[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm pretty new to mtg, but I really like playing. I play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

So I'm pretty new to mtg, but I really like playing. I play with a black/blue deck, and really enjoy it, but I was wondering...

What's the best color/color combo, and why?

>inb4 Eldrazi
>>
>>53845246
this question is very difficult to answer

basically, anything goes in casual play. you don't need to worry about the best color combo.

In competitive formats the best colors vary. In legacy, blue is uncontested, but can't really stand alone so the most common decks are blue/black or blue/white, and most often splash a 3rd color like red or green.

In modern, it's the same story, black is basically the best color but it can't stand alone so it's most commonly paired with green. Blue and white are generally considered the worst colors in modern but they're fine as splash colors.

In standard, who cares lol

if you've no interest in the competitive side of mtg, literally whatever works, just have fun.
>>
>>53845489
I'm trying to learn as much about the game as possible, and make a really cool deck. Ive made a list of cards I wanna buy to help me out, with planeswalkers, and a few ledgendary creatures

There's a local game store that I want to play at with some regularity, but I dont wanna go in with a shitty deck. Also, my friend has an Eldrazi deck with endless one, Emrakul, Ulamog (ceaseless hunger and infinite gyre) and a kozilik. Ive beat him and his brother (red deck with 2 Chandra), but I always lose when 1 on 1
>>
>>53845621
Casual magic is pretty much incomparable to any sort of sanctioned event, so don't take your experience with your playgroup into consideration. You can either build your own deck, knowing that it's 100% garbage and intend on building into something useful or look up a cheap list online (G/R pummeler has the best value to power ratio of any budget deck). Here's a few mistakes that I notice that new players make.

>putting bad cards in your deck
It's probably a good idea to ask an experienced standard player whether or not a card in your deck is bad. Card evaluation is a learned skill, but a good rule of thumb is to ask yourself "Would I like to draw this off the top of my deck if I'm losing the game?" If not, then you need a very good reason to include it.

>playing too many expensive spells
In a 24 land deck, having 5 lands by turn 5 is seriously unlikely. Good deck's are built on cheap spells, and you really shouldn't include many 3, 4, or 5 drops in your deck.

>playing x's monuments
I don't know why every new player plays one of the shitty Amonkhet monuments, but just don't. None of them are playable.

>caring about budget
It's sad, but there's no way to avoid spending money if you want to have a record better than 0-4. You don't have the collection to build decks off the cards that you own, so don't try. People give away shitty draft chaff for a reason.

Also, be wary of bad advice. Most standard players are shit at magic.
>>
Best for casual is crab tribal for sure.
>>
>>53846379
fuck it, i'm going to do crab tribal with sword equipment theme.

crabs wielding swords, how will anyone be able to overcome them?
>>
Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I'm new to MtG as well as in I literally learned the rules and played for the first time in my life tonight. I want to get a firmer grasp on the interactions and flow of the game and from what I've heard, MtGO is to be avoided and instead play on Cockatrixe or xmage.

Also what's a good format that isn't extremely expensive?
>>
File: GBRockPrimer_zps93e53345.jpg (65KB, 700x200px) Image search: [Google]
GBRockPrimer_zps93e53345.jpg
65KB, 700x200px
It really comes down to the specifics of the format and personal preference, but I've always found black to be generally strong and adaptable and a good base for any deck. Black and green in particular is usually a pretty good combination.
>>
File: 34254322.jpg (90KB, 543x435px) Image search: [Google]
34254322.jpg
90KB, 543x435px
>>53847003
>good format that isn't extremely expensive?
Pauper is the cheapest, but very limited in terms of what you can play with. EDH can vary a lot, but generally is the best in terms of format, value and fun (imo).
You can also just exclusively draft if you like cracking up packs, and creating creative decks. Drafting isn't so expensive, but you only do it in sessions, and never with the same cards you've opened.
I suggest you read up on the different formats if you want a more through explanation of the different formats. (magic wizards com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats)
Modern is expensive, Standard is expensive over time, Legacy is quite expensive, and Vintage is for rich people.
I would suggest starting with kitchen table MTG aka casual MTG (play anything and just have fun).
>>
>>53845246
Strategy is usually more important than colors, though certain colors are usually better suited for certain strategies than others. What the best strategy is, and which colors do it best, depends on the card pool and meta.

Though, some common deck types which show up in nearly every format in some form or another, are blue-based control decks, red-based aggro decks, and green-based midrange decks.
>>
>>53846372
>and you really shouldn't include many 3, 4, or 5 drops in your deck.
I say it depends on who your playing with. I can't really help OP like yourself since I only play free for all with my friends, so having 4, 5, or higher drops are perfectly fine with me. As you said in your first post, anything goes in casual and every group is different.
>>
>>53845246
>>
>>53845246

> best color combo?

Colorless artifacts.
>>
>>53845246
>best color/color combo
That's not quite how magic works (Dispite what people on this board would bitch about)
>>
>>53845246
Just draft or cube with your friends and pick things that look cool.
>>
File: StaxNew 003.jpg (769KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
StaxNew 003.jpg
769KB, 2304x1728px
>>53851593
DESU
>>
File: 43525234.jpg (352KB, 1000x731px) Image search: [Google]
43525234.jpg
352KB, 1000x731px
>>53851593
>>53851798
My niggas
>>
>>53845246
Purple and magenta are pretty strong
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.