[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>All gods were mortals, like sigmar from fantasy. Would this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: gods.jpg (261KB, 552x850px) Image search: [Google]
gods.jpg
261KB, 552x850px
>All gods were mortals, like sigmar from fantasy.

Would this have a great influence on religions?
>>
>>53917744
Jesus was literally a mortal
>>
>>53917744

There are gods from China and Japan who were mortals before becoming gods. That said, those religions also have gods who were always divine since primordial times, but it is still useful for inspiration.

I think a setting where ALL gods were mortal and everyone knows it would probably have some kind of atheistic creation myths/legends.

Other specifics could vary a lot. Is there a certain high threshhold you have to meet to be a god, or can you get very minor gods like the god of a specific well or crossroads (little more than a protector spirit)? Is the afterlife full of many different ranks of deity, or do only a few meet the cut (with other mortals reincarnating or meeting oblivion)?
>>
>>53917744
>All gods were mortals
See: Exalted
Not a perfect example for sure, but the Exalted are basically gods to the common man in their own setting. To be honest this is how the religions work in my homebrew setting, although the fact that mortals can become gods is a very closely guarded secret so every upstart and their cousin doesn't try to. Basically it works as thus:
>Hero/Politician/Person of Importance attains fame for some deed
>People begin to idolize this important person because of said deed, making them into a Saint
>The idolization and faith of their peers imparts a power that actually improves their skills and abilities, but will also magnify their weaknesses and flaws
>With enough faith this Saint becomes Timeless, becoming unaffected by the weight of time and decay
>However the faith and interest of mortals is a fickle thing, and unless one can assert and maintain their supporter's faith, they will dwindle back to mortality and ultimately fade into non-existance should they be forgotten
Hundreds upon thousands of gods have been created and erased through these methods, but you never hear about the Old Gods, the ones time and tale forgot, or more commonly scrubbed from the history books by the New Gods when they take power, but perhaps that's for the best, since an Old God brought back to life by the belief of mortals can be a twisted and terrible thing indeed.
>>
File: kisshot.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kisshot.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>53917744
In my setting, the only God (like actual omnipotent deity) was a human emperor, who had created a multy-galaxy empire to find a way to achive godhood so that everyone may live in eteranl happiness. With gallons of blood on his hands, he finally made itm only to realise the real price of freedom. Now he sits on his eternal throne with his friends and stops multiverse-ending calamities from time to time. Mostly he just guides some people to the path of heroes and saviours.
>>
The creator deity was a mortal who, upon his apotheosis, went back in time and created the world as a result of that being a part of his portfolio.

Alternatively, all dieties are eternal and timeless, and their existence as a mortal is not temporally linked to their existence as gods.
>>
>>53917824
Unless you were a Nestorian... Or a Miaphysite... Or a Monophysite.
>>
>>53918215
So intergalactic 40k.
>>
>>53918215
>actual omnipotent deity
>benevolent

What the fuck is there to do in your setting?
>>
>>53917744

Even if all of the major gods at the moment are mortal-born, there's still the issue of where the mortal races came from. Maybe the previous gods were Titan-level jerks, or Cthulu-level monstrosities, and mortals had to rise above their slave-or-food position on the food chain to defeat them and gain godhood..... by drinking their blood/eating their souls, for instance. I mean,sure, they were walking disasters/asshats, but the sun needs to keep spinning and the corn needs a corn-god to exist, or existence ends or something.
Somebody's ass has got to be in the Monster-God chair; why not theirs?

And now, after XXXXXXXX years, the current batch of gods are getting all vainglorious, or too big for their britches, or are growing tentalces and Black Pharaoh personalities,and now a fresh batch of Sigmar-level heroes must defeat them, usurp their thrones, and Devour Souls/Drink Blood.

Are you a badass-enough dude to cannibalize the gods?
>>
>>53917744
mind if I tell you about Buddha and how he meditated under a tree until he became enlightened and founded an entire religion?
>>
>>53918976
The setting itself is about that road to godhood. It combines different time periods, sci-fi, fantasy and so on. It's mostly about how those pieces fell into place, the actual ascendance plot is just a background story you only given little (if any) hints about.
>>
>>53919198
I steal that.
>>
>>53917744

Definitely.

If you have a religion where all the deities only have power because of their ethereal race, like some celestial monarchy, then you accept your place as an inferior and want nothing more than to worship them.

But if you have a religion where deities are just like anyone else, but have risen to greatness through heroic or even malevolent acts, then you are no longer forced to think of yourself as a slave. You have the chance to be a god yourself and gain true power.
>>
>>53918353
Or catholic....or greek orthodox....
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.