have any kids.
>>
>>53938676
Fuck off, namefag.
>>
>>53938879

> he doesn't like roll tables upon his roll tables upon his roll tables upon his roll tables upon his roll tables
>>
>>53938002
I don't give a shit about diversity nor do I go out of the way to make anything "more diverse."

I do care about variety, and what's fun and interesting. If those things do or do not make my settings more or less diverse isn't of any concern to me and a more or less diverse end result is purely coincidental.
>>
>>53938676
Do you see the difference between the picture you posted and this one: >>53938478? They have the first sentence in common but nothing else. See the first sentence is fine. That's all that needs to be said about the matter. But "think about how you can bring your character's sexuality and gender identity into the game"? No. Fuck that shit, it does not belong in D&D, and I do not need the rules making people feel like they are entitled to do this shit. inb4 rule zero, because the rulebook creates expectations, don't even fucking try to pretend it doesn't. If you offer a D&D game and it doesn't have any fantasy in it then your players have a right to be pissed. This is similar: players can now expect sexuality and gender politics to play a large role in D&D campaigns.
>>
>>53939128
i play the game for the stories they create, and putting those ideas into a game makes for better stories

otherwise you're just rolling dice, and i can do that by myself
>>
>>53939128

>Sex and gender never played a role in mythology or fantasy fiction
>>
File: yeah i mean come on already.jpg (43KB, 350x291px) Image search: [Google]
yeah i mean come on already.jpg
43KB, 350x291px
>>53939159
>>53939128
>>
>>53939156
That has nothing to do with what I posted. Did you quote the wrong post?

>>53939159
They did, but not this tumblr-tier "think about how your character might be a plutokin demifluidsexual" bullshit.

>inb4 you find some isolated example which will totally prove that D&D should have sex and gender shoved into the forefront because even though it's a game about fantasy adventure, it's 2017 and gender is a spectrum and RPGs are a vehicle to explore that. How dare you disagree you shitlord? #MoreThanARefugee
>>
>>53939228

You're leaping to conclusions and reading between the lines in order to get angry about nothing. It makes you look very silly.
>>
>>53939228
i think you might be mad, you should maybe consult a doctor
>>
>>53939245
>>53939249
Neither of these are arguments as to why sexuality and gender identity should occupy a larger part of D&D.
>>
>>53938002
If I made a setting where everyone was Inuit women or some shit, that'd feel awkwardly specific, right? Also super awkward if you sat down and tried to play with a bunch of Inuit women. But objectively that's no more specific than standard medieval European fantasy. So, understanding that SMEF is someone else's awkwardly specific setting, I do try to make at least a token effort to make things more approachable to different people.

That said, if we're doing fantasy worlds there are a lot of really low-effort ways to do this. I mean, we could just say genetics don't exist in magicland and people's appearances are on full random. Or pick a historical ethnicity and say everyone looks Scythian. Or that this world's ethnicities have no relationship to ours and there are people with pointy ears and others who tan a little green and literally everyone would look foreign to us because this is a different fucking planet.
>>
>>53939278
i think you might be exceedingly mad. you should definitely consult a doctor

(also i explained myself completely in >>53939156 - putting those ideas in a campaign can make better stories, limiting them limits the space for the stories you can create)
>>
>>53938002
Diversity is the diversification of life. Every life is a journey. Every journey is a circle turning in squares.But you can't square the circle.You can only run.Run back to you, back to me, back to us.Outside of everything. Inside of Nothing.Infiniternity by Diversificatifying diversely diverseness. Diversely.
>>
>>53938601
Why?
>>
>>53939327
>putting those ideas in a campaign can make better stories, limiting them limits the space for the stories you can create)

Oh really? Does the same apply to rape and graphic torture? If not, then you are a hypocrite.
>>
>>53939363
the last point was a joke- i'm white myself
>>
>>53939499
Oh okay
>>
>>53939370
they absolutely can deepen a storyline when used tastefully! i've thrown torture in my campaigns as a moment of choice- either you torture someone to get information or you run the risk of something bad happening you aren't prepared for. it's a good way to test out your characters' moral fiber
>>
>>53939278

The "not an argument" argument is past its pull date. Didn't you get the memo?
>>
Yes. If the race of a character doesn't matter (which is what triggered retards say on 4chan all the time) then there's no reason to not make most characters diverse.
>>
>>53939566
Why is that statement retarded?
>>
>>53938002
What does that even mean?
>>
>>53939646
I didn't explain well enough. When a group of people clamor for diverse casting, retards will say "m-mu diverse casting who cares if the characters are all white it doesn't matter. This is just m-muh sjw propaganda". If it doesn't matter than who cares if it's cast as diverse?
>>
>>53939017
This.

Doing otherwise is just pandering and quota chasing or being a contrarian dickhead just for the sake of being a dickhead.
>>
>>53939690
>If it doesn't matter than who cares if it's cast as diverse?
If it doesn't matter then who care if it's not?
>>
What a meaningless question. If the setting is something super small and contained, like a single haunted house, then it wouldn't be very diverse but it wouldn't need to be. Or rather it is diverse among its on strict parameters. Of the setting is a galaxy wide space adventure or adventurers in a fantasy world then it's more diverse only if you explore more and more.

I mean what's the point?
>>
>>53939721
It doesn't matter. That's why I do it. Because who cares?
>>
>>53939757
Clearly it matters if you make an effort to do it.
>>
>>53939768
If I'm making characters it takes literally no effort to say "this guy is black".
>>
>>53939799
So why not say "this guy is white?"

Or just not say anything at all?
>>
>>53939834
Because I flipped a coin and it came up tails? Because I just felt like it randomly?
>>
>>53939853
Is that REAAAAALLY what you did? Or are you just hiding behind a veil of false apathy?
>>
>>53939834

Why are you treating white as the default?
>>
>>53938002
Diversity is important in human only settings.
>>
>>53939871
I don't understand the question.

Are you really suggesting even the most basic of details (the race of a character) can't be randomly decided? It has to be white or else it's pandering or something?
>>
>>53939877
Why are you?
>>
>>53938002

I have sometimes put non-white NPCs into places where they would make sense. I started including them because at one point I was like "Wait a minute, it makes 0 sense for this port town to be populated entirely by white people," and so, I looked at similar population centers, looked at the racial distribution, and now roll a percentile dice.

One of the most memorable villains that the group has faced was a Seer of the Throne Mastigos who happened to be black. It didn't alter his character regarding his interaction with the player characters, but if I have to flesh him out, he will have a quiet sense of pride for literally being at the very heights of power.

Diversity isn't good or bad in of itself, I feel. If it can make for a richer story, go for it. It's also slightly more realistic in a modern-day game, and less realistic in a medieval fantasy game. So as long as it's not shoved down people's throats, use it as necessary.
>>
>>53939887
Nope, I'm just trying to get you to stop lying to yourself.

You make it a point to make "diverse" characters for the sake of diversity, that much is obvious from just your first post in this reply chain. You're hiding being the idea of "it doesn't matter" to try to make it appear as if you're not trying to push an agenda or come across as some kind of SJW, which you don't need to honestly.

Be honest with yourself.
>>
>>53938072
>Diversity has no value in and of itself.

That's logically untrue

Change "diversity" to "variety" (+in regards to whatever we're talking about) and it should all become much clearer, as the weird connotations assigned by modern internet culture falls away.

Variety has innate value
>>
File: 978-1.jpg (82KB, 750x537px) Image search: [Google]
978-1.jpg
82KB, 750x537px
It's the only answer.
>>
>>53939871
>>53939889
>>53939954
If trolling is and art, this is the guy who can only draw stick figures.
>>
>>53942370
If trolling is an art, I'm the guy who draws tits in between the margins of my math textbook in high school.
>>
>>53938478
...you know, that little bit about playing a male drow cleric thrown out of his society for being who he is sounds pretty cool
>>
>>53942370
So we're just gonna take that as an admission of defeat.
>>
>>53938002
Not at all and no.
>>
>>53939963
'diversity' as the concept lives in the head of your average Joe, i.e. that people have different colours, has no innate value. Diversity of thought and (civilised) attitude has, but people don't seem to care about that much.
>>
File: 1453596146636.jpg (24KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1453596146636.jpg
24KB, 229x343px
>>53938601
>partly because it's how i deal with all fiction- if a character's race honestly doesn't matter, why make every character the same race?
Because, chances are, their race actually does matter. Not in the sense that there's a lot of material difference between them, but because they are fundamentally different and the historical context that puts them together innocuously is extremely unlikely and strange.

I once had a player seriously ask me, "Why is everyone in your [13th century Dark Ages Vampire] game [which is also set in Prussia] white? Why won't you let me play a Nubian warrior woman?"

Well, the answer is that race matters. Race is not totally ephemeral, it has weight even if you want to pretend everyone is equal. There were no black women in Prussia in the 13th century, period. There were no black Africans fighting for Germany in Europe in WWI. Nor would you expect, for instance, some settled people of a fantasy world to be arbitrarily multiethnic. There's a lot of social tension that comes from living alongside people who are not like you, and historically, what usually happened when two different groups of ancient people wanted to occupy the same space was a war of extermination or expulsion.

If you are to have any semblance of genuine appreciation for social context, history, or the way that cultures interact, you'd understand that your happy cosmopolitan societies are extremely offensive, and certainly not inclusive or representative of the society we live in. Portraying this false, stupid, ugly caricature of human racial dynamics is the height of cosmopolitan chauvinism, and soulless imperialism. So fuck off with your bullshit, seriously.
>>
Nope, if any diversity comes about it's purely either by chance or it's a detail I find interesting or fun. Running an all-anthropomorphic campaign makes it easier, people can't bitch about skin color when everyone's covered in fuzz.
>>
I run my fantasy campaigns extremely non-diverse because historically people were racist as fuck and would lose their shit and declare a crusade over you having slightly different shaped ears or whatever.

Doesn't mean everyone has to be white though, I generally provide some odd racial descriptors to keep people guessing. You know, "The sunset has gotten to the point that it resembles the colour of your skin at the edges". You know, sometimes an enormous white dude with huge eyes washes up on the shore and you laugh at him for having the misfortune of having massive eyes compared to what the gods look like.

And then the gods physically manifest to shrug collectively and point fingers at each other trying to figure out who made these weirdos, and why.
>>
>>53939224
Actually it was the Hobbit who killed him. Hobbits aren't Men.
>>
File: 1497669357797.jpg (131KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
1497669357797.jpg
131KB, 800x420px
>>53938002
Yes, I love having different races!
>>
File: 1497669882561.jpg (103KB, 967x629px) Image search: [Google]
1497669882561.jpg
103KB, 967x629px
>>53942964
>>
File: Skulls and evolution.png (1MB, 1818x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Skulls and evolution.png
1MB, 1818x1280px
>>53942967
God, the look on that Half-Orc's face...
>>
File: athletes.jpg (505KB, 1200x814px) Image search: [Google]
athletes.jpg
505KB, 1200x814px
>>53942978
>halfling ice-skater only a foot shorter than the skier
>>
File: athletes4.jpg (1MB, 1809x1149px) Image search: [Google]
athletes4.jpg
1MB, 1809x1149px
>>53942989
Don't look at the feet here.
>>
File: athletes5.jpg (505KB, 1280x832px) Image search: [Google]
athletes5.jpg
505KB, 1280x832px
>>53943002
See? Fat people really can athlete!
>>
File: 1496524894326.jpg (126KB, 1170x1085px) Image search: [Google]
1496524894326.jpg
126KB, 1170x1085px
>>53943002
>the feet

what the FUCK
>>
File: athletes6.jpg (536KB, 1280x877px) Image search: [Google]
athletes6.jpg
536KB, 1280x877px
>>53943017
Should we really include prosthetics when talking about someone's height?
>>
File: athletes2.jpg (186KB, 1600x664px) Image search: [Google]
athletes2.jpg
186KB, 1600x664px
>>53943035
>>53943032
Damnit, anon!
>>
>>53943017
Olympic lifters bulk heavily to maintain their muscle mass. It's not like they need to look really cut like models and bodybuilders do, they just need to be permanently at peak stronkth.
>>
>>53942960
So any race except the males of the Race of Man could kill him?
>>
File: athletes3.jpg (183KB, 1600x673px) Image search: [Google]
athletes3.jpg
183KB, 1600x673px
>>53943048
Will they ever learn?
>>
>>53943056
Whoever did that magic wan't legally minded.
>>
File: Interspecies_Relation.jpg (162KB, 705x683px) Image search: [Google]
Interspecies_Relation.jpg
162KB, 705x683px
>>53943066
>>
>>53943066
>>53943048
>>53943035
>>53943017
>>53943002
>>53942989
Why is there a photo series of athletes in their underwear?
>>
>>53938002
No, but I do use random dice tables to determine gender, sexuality, and other fluid nonsense for npcs randomly because >>53938040

It also helps write drama when your king turns out to be a homosexual reverse trap (before you bitch, remember there was a female Pope)
>>
File: body.jpg (50KB, 599x499px) Image search: [Google]
body.jpg
50KB, 599x499px
>6ft tall
>>
File: 1490359614287.jpg (262KB, 1280x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1490359614287.jpg
262KB, 1280x1052px
>>53943086
>>53943096
Why wouldn't there be?
>>
File: 1487733214014.png (1016KB, 1280x732px) Image search: [Google]
1487733214014.png
1016KB, 1280x732px
>>53942819
Filthy beast-races!
>>
>>53938002
Yes, and there are malus and bonus to playing different qualities.

Playing a female human/male gnoll? Prepare for a strength cap.
>>
>>53939566
Having the race matter makes more sense for having diverse characters IMO.

Otherwise you're just playing a White Dude reskinned as a whatever.

Like Black People get a bonus to spear weapons because it's something they practiced with growing up.

Or they grew up as an adopted child in (local area) and because of that they're less socialized and take a penalty hit to charisma.
>>
>>53943121
I would watch this hentai
>>
File: StupidOldRaces.jpg (37KB, 314x383px) Image search: [Google]
StupidOldRaces.jpg
37KB, 314x383px
Sure, more fantasy racism is always welcome.
>>
File: ElvenGits.jpg (126KB, 625x478px) Image search: [Google]
ElvenGits.jpg
126KB, 625x478px
>>53943177
>>
>>53943134
Don't do this unless your group is okay with it, it makes the game unfun when you limit someone's build just because they preferred to play a gnoll or a female.
>>
>>53943242
Why wouldn't they be okay with it?

I don't play with a bunch of whingey snow-flakes, but people who take restrictions as challenges and opportunities, not obstructions on being "le uber player"

I guess we just like to role-play instead of roll-play.
>>
>>53938002
Yes, but that is only a small part of the worldbuilding process that takes up very little time unless you're specifically trying to run a campaign that feels particularly metropolitan.

Also, bad /pol/ bait is bad.
>>
File: Multi-kult in Fantasy.jpg (117KB, 751x658px) Image search: [Google]
Multi-kult in Fantasy.jpg
117KB, 751x658px
>>53943177
>>53943186

I got you bro.
>>
>>53938002

what kind of Diversity?

you mean like does every political power have the same system, and does every miltiary organize itself the same way?

Architectural?

what the seasons are like?
>>
>>53938002
racially diverse? not important at all, i don't want to spam my medieval !noteurope setting with !notafricans. that said, the game setting should accomodate individual PoC heroes that travel medieval !noteurope.

i don't want my setting to look like the beowulf tv show. god, that was crap.
>>
>>53942967
why are humans a race that is above average in height in this chart?

were second tallest.
>>
>>53943242
If stat restrictions "limit your build" in a fantasy game where anything can happen, then you should go back to CRPGs.

Especially if your argument is "but anything can happen!".

Try instead to work around your stat limitations. Quest to find a strength-augmenting or int-boosting magical item.

Or start with one that has a curse or something.

Some sort of in-universe justification. Like, you can literally come up with anything. But just saying "Everyone is the same" is the most boring thing ever.

Obligatory "Have you tried not playing D&D".
>>
>>53943389
Because D&D elves are shorter than humans. It's amazing how many people don't actually know that.
>>
>>53943153
>Like Black People get a bonus to spear weapons because it's something they practiced with growing up.
I'm glad to know I share a hobby with royalty
>>
>>53942422
But Lolth would NEVER even give a weak ass male her power
>>
>>53943449
Nobody said he was a cleric of Lolth.
>>
>>53938002
/pol/tardation is never serious.
>>
>>53943465
Nake dancing elf goddess, best goddess.
>>
>>53943465
What other gods would a fucking drow of the Underdark know?
>>
I try to keep things diverse mostly because that keeps things interesting if you have a shit ton of different cultures running around.

As for diversity in my settings, most Human populations are either mixed race/diverse at least in terms of race. I mean, the main population of humans in my setting all have ashen skin, often with speckles of soot, so it's mostly superficial anyways.
>>
>>53943544
The rest of the Dark Seldarine? You know the Drow have more gods and goddesses than Lolth, right? Lolth is just the most famous.
>>
>>53943544
The rest of the Drow pantheon?
>>
>>53943572
>>53943574
Arent they all aspects of Lolth? And drow society wouldn't accept a weakling as a cleric. You cant be a trap and sneak into cleric school if females are bigger and stronger than males.
>>
File: Council_of_Elrond_-_FOTR.png (729KB, 1280x528px) Image search: [Google]
Council_of_Elrond_-_FOTR.png
729KB, 1280x528px
There's very little diversity in my setting. Sure, you occasionally find a black person that's travelled here from the south, or if you're really lucky, even an elf, but mostly all races and creatures tend to keep to themselves more often than not. If they've actually joined in to have a word with one another, shit is probably going down.

It makes the fantasy elements feel more fantastic, in my mind. If a player chooses to be a dwarf, it'll help him actually feel different and alien, when he's just about the only dwarf running around and everyone else is looking a little weird at him. It gets even worse if they decide to go with some monster race.
>>
>>53943620
>Arent they all aspects of Lolth?
No.
>>
>>53943635
My bad. Anyway, in a drow society a male could never become a cleric in the first place. It's both against their nature and nurture.
>>
>>53943657
And it is also why, I post this >>53943485. She will redeem the drow and save them. forgot her name though

>>53938002
I am more concerned about whether they are at war or not. I guess diversity in unit and army count.
>>
>>53943657
You are wrong. So very, very wrong, it's like you only know drow from a vague description you heard once. What you are saying is ONLY true of the clergy of Lolth, who tend to pretend the others don't exist. Vhaeraun, the god of thievery and the furthering of drow power upon the surface, is mainly worshipped by males.
>>
>>53938002

In general, I do a woman if there are no female PCs, and I am a man.
Real world ethnicities: I do prefer some diversity (no blacks in 1300s France, tough, nothing absurd. Maybe a moor, and I mean maybe) but I don't give it too much tought.
Sexual orientation: way less. Me being hetero, it's more difficult to roleplay, so it's not an "automatic" choice.

As a GM... well, I usually don't play setting-heavy games, pre-determined by the GM or by the publisher (and in the second case honestly it's not really a problem, 'cause at least nominally RPG settings have been "diverse" for twenty years, even if it's just a note and it has no impact on the setting).
I guess that when I do create cultures I try to make them have some unusual customs, but mostly I stick to the idea that stereotypes are bad and by virtue of that even communities one next to the other are pretty different
>>
ITT: People are so triggered by a word that they forget the meaning of it.
>>
>>53938478
(You)
>>
>>53943708
>mainly worshipped by males
Layman worship isn't equal to clergy.
Sure, I could be wrong, it's been a long while since I've read about drow society. It's also been a long while since I was into greek mythology, and argued that Hekate was a titan. Hesiod regarded her as such.
>>
>>53943819
>Layman worship isn't equal to clergy.
So long as it gets them spells, it counts.
>>
File: Drow Clerics.png (2MB, 1156x893px) Image search: [Google]
Drow Clerics.png
2MB, 1156x893px
>>53943819
>I could be wrong
You are. Look at the priests of Selvetarm, Ghaunadaur, and Vhaeraun.
>>
>>53943864
What the actual fuck?! Vhearun could go both ways, it's a trap. And since when are males bigger and stronger?
>>
>>53943864
That Selvetarm priest has nice braids.
>>
>>53943890
You know that drow have a variety of sizes and builds, right? Their sexual dimorphism isn't that extreme.

>tfw tall male drow
>hit head on men's bathroom door
>get bullied by my sisters for being taller than them
>convert to Vhaeraun because fuck all this low ceiling bullshit
>>
>>53939306
It's only the Women part that's weird

If someone was like "You can only play inuit people in this arctic fantasy" I'd be like "Fuck yeah, water tribe"
>>
>>53939963
>Variety has innate value

If you're going to make a bold statement like this while also saying others are attaching a weird meaning to the word, you're going to have to argue the point instead of just smugly stating it.
>>
>>53944631
Variety means vibrancy, life, and strength. Lack of it leads to stagnation and inbreeding.
>>
>>53938002
I make a setting for its own sake, not to please the vague political musings of easily offended people. If it is a diverse setting, it is that way because it fits the setting. If it isn't, it's that way because it fits the setting.

When I make a setting based on ancient Rome, it's patriarchal and exclusionary because that's the way the Romans were, not because I celebrate or condemn those concepts. And if it's diverse and matriarchalk, it's... because it makes my dick hard, because my most diverse and feminist-positive setting is my theoretical Magical Realm setting which I'll never use to actually run a game in.
>>
>>53944652
That is not an argument. That is just another buzzword filled statement.
>>
>>53942683
>>53938478
You two deserve eachother.
>>
>>53939128
>a large role
anon its one paragraph
>>
>>53938002
Of fucking course.
A homogenous setting can get pretty boring.
>>
>>53938541
>>53938542
>>53938676
>>53939128
>>53942422
>>53943798
>>53944689
Good job validating a dumb copypasta.
>>
>>53938002
If by diversity you mean adding black people to every place for no other reason than a small percentage of the USA being of that ethnicity, then no.

If by diversity you mean adding options then I like that. But no options is always better than stupid options.
>>
>>53942960
>Actually it was the Hobbit who killed him
No, you mong, the hobbit wounded him with a knife from the 2nd Age.
>>53939278
It doesn't, it's entirely on the player's side to do so, not the DM, devs or world builders.
Even then, there are places in established settings were gender norms are rigid, and working against them or in spite of them can be an easy background lynchpin for a wandering adventurer, like a drow male anything that isn't a bitch.
>>53942462
No, you are making a dishonest argument that the default for everything should be white male, regardless if you are white or male.
>>
>>53938002
What is diversity as it relates to game settings?
This seems like little besides outrageously loaded /pol/ bait.
>>
>>53944760
>a dishonest argument that the default for everything should be white male, regardless if you are white or male.
But he's right. Background NPC peasants? White males. Elven envoys? White males. Dragon terrorising the region? White male. Giant rats? White males. Hostile sharks? Great White males. Material spell components? White males.
>>
>>53943109
>remember there was a female Pope

Not actually true
>>
>>53939566
Like it or not, white human male is the default*. Everything else is an addition. One of the basic rules when creating a story (or anything else) is that if you don't have a reason to add something, you don't add it. So when it "doesn't matter" the correct thing is for all of the characters to have a generic ethnic and cultural background that doesn't distract people from their other qualities. It's when it does matter that making them from another ethnicity is a good addition.

*Unless you're playing L5R or something. Then change white for asian or whatever.
>>
>>53938002

I don't care about diversity.

The idea behind it is variety, the problem is that there is no actual intrinsic need to add diversity to a story, the only real need for a story is harmony between its elements, beyond that diversity can be in the middle or not.

Also, fuck it, modern diversity is just adding shit to appeal to audiences as small as they might be to the point that people forget why there is diversity in the first place or just shoehorn it in the first place(the Baldurs gate remake is the first thing that comes to my mind). It gets to the point where it even starts being counterproductive to the agenda that is trying to push it in the first place.

Whats the point of being a woman in d&d? There is no actual sexism, no challenges in overcoming natural obstacles in physique, just a different aesthetic and some other pronouns, its so meaningless that women in d&d are dickless men. So when I have to write a character, in trying to avoid frictions with retards I just roll a dice; 1-3 woman, 4-6 man, thats it, and no one complaints because there is nothing to complain about and has no effect to the story or the world whatsoever.

With the LGBTQIAÑ^Ç pandering on the rise(WoD, d&d, EP...) now it even make less sense since gay romances might become the norm so fucking and love triangles are not even an excuse anymore,

40k actually manages to have a stance about it, being a woman is actually a different experience in this world, and they seem to keep it this way through the "everything is so grimdark that everyone is literally Hitler xDD!!1¡" and this little fact, that 40k a world filled with drama queens, writers without sense of scale and constant faction pandering(or outright favoritism) has more to say about gender and being condemned from your birth to one path or the other, than other works that are supposed to be actually focused on selling actual well thought narrative worlds instead of giving backgrounds to miniatures... is sad.
>>
>ctrl+f
>not a single "Depends on the setting"
This is not the /tg/ I know and love.
>>
Very important. Why play in a fictional fantasy world if it can't be used as a platform to experience a range of interesting settings/scenarios/cultures/etc?
>>
>>53944895
>There is no actual sexism
Depends on your setting, actually. Drow are a very visible case, Orc society is very patriachal, Shining South, Unapproachable East, Al-Qadim are all setting areas with very strong gender roles.
>40k
40k actually blatantly expresses more outright equality as viewed by the gov't than any other setting I can think of. The Emperor does not care what you are, so long as you serve, and all serve equally in His eyes. There is no difference between a guardsman and guardswoman, you get the same flak and the same flashlight. There is no difference between a laboring drek on a hive or forge world, you work until you drop dead and have your body recycled. The only gendered thing in 40k is space marines and sororitas.
You chose the wrong setting to try and make a gender argument, son.
>>53944864
>One of the basic rules when creating a story (or anything else) is that if you don't have a reason to add something, you don't add it
This is not how worldbuilding works.
Like, at all.
The sad thing is that there are actually real people who think like this.
It makes me smile when I tossed in a city full of the African Heroic Child myth avatars and drank his tears.
>>
If by diversity you mean LGBTQWASDBBQ pandering then no, my GM have those things banned forever, my eternal gratitude to him for this.
>>
>>53943109
>It also helps write drama when your king turns out to be a homosexual reverse trap

No it doesn't. It's the equivalent of a GM randomly killing PC's family members.
>>
>>53938478
desu this in most cases. Most of the times I've played with people bringing in homebrew classes and races, it's added nothing to the game except that they get crazy OP bonuses that shit on anyone playing a core race
>>
>>53938676
>either sex
doesn't that imply male or female? (as in, no inbetween?)
>>
>>53939557
What? It's not a meme, it's an actual response. If you don't make an actual counter to what I said, and just reply "u mad" then you haven't added anything to the conversation.
>>
File: 5e_sjw_shit2.png (279KB, 593x269px) Image search: [Google]
5e_sjw_shit2.png
279KB, 593x269px
>>53944709
So? You could have a one-sentence rule: "It's okay to call other people faggots during the session" and that would still fuck the game. The real question that needs to be asked here, is WHY this was added to the game. Simple: it is Wizards of the Coast trying to virtue-signal to show how progressive they are.

http://archive.is/xJ5t8

This article gives you everything you need to know about why ((((Wizards)))) felt the need to "expand" the gender section.
>>
Diversity in what sense? In that there are a lot of very different places populated by very different peoples? Sure. In the sense of having modern "multi-cultural" societies that have been decayed into soulless husks of shredded social fabric and alienation by people with a fetish for forigeners? No.
>>
>>53944959
>This is not how worldbuilding works.

Surely you will have an interesting altern...

>It makes me smile when I tossed in a city full of the African Heroic Child myth avatars and drank his tears.

Nevermind.
>>
>>53946384
At the same time, I don't see the issue either way. A lot of people don't seem to realize that the game is its players. You can do whatever the fuck you want to do, and I can guarantee you that the SJW players of the world have been making genderqueer nonbinary Elves since the dawn of time. Then again, that's the norm for Elves.
>>
>Species
Human, Halfling and Dwarf are common. Elf and Firbolg are uncommon. No half-races.

>Ethnicity
Largely ignored. Main city the game focuses around is a large port center with a lot of long-range trade. People of every sort can be found in the Port Quarter and Low Quarter of the city, less so in Old Quarter and High Quarter. Outside of the city foreign ethnicities get progressively less rare the farther you get from trade routes. Locals are the equivalent of Mediterranean whites in terms of ethnicity. Racism exists in the "those damn [other country] foreigners will come in and try to stop our traditions/ruin our way of life/etc" sense but you point out the dude's neighbor is descended from foreigners and you'll likely get "yeah but he's one of the GOOD ones, he's like us" reply. More of xenophobia than outright "that skin color is bad, mine is good" shit.

>Sex/Gender ID/Orientation
Doesn't really come up a lot. Current nation uses women to follow family lines, makes them head of household and has a more female-leaning representation for leadership positions in religion. Men work, run businesses and run military groups. Nobility uses Tanistry for succession but usually favors women (and daughters specifically), on the logic that if women run the household while the men are working or out on the battlefield, they should be in charge of domestic matters. As far as homosexuality and transgenderism are concerned you'll be looked at as weird but most people will argue that as long as you continue your family line and do your share around town that it isn't an issue.

In-game this all rarely-if-ever comes up, and has only really been questioned for the purpose of character creation.
>>
>>53946672
>Then again, that's the norm for Elves.
No it's not.
>>
>>53946672
>and I can guarantee you that the SJW players of the world have been making genderqueer nonbinary Elves since the dawn of time

Yes, but now they have the rules on their side.
>>
I do implied diversity. Yes, there are black people/women/homosexuals/whatever running around. No, I'm not going to go out of my way to specifically mention that fact unless someone asks.
>>
>>53946384
What's the ratio of basically like humans heterosexual reproduction to other?
>>
File: a3366014855_10.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a3366014855_10.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>53938002
I'm running a campaign that could be described as "Miami Vice: In Space" so diversity is something I leave completely in the hands of my players. If it's human, they can (and have) made whatever they wanted, and it's been great.

To quote Madonna
>It makes no difference if you're black or white
>If you're a boy or a girl
>If the music's pumping it will give you new life
>You're a superstar, yes, that's what you are, you know it

My players have presented me with
>gender ambiguous video game arcade junkie who is the teenage black sheep of a megacorporation
>street smart woman of color info broker and small time gang leader, relies on her wits and connections
>japanese dude who had half his body cyberized after the messy ordeal of putting "ex-" in ex-yakuza
>"can I literally be Sonny Crockette? LSD tripping pet alligator and all"
First one is a female player, the rest male, all white.

None of the 'diversity' was forced, it was just a consequence of the players thinking of cool characters that FIT into the setting.

There can be and should be diversity in every setting, but it has to diversity that makes sense and works with the setting, instead of just being a way of saying "look at me"

Arthurian England? Diversity is being French, possibly Germanic or Latin if you really want to push it.

But when you're in Miami, baby, as long as you are dripping neon and can groove to the music, you got a spot on the dancefloor.
>>
>>53938002
No more or less than the setting should be. For example, an XCOM campaign is going to have a lot more diversity than one set in medieval Europe or pre-Columbian America.
>>
>>53950721
Fak u gooby
I don't know how else to convicely summatize the character, who is described as "...hatian, maybe?" Is that black, caribian, afro-caribian? Is it just Space-Haiti? I don't know, it's inconsequential details. Or would you prefer "nigress"?
I know I'm biting real low effort bait, so have some yourself
>>>/pol/
>>
>>53938002
Diversity, just for the sake, of Diversity is bullshit because its forced. It has to have a reason, and be it more freedom of settings and with character creation, The Dark Eye is a good setting as a example, how to do it right.
>>
>>53950959
Jeez this post was filled with some real covfefe, you win.
>>
>>53950959
She's black. Just say black.
>>
>>53951111
For me "black" means American slave mutt. Yeah Haitians are black but that's as innacurate as calling an Irish potatofucker "white". So excuse me for triggering you by using a broader term.
What else is on your list of approved and banned phrases? Honestly, this is like dealing with Tumblr.
>>
>>53944810

There was actually. She got pregnant.
>>
>>53951395
Pro-tip: Instead of feeding trolls, try ignoring them!
>>
>>53951313
>>53951313 #
So Jews, Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, Pollacks, Slavs, Balkaners, and Baltics are white?
Get a load of this guy.
Don't cut yourself on that edge friendo :^)
>>
File: images (3).jpg (11KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
11KB, 279x181px
>>53951414
Ironic counter shitposting is still shitposting, right? :^(
>>
>>53951260
No need to get all defensive, cucklord. If the person in question has predominantly African ancestry, or black skin, or some combination of those two things, then they're black. National origin has nothing to do with it, a Haitian, Brazilian, Ugandan, and Londoner can all be equally black. Sorry if it offends your extremely niche, wholly nonsensical idea of blackness, but that is in fact how it works.
>>
people who apply real world ethnicities/cultures/stereotypes to fictional races, or worse, fictional species, need to be taken out back and shot.

Orcs = Nigger fags need to be put through a blender. They're fucking orcs.
>>
>>53951493
>falling for the "skin color means whiteness" meme
>Ellis Island ethnic scabby detected
"Irish need not apply" should be a board rule

>>53951503
>uses "cuck"
>thinks they can make a point
Just fuckin with ya
I was just trying to rile a pol trigglypuff who got their underwear in a twist over the phrase "woman of color". I hate the term because of the context and people who use it. It just felt more accurate than "black". For the most part I agree with you tbqh
>>
>>53952498
This guy gets it. Into the (you) bank it goes.
>>
>>53948112
>What's the ratio of basically like humans heterosexual reproduction to other?

what?
>>
>>53943389
But the human is second tallest in that image.
>>53951319
>The story was widely believed for centuries, but most modern scholars regard it as fictional.
I know /tg/ is all about playing makebelieve, but this is about the real world.
>>53951493
>>53951503
AMERICANS OUT
>>
>>53951820
>It just felt more accurate than "black"

Except it's not. "Person of Colour" literally means "non-white", which is everything from black-as-the-night central African pygmee to Zimzam-shaded Hispanic, which is a racial group only Americans acknowledge, and basically means "of Spanish descent with a tiny amount of American Indian admixture".

Black is the accepted term for people with a large degree of African genetic heritage. If that describes her, then that means she's black. PoC is a nonsensical PC term that tries to pretend all non-whites are united in their struggle. It's loaded right from the start, and I've never -ever- heard it used outside the context of identity politics. So maybe that guy was triggered, but you honestly should have seen it coming, and didn't need to get into a shitflinging contest with him. And you sure as fuck didn't need to make a retarded point that "black" only means "African American", because I'm going to give you some credit and assume that you know better than that.

And you didn't help your case by dragging white ethnicities into it, and saying that "white" is an inaccurate term to describe them. Again, it's universally acknowledged that it's not, your head canon not withstanding. The term "white" only becomes muddled when we get to Arabs and other Middle Easterners, who people like to consider not white for various reasons. But by the standing rules, they are also white, even if triggered SJW's want to include them in the PoC term out of political ideology. How retarded this all is, is something one can see from how "Muslim" gets co-opted as a racial group.

In short, you were wrong from the start. For fuck's sake, you're right there in the second post calling her "Haitan". That's about as accurate as you can get. And haitians are generally black as fuck, because they genocided all whites on the island.

You assume "black" for "PoC" because American blacks are simply the most prolific users and targets of the term.
>>
>>53951260
Go back to /pol/. Actually, this entire fucking thread needs to go back to /pol/.
>>
File: 1486110557582.png (286KB, 549x560px) Image search: [Google]
1486110557582.png
286KB, 549x560px
>>53954562
>Again, it's universally acknowledged that it's not
What universe are you from?
>>
>>53954847
Nice rebuttal, faggot. For fuck's sake, you USE the term "white". So what are you doing? Using a word that, by your own admission, doesn't mean anything? Or are you seriously suggesting that white people who aren't American aren't white?

Go ahead. Go out and ask an Irish guy if he's white. See what he says. At best you maybe get an admission that's ginger instead.
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.