[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 47

File: 1483015337015.gif (302KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1483015337015.gif
302KB, 500x500px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>53857207

Darkness edition

Have you had any creative uses for Darkness in your party besides "i hit da mans in DARK!"?
>>
File: 1487878969923.jpg (26KB, 352x370px) Image search: [Google]
1487878969923.jpg
26KB, 352x370px
>10 minutes and 0 posts on a new general
>>
Reposting my question from last thread.

What is the best set of rules for crafting and buying magical items? I know there has been at least one UA, are there any other good alternatives?
>>
>>53868506
I declare 5e dead.
>>
>>53868540
were were u when 5e was kill
>>
>>53868506
It's a Sunday morning for the majority of 4chan users. No one wants to be up early on a Sunday morning.
>>
Is there a website you can buy good, painted minitiarues for D&D?

I don't know how to paint
>>
>>53868584
>tfw haven't been able to fall asleep for the last 7 hours so I've been reduced to shitposting
feels bad man.
>>
>>53868414
My party tried to blind a bunch of Modrons so they could snag a treasure chest they were guarding. They didn't know that Modrons have truesight. Nobody died though.
>>
>>53868591
Amazon. EBey too, probably.
>>
File: 1495297494410.png (601KB, 807x778px) Image search: [Google]
1495297494410.png
601KB, 807x778px
I've never played an elf and I don't particularly care for the pointy eared forest folk. Due to the type of campaign coming up Drow aren't available. So what is the best type of Elf fluff wise?
What is the best stat wise for a Bladesinger?
>>
how long until the next UA?
>>
>>53868537
Straight up buying magic items is usually a bad idea, as it leads to one of two situations.

1. "Here you are players, the exact item that you would need, no hassle. Have fun on your adventure!"

2. "Here you are players, some random shitty trinkets because who the fuck would leave a +2 sword if they had the option to buy it?"

You're better off making them have to commission it from an item crafter if you want them to spend money. That lets you work in a quest to find/get to them, or even earn the privilege of giving them their patronage, as a person powerful enough to make magic items will not just make them for whatever chucklefucks walk through the door.
>>
File: 1495733828594.jpg (105KB, 611x879px) Image search: [Google]
1495733828594.jpg
105KB, 611x879px
Purple Dragon Knight or Fighter/Valor Bard multiclass for a Banner-Bearer type of character focused around supporting others?
>>
>>53868663
High Elf is basically made for Bladesinger (or is that the other way around?). Good stat bonuses, they get an extra cantrip, it's all good.
>>
>>53868506
frostygiant.jpg STOP ROLLING FOR STATS druids are ghey Next UA when? Let's leave the argument in last thread. That's racist. Stat me, /5eg/. Where's the thread question? >Fucking up the OP. Hi /5eg/, I'm a new DM, how come my rogue player dual-wielding crossbows is so OP when they're making five attacks a turn and how do I take away their +3 armour? STOP POSTING THE DISCORD LINK. My player wants to craft dogshit, how do I go about this? Here's my 8 int wizard. Feats are an optional rule. Can I play as a kender?
>>
>>53868663
The best type of Elf is the one with a feminine penis. This is canon.
>>
>>53868683
Go with either full Valor Bard, or Fighter 5/Lore Bard x. PDK is hot garbage.
>>
File: 1496615996553.gif (2MB, 499x289px) Image search: [Google]
1496615996553.gif
2MB, 499x289px
Help /5eg/, my next campaign is going to focus on sending my party in search of the rarest treasures they can find in an "around the world in 80 days" styled competition.

What are some good plot hooks I can throw in for them to pursue?
>>
>>53868683
Valor bard would be better. Lore is even better considering how cutting words works compared to combat inspiration, but valor can work
>>
>>53868706
Summed up the cancer in one post. I declare good job.
>>
File: invoker_vert.jpg (22KB, 235x272px) Image search: [Google]
invoker_vert.jpg
22KB, 235x272px
Where do I put my points in a level 1 high elf wizard. Also spells.
>>
File: Magic Item Costs.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Item Costs.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53868537
>>
>>53868805
Optimized:
15 int, 14 dex, 14 con, 12 wis, 8 str, 8 cha
But may vary depending on if using superior point buy and other things like if the DM gives reasons to have other stats or if you want to be more flavourful.

Get a minimum of two rituals at level 1.
>>
>>53868707
Could you please stop with the hermaphrodite Elf thing? You've been seriously ruining my ability to enjoy Elves in my campaigns.
>>
File: Untitled.png (72KB, 1952x664px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
72KB, 1952x664px
>>53868663
>So what is the best type of Elf fluff wise?

You know what that depends on.

>>53868681
In my Out of the Abyss game, I already randomly rolled what each major settlement (Gracklstugh, Menzoberranzan, etc.) has for sale in terms of magic. All randomly determined, too.

With the exception of Sen's Wandering Shop, these don't represent a single magic shop, either. Rather it's the total list of magic items available for sale in the city. The players still have to track them down and haggle for them.

Sen is actually a player's character from a previous campaign (Horde of the Dragon Queen), who ended it as a 17th level GOO Warlock. Her magic shop is meant to represent excess loot from the Temple of Tiamat that she's selling off. She wants a complete collection of the trinkets in the PHB for GOO-related reasons.
>>
File: IMG_5130.jpg (64KB, 599x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5130.jpg
64KB, 599x480px
Best class to play a horse archer?
>>
>>53868993
Druid, although I'm not sure if horses are capable of using bows.
>>
>>53868856
Very useful!
>>
So if you have Truesight and see something, let's say an Ancient Brass Dragon, shapeshifted into a smaller form, let's assume old man, what exactly do you see? Do you see a full size Dragon that's clipping through terrain like a videogame character? Does it look like an old man but you can tell it's a Dragon because lmao magic?
>>
File: rudy-siswanto-rgb-slaad-copy.jpg (261KB, 1800x726px) Image search: [Google]
rudy-siswanto-rgb-slaad-copy.jpg
261KB, 1800x726px
Reposting because I had an idea that might not work. Curious for input.

So I had an idea though at doing a horror themed one shot with the Slaadi based on Alien/The Thing. Its seems like an *obvious* setup so I assume some have tried and and I am curious how it would work. I would want it to be extremely powerful and not something you can just kill in a fight, but D&D doesn't immediately seem like it lends itself to hit/run style 'combat'.

Gut idea is: We have 5 players, so have them be low level like 4, and some other NPCs. Some how trapped in like a magic school or prison or some shit with a Red Slaad. Have them kill that Red, but an NPC is infected turns into a stronger Blue Slaad in the next Day. Then have the Blue Slaad run in and out of hiding, I would tone down its Regen and have it slowly be killed as the party/NPCs get picked off.

Basically only two real fights a red and a blue slaad but they are super much lower level then recommened for it, plus he will go in and out if combat to hide and then ambush them again. So I while they will get maybe a few short rests but thats it. Curioua how to properly balance this so he doesn't die in one encounter but also can't mow down the party. 5e wasn't really built for an RE3 Nemesis gimick.
>>
>>53869024
Truesight says you can "see" illusions and all the other things, but then uses a comma and says you can "perceive" the true form of shapechangers and such.

Seeing and perceiving are two different things, your DM can probably figure out how to do it.
>>
>>53868993
Doesn't matter what class you pick in 5e, just be an elf for bow proficiency and take whatever the fuck else you want.
>>
>>53868993
>archer
The answer is always going to be battlemaster, unless you are wanting to be a sniper in which case you play Wood Elf Rogue. For all other instances of archers, you play battlemaster.

Arcane Archers are 100% dogshit. And even the Sharpshooter is pretty much ass. Samurai makes a decent archer, but Battlemaster wins the day for utility's sake alone.
>>
>>53868993
Ranger for AoE attacks, fighter for single-target, warlock if you want to EB pushback everything, artificer if you want a robot horse as part of your class progression, rogue if you want skills and fewer but harder hitting shots / accuracy but short range, bard if you want spellcasting as well.

Bard and artificer can both get the mount as part of their progression.
>>
Does this seem fine?

>Defensive Stance
>As an action, you assume a defensive stance with your Quarterstaff, gaining the benefits of a Shield. Doing so makes you off hand count as full until you take an action to revert stances. Being disarmed of your staff also disarms this shield.

Basically I just have a character who is going to go staff+shield but a shield doesn't match their aesthetic.
>>
>>53869134
>Bard and artificer can both get the mount as part of their progression.
Everyone can. It's called 75gp.
>>
>>53869055
Are you me?
I ran this and had the main antag be a shapechanged green slaad that appered as a goblin. Only spoke in rhyme and tried to get someone to stop the ship (i set it in spelljammer)
He also had a set of blue and red d20s he used for in game dice they were red and blue slaadi and one of the players got chaos phage form them but doesnt know it
>>
>>53869055
You might want to remove a slaad's regen if you plan on making them hit and run fights because a low level party never would be able to win if one got away
>>
Is there any database for Elder Scrolls maps?
>>
>>53869197
Or you could pick a few dmg types like fire force raidiant and acid and not let it regen those
But that buffs casters/gishes
>>
>>53869178
Wouldn't you rather have a stronger mount / mount that you can summon whenever, whereever? One that your DM can't cuck you out of because 'lol no horses' or whatever lame excuse they can think of.
>>
File: 1497787031828.png (31KB, 122x147px) Image search: [Google]
1497787031828.png
31KB, 122x147px
How does one multiclass into wizard? Presumably you're unable to just manifest a spellbook out of thin air one night.
>>
>>53869289
>Presumably you're unable to just manifest a spellbook out of thin air one night.
Wizards do stranger things on a hourly basis.
>>
Is there some sort of detailed homebrew crafting list of things that items would require to be crafted and put together?
>>
I miss when players used to speculate games. I also miss when they actually made their own characters and did things.

>>53868584
I don't want to wake up early period, fuck mornings.
>>
>>53869289
If you start wizard you get a spellbook as part of your equipment.
Otherwise you have to buy one
>>
File: 1491444884595.gif (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491444884595.gif
1MB, 800x450px
>>53869179
I tend to run one shots every couple months so our DM can play or if things get to busy generally non canon with new characters or prefabs. I thought this would be a fun change of atmosphere. The Slaaf seem build for this so I had too assume its been done.

>>53869197
Yea I was planing on removing it. I am more worried about pacing. Our is a group that does do the whole 5-6 encounters two short rests and 1 long rest mix like how is intended. General we do 2 or 3 encounters with 1 short rest. So in a way this gimmick should be more inline with actual balance. Its just not a muscle our players tend to flex.
>>
>>53868993
Valor Bard. Get find steed and swift quiver (Ranger's capstone spell) for magical secrets. Enjoy your magical fucking horse and making 4 arrow attacks every turn.

You even get to throat sing.
>>
>>53869017
Underrated post
>>
5E OSR

So I run my 5E games with old school game design mechanics and systems as I think the system is the most suited for that.

This upsets my players who are used to baby mode, critical role, style games where none of your choices matter, you'll never die and the railroad goes on and on. We had a character death first session and it was glorious. The players were shocked, terrified and appalled.

Does anybody else embrace 5E osr style or are you all still playing baby mode?
>>
>>53869518
>wrongfun badfun
I'll play my games however the fuck I enjoy them thank you very much
>>
>>53869518
>This upsets my players
You are a bad DM
>>
>>53869518
My DMing style is "keeping your characters alive is your job, not mine".

And "CR suggests the average party level at which you can be reasonably expected to defeat a monster, not encounter it. And it's just a suggestion anyway."

And in essence, "you guys are the stars of the show, but the game world is bigger than your characters, and there's a lot of stuff happening in it. Not all of it is level appropriate."
>>
>>53869518
I'm doing it like that, but I'm making minimal adjustments.

You don't need to change a lot of the rules, really.

Remove death saves and implement something better. Personally I'm aiming for 'long and agonizing death' rather than 'you step in the wrong place and it's game over'.
Also ban moon druid and probably reconsider stuff like long death spamming 'nope, on 1 HP now'
Also make inspiring leader a half-feat.
>>
> Draconic Sorcerer can't actually turn themselves into a dragon
> A Wizard can
>>
>>53869598
>>53869518
And actually to continue that post it in light of what >>53869568
said:

I'm more for 'Some of the creatures might be a load above what you should be handling. That doesn't mean it will wipe the floor completely with you or murder you straight out. It likely means that you'll waste a load of resources and be put in a dire position, even if you do beat it. And even then, if it's a naked supertroll, there's nothing on it for you to loot.'
Your ultimate objective is not to kill monsters but to succeed.
>>
>>53869568
Oh, I also play my monsters smart. Case and point, my players are traveling through the Underdark (OotA) and ran into a Hag coven while traversing the Darklake. The Hags used polymorph on three of the party (succeeding twice), then plane shifted away. They've continued to do this once per day.

They turned Derendil into a sun elf twice so far because it personally amuses them since they know the truth about him

The hags can't win in a straight-up fight with the party, but they don't need to. They're just going to keep teleporting in, polymorphing some of the party, then teleporting away once a day until the party does what they want them to do, which is delve a dungeon and retrieve an item for them (might be the Lost Tomb of Khaem...might be the Hidden Shrine of Tamochan. Haven't decided yet)

That the party - which at the moment consists of 4 PCs and 10 NPC companions - have been chronically unable to come up with a plan for dealing with the hag coven in a way that doesn't involve doing what the hags want, is neither my fault nor my problem.
>>
>>53868706
You forgot arguing about the warlock
>>
>>53869536
>>53869540

Babies detected. Are you enjoying your fisher price campaigns? Does your mum let you use curse words ?

>>53869568

I agree. I always use variable encounters and spikes. Level 1 players can run into dragons and it's up to them how they deal with it.

>>53869518

I like the idea of using more hirelings.i especially like it as an explicitly fighter thing as they're still gimps in this edition. The death rules definitely need work..I'm keeping things fairly raw at the moment but need tweaks.
>>
>>53869642
>The Hags used polymorph on three of the party (succeeding twice), then plane shifted away. They've continued to do this once per day.
Just because the creatures can, shouldn't mean they should. They should conserve their spell slots, especially since they might fight stuff later on.
Otherwise liches power word: kill a party member then teleport away all the time.
And ancient dragons that shapeshift can almost permanently stop time.

Spell slots on monsters aren't for wasting.
>>
>>53869657
I just don't understand why you would run a game your players don't enjoy. Unless they are the sort of people who enjoy being upset?
>>
>>53868856
Some of these are extremely low priced and will result in everyone having all their shit at +1 by level 5, so keep that in mind. +1 ammunition for 25 gp each? You can buy 50 of those by the time the fighter gets their simple plate mail. A lot of them also trivialize spells, like potion of invisibility for 180 means that, while it's just a 2nd level spell, you don't need to use a slot or concentration to make someone invisible. It also means that a fairly low-level party will have dozens of consumables just in case they need them.
>>
>>53869657
Funnily enough I actually started tabletop D&D with 3rd Edition back around when it was first released, 3e being the serious start of what I'm now going to start calling Fisher Price D&D (thanks for that).

But *technically* what I actually game into D&D with was Baldur's Gate, the first game. And I learned real early on in Baldur's Gate that it's possible to encounter things WAY above your ability to defeat. So you learn to run or talk your way out of problems.
>>
>>53869642
How that railroad coming John Henry?
>>
Has anyone played ghostwise halfings or had them as NPCs? Is the Far Traveler background suited for them? The fluff says they're mostly from Chondalwood, so I figured that's far enough from the Sword Coast, right?
>>
>>53869689
Liches generally have better things to do than bother a party with an average level of 4. Again, "the PCs may be the stars of the show, the game world is bigger than your player characters". That can be a benefit as well as a drawback.

It's just that these particular hags don't really have anything better to do. Or rather, they want a specific thing but don't want to risk their lives getting it, so they're going to pester the party until the party does what they want or until the party demonstrates that they're actually capable of stopping the hags. So far the party has done only superficial damage to any of the hags in their encounters.
>>
>/osr/ is currently discussing D&D 5th Edition
>/5eg/ is currently discussing OSR

Huh.
>>
>>53869762
Wait couldnt your hags just teleport to wherever they need to go?
If a group of level 4s could do it a coven of hags could
>>
>>53869717
It's not a railroad. With 14 characters total under their command, the PCs should be more than capable of dealing with these hags. I can think of, like a dozen ways they could trap the hags or separate them so that they're too far away to take advantage of their coven spells, making each one a cakewalk. The PCs have just so far not made any real attempt.

My job as a DM is to present challenges, not solutions.
>>
>>53869785
>Wait couldnt your hags just teleport to wherever they need to go?

Something something dimensional lock something something can't do it themselves for magic reasons something something lazy and/or busy with other stuff something something evil assholes.
>>
>>53869518
How is that OSR? Do you know what OSR even means?
>>
>>53869834
Old-school roleplaying. It can be a mindset, rather than a system.
>>
>SJW took a shit on comic-books
>SJW took a shit on video-games
>SJW are taking a shit on tabletop games
Is there no end to this evil?
>>
>>53869983
>>SJW are taking a shit on tabletop games
?
>>
>>53869846
Yeah but it's not just anti-railroad. If it's just about not railroading and coddling the players, say that's what it is. OSR implies so much more beyond that, rulings over rules and player skill over die rolls being the major traits to me. A non-scaling world where dragons can be encountered from level 1 are part of it too, but that alone doesn't make it OSR and anti-railroading doesn't really play into it at all.
>>
>>53869992
http://archive.is/BWIVE
>>
>>53870015
>dumb bitch complains about dumb shit

who cares?
>>
>>53869657
You're terrible at bait. I'm sorry for you because there's no cure for autism.
>>
>>53870048
It started that way for comic-books and video-games. Next up you'll see some crooked nose thot asking for shekels to do documentaries on sexism in tabletop games.
>>
>>53869983
It's not as big in trpgs, there was that publisher that wanted to hire a woman specifically which was retarded, and then you have Paizo, but otherwise it's very mild.
>>
>>53869983
>>53870015
>literally who blogpost criticizes Critical Meme
>/5eg/ should care about this
>>
File: uh oh.png (38KB, 944x932px) Image search: [Google]
uh oh.png
38KB, 944x932px
So the wizard and the warrior turn a dungeon corner and stumble into a group of goblins that aren't necessarily looking for a fight.
Roll initiative? Or roll after the warrior inadvertently goes for an attack? What if the goblins and wizard rolls higher initiative?
>>
>>53870102
Everyone takes a reaction at the same time and you determine if a fight breaks out.
>>
>>53870015
>if you create a character who is specifically using they/them pronouns on a broadcast game and most of the players fail to use the pronouns, it just sends the message that they don’t care enough to show the bare minimum of respect towards nonbinary people
Don't take it so seriously, I just find this funny. They take a shit on anything they want to, that doesn't make the medium any worse. The only bad thing is when they actually have influence over the medium, like in comic books and certain areas within vidya, but that hasn't happened much if at all in /tg/s.
>>
>>53870102
Only roll initiative when a creature or player goes for an attack. If the goblins win the initiative and dont want to fight, they can back up, take a dodge action, and try to convince the two players that they dont want any trouble. If the wizard goes first then ot depends on if he wants to kill them or not. Same with the fighter. Most likely, the goblins will either retreat or fight if attacked.
>>
>>53870097
>>53870099
>>53870182
It will happen, in due time.
>>
>>53869983
How do you even make 5e sjw? All the characters are played by a player or DM
>>
>>53870182
>but that hasn't happened much if at all in /tg/s.

>What is White Wolf, WotC and Paizo
>>
>>53870184
That's what I think is the right call but I've seen players get pissy when they don't get a free "But I started it" round.
>>
File: 1481171685482.jpg (469KB, 1600x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1481171685482.jpg
469KB, 1600x1035px
>>53870195
Sixth edition will have mandatory gender identities, gender expressions, biological sex and sexual orientation forms in the character sheet. For the DM to be inclusive, they will require you to use the proper pronouns.
>>
>>53870197
Paizo is shit anyway, WotC has some but I'm not sure how it has made their products worse, and white wolf hasn't been relevant for years.
>>
>>53870206
>6th
at the speed wotc are dropping 5e books, I'll be dead before 6th
>>
>>53870206
Why are these people always so... What's a good word, childish? It's always coloring books, saccharine sweet hugs n' kisses and gingerbread bright colors wooo weee~! Posting.
>>
>>53869983

Blood of tyrants, anon. The evil will end when we all rise up and decide to end it.
>>
>>53869518
I don't even get where people have the impression that CR is "babby mode" from, Mercer runs some fairly challenging combats and usually doesn't pull punches
>>
Will Xanathar's Guide have the Mystic and the Artificer?
>>
>>53870206
Well now I've decided my next character is an androgynous genderqueer intersex bisexual dwarf life cleric
>>
>>53870273
Inshallah, the demographic shifts will put an end to this. When offered a weak horse or a strong horse, women and children will always go for the strong horse, and that is exactly what the new demographics are.

The evil will end with a whimper in an alleyway or their deathbed.
>>
>>53870206
>>53870194
Slippery slope assumptions doesn't help your argument, you said they "are taking a shit" on rpgs, so back that up or quit your whining.
>>
>>53870295
No. Subclasses, spells, feats, magic items and backgrounds
>>
>>53870206
>That pic
There's is literally nothing unreasonable about any of that, so while you are using the pronoun-strawman typical of tumblerina, the image you are using with is far too reasonable for a gender-politics bait.
>>
File: 1479296218963.jpg (38KB, 262x133px) Image search: [Google]
1479296218963.jpg
38KB, 262x133px
>>53870333
>nothing unreasonable about any of that
>>
>>53870329
That's a shame, do they have any plans to make them official?
I know we're trying to avoid the massive class-bloat that 3.5 suffered from, but I want some new classes that cover concepts that archetypes alone cannot.
>>
>>53870194
Well it's a good thing you're in a hobby where the content of the game is entirely moderated by the people running and playing it then, isn't it?

I get where you'd be coming from if you were talking about video games or comic books, but unless you're already actively gaming with SJW there's no reason why SJW stuff would affect the games you play. It's a hobby where the content is based entirely on the GM looking at the book and deciding what to use.
>>
>>53870357
Anon, the best way to beat these people is to overcome their filth. Be a man, play a man.
>>
You are autists.
>>
>>53870374
Some of that shit is baked into the campaigns so deep the DM has to do a fuckton of work to dig them out.

For example, Wrath of the Righteous for Pathfinder features an interracial transsexual lesbian couple, a mansplaining white asshole and an interracial homosexual couple with a drug-addicted partner. This isn't something you can really alter with a few gender-pronoun changes.
>>
>>53870357
Calling it a sliding scale spectrum is oversimplifying things but these are, in broad strokes, very close to how the categories and language I was trained while getting my degree in child counseling
>>
>>53870374
Exactly this, if you don't like it, just don't do it.
There's no rules or adventure paths or anything forcing this down your throat.
The same old group of rainbow-haired attention whores will scream at you over this, but they'll scream at anyone over anything, so ignore them, nobody relevant takes those people seriously.
>>
>>53870408
>very close to how the categories and language I was trained while getting my degree in child counseling

You better be a woman, because good luck being a man and getting anywhere near a child.
>>
>>53870099
Why, what are the perpetually offended upset about this week?

And what does it have to do with Critical Role?
>>
Is there something wrong with the Kaladesh book? It seems to not want to load images, making most of the book just black screen.
>>
>>53870195
>How do you even make 5e sjw?
the same way you make every game SJW according to /tg/, have a single sentence in a 300+ page book talk about respecting your group's comfort zones or something.
>>
File: 1431111233577.gif (325KB, 370x330px) Image search: [Google]
1431111233577.gif
325KB, 370x330px
>>53870416
>so ignore them, nobody relevant takes those people seriously.

People were saying that 10 years ago. Would you say things have improved since then?

Ignoring them is one of the most toxic things you can do, it validates everything they say.
>>
>>53870405
Then play it for laughs and make them hilarious flamboyant stereotypes, make the mansplain man more sympathetic.
There is literally nothing you can't change about it when you run it yourself.
>>
>>53870326
>>53870374
>>53870379
>>53870408
>>53870416
>>53870445
>just ignore the fire, it'll eventually go away
>>
File: 1392283698269.jpg (85KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1392283698269.jpg
85KB, 550x550px
>>53870459
>Then play it for laughs and make them hilarious flamboyant stereotypes

Do you have ANY idea how problematic that is? You have a right to do whatever you want behind closed doors, but the current social climate is such that it's literally impossible to be *that* flamboyant without getting somebody extremely uncomfortable. This stuff is so prevalent in Tabletop and Internet culture that you can't really be "flamboyantly stereotypical" unless you're playing with card-carrying Nazis.
>>
>>53870483
I do that sort of thing all the time, but the people I play with are my personal irl friends and we tend to make light of most things.
>>
File: 1433716581317.png (41KB, 213x201px) Image search: [Google]
1433716581317.png
41KB, 213x201px
In Curse of Strahd, do you think I could RP Strahd as a sad, old man who is genuinely tired of it all and wishes he could let go, but can't?

I intend to have him kidnap a player for a one-on-one discussion (the player most likely to convert) and maybe Strahd could go full emo on him, how he can't let go of all these thoughts and memories of his beloved and his brother, that everyone he cares about goes away, that he's imprisoned in his empire of dirt and the player could have it all. After all he is looking for a successor.

I was going to kidnap the player so the party has a reason to go to the dinner, do you think he could portray himself as vulnerable and tired to the player but then cocky and arrogant and scary and unpredictable at the dinner table? Maybe that way the kidnapped player could sense he's just pretending to be tough, and sympathise with him

Would it weaken him as a character?
>>
>>53870459
>There is literally nothing you can't change about it when you run it yourself.

>Most of this book is SocJus trash, but I'm going to rejigger almost every encounter to be palatable for an audience outside of Portland or San Francisco
>I'm going to buy the book too, and say how good it is after making my adjustments
>That'll show 'em

You're using the same argument men use to rationalize them taking care of their wife's son.
>>
>>53870483
It's so prevalent that I have never encountered it.
>>
File: IMG_3430.jpg (24KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3430.jpg
24KB, 225x225px
>>53870483
>card-carrying Nazis.

Well, I guess I better go and practice my Victory Salute...

Seig heil!

*rolls eyes*
>>
>>53870483
You're daydreaming.
>>
>>53870523
>do you think he could portray himself as vulnerable and tired to the player but then cocky and arrogant and scary and unpredictable at the dinner table?

Of course? You just have to see the Player less as a person or even a guest, but more an "object" Strahd can talk plainly and openly to. The Player isn't there to offer their opinions or fix his problems or do anything like that, the Player is there because Strahd needs to vent.
>>
>>53870523
>In Curse of Strahd, do you think I could RP Strahd as a sad, old man who is genuinely tired of it all and wishes he could let go, but can't?

Technically, although that doesn't mesh well with the lore of the Darklords. The idea behind them is not just that they did something wrong, but that they are basically incapable of admitting that what they did was wrong.

Like, you don't get to be a Darklord by saying "I did evil for the greater good". You have to genuinely believe that the fucked-up thing you did was actually good.

It's why Lord Soth didn't stay a Darklord after the Dark Powers initially brought him to the Land of Mists: Lord Soth KNOWS that what he did was fundamentally wrong and fucked up, and that he's a horrible person who deserves every bad thing that happened to him.

Again, though, it's not innately wrong to play Strahd that way otherwise. Just make sure your players aren't too versed in Darklord lore.
>>
File: shadesketball.gif (1MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
shadesketball.gif
1MB, 400x400px
>>53870524
>he buys books
>pathfinder books
>>
>>53870365
Considering so far it's been;
>Nov 2015: SCAG
>Nov 2016: Volos
>Nov 2017: XGE
I'd imagine Q4 2018 if not later
>>
>>53870524
>Most of this book

Which book?
>>
>>53870587
Hell's Rebels, probably.
>>
>>53870295
I have heard that it will, but I have also heard that it won't. I know they will for sure be coming out with an official, AL legal mystic during the next season, but only time will tell whether it will have its own pdf or if it will be in XGtE.
>>
>>53870595
Never heard of it.
>>
>>53870568

Yeah, Darklords are people who fought their worse nature and lost every single time and would still make the choice if offered it again.

Strahd is a horrible guy but as much as he suffers, he'd still take the deal to kill his brother at the drop of a hat if offered it again.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170608-214254.png (485KB, 1349x643px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170608-214254.png
485KB, 1349x643px
So what's actually wrong with Critical Role besides "it introduces casuals to my secret club"? Never watched it myself but I see it get shitposted about here a lot.
>>
>>53870524
>You're using the same argument men use to rationalize them taking care of their wife's son.

He may have been your father but he wasn't your daddy?
>>
>>53870595
>>53870605
It's fucking garbage, it's one of the actual worst pathfinder adventures ever written.
In addition to being a shoddily designed clunky mess or terrible encounter building and annoying and unmemorable characters, it also is basically a very transparent tumblrina revenge fantasy.
>>
File: End him rightly.jpg (177KB, 1007x900px) Image search: [Google]
End him rightly.jpg
177KB, 1007x900px
>Play for 2 years with flanking
>Suddenly, suggest that we should play without it for a few sessions
>The game instantly improves - fights become more exciting, class features more important, and our actions more imaginative
Who would have thought?
>>
>>53870620
imagine watching your own group on video.
Imagine that level of cringe as an outside observer.
>>
>>53870605
It's a campaign set in the setting's Not!SanFran, where the party are a group of scrappy Chaotic Good rebels fighting against an evil white male who murdered the city's previous mayor, a freedom-loving colored woman who never used a firm hand on the city's Bohemian lifestyle. You are introduced into the campaign's secret rebel society by a Trans-man in a Starbucks ran by a chubby Halfling woman, and eventually you must do everything from smuggle in Contraceptives to work with a Wisdom 7 Diva slut to rescue a man's boy-toy before the campaign culminates in killing the evil white man in Hell, which includes an in-game Trigger Warning because some of the content is just too graphic (specifically, the antagonist watched his sister bathe without her consent.)
>>
>>53870620
The show? Nothing. The cast? They are way too progressives, and sometimes they leak their leftist shit into the show, but I just ignore it.
>>
File: tumblr_opjsn1imCq1snq8dno1_500.jpg (159KB, 500x726px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opjsn1imCq1snq8dno1_500.jpg
159KB, 500x726px
>>53870640
>>
>>53870620
At least it doesn't go all minstrel show about how nerdy and quirky they are, so that's a definite plus compared to others.
>>
>>53870653
my group never played without flanking. We used flanking since day 1. Interestingly, we are all thoroughly enjoying 5e. Except for one guy, but he's incapable of enjoying a character for more than three sessions.
>>
>>53870670
But that "cringe" doesn't actually appear to have been the effect of Critical Role. Everyone but /tg/ talks about how it's been bringing about a huge influx of players and WOtC itself seems to be treating it as something really good for their sales.

People generally speaking seem to like it, not cringe
>>
>>53870685
>The cast are a bunch of progressive leftists that can't contain their virtue boners
>People still find ways to say they're not progressive enough

The left must eat itself.
>>
>>53870620
It's a show where you just watch other people play d&d right?
That sounds pretty boring.
>>
>>53870653
Explicate please, I'm a new DM. Informed about conga lines, but uh, advantage is merely +3 on average. Not sure what'd change, core combat options are still "come close and hit the guy (with a maneuver, optionally)" or "stay back and do a certain ranged attack"
>>
>>53870681
Okay. The problem seems as simple to solve as not buying that modules.
>>
>>53870718
Never read the chat during the live show, then, you'll see some insane levels of backseat gaming from those loonies.
>>
>>53870620

I tried watching it, but found it yawn-inducingly boring. Playing D&D is fun, but I just can't watch other people play. It's not for me.
>>
>>53870620
I actually enjoy it.

Most of the characters are well played(although Keyleth's wanna-be "profound" grand speeches get on my fucking nerves), the story lines are exciting and tie into the back stories of the PCs and a lot of the major NPCs, and the NPCs are expertly played.

The problem, if any, is that these guys are professional voice actors. And while that makes the show incredible to watch, it also sets up some unrealistic expectations for what someone's home game might actually be like.

Not every DM will be Matt Mercer.

Not every player will be as good as Laura, Travis, Taleisin, Liam, Sam, and Ashley.

You'll like have more than a few That Guys like Marisha and Orion.

It's a damn good show, but it sets unrealistic expectations for what a typical game looks like.
>>
>>53870741
>>53870723
Watching DnD is great when you're incapable of actually getting into a DnD campaign because, surprise surprise, the kind of people who bitch and moan about "diversity" and "gender expression" are almost always the same kind of people you wouldn't want sitting next to you on the bus.
>>
>>53870568
Maybe he believes all these things, but if he was ever put to the test and had the chance to fix it, he'd always pick the bad path again.

Like an alcoholic who knows he's hurting himself and he needs to stop, but he's never actually going to do it.
>>
File: 300px-MontreGousset001.jpg (26KB, 300x261px) Image search: [Google]
300px-MontreGousset001.jpg
26KB, 300x261px
New DM here.

HOW THE FUCK do you measure time for spells outside combat? For example, a spell can be maintained for up to X hours. How can the pc know how much time has elapsed/remains? There is no way to count time besides watching the sun and that isn't accurate enough. Halp me /tg/.
>>
>>53870800
It's a subject the game rules do not touch upon in detail, so every DM has his own answer.

I generally calculate time that has passed vaguely, and it works well enough to not warrant further detail.

I try to keep it logical, for example if a player cast invisibility and then they searched the room, then opens a door and asks me how much time passed, I'm not gonna say 1 hour.
>>
>>53870800
In my mind, people who grow up in a world with few ways of accurately telling time have the ability to keep fairly accurate mental track of how long it's been since an hour has passed, unless they become very distracted by something or fall asleep and wake up not knowing exactly how long they were sleeping.

This goes double for casters who have a lot of practice keeping track of their X hours spells.
>>
>>53870733
There's conga lines, yes, but you must also consider the fact that flanking gives an advantage essentially for nothing, making barbarian's reckless attack, mastermind's help action, shoving and many other sources of it useless. Why bother using tactics or coming up with clever use of your surroundings, if you can just stand on the opposite sides of the enemy?
It's fucking dumb.
>>
File: IMG_0002.jpg (577KB, 1044x1349px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0002.jpg
577KB, 1044x1349px
How would I build a character like this bad motherfucker right here? Looking for ideal stats, items, skills, etc.
>>
>>53870855
The player can also say "I spend roughly half an hour doing X."

Or you can say "It takes you an hour to walk back to the Tavern from the Mage's Tower."
>>
>>53870855
>>53870867
>>53870904

I guess i shouldn't be too strict about it then.
>>
File: ttgl prologue.webm (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ttgl prologue.webm
1MB, 480x360px
I'm planning for the group to level beyond lvl20 and go full gurren lagann on the gods. Enemy ideas and stats for them? Ideas how should I handle fighting the gods themselves?
>>
File: 812873126551289730124.jpg (89KB, 900x472px) Image search: [Google]
812873126551289730124.jpg
89KB, 900x472px
>>53870800
One of the most unpleasant experience I've ever had as a player was way back in 3.5 when our GM decided the most clever way to track a spell with a ten minute duration in a social situation at a ball would be playing the conversation/interaction out in five minutes worth of combat rounds, timing us in six-second intervals when we talked with a stopwatch.

It was as miserable as you'd expect.

I guess my answer is "anything but that"
>>
File: 1410765740376.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1410765740376.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>53870874
You go back to the 40k threads :^)
>>
>>53870941
Have you tried using a different game?
>>
>>53870941
I believe 3.5 would be a more fitting system for this.
>>
>>53870978
>>53870963
It's kinda too late to switch systems.
>>
File: 1496816140165.jpg (21KB, 220x188px) Image search: [Google]
1496816140165.jpg
21KB, 220x188px
>>53870870
Thanks
>>
>>53868706
>STOP ROLLING FOR STATS
Agreed

>druids are gay
This is true

>Feats are an optional rule.
They are, and you should ban them from your game.

>Can I play as a kender?
No
>>
>>53870923
Don't be strict about things that aren't fun

Don't waste time nitpicking details like how much time has passed or if the archer remembered to buy enough arrows or whatever

You and a bunch of other people spend like 4-6 hours of free time on a thing, your job is to make it as crammed as possible with good and interesting stuff that the players enjoy (be it story, RP, combat or whatever your group likes most). That's why you shouldn't ever open rulebooks during play. Don't waste time.
>>
>>53871035
By the way there is one thing you should be strict about: players wasting time

If players argue about a rule, you decide how it works and note it down to look it up later. That's the end of discussion. If a player pushes about it, that's when you get strict. In my games they lose a level. It will happen once, and only once. Then it won't happen again.
>>
File: 1456711435729.jpg (62KB, 736x715px) Image search: [Google]
1456711435729.jpg
62KB, 736x715px
>>53870374
>When your DM or fellow players are gigantic SocJus stereotypes and it impacts your character or the way you play

Has this happened to any of you? Because it happened to me after joining a rando Roll20 campaign. It happened to me so hard, I just don't know anymore.
>>
>>53871122
>random roll20 campaign

Why would you do that though
>>
>>53871135
Couldn't find any here and I'm a filthy, sloppy boy who is willing to rake the muck until I find a halfway decent nugget to chew on.

No FLGS in the immediate area did it, too.
>>
>>53871122
A female friend joined once, she played a half-orc. The party dwarf made a racist joke, she killed him on the spot with a natural 20.

I liked it.
>>
>>53871154
>The party dwarf made a racist joke, she killed him on the spot with a natural 20.
Holy fuck I hate women.
>>
>>53869825
So shitty GM.

Gotcha. Because I can think of several reasons why yhe hats would stop bothering them. Or reasons why they need the party aside from arbitrary "I am a shit GM" reasons.
>>
>>53871256
>Individual does something stupid
>Hates an entire group she belongs
>>
>>53871282
Besides birthing your children and cooking meals, there is nothing else of good from women, collectively or individually.
>>
>>53870015
>browsing the thread
>read this for laughs
>she's upset the players didn't give respect to an EVIL GREEN DRAGON WHO WANTED THEM ALL DEAD
>she wants to be compared to an EVIL GREEN DRAGON WHO WANTS TO ENSLAVE HUMANITY AND BECOME A DRACOLICH

I don't

I don't understand these people /tg/
>>
>>53871122
I have a few friends that I have to be careful voicing my political opinions around.

They're the kind that would gladly see me shipped off to some reeducation camp gulag if they ever got their way.

Thankfully we can avoid talking politics 95% of the time and just enjoy discussing our nerdy interests.
>>
>>53871277
>Because I can think of several reasons why yhe hats would stop bothering them.

Sure, they could put a stop to it themselves by coming up with an actual plan for when the hags 'port in that's somewhat more complicated than "we're just going to keep going like this hasn't happened three days in a row."
>>
>>53871282
Women are collectively bad at anything game related, in general.
>>
>>53871337
What an annoying gimmick.
>>
File: kazuhira.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kazuhira.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>53871316
>tfw i'm in that exact situation myself
You feel it too, don't you?
>>
File: 1497622914948.jpg (62KB, 447x686px) Image search: [Google]
1497622914948.jpg
62KB, 447x686px
>mfw when I realize that my other friends who play D&D are probably sick of me telling them stories about my D&D sessions and the cool shit my character and the rest of the party does, because they no longer ask engaged questions or act like they give a shit
>mfw I have no one else to talk to about this shit that will appreciate it
>>
>>53871391
>>53871316
Welcome to life as a persecuted minority.
>>
>>53871416
I would love to, but I don't want to ruin the perfect status on my anonymity.
>>
>>53871298
And even then men make better chefs/cooks
>>
Could you inbreds talk about relevant topics at least in a single thread of this general?

If you wanna chitchat about your woes as an incel, do so outside of this general
>>
>>53871470
The only reason there are more female chefs is because robots are not (yet) better than them, and men would rather do something else.
>>
>>53871441
It's okay anon, I'll just redirect all of my storytelling energy into other shit. Maybe I should DM a game too, except I'd have to find other people to play with, because this group I play with are pretty busy people, and the DM has no interest in playing a PC in someone else's campaign.

But I don't want to DM for randos.
>>
>>53871337
Okay, i am a foreverGM, so bear with me here, but:

If my players ignored it, I would take it as a pretty obvious "fuck you and your shitty railroad" statement, and come up with something that wasn't just a stupid and pointless gimmick.

Honestly, why would they care? It lasts up to an hour. So once a day, a coven capable of casting 4th level slots, uses a ton of resources to polymorph them for 1 hour.

Frankly, just imagining this from a player perspective, I think I would also just go "'kay, time for a short rest guys" and ignore it. You are giving no legit reasons for doing as they say other than a token annoyance, which is a massive detriment to the hags, and a small speed bump for the PCs.

Yeah, the characters will likely be annoyed, but that's all.
>>
>all this political talk...

So... How 'bout those Githyankis?
>>
5egg how do I write a 1-shot that doesn't suck but could also be left open to possibly turn into a campaign?
>>
>>53871562
>politics
>>
File: nty.gif (526KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
nty.gif
526KB, 200x150px
>>53871416
>mfw I like D&D
>mfw I don't want to hear about your character

Also, please don't tell me about:
>weird dream you had
>ideas you had while you were high
>inside joke or references I don't get
>explanation of that inside joke or reference
>>
>>53871638
Wow, you're so powerful. Do you have a tumblr I can follow?
>>
>>53871562
Don't presume to *know* my ideology fucking prime. I am *known* as one of The People. We are Gith or Githzerai.
>>
File: 1493124685675.jpg (164KB, 551x491px) Image search: [Google]
1493124685675.jpg
164KB, 551x491px
>tfw the DM is so thick I have to keep up my own copy of the module book to make sure he actually doing it correctly
>>
>>53871565
What are you having trouble with? Writing a one-shot is honestly pretty easy.

>Think of an interesting problem.
>Come up with a few different motivations for the PCs to solve that problem.
>Put a cool monster at the end of it.

Is there a specific type of one-shot you're trying to write? Dungeon crawl, investigation, heist, defense, etc.
>>
Alright so this is fuckin dumb but hear me out
Running curse of strand soon, one of the characters was pulled from a modern setting. Was going to allow them to keep their phone as in item, which would basically only function as a torch seeing as how there's no signal.

However with strands ability to intercept communication to anyone outside barovia... What if the phone were to suddenly ring? Is this a dumb idea or could It end up being an entertaining way of strand messing with the party?
>>
>>53871769

I see no problem with the idea.

But...what class levels is a modern person gonna take?
>>
>>53871769
its intercepting communication, so if the character has a way to call anyone at all then he might be able to intercept. But, if you want to have it ring some day late at night, why not, its your game.

>>53871810
Fighter, barbarian (bodylifter), maybe a monk if he is asian, who knows.
>>
File: 1305480522390.png (4KB, 152x162px) Image search: [Google]
1305480522390.png
4KB, 152x162px
>>53871769
>>
>>53871769
The fact you are allowing a dumb idea in the first place means you should lean into it. I say actually text the player in game and in character. Maybe with a cheap $10 burner cell.
>>
>>53871769
stop
>>
File: 89834_donald-trump-laughing.jpg (46KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
89834_donald-trump-laughing.jpg
46KB, 640x470px
>>53871826
>maybe a monk if he is asian
>>
>>53871826
>>53871810
It's a bard, a performer from a low magic version of modern day, like magic exists but as a level 3 bard, she's way higher than most people and has used it to gain fame.

I'm doing a kind of timeline pull type thing, the party is her, a caveman-type, a royal diviner and an edgelord arcane archer
>>
>>53869598
>Remove death saves and implement something better.

what do you use instead? Also general call for anyone in the thread to pitch things that work better than death saves
>>
>>53871848
Actually, it seems pretty fun.
>>
>>53871759
>What are you having trouble with?
Thinking of something that isn't a cliche. I'm the newbie in a group of mostly veteran players. Surprising and exciting them is my biggest challenge.
>>
>>53871884
yeah bro what if the bard had an electric guitar aswell rofl that would be epic as hell!!
>>
>>53871769
>BUT WHO WAS PHONE?

Love it.
>>
>>53871878
I like 0 hp = dead
>>
>>53870599
Please let them drop the phb+1 limit for characters so I can make bugbearmont
>>
>>53871122
>New socjus player joins
>leaves after one session because of how everyone else acts
>>
>>53871878
The way to make game systems is to break them apart, analyze them, understand what they are trying to do and then change their mechanics to suit what you actually want them to do.

That being said, I use Schrodinger's rule.
But the existence of the rule must be a secret to the players.

Tell them to roll their death checks, but completely in private.
They tell no one, not even you.
Nobody knows if they're alive or dead unless they go and look.
When someone looks, pull the player aside and ask him, regardless of what he actually rolled, if his character is alive or dead.
The player decides.

It works, I can't really explain in detail, but the system ticks all the checkmarks of what a death system should actually do. Including things that are not obvious at first glance, like who bears responsibility, which subconsciously can fuck with your game in the long run.
>>
>>53870734
But thats one of many anon
>>
>>53871499
Cooking has always been one of the least respected positions in society, and even when it acquires a modicum of glory it was through the efforts of men.

Allowing non-landowners the right to vote was one of the worst decisions of the 19th century.
>>
>>53871769
Depends how serious the tone is, or if you play the horror a bit campy, could end up being hilarious. Like, strand calling you on give ominous threats and such, but not understanding the technology, having signal problems etc. Mostly I'm picturing strand saying "can you hear me now?".

Obviously if you play the horror aspects more seriously, it will probably kill the tone, but from what you've said it doesn't seem that way
>>
>>53871967
Do I smell a storytime?
>>
>>53870870
>essentially for nothing

my group used to use flanking, but we also had a rule that you couldn't move more than 5 feet within an enemy's threatened area without provoking attacks of opportunity, so two people engaged with an enemy couldn't always just flank for free. In the end we still got rid of flanking though
>>
>>53871967
Storytime plz anon senpai
>>
>>53871968
Holy shit.

Until now I didn't know if anybody used this system.
Good to know.
>>
>>53871949
I wish they would drop it. I would love to make a trident storm sorcerer sailor using a whole slew of lightning, thunder, wind, and water based spells. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they plan to drop it in official play and I have no group outside of my AL group to play 5e with.
>>
>Letting politics influence your fun
When did everything go wrong?
>>
>>53872056
There will be SCAG stuff on Xanathar's Guide, but they won't drop the phb+1
>>
>>53872061
When Christianity died in the Western world but weak-minded failures were still miserable, so instead of saying videogames beget murder or DnD is devil worship, videogames are now sexist and DnD is problematic.
>>
>>53871990
Women are decent at baking, if its from a recipe. Actually the women i know that are okay at cooking need to follow a recipe by the letter or are helpless. And they have pretty bland palates
Whenever i cook its seat of the pants and a whirlwind of spices. Ive been told im good, besides liking food spicy

Women cant cook chicken either
>>
>>53872056
Used to have one outside of AL, but the group in my town is a bunch of super cool actually normal people who play D&D, with alot of DMs from the older days of D&D. Basically normal d&d, got lucky i guess
>>
Gonna be in a PotA game soon. DM is allowing all officially published material (no UA) barring the Monstrous races from VGtM. The other four players know what they'll be doing:
>Tempest Cleric (gonna be a blaster)
>Fiend Bladelock
>Fiend Tomelock (EB machine)
>Monk (wants to grapple a lot)

What would be a good thing to play in this composition? I don't want to go wizard, since I played a transmutation wizard in the last game I had with these guys.
>>
What is one of the more unique dungeon traps/gimmicks that I can use to change the experience of my players a bit?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1495855691892.jpg (14KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1495855691892.jpg
14KB, 250x391px
>>53871968
>ask them, regardless of what they actually rolled

So even if they roll three death failures, they can still just say they're alive?

How does that make any sense at all, nobody will ever want to die given the choice unless they're bored of the character or something.
>>
>>53872013
>>53872049
Not really a story, she just didn't like the sorts of jokes we made about characters and npcs. I remember someone said the word rape in a joke (no rape was involved, it's just the word they used to describe the situation we were in) and she just gave the player a death glare while everyone else was laughing at the joke
>>
>>53871940

Meh, it's way too easy for a stray fireball to roast your backline then. I've been instakilled by things that could do twice my HP in damage before I got a turn in combat; if doing damage equal to my HP could kill me, no character would ever survive.

>>53871968

I feel like if you're doing that there should be some indication of how bad the character looks, even if it's not as obvious as "he's failed two saves" Like, his breathing is becoming weak, he's lost a lot of blood, etc
>>
7-8 level PCs going to Baldur's Gate. What bullshit side quest can I throw at them? I don't want it to take more than 6-7 in game days.
>>
>>53872114
>Bland palates

Holy shit I thought I was the only one, all the women I know have hyper-specific tastes that range from "salt on everything" to "I can't stand white meat."
>>
>>53872139
don't they know that rape can mean more than forced sex
>>53872162
Throw in a tranny
>>
>>53872123

>Grapple Monk

Oh dear.

I suggest a two-weapon fighting barbarian or TWF Str Fighter.
>>
>>53870941
I believe the stats don't matter much because the system breaks on that level anyway. The PCs will be immortal with clones in a demiplane, steamroll anything below CR 25 and initiative will be the decider for most combat encounters. I'm not sure what system actually does it well, 4th might be a bit too grounded but should be balanced, 3rd is a mess but might work better on that level if you can get around that. Even if you're doing 5e, if you can find a game that does it well you can steal certain mechanics and methods to improve the experience.
>>
>>53872139
I wonder, do your ears still burn when someone's writing about you on a blog? Because you're probably the Satan of that woman's story, now.
>>
>>53872123
Storm. Sorc
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 495x778px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 495x778px
>>53871769
Strahd always finds a way. It would be funny for him to call at bad times like when the party is trying to sneak past some enemies and not being able to mute/silence the phone when he calls.
>>
>>53872170
>Throw in an elf
>>
>>53872135
You'd be surprised.
Many people choose to die. I am guessing it is because they rolled three failed saves and chose to keep the roll out of a sense of "honor" or whatever.
The human mind works in weird ways.

In any case, if someone is bored with their character, they can choose to die and make a new one.
If someone can't be bothered to make a new one, or has no time to do it, they can choose to say they are stable.

It makes no difference, the rolls could have gone either way every time.
But it's not left to luck and the player takes full responsibility for his choice, which is important.
>>
>>53872198
Trannies aren't hermaphrodites silly
>>
>>53872170
They're trying to make the word "rape" as grave as the Holocaust, and as "exclusive" to a specific group of people as "nigger."
>>
>>53872195
>call at bad times
yes
>not being able to mute/silence the phone
no, this is a garbage idea
>>
>>53872200
>But it's not left to luck and the player takes full responsibility for his choice, which is important.

I feel like my DM would see it the opposite way. If you can choose not to die, there is no tension. Why would you play a game about rolling dice if you don't want to leave things to chance?
>>
>>53872200
Black leaf is dead. Get out of here
>>
>>53870523
Sounds more interesting than any other interpretation.
>>
>>53872233
Some people want to shit out big numbers with no real consequence.
>>
>>53872233
That is why the rule's existence must be a secret
>>
>>53872123
I would say either s&b paladin of the crown or bear totem barbarian. This group definitely needs a tank.
>>
>>53872291

how do you keep it a secret when your players are the ones doing the rolling?
>>
>>53872277

DnD's numbers aren't even big,just play Diablo or something then
>>
Best domain for a "reformed" thief turned Cleric who still cons people into giving her tithes for healing services?
>>
>>53872418
Trickery
>>
>>53871968
>>53872200
Certainly more interesting then my game. We play death saves straight but no revive/resurrection magic(including wish). Exception being a clerics divine intervention with a recent death. Yours sounds fun but wouldn't work with all groups.
>>
>>53872418
>not playing a thief turned cleric who cons people out of money by saying it all goes to the church
>>
>>53872162
someone pls help :(
>>
There are UA missing on the trove
>>
>>53872124
I ran a 4-dimensional Tesseract Dungeon, which was confusing and interesting for the players. Here's a few things I put in there:
>Doors of instant reincarnation: These doors lead into a beholder's lair. Touching them forces a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or changes the players race as the spell Reincarnate does. I like to use a more extreme reincarnate table, but the normal one works fine too.
>Disintegration field: At a certain point in a hallway, the gravity shifts from down to forward, causing players to fall into a magical field that acts as a Disintegrate spell does (the field is hidden behind an illusory wall). A DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check is required to catch yourself from "falling." On a failure, take damage from the Disintegrate spell with no saving throw.
>Mage's Disjunction: Walking into this trap causing an extremely powerful burst of disruptive magic to come forth. All spellcasters must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or lose 2d4 worth of spell slots and have a 5% chance to lose the ability to spellcast. Additionally, for each magical item, roll a d20. On a certain number (5/4/3/2/1 or lower for common/uncommon/rare/very rare/legendary magical items respectively), the item loses its magical properties. This trap ceases to function after being activated once.
>>
>>53872340
Deaths don't happen every session.
When you pull the player aside, don't explain to him the rule. Also don't ask him to tell you what he rolled, you shouldn't know if he cheated or not.
>>
>>53869271
Ask on /tgesg/
Avoid CHIMposters and looking too deep into the lore and they'll give you plenty of maps
>>
>>53872498
>Deaths don't happen every session.

You mean knockouts? they do in our games.

>When you pull the player aside, don't explain to him the rule. Also don't ask him to tell you what he rolled, you shouldn't know if he cheated or not.

How do you get him to roll in secret and not tell anyone without explaining to him that he has to roll in secret and not ell anyone?
>>
>>53872475
What are some examples of what said players were reincarnated into?
>>
>>53872620
We already rolled in secret, otherwise it's kinda shitty

We had situations where someone was dying for 3 rounds but people were like "it's okay he's succeeded 3 times I don't need to run over there and heal him"
>>
>>53872438
>no revive/resurrection magic(including wish)

I've never played at a high enough level where this was even possible. Actually, wait, in one game our cleric did manage to Revivify someone right after a fight. That's it, and that's the highest level game I've ever played in.
>>
File: UbWTz3J.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UbWTz3J.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>53868414
Thinking of running Curse of Strahd for a group, I've made plenty of adventures but never ran a module.

Any tips regarding that specific adventure, or running from modules in general?
>>
>>53872624
Wood elf monk, upon learning what the door does and making the saving throw, decided to go full madman and touch it again. After some rolling, he ended up as a Satyr.

Generally, you can take just about any CR 2 or lower creature with sentience and make it into a reasonable race. I like to put things like goblinoids, gith, a bunch of fey, certain monstrous humanoids, etc. on the list. Other, higher CR creatures can be toned down by removing abilities that seem to come from "experience" (i.e., hit dice, skills, weapon-based multiattack, equipment, etc).
>>
>>53872659
Revivify is only 3rd level. Honestly I have no problem with cheating death. Just with death saves *and* magic its too common place. Basically we play either-or with the two.
>>
>>53872723
I will copypaste another anon's tips for CoS (8 in total):

1) Read the whole module. Twice. Three times. Four times. As many times as it takes for you to make all the connections between the locations and characters, and there are lots of those.

2) There are a lot of subplots in the game, and your players will likely outlevel such things as Izek and lady Wachter before dealing with them.
That's not a reason for you to just have them easily killed and return to the main plot. No, you change their stats, you make them more threatening, you develop their subplots.
In my game, Strahd was driven to despair and rage by something the party did, so he revealed the secrets of the Amber Temple to Wachter, massively empowering her, and ordered her to raze Vallaki, so the party will lose all the people they care about in Barovia.
So Wachter staged a massive revolt - but instead of her shitty stats, she now was Warlock of the Fiend, and she gained Cult Fanatics, Priests, Veterans, Hellhounds, Bandit captains and Succubi as her minions. Something similiar happened to Izek.

3) Foreshadow EVERYTHING. Give the party cryptic hints of Barovia's secrets or strange visions.
Does your party have a paladin, a just and noble soul? In his dreams, he sees a handsome, but sad knight, who looks very much like him. Later, in some mansion, he finds an ancient portait of the man - but nobody can remember who is he and what is he famous for.
When the party rests in Vallaki, you tell one of the players he can't sleep - and while restless, he sees a strange purple light from burgomaster's attic. What's going on here?

4) Every faction needs a face, both allies and enemies, so players can love and hate them. When party contacts Keepers of the Feather, it's usually a young, green scout called Muriel Vinshaw. When party's attacked by werewolves, they're usually led by a cruel monster, Kiril Stoyanovich. When it's the druids, it's an old madman, Chernomor.
>>
>>53872809
>>53872723
And the other 4:

5) Use Strahd. Use him in unexpected, unconventional ways. Strahd visits the party in disguise and gives them a quest! Does it lead into a trap? Maybe, but maybe it's legitimate. Why would Strahd give the party a quest? Maybe he needs them to venture outside of Barovia, so they'll bring something to him - maybe something he wants to use for an escape. The party doesn't need to know they've left his domain, by the way.
Or maybe he offers them an advice - seek out a wise old mentor, a vampire hunter van Richten, as only he knows Strahd's weakness. Then he spies on the party - they'll lead him to the hunter for sure.

6) Speaking of Strahd, whatever the cost, get the party into Castle Ravenloft early. Maybe Ireena/Ismark overestimate the party and underestimate Strahd, and encourage PCs to go there at the very beginning. Or maybe, Strahd's invitation is genuine, and he actually does have a sick, twisted dinner with them. Maybe there's an artifact there, and they need to steal it.
Show them Hall of Bones. Let them meet some of the antagonists, like Kiril or Arrigal, in a non-violent matter. Show them a preview of the endgame dungeon, show them they're vastly outside of their league, but then let them leave, so they can come back in the very end.

7) Whatever the cost, do the tarot card reading with them. Potentially it's one of the most memorable moments of the adventure. It does not mean, however, that you shouldn't stack the deck with places/allies you like.

8) It may be cheesey, but if your PCs like their allies, end the adventure with a feast, a party in Vallaki. Have all their living favourites be there. Give them a Force Ghost Anakin moment, with the party seeing a ghost of Sergei, smiling and giving him an approving nod.
>>
How do multiple charm spells work on the same creature? Can you charm someone away from someone else?
>>
File: Smug elf.jpg (321KB, 1038x1393px) Image search: [Google]
Smug elf.jpg
321KB, 1038x1393px
>>53872648
Kind of happened to me once during a near TPK with a band of hobgoblins riding worgs along with their captain. Got ko'd and left there rolling death saves and made all 3. The thing the other players forgot about in the fight was that the wizard started a forest fire by throwing oil and using burning hands on a few enemies. Then the fire quickly began to spread towards my unconscious body until I reminded them of that fact and they hauled my ass out of there.

Tldr: Make sure to know where your ko'd party members are and whether environmental hazards will kill them or not.

>>53872751
Was the effect permanent or reversible by using a certain spell (aside from wish)?

I mean it would be strange to walk through a door as a male human ranger and step out the other side as a high elven woman. Not necessarily a bad thing because long life and all, but still not you.
>>
>>53872858
I'd imagine they would just think both people are very good friends
>>
>>53872869
The effect was as if the spell Reincarnate had been cast, so the effect was presumably permanent (i.e., dispel magic and remove curse don't "restore" your race). While this is scary, there are certainly ways to avoid the trap. A Detect Magic spell will sense the magic on the doors, and opening the doors without touching it directly (perhaps by using a sword to push it open). Also, due to the nature of Reincarnate, that means that any curse on the player is lifted, so that's a neat bonus.

It's certainly an interesting trap. Of course, if you chose, you can always make it so that remove curse fixes it. I personally think it is more fun to have the effect be "permanent" (barring wish and other extraordinary circumstances). I would recommend putting a caveat on the door where it can only Reincarnate a person once (can't keep touching the door until you are something cool or back to normal).
>>
>>53872858
In 5E, spells with the same name do not stack.
The PHB says the most potent one, for example the one with the highest attack bonus, takes effect.
I'd say in this case, the charm person with the highest saving throw DC takes effect.
>>
>>53872723
1) Read the whole module. Twice. Three times. Four times. As many times as it takes for you to make all the connections between the locations and characters, and there are lots of those.
2) There are a lot of subplots in the game, and your players will likely outlevel such things as Izek and lady Wachter before dealing with them.
That's not a reason for you to just have them easily killed and return to the main plot. No, you change their stats, you make them more threatening, you develop their subplots.
In my game, Strahd was driven to despair and rage by something the party did, so he revealed the secrets of the Amber Temple to Wachter, massively empowering her, and ordered her to raze Vallaki, so the party will lose all the people they care about in Barovia.
So Wachter staged a massive revolt - but instead of her shitty stats, she now was Warlock of the Fiend, and she gained Cult Fanatics, Priests, Veterans, Hellhounds, Bandit captains and Succubi as her minions. Something similiar happened to Izek.
3) Foreshadow EVERYTHING. Give the party cryptic hints of Barovia's secrets or strange visions.
Does your party have a paladin, a just and noble soul? In his dreams, he sees a handsome, but sad knight, who looks very much like him. Later, in some mansion, he finds an ancient portait of the man - but nobody can remember who is he and what is he famous for.
When the party rests in Vallaki, you tell one of the players he can't sleep - and while restless, he sees a strange purple light from burgomaster's attic. What's going on here?
4) Every faction needs a face, both allies and enemies, so players can love and hate them. When party contacts Keepers of the Feather, it's usually a young, green scout called Muriel Vinshaw. When party's attacked by werewolves, they're usually led by a cruel monster, Kiril Stoyanovich. When it's the druids, it's an old madman, Chernomor.
>>
Is Facing optional DMG rule useful in your experience? Sorry for spoonfeeding request just in case. As I see it, the thing might actually speed up combat if there are more than 2 melee left on one of the sides.
>>
>>53868414
Combining darkness and faerie fire
>>
>>53873019
Oh, someone already copy-pasted it.
>>
>>53873004

Couple questions about this. How would you do ages? a 25 year old human and a 25 year old elf are quite different.

Also

>can't keep touching the door until you are something cool or back to normal

Assuming you allowed infinite uses,and someone who was originally human kept touching the door until they turned into a human again, is there any reason they would get turned into the SAME human? It's reincarnating them into a new form; why would it have their original form "programmed" in as one of the possible outcomes?
>>
>>53872809
>>53872818
These are great, thanks!
>>
>>53873026

How exactly does this work? Both RAW and in terms of "what the characters see."

Because going by the latter, the way I imagine it, Faerie Fire doesn't dispell darkness, so all the targets have glowy shit on them but the Darkness still makes it impossible to see so the Faerie Fire does essentially nothing unless they leave the darkness area.

Looking through the spells I'm not seeing anything in RAW that would contradict this.
>>
>>53872809
>>53872818
Fug I wish my DM had read this stuff. Especially 3 and 4. Our party just stumbles blindly around the countryside looking for ways to piss off Strahd until he lets us leave.
>>
>>53873138
Darkness stops all non magical light, so to the players i describe a black sphere with piercing lights around where the targets are but not directly illuminating them
>>
>>53873079
It's rather good you ask this question now, because I just so happened to have this conversation with my players a few days ago. I do reincarnation ages proportionally. A middle aged human gets the body of a middle aged elf. An elderly gnome would become an elderly tiefling. It works out.

As to the second question, that depends on how you want to do Reincarnation. The way I see it, there are two different ways:
>Similar: All reincarnation forms bear semblance to the original form (i.e., a human turning into an elf would still retain some features like birthmarks, face shape to an extent, etc.)
>Different: Reincarnation forms bear no semblance to the original form intentionally.

I personally do the former, though if you do the latter, then allowing players to undergo reincarnation multiple times probably won't hurt.

There are plot reasons for why the Doors of Instant Reincarnation can't be taken out of the dungeon and abused, though you can always come up with another reason.
>>
>>53873195

"nonmagical light can't illuminate it " doesn't mean"all magical light illuminates it" though.

Also

>If any of this spell's area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.

So I'm pretty sure the Darkness just dispells the Faerie Fire
>>
>>53873079
How so?

Elves may be long lived, but I highly doubt that they're infants for a decade, children for another 90 years, going through puberty for half a century, and not considered an adult until they're 180...
>>
Share your thoughts with me for a moment 5eg: What makes for a poor BBEG? Is there any concept simply too ridiculous to use, or is it all in the execution?
>>
>>53873232
Im looking at it from the perspective of magic working in tandem when cast by allies, basically augmenting each others spells
>>
>>53869377
perfect
>>
>>53873245
Chaotic Evil alignment
>>
>>53869657
>5e Fighter
>Gimp
Really gets the noggin a joggin
>>
>>53869289
RP it out
apprenticeship under some wizard, intensive program, all dat
>>
>>53873239

They become adults at age 100. Whatever they are before age 100, I'm pretty sure it's not adults.
>>
>>53873329
>>53873239
The Age entry for elves in the PHB outright says they reach physical maturity at about the same rate as humans. The "only adults at 100" thing is elvish cultural posturing.
>>
File: 1461989189313.jpg (47KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1461989189313.jpg
47KB, 550x550px
I want to terminate a quest line for my bard with giving him the mac-fiurmidh cittern. He is going to earn it by helping a satyr write a love song for a dryad, who will then gift it to him. Any suggestions for fun ways to play this out?

I am thinking of coming up with a few key points where he needs to make performance checks a la skill challenge, and giving him a few simple 'lyrics' to complete and return to the satyr (nothing embarrassing or intense, just like recommending that 'fair' rhymes with 'hair' or something).

What else should I toss in to make this a fun/memorable RP chance?
>>
>>53873312
So a level 1 character takes a 30 year wizard apprenticeship after his first day of adventuring?
>>
>>53873329
But is that biologically speaking, or culturally speaking?

Because I can't help but think that taking 100 years to completely physically mature into adulthood sounds a bit moronic.

Also, I'd hate to be an Elven parent dealing with a moody "teenager" for 20 years.
>>
Why would someone ever play a cavalier? It's just a worse Battle Mater!
>>
>>53873367
Makes sense, why not help take the satyr through glorious tasks to help inspire him for his song, like pushing a troll into a pond or taking a hag's wedding ring or something.
>>
>>53873329
>Meet Elf NPC
>They bring you back to their place
>Except it's really their parent's house
>Go to their room, dirty clothes on the floor, tapestries hung around the room that read "Minstrels of DOOM" and "Bardtallica"
>Someone yells something from upstairs
>Elf yells back LIKE YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME DAD STOP JUDGING FUCK and slams the door
>Scene continues from there

This is going in my next campaign somewhere
>>
>>53873414
they physically reach adulthood at around 12, but mentally are still kids for about 100 years.

>>53873423
Samurai is usually a good change to cavalier
>>
>>53873423
>Battle Mater
That sounds magical realm as fuck.
>>
>>53873414
>Because I can't help but think that taking 100 years to completely physically mature into adulthood sounds a bit moronic

If you were a dog and reached maturity in a couple years you'd probably think humans taking over a decade is moronic. And if you were a fly and reached maturity in a couple days you'd think it's moronic that dogs take years.
>>
>Half of my party don't know the rules
>Fighter doesn't know what his weapons do
>Ranger can't read his class features properly
>DM straight up didn't know how attunement worked

Then they make fun of me for knowing the rules. Playing is fun, but it hurts.
>>
>>53873423
>Battle Mater
>It's a ranger/battlemaster combination
>Superiority dice power their tactical mating techniques
>They get a +1 bonus against things that their species is compatible with
>>
>>53873454
Sounds like an Oglaf cartoon
>>
>>53873522
>>Fighter doesn't know what his weapons do

How is this even possible? You make an attack roll and roll damage, that's it
>>
>>53869286
Not really. I'd prefer a highly disposable one for when it eventually kicks the bucket that I can simply scavenging the barding from and continue on my merry way. A horse isn't going to be useful in 50% or more of the content you are playing, whether it's fighting inside or underground or the like. And picking your class solely for possession of a magic horse that isn't always going to be useful? Yeah, fuck that.
>>
>>53873522
That's how the party I was running for was. Eventually, just swapped them to Shadow of the Demon Lord and broke their spirits to the point that no-one wants to play. Felt fucking magnificent to break them down.

Still, experience playing Shadow definitely gave me some ideas for shit to carry into my next 5E campaign with players that aren't shitty and don't care.
>>
>>53873563
He didn't know what damage each one did or how the modifiers added up.
I had to tell him that the +2 rapier was better than his mundane scimitar.
>>
>>53873522
There is one player who always rolls a champion and he doesn't even know the difference between attack and and damage roll, he doesn't know where to apply proficiency or not.

Another player never uses his class features, he played a barbarian once and never used Rage.
>>
>>53873616
>Shadow of the Demon Lord
how is it?
>>
>>53873387
Don't MC wizard if you want to be autistic.
>>
File: spells.png (439KB, 504x580px) Image search: [Google]
spells.png
439KB, 504x580px
>>53873642
edgy
>>
>>53873625
make me feel less bad about our "charge, Melee basic attack" barbarian player.
>>
>>53873425
i like the use of inspiration, ill try to add that on to something for sure.
>>
Best TotYP adventure?
>>
>>53873642
Absolutely fantastic and absolutely brutal. It's way more designed for running something along the lines of Darkest Dungeon than the more heroic feel of DnD. There's even a line in the book about the fact that "Characters can die often -- and should." Your next character even starts off with a Healing Potion to make up for it, and since the game uses static healing rates like 4E -- pretty much required in a game where every combat could be your last, in order to properly gauge health -- that Healing Potion is actually a solid investment.

The game feels like the best parts of all editions of DnD, tweaked into a dark fantasy blend. Not surprising since the maker actually designed content for everything back to AD&D.

Have a free trove of the books, and give it a gander. Its version of Advantage/Disadvantage is miles better in my eyes, just because it allows you to have multiple instances of boons or banes instead of 5E's flat "You have Advantage. You can't have anything better."
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wq2k0r1bqesqt/RPG_Trove#9943da2obrg2y

>>53873721
Yeah, Forbidden magic is bonkers shit. In addition to those, it's animating the skeleton inside of someone's flesh, causing it to rip out of their body and start attacking everything around it and a spell that merges two people together into a horrifying flesh-beast. And just learning that magical tradition literally puts a black mark on your soul in the form of a corruption point, and every new spell you learn risks gaining more corruption. And at 9 points, when you fall Unconcious, devils rise from Hell to rip your straight down to eternal torment.
>>
>>53873622
>I had to tell him that the +2 rapier was better than his mundane scimitar

fuck, man, maybe he just liked Scimitars better?

>playing Barbarian
>wanted my character to wield Greatsword as his main weapon, for flavor
>campaign has a lot of non-combat parts
>end up in a situation where weapons are not allowed
>everyone tries to conceal a weapon on themselves anyway just in case
>remember I started with two handaxes
>manage to conceal them under my clothes
>later fight breaks out
>run in , dual wielding handaxes
>later on, haven't done much combat since then
>DM sets up some side quest that ends with me getting a legendary item
>it's a pair of +3 handaxes with a bunch of other magic shit
>>
>>53873484
Isn't there some copypasta about Dogs seeing humans as long-lived creatures that have cared for several generations of their family?

I've seen something like that before either here on tg or elsewhere on the web.
>>
File: 1493119832750.jpg (6KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
1493119832750.jpg
6KB, 221x228px
>>53873622
>giving a + weapon of another type than the martial wants to use
You stupid?
>>
File: 1491657206775.jpg (13KB, 480x452px) Image search: [Google]
1491657206775.jpg
13KB, 480x452px
>>53873765
>DM gives you TWO +3 weapons

I suppose the mildly OP staff I got is kinda similar.
>>
File: 1277875096625.jpg (147KB, 699x550px) Image search: [Google]
1277875096625.jpg
147KB, 699x550px
sup /5eg/, I need cool Orc names. for an orc campaign I'm gonna run.

First names, Clan names, surnames. Flavor text would be dope, but keep it short. Need quantity not deep lore quality yet

Accepting compound word surnames, but they need to be good.

k thx
>>
>>53873734
Honestly what else is a Barb supposed to do? It's not easy for them to be creative in combat
>>
>>53873846
Not every NPC needs to be named
Not every named NPC needs to have a surname
>>
>>53873819
He has a pair of vaguely magical handaxes, two scimitars and a longbow.
He had to be reminded what sort of weapons he uses.
There is no 'want'.
>>
>>53871968
I have a GM who does this.

I am not sure why, but people die more often all of a sudden. It's quite funny.

I think it causes some backwards logic, like "I have rolled 5 times. I should be dead or alive. I could say I survived, but then it could seem like I was cheating. If I just say I died, no one would think I lied". Regardless of what the dice actually rolled, I could totally see this happening.

I used it once where I was on my 4th roll, even on success and failures, but decided to take the death. It was a really climatic moment in the plot, and it was caused by my character rapelling out of a window to save a noble he had a soft spot for, who survived it. It seemed appropriate for the situation. The castle was being overrun by demons, and the group was trying to get as many out as possible. That one of us died felt appropriate somehow. Some nobles were trying to save me, but had no way of actually helping me.

It gives this power to the players. It lets them *decide* When the dramatically appropriate moment is.

It requires good players though. In the wrong group, it would be terrible.
>>
>>53871968
That sounds awesome, but how does it work (or doesn't work) in a long run? After experiencing such choice, wouldnt it break 4th wall for you next time someone, anyone, goes to 0HP?
>>
Just had a wild magic surge make me one size larger. Now I'm large. What does this even do besides make me take up 10ft by 10ft squares?
>>
File: 1288046768990.jpg (115KB, 472x297px) Image search: [Google]
1288046768990.jpg
115KB, 472x297px
>>53873896

I mean, a lot of these orcs are gladiatorial combatants more or less that the PC's are gonna be going up against. So a name alone obviously can add a lot to the contextual feel, atmosphere, and roleplaying hooks into the encounter.

And I figure people around here are creative, it'd be nice to have some ideas or names thrown around but w.e
>>
>>53871968
I like that rule too. Or at least the idea behind it...

>Player feels like death was mechanically fair/deserved, or suitably heroic/dramatic (>>53872135)
>Player was getting bored with the PC anyway
>Character dies

>Player feels like death was unfair or anticlimactic
>Player wanted to explore the PC's gameplay/story some more
>Character lives

>Of course, there is always a similar price, from a mechanics or story perspective.
>Whether the PC's dead or "dead" still leaves the party vulnerable, for example, and may lead to failure a story scale. After all, TPK isn't the only way to lose. (>>53872233)
>This only changes the OOC price of giving up your character sheet and working on another.

Keeping the rule a secret sounds like a pain in the ass, and pretty much impossible. And if your group is mature enough, why would you need to do that at all?

Just let them know survival isn't victory.
>>
>>53874549
Your carrying capacity is doubled, so there's something.
>>
>>53874648
Unfortunately it only lasts 1 minute. I think it's basically useless.
>>
>>53873846
Not trying to be cheap, but Warcraft got a lot of cool "surnames" like Doomhammer, Earthfury, etc. The same works for most races in the game.
>>
>>53874669
1 minute to beat your physical fitness personal best. You can do it.
>>
>>53872124
Here is a plan I have for one of my future dungeon traps (preferably a pirate base, water temple or something):
>Party climbs down into a pit, and then into a small chamber below ground level
>Elaborate mechanism near the doorway they just entered from, covered in gears and arcane glyphs
>Object they need (e.g. key) lies somewhere harmless and not too suspicious
>Touching the mechanism or taking the key triggers the trap
>Suddenly, mechanism whirs, a stone slab rises up to block the doorway
>Water start filling the room from small holes in the wall. Then a stone block at floor level slides away and some giant eel monster comes out
>Magic types and rogue types must unlock the arcane mechanism, and fighter types must handle the giant eel, before they all drown

Not sure if this could be fun, but I figure it's worth giving it a shot.
>>
Is it acceptable to have thesaurus.com and dictionary.com open while playing
>>
>>53869132
>Arcane Archers are 100% dogshit
They're a bit less shit now. Might even be good and fun by the time it's done.
>>
Can you use your bonus action on an enemy's turn? Like, would Knight's Implacable Mark reaction attack with advantage works with Rapid Strike?
>>
>>53868414
Has anyone ever used the Inquisitive Rogue Archetype? How much have you enjoyed it?
>>
>>53874731
I dont see why not, but why would you need that?
>>
>>53874769
I am pretty sure only action you can use outside of your turn is Reaction.
>>
>>53874746
I have a player looking to play one, though would it be fair to change the save DC to be the same as Battlemaster IE 8+dex+prof instead of int? makes their shots a bit closer in power, especially seeing as how they get less of them
>>
>>53874731
Use simpler descriptions, people's minds fill in the blanks.

>"You're in a spooky cemetary at night"
is as good as a description as any. People have already imagined the crumbling tombstones, the mausoleums, the fog and all that.
>>
>>53874746
Less shit, but still trash. They were more or less pointless, now they're just terrible. Samurai, Battlemaster, and even maybe Sharpshooter make for better archers. And if you want to just waggle your fingers, say your Battlemaster's tricks are cantrips.
>>
>>53874903
>tfw no imagination
I have to use miniatures to visualize the fights
>>
We run more than 5 failed death saving throws your out, but they don't refresh until long rest.

On critical hits and hitting 0hp we have a mini crit table that include some results like half speed until short rest, frightened for 10mins, poisened for 10 mins, stunned for 1d3 rounds or immediately suffer 1d3 failed death saving throws.

Mostly to have a significant threat of crit without likely "oops you die reroll" or "oops your GWF barb lost an arm refill." But also as a mechanic for punishing the 0hp just healing word and repeat.
>>
>>53875001
Oh no, don't tell me you use a grid too?
It's such a waste of time.

Just build your encounters around "moves".
e.g.
Characters enter the room three moves away from the bad guys and one moves away from the friendly NPC they must save.
The "moves" distance isn't just in feet, it could be difficult terrain, or a height difference that must be climbed up or down.
Maybe there's cover one move away or something.

When a player's turn comes, he can move to cover and ranged attack, or move to the NPC to protect him, or double move to close in on the bad guys
Whatever they do, it's ten times faster than counting squares - a shit system.
>>
>>53873846
BRIKKFIST
SPOOKUMS
MISTA NAILBRAIN
KAPTINN BLUDDFLAG
>>
>>53875109
I think they're fun anon
>>
>>53874903
>>53874838
Cuz I'm really bad at writing in my own language, let alone English. Actually English is better which makes it much sadder.
>>
>>53875109
I have to use grids or else some people would be constantly asking where they are.
>>
>>53875021
>barb lost an arm
Sounds like time to get an artificial replacement.

>>53875165
Another reason I was happy to axe my party. Couldn't be assed to know what ability score they attack with, what they add proficiency to, God forbid they know their special abilities. And after a single session, I had to run everything on a fucking grid because they couldn't keep track of where they were. I could even give them printed-out blueprints and more artful shit, but they'd need their goddamn grid.

I swear I was running a game for a bunch of housecats in trenchcoats and disguise glasses.
>>
>>53875214
Maybe you should be nicer to your players senpai, right now you sound like a shitty DM
>>
>>53875165
You can still use minis and draw a map, which doesn't have to be accurate at all in this system and can be drawn in literally 5 seconds.

People know where they are, in a general sense, just not down to the detail. They know they're in melee with the bad guys, their exact position is unimportant. They know they're on the platform two moves away from the fight. They know they're behind a cover like a bush, and the orc fighter is one move away from them.

Honestly you really do not need the detail of a grid system, it's just wasting time.
>>
>>53869618
>> A Wizard can
Bards can. Clerics can pray for it. Druids can Shapechange. Warlocks can. If Paladins had a dragon oath, you know their capstone would be a dragon form. Every other spellcaster can.
>>
>>53875109
What if your players want to build around going faster? IE Elk barb, monks in general, this kind of fucks them out of it
>>
>>53875270
Even in grid systems, the extra movement rarely matters though.
You can just say their "double move" gets them three moves away and not two.
>>
>>53875234
I just hate the fucks, to be honest. Work-people, so after attempting three different RPGs with them, I just gave them the hard dicking of Shadow and let their stupidity kill them again and again. And after this week, I'll never see the fuckwits again. Just a fucking nightmare, from the cell phone meme to one excusing himself to take a piss but actually just getting stoned out of his mind. On three separate occasions.

>>53873846
Bruz the Chopper
>>
New thread fellas: >>53875352
>>
>>53875321
>extra movement rarely matters
I use my full 50 feet of movement every turn on my monk
>>
>>53869642
Using Plane Shift for precision teleporting is pushing it. They should be using their Etherealness ability instead.
>>
>>53875388
Then pretty clearly, you would move twice as fast as other people. Two-for-one moves, essentially.
>>
>>53870365
>That's a shame, do they have any plans to make them official?
They were released in UA. Now they've been released for DMSguild brewing. When they released them on DMSguild, they said that the next step is releasing them for AL playtesting. After that, they'll be printed. So yes, they have plans.
>>
>>53873004
Other anon here, I think a good compromise would be to use "recover my original body" as a quest hook.
>Find the Magic Doors of Undo Reincarnation!

Also, letting your players grab the doors and take them outside the dungeon to, say, start a reincarnation lottery business would be fun as fuck.

>>53873245
It's always in the execution, but some things are much easier to fuck up than others. (Edgy nihilists and for-the-lulz types come to mind, but so do overly relatable villains.)

>>53873846
From my PC/NPC ideas and names text file:

Roshar Ulnor, warchief of the Thousand Hands. Wants to unify orc-kind into one glorious empire, even if it takes the death of many.
Kersil Arxion, shaman of the Blood Enclave. Practices human sacrifice and trance, likes to leave an impression.
Emorq the Exiled, an old (from an Orc perspective) outcast who murdered his clan's messiah. He has a lot of stories to tell about the rise and fall of this so-called Dawnbringer.
Sig'un Steeljaw, who is a little bit weird and claims the moon talks to him, but he's a genius at tracking and predicting the weather so whatever.

Pick what you like.
>>
>>53870405
>This isn't something you can really alter with a few gender-pronoun changes.
I really think you could if you put in the slightest effort.
>>
>>53870874
Literally just a barbarian...
>>
>>53875109
That one way to do it, and we sometimes use it for simpler fight - but even then, GM at least draw a sketch to show us. Its really helpful way to unify each player's understanding of situation.

>>53875152
Do whatever you need, but i am afraid looking stuff in dictionary might be take you time. Fluidity of your expression might be more important than your verbosity.
>>
>>53870800
Angry GM has a timekeeping article. If you're into that kind of thing.
>>
>>53871154
>played a half-orc. The party dwarf made a racist joke, she killed him on the spot with a natural 20.
Isn't that just playing to the orcish stereotype?

This is really underappreciated bait.
>>
>>53871548
You can also end Polymorph early if you know about the spell's rules.
>Don't hit the sheep!
>Hit the sheep.
>>
>>53871968
I actually like the insidiousness of this. There's some systems that just make the player obviously decide if they can and do die or not with incentives and tradeoffs. This shit is a natural kind of evil though.
>>
>>53872114
As long as we're blogging, my wife cooks tasty food, and never follows a recipe, but always leaves the kitchen a disaster. Like three bowls, two pans, three pots and a blender to make two plates of chicken dinner. Which uses four other plates before serving. There may also be shredded pieces of a spatula left in the blender.
>>
>>53872177
>4th might be a bit too grounded
I assure you 4th edition Epic play is anything but grounded.
>>
>>53873138
>>53873195
>>53873232
>>53873276
>Faerie Fire and Darkness
First of all, it's correct that Darkness will dispel Faerie if it's cast at level 1 or 2. A Faerie Fire cast at level 3 will still work, but will only illuminate a portion of the Darkness. The rest of Darkness is still impermeable, so you might have to be standing in the area of Faerie Fire's light to see the affected target, in which case neither of you are heavily obscured from each other but you do have advantage from Faerie Fire. If they're close enough to the edge of the Darkness area, the light would shine through. You still wouldn't be obscured from each other in that case.
>>
>>53873850
I break things, disarm people, shove people into fires, kick fools off bridges, and I'm a Dex ranger. There's plenty of things for barbarians to do after "Charge..."
>>
>>53874860
A lot of the effects are stronger than the BM dice effects and the damage is mostly not dependent on the saving throw. The two that are still deal half damage. Using Int is part of its flavor, too.

You could still switch it to Dex or Str if you want though. The extra power of the effects is balanced by the lesser frequency.
>>
>>53874992
>maybe Sharpshooter
I don't hold out hope of seeing the least popular subclass of the 2016/2017 UA rush ever again.
>>
Can you actually restrain people with this shit system or is all you're able to do is push them 5ft per turn while they hit you with a sword?
>>
>>53875482

That's not twice as fast if most people are moving 30.

Also if you don't use a grid, how do you keep track of individual enemies that are spread out? Most fights aren't as simple as "the enemies are 3 moves away" Say there are two enemies, one to the northwest and one to the northeast, both currently 3 moves away from you. You decide to move one move straight east and one move southeast. Now how far away are they?
>>
>>53877529

You can grapple and then restrain, but it takes two attack actions IIRC.
>>
>>53877529
You can shove something 5ft, which doesn't stop them from hitting you with a sword.
You can grapple something, which reduces their movement speed to zero and doesn't stop them from hitting you with a sword.
You can shove something prone, which gives them disadvantage on hitting you with a sword.
Disarming something of their sword is an optional rule in the DMG you have to ask your GM permission to use.
RAW, most of the monsters in the MM aren't proficient in athletics, so you'll at least be able to accomplish the tasks above fairly easily if you spec your character to be good at them.
All of the above options get fucked if your GM arbitrarily decides that every monster has athletics proficiency, which he probably will if he makes his own monsters.
>>
>>53877627
>>53877694
You guys are cool. You make the system sound less shit.
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.