[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a right way and a wrong way to do factions? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: the question of o.jpg (21KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
the question of o.jpg
21KB, 640x480px
Is there a right way and a wrong way to do factions? I'm so tired of the "here's a camp, talk to their leader and do their missions against the other camp" approach to this. It feels too gamey
>>
>>53888363
>I'm so tired of the "here's a camp, talk to their leader and do their missions against the other camp" approach to this. It feels too gamey
Don't do that for a start.
>>
>>53888400
and what's the alternative
>>
>>53888427
Just keep in mind that factions consist of people. They aren't monolithic entities. There will be internal tensions and differences, there will be members with ties to other factions. People can belong to or be affiliated with multiple factions - members of this family, that church, their place of work and so on.
>>
>>53888363
Well, tell us about your game and what your "factions" are, and maybe we'll be able to help you better.
>>
>>53888515
I was just musing over the SMT faction system and how it might be converted into pnp as humanity with the gods.

You'd end up with a LAW and a CHAOS faction, which just seems kind of dumb
>>
>>53888595
*without
>>
>>53888363
The simplest option is to give each group a goal and a date they'll accomplish it without PC interference. Nothing too fancy, but it's everything essential to the game.

If you're looking for a bit more randomization and detail, Stars Without Number has a pretty good faction system that can be ripped out and repainted for the setting of your choice. It's pretty much just a fancy GMing tool, but it's still fun to play with, and gives useful background for events. I wouldn't suggest it for anything but a sandbox style of game, though, since randomization and plot points tend not to get along well.
>>
>>53888595
>You'd end up with a LAW and a CHAOS faction, which just seems kind of dumb
Yes, because LAW and CHAOS are pretty much inextricably tied to YHVH and Lucifer respectively.
>>
>>53888363
Right way:
>people have personal desires and aspirations, and choose their factions to fulfill them
>even if there are fanatics here and there, most of the people care firstly about themselves, and won't hesitate to switch sides and backstab (depending on their moral integrity, of course)
Wrong way:
>people are divided into factions for no fucking reason
>>
>>53888595
grow up kid, stop looking at videogames. Start looking at your own planet
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.