[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I a bad DM if I want to design the final BBEG encounter as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: gg.png (40KB, 686x237px) Image search: [Google]
gg.png
40KB, 686x237px
Am I a bad DM if I want to design the final BBEG encounter as <100% winrate even with all player moves mechanically sound? Is it okay to label such game as horror? Would you enjoy it?
>>
if there's one thing I've learned its that no encounter is a guaranteed win when dealing with players and especially not when players are dealing with real enemies.
>>
>BBEG
Ugh.
>>
You're a bad DM for using "BBEG".
>>
>>53838687
As long as it's not a railroad straight to fetishes and game-over-smut.
>>
>>53838718
>Ugh.
Ugh.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwK85GO1LXw
>>
File: 1497448932583.jpg (41KB, 392x469px) Image search: [Google]
1497448932583.jpg
41KB, 392x469px
I shamelessly knocked off the final battle from Undertale once.
It worked pretty well and my players loved it but we were playing a pretty light-hearted adventure game.
With horror it can really only work if it fits the setting.
If you just decide they can win without coming up with a reason for why your players might get a little pissed.
>>
>>53838718
Honest question, what's wrong with that term?
>>
>>53838687

Are you ambivilant about the thought that the PCs aren't 100% guaranteed to win?

Look, if the PCs are guaranteed to win, you aren't playing a game. You're just telling a story and letting them think there's game mechanics.

>>53842232

Ignore him, he's an autist who thinks its cool to protest any common terms.
>>
File: (out).jpg (99KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
(out).jpg
99KB, 640x640px
>>53838718
>been away from the fucking chessboard
>come back months later and you're still shitposting this
>>
>>53842232
>Honest question, what's wrong with that term?
It's just a guy trying to force a meme. He'll be along in a minute to post some pasta about how people have been complaining about the term BBEG for years.
>>
>>53839497
>Ugh.
Ugh.
>>
>>53839497
>Ugh
>>Ugh
Bleeeuuuurgh
>>
>>53842249
>people have been complaining about the term BBEG for years.

He had to come up with that because he kept getting BTFO by people telling him how old the term BBEG was. I was one of them. I still laugh at how easily he was counter-trolled.
>>
>>53838687
Not at all, but I actively attempt to kill PC's with every encounter, so I'm a bit biased.

It also helps if you play with intelligent players that understand the game.
>>
>>53838687
You're only a bad dm if you fail to pull it off well and everyone hates it.
All mechanics and structure are ultimately just a tool for fun and story and in a game of make-believe with no real stakes, it's about the journey as much as the destination.

It's not necessarily horror on its own. It might even be more suited to something like nobledark fighting for what's right even when you know you can't win.
With horror, impossible odds can lead to resignation.
>>
>>53842244
Not OP, but I think he's ambivalent about not giving the win-rate even if the players do the "right" things.

Go, Chess, and checkers are all games, even if they are fully deterministic. The right moves in the right places will win every time.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.