[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 420
Thread images: 53

File: 1492153905348.jpg (151KB, 736x1294px) Image search: [Google]
1492153905348.jpg
151KB, 736x1294px
FULL PLATE edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>53826778

How soon should a martial be able to acquire a set of full plate? How about a set of full plate +1?
>>
>>53834406
That artwork is fucking cool as f.

Is a Dex eldritch knight a good class to take through Curse of Strahd?
>>
Post custom character sheets, the default wotc ones are bad.
>>
>>53834445

It's alright, I actually ran a heavy-crossbow wielding EK through CoS.
>>
>tfw my group only plays once a month for 12 hours
we're level 6 after only 5 months because we've technically played 60 hours worth of stuff. still feels weird.
>>
>>53834457
I like the default ones just fine senpai
>>
>>53834406
Full plate should probably be easy to acquire by level 3-4, magical armor doesn't generally show up in my games until level 8, then +2 at 12, +3 at 16. If they really want to push for better armor or if they kill something with really nice equipment I might give out a higher tier piece earlier.

My group tends to start at higher levels with no budget concerns for mundane equipment. Everyone takes whatever set of gear and mundane stuff they want so all the heavy armor guys are in full plate.
>>
File: file.png (145KB, 1035x918px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
145KB, 1035x918px
>>53834457
Read the OP
>>
>>53834470
I prefer campagins that go slower, it feels more immersive instead of rushing through things
>>
>>53834499
I don't mind being level 6. The DM has said that he doesn't really feel comfortable DMing for PCs under level 5, so I imagine we're probably not going to level for a few months.
>>
Didn't realize the old thread was dying so I'll post this here.
I'm having trouble giving my Wild Magic Sorceress Tiefling a goal, and I'm having trouble fleshing out her background. What I have so far is:
She was found in the wild as an infant by a kind and selfless priest. I need help choosing what deity he worshipped. But anyway, the townsfolk that the priest lived in feared the infant because it was obvious she was a Tiefling, and despite the priest's best efforts, he couldn't stop their prejudice. He raised her in his temple, keeping her safe and away from the fearful townsfolk. She discovered her powers around the age of 18, while the priest was asleep. Unfortunately, a wild magic surge destroyed the temple, killing her adopted father almost instantly. To make matters worse, the townsfolk were awoken and began making their way to the temple to see what had happened. She knew if they found her there, they would no doubt execute her. Though she wanted to mourn her father's death, she couldn't. She took off out the back of the temple, never to return to the village she grew up in.

And that's where I'm stuck. What did she do after, and before meeting the party in Neverwinter for the story of LMoP? What is her goal? What would a chaotic good Tiefling want to work towards? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>>
Does any other GMs find their groups level up much faster after level 5? I find it hard to throw a challenging encounter at my players with giving them 4000+ xp and they are leveling up once a session.

Pre level 5 they leveled up every two sessions. Am I just being retarded?
>>
>>53834575
Yes, because you're not using milestones.
>>
>>53834575
Milestones my dude, xp bean counting is for chumps, levels should occur at plot points where the DM chooses.
>>
>>53834545
My suggestion is: Don't get bogged down in the specifics of your race. Race is important in DnD but not the driving factor behind what your goals and motivations are.

Judging from what you wrote she'd probably have taken some of the values of her adoptive father. Maybe she's religious and performs pilgrimages to shrines and temples of her father's deity, hoping that she might get accepted there. After all, just because you have demon blood doesn't mean you can't be a devout Catholic or whatever.

She might be generally hesitant to trust humans since they never trusted her. Maybe she hangs out with elves or dwarves or something.
>>
File: 1462298075878[1].jpg (25KB, 355x369px) Image search: [Google]
1462298075878[1].jpg
25KB, 355x369px
>>53834600
>DM is using XP with everyone having different amounts depending on if they miss a session or started the game later than someone else
>>
>>53834630
Shucks tbya famiglia
>>
>>53834600
>>53834603

I used milestones in my last campaign and thought I'd give the xp system a try to see how it works. It's fine at lower levels, but after that not so much. I'll probably switch back to milestones then
>>
>>53834630
>level 4 party
>level 1 newbie joins
>A melee Fighter with less health than the Wizard

fucking why
>>
>>53834630
I literally stopped tracking my XP because of this. When I feel like it's time to level up I will put down just enough.
>>
>>53834613
I do like the religious idea, I think Ilmater fits very well too. And my group does have a lot of non-humans, I think we have only one human actually so that works well too. Thank you for the advice.
>>
>>53834660
Because retards think con is a dump stat
>>
>>53834545
>What did she do after, and before meeting the party in Neverwinter for the story of LMoP?
Sounds like she'd be a pretty devout follower of his deity. Maybe she makes an effort to do good deeds in the deity's name to prove she's more than her heritage, attempting to proselytize through righteous action and use her actions to persuade communities to be more tolerant of good-natured folk who happen to have an unfortunate ancestry.
>>
>>53834630
This is fine. Why should people who don't contribute get the rewards? Welfare systems breed entitlement.
>>
>>53834660
He doesn't do it to that extreme. If everyone is level 10, you start at 9; but it still seems dumb
>>
>>53834575
Sounds like you forget to split the xp? Or are you perhaps following DMG p.84 rules?
>>
This is probably a really stupid beginner-level question.

Other than the obvious stuff like the Players Handbook, dice, pens, paper, etc, what are some must-have purchases or downloads for a new player?
>>
>>53834691
I've been using group xp to make things a little easier. As long as everyone is participating then they get the full xp reward for the encounter. Is it better to have the person landing the killing blow getting full xp for a monster and anyone else who assists getting half?
>>
>>53834781
Senpai are you retarded
>>
>>53834760
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

Keep this shit bookmarked for easy reference, it's super useful.
>>
>>53834781
no wtf just divide the total xp evenly among the PCs that took part of the encounter.
>>
>>53834781
Well there's your problem.
>>
>>53834678
Even with 14 CON you'll only start with 12 HP though. A level 4 Wizard with 10 CON will have 15 HP at the least if you're gaining at least half your HD in HP per level.

Point is that a level 1 character has no business fighting CR 4 encounters that deal his max HP in damage twice per round, especially in melee.
>>
>>53834806
>>53834825
>>53834838
Thank you for helping me resolve this issue
>>
>ask players to not have a set in stone character concept before Session Zero
>ask the players what sort of adventures they want out of this campaign, set up a loose framework story based on this (combat-heavy dungeons instead of puzzles and monster evasion, scum-and-villainy style adventuring where most adventurers are basically marginally tolerated outlaws, city scenarios where the PCs are basically doing heists and fighting gangs as mercenaries and/or vigilantes being their highlights on what they want)
>hand out setting notes on homebrew setting, includes restrictions on character options, expansions on others, point out the only page that is required reading (a short bulleted list) and that the rest is just fluff in case they want it
>ask if everyone's okay with the setting, make one or two minor alterations for players with specific objections, confirm updates with other players
>day of the session
>one player has already rolled up his entire character, is dead set on a race we've pruned with a concept that doesn't mesh with the setting, and didn't realize one of his spells is on the blacklist

I've talked to him about this and he's rebuilt with the others. We managed to alter his backstory enough to keep the theme but make it more congruent, but we had to go over the setting a bit and get him to figure out something more fitting on his rebuild. He's a bit salty but whatever.

What I can't ask him is what in God's name motivated him to deliberately pre-build when everyone was asked not to, agree to a theme he didn't pay attention to, claim to read up on the setting he didn't read up on, and then get defensive when it was made clear he didn't follow any of the group's agreed upon procedures?
>>
>>53834875
Dont forget to check out the kobold fight club website! It's a great encounter building tool.
>>
>I don't like unnecessary homebrew because the rules are perfectly functional and many homebrews just complicate things because I already know the system very well
>player wants to play a fairy homebrew that I have no idea where it came from
>he says the rules are too stingey and homebrew is more diverse
Who is the retard here
>>
File: 1465073578466.png (153KB, 593x515px) Image search: [Google]
1465073578466.png
153KB, 593x515px
Does anyone else find trinkets to be a big disappointment?

I thought they were a neat idea at first, but over time, they've really just been a vague loose end that is just ignored.

I think it might be because even the most boring legit magical item is far more interesting than the most interesting trinket.
>>
>>53834962
Him

>>53834964
Isn't that just because trinkets are purely for flavour unless you homebrew something for them?
>>
>>53834962
What kind of fairy? A tiny one or a human sized one?
>>
>>53834997
Tiny
>>
Is the college of swords bard at all worth it in favor of the ek?
>>
>>53834962
I wouldn't argue either of you is the retard, just that you have conflicting views.
>>
>>53834964
Depends on how you play it out I guess. I think it helps if you try to find a reason as to why you're carrying it around and what it means to you.

Right now I'm playing a Barbarian with a tiny mechanical spider that moves around when it's not being observed. I'm making it skitter around frantically whenever the Barbarian's Danger Sense kicks in so that I can call it my spider sense.
>>
>>53834999
>>53834962
The player. Having one PC 6 inches tall while everyone else is 6 feet fucks with everything, from combat to eating at the inn. The whole game and party dynamic have to warp around one player and his tiny character.
>>
>>53834964
They're just for flavour.
>>
File: 1493792665735.jpg (101KB, 816x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1493792665735.jpg
101KB, 816x1600px
>>53835007
No, it takes way too long to come online. Unless your DM loves throwing anti-magic measures at you all the time, just go with Lore Bard. Lore Bard is to Bards what Battlemaster is to non-gishFighters, there's no reason to pick anything else.
>>
>>53834962
That's circumstantial. If its just a homebrew race then take a look at it yourself. If the race doesn't require any other additional material and isn't obviously broken, I'd say let them try it. If it introduces new rules or require knowledge from other homebrew sources then they're asking for more than is fair.
>>
>>53834964
I really want my DM to give me the dead Sprite in a bottle so I can go on a quest to revive her.
>>
>>53835060
It can cast fly on people, at level 1, and can fly itself
>>
>>53834545
I think you've just got to give life to your concept and the direction it will take will come to you in perfect sense.

How did she interact with the townsfolk? Did she interact at all? This might define her world-view and give some perspective on where she sees herself in the world. A good place to start when figuring out a goal.

What was her goal back then? Before the magic surge and end of her sheltered existence. And what even provoked the magic to spark? Did that change her (previous) goal in any way?
>>
>>53834995
>>53835049
That's what makes anything that's more than just flavor eclipse it.
>>
>>53834964
Actually trinkets worked out really well for my Warlock.

He suffers from terrible nightmares after he became a Warlock, and his magically infused nightcap provided him with only good dreams. Boy is he fucked without it.

Don't ever say I don't give you anything, DM.
>>
>>53835112
I have a hard time grasping what your point is.
>>
>>53835085
It being able to fly isn't so bad, based on it's fly speed. But yeah, casting fly on people is not a good racial ability.
>>
Why do warlocks get such a bad rep? I'm playing an Undying Chainlock in my current campaign, and I'm killing most of the enemies and still have spells for utility and overcoming a good deal of obstacles. Not to mention how helpful that familiar is. What's with all the hate?
>>
>>53835134
they aren't wizards
>>
>>53834964
Depends on how you use them. I turned one of my players getting the deed into the focal point of our campaign between more traditional adventures: the castle is a large, haunted ruin that they're working to clear out and rebuild, using their outside adventures to get strong enough to clear new sections and gain resources for reconstruction.
>>
>>53835059
Damn, well that's disappointing. Hopefully Xanathar's can make them less shit.
>>
>>53834964
All of D&D's RP "mechanics" are like that. It's up to you to make it interesting.
>>
>>53835134
They're not as versatile as wizard.
>>
File: Every 5e warlock ever.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Every 5e warlock ever.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>53835134
Because only having 2 spell slots till level 10 sucks ass, especially if you're playing a game with high-risk combat encounters where you'd be stupid not to spend those spell slots on Armor of Agathys and Hex all the time.

Yeah, those slots are short rest... but it's still a pain in the dick having to rest for an hour after every fight or be constantly out of resources. It's not fun for the warlock player, and it's definitely not fun for their party.
>>
>>53835087
The priest kept her sheltered for the most part, he knew they'd treat her badly. But sometimes she'd sneak out. Her interactions were mostly with the children of the village. They thought her horns were cool and they enjoyed playing little games with her. She avoided the adults, sometimes watching from afar but never getting close enough to be noticed. She didn't have much of a goal, she spent most of her time helping the priest with whatever he needed, and reading books he brought to her. That actually just gave me a fantastic idea. She was reading a spellbook, and while playing around and imitating the book, she accidentally casted the spell she was mimicing.
I guess for now her goal is to simply find a place she belongs, which seems to be with the party at the moment. Maybe she's trying to make a name for herself, to show that Tieflings aren't all evil monsters and that they can be good people. I bet she'd like a good old fashioned sacrificial death too, to live up to her worship of Ilmater by killing herself to save others.
>>
>>53835211
But you have eldritch blast and a bunch of other stuff from your invcations, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never played a walrock.
>>
>>53835261
Invocations give you spells that still use slots or utility stuff, so you still only get two big spells per fight. Eldritch blast every turn is fucking boring as hell.
>>
>>53835278
>Eldritch blast every turn is fucking boring as hell
But that's pretty much how a fighter works, they don't get ragged on nearly as much
>>
>>53835211
>2 spell slots
But I get them back after almost every combat when the party rests up and it's never feels like a chore, it feels like a natural tempo. And I took magic initiate, so I get a Hex casting for free every long rest. I've never felt like I didn't have enough slots. It seems like people who complain about warlocks have only speculated about them, and never actually played one.
>>
>>53835306
That's why everyone plays Battlemaster fighters. They actually get to do things

I think part of it is that Warlocks CAN do a lot of stuff, but they can only do a tiny sliver of it at a time and that feeling sucks. You have all these options for spells but they are all trap options since you are always going to be better off casting Hex instead.
>>
File: auto turret.jpg (50KB, 736x721px) Image search: [Google]
auto turret.jpg
50KB, 736x721px
>>53835261
>Invocations
>Shit wizards can do with a level 1 or 2 spell slot
>Shit twizards have enough spell slots to do way more times than they'd ever need to anyway, so the warlock being able to do it infinite times kinda doesn't mean much
>Shit they can never upscale beyond these level 1 and 2 effects when wizards get multiple high level level spells as the game progresses.

I mean, at least you have Eldritch Blast, which IS the most damaging cantrip in the game... but that's only slightly better than playing a Champion Fighter (the one without Combat Manuevers or anything cool) to be honest. You're just a turret doing the same fucking thing every turn.
>>
>>53835337
Maybe you should play wizard then.
>>
File: 1477695609293.jpg (107KB, 644x830px) Image search: [Google]
1477695609293.jpg
107KB, 644x830px
>>53835324
You mean to tell me every time you have a fight your party stops for a full hour so everyone can get their short-rest resources back.

Holy fuck that sounds boring. It sounds like a zubat infested cave in Pokemon, but every time you encounter a Zubat you don't get to move again until you've stared at the screen for 10 minutes first.
>>
>>53835324
Warlocks are the only class that wants to take a short rest, and 90% of the time if you can take a short rest you could take a long rest instead and everyone else in the party is going to want the long one.

So you end up being a shittier wizard with a good cantrip. I've played Warlocks, I like Warlocks, I love their flavor and their weird invocation options. Warlock is not very well balanced with the rest of the classes and has some systemic problems, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, but wotc should probably do a revised warlock at some point.
>>
File: yeah.png (16KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
yeah.png
16KB, 120x120px
>>53835358
This is literally what I (and almost everyone else) does after playing a warlock for the first time.
>>
File: IMG_0076.jpg (181KB, 668x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0076.jpg
181KB, 668x900px
Situation that came up at the table that people are still arguing about in our group discord;

>Raging barbarian runs towards enemy that is, just barely, out of his range
>Hasn't attacked or taken damage this turn
>Bard shoots the barbarian in the back with an arrow so he can continue raging into the next round

Is this "taking advantage of the tactics offered by the system," or just "metagaming?"
>>
File: 1497097626661.jpg (267KB, 1280x752px) Image search: [Google]
1497097626661.jpg
267KB, 1280x752px
So warlocks get eldritch blast as a back up, a few high level damage spells to flash here and there, and invocations and a bunch of mid-level spells providing utility. They seem really well rounded, and it seems like the only real issue is when people want to play them like a wizard variation. Also, all the complaint about short rests seem weird. I've never played in a party that found short-rests tedious because you can just say "We're going to tend to our wounds for an hour and start moving again".

Warlocks are fun, and honestly I prefer them to wizards. I use High CHA waaaaaaaay more than High INT.
>>
>>53835211
>>53835278
I've considered giving Warlocks a second pool once they hit 3rd level, but the second pool can only be used to cast 1st level spells. Once they hit level 7 they can cast those spells like they were in 2nd-level slots, and at level 14 they can cast them like they were in 3rd-level slots.

I'm also thinking they can expend one of their Mystic Arcanum slots to replenish one of their spell pools instantly instead of resting to do so.
>>
>>53835408
>We're going to tend to our wounds for an hour and start moving again
>roll on the roaming monster table
>>
File: waterwalk.png (119KB, 237x512px) Image search: [Google]
waterwalk.png
119KB, 237x512px
>>53835408
>Invocations
>Mid level

You're really pushing it. And in terms of utility, what the warlock offers is inferior to druids, clerics, bards, wizard... just about everyone except sorcerers to be honest.

Warlocks the worst casters in the game because they're built around short rests, but their short rest resource pool burns the fuck out the first time you need to do ANYTHING, while the other casters can go all day and have resources to spare usually.
>>
/5eg/
>If you're not playing a wizard, you're not having fun right
>>
>>53835443
Welcome to dungeons and dragons.
>>
>>53835392
It's bad behaviour, I'd call it metagaming since the characters don't view the world in game terms.
>>
>>53835408
>>53835420
>We tend our wonds for an hour and move on.

This is great until you're still in the third or fourth room of a dungeon and realize you've wasted half the day already because each room had a combat encounter.
>>
>>53835443
>tfw having fun playing a monk
>>
>>53835392
As DM, I'd only allow that if it was roleplayed well.
>>
>>53835462
Doesn't even have to be a combat encounter. Just an encounter that uses a spell slot.

I don't even hate the idea of a short-rest caster, but to parrot what other anons have said, 2 spell slots for half their existence is just way too few. You use even a single spell in a non-combat encounter and half of your resource pool is already gone.
>>
>>53834457
I did this one because I always end up with atleast 8 weapons and cant keep track of them.
>>
>>53835337
Isn't Champion the one that gets Regen somewhere waaaayyyy down the line?

I really like Regen so if I ever played 5e I was sorta tempted by it.
>>
>>53835392
What your barbarian should have done was throw something at the enemy because he was so pissed. Even if he's wielding a 2H weapon he can hold it with one hand for a few moments since he's not attacking with it.
>>
>>53835462
It sounds like our groups just have different play styles. We plan on spending at least a week in most dungeons, and most of the rooms have riddles or obstacles that don't deal with combat. Repetitive combat is way more tedious that short rests.
>>
File: psionics.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
psionics.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>53835443
>Change that to Psionic. Wizards aren't the overpowered bullshit class anymore. At least until mid-high level. Before that, bullshit psychic anime characters are the go-to class for weeaboos and That Guys.

Sorry, guess they're called "Mystics", not "Psionics"... even though they're literally just Dark Sun psionics that don't belong in any fucking setting except Dark Sun.
>>
>>53835513
Every barbarian should have a couple javelins strapped to his back for this very situation
>>
>>53835392
The Barbarian could've just punched themself in their blind rage. 1 damage and still pissed.
>>
>>53835392
Answer the following with a yes or no. Don't answer ME, I don't give a damn, answer yourself.

>Is the Barbarian's rage an effect in-setting which can be clearly distinguished from him just being really angry? Does he give off some supernatural aura, change his appearance, actively show partial regeneration from injuries inflicted during rage, or something else that can be clearly defined as more than 'big guy is pissed'?
>Has the Bard (or someone the bard is in communication with) studied and experimented with the means that trigger this effect and turn it off, determining that the rage effect terminates when a given time frame passes where he neither attacks nor is attacked?
>Does the Bard actively track the Barbarian's rages and actions in-rage specifically to help sustain it, having done the prior two stages to identify and quantify the nature of the Barbarian's rage?

If you can answer yes to all three, you are being a clever player. If you cannot, you are metagaming.
>>
>>53835538
What is the maximum number of javelins one can have on their back?
>>
What do you think about Curse of Strahd module? It looks cool to me, but there is ton of reading required, and those stupid lengthy room descriptions.
>>
File: 1451287558153.jpg (450KB, 768x1090px) Image search: [Google]
1451287558153.jpg
450KB, 768x1090px
>>53835505
Yeah, although there a Mystic class that gets it way sooner if your DM allows UA content.

And yeah, even though you get regeneration, Champion is literally the "tutorial class" in a sense. All it can really do is basic attack every turn. No combat manuevers, no magic, no real resource pool except for action surges. It's feels like it's there for the player who doesn't know the rules yet and just wants to hit stuff without worrying about tracking abilities.
>>
>>53835564
I'd say four is the reasonable amount, but if you are a Bearbarian you can carry a lot more than that.
>>
>>53835564
Depends on your strength score.

With 20 Str, it's 60.
>>
>>53835564
just put them inside a bag of holding.
>>
>>53835578
That's unfortunate, I love light regeneration.
>>
>>53835630
>Barbarian carries around 60 javelins
>He's now literally a raging faggot
>>
>>53835214
It's interesting that you stated that she left her ruined home out of self-preservation (leave or die), which gives meaning to her goal of finding a place to fit in, as her father would have no doubt wanted her to do.

May I suggest an alternative?

As you've mentioned she has had contact with some children, which means she does have a connection to her hometown. "Friends" even, in the sense of a young recluse child seeing any non-hostile contact as friendly. And isn't making friends with those that would call you monster a way of proving them wrong?

I have no doubt that she was wracked with shock and horror at the death of her adopted father, but what about the sudden realization that the people she was getting close to have been right in calling her an abomination all along. If not for her Heritage, then for her Patricide.
No matter the accidental nature of it all, she could be carrying the guilt of always doubting if she was truly responsible for the death of her only caregiver.
Maybe she's not just after a place to belong.
Maybe she's trying to prove herself wrong.
She probably doesn't abide to judging a person by their ancestor, but by their actions they can be.

She might think tieflings are bad, but she just might hate herself a little bit.
>>
>>53835630
nigga how you gonna roll up with a fucking hay bale of javelins stapped to your fucking back?

how you even vertical with that shit?

I don't care how fucking strong you are your center of gravity gonna be way the fuck back there, gonna bend double just to stay on your fucking feet
>>
>>53835649
But then it takes an action to get out, isn't there a quiver of hold ing in the DMG
>>
>>53835538
It's better to just have knives. You can never have too many knives
>>
File: 1340433133399.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1340433133399.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
>>53835443
Okay this, but completely unironically.

At least when it comes to the arcane spellcasters. All these different classes are supposed to have a niche they're filling, mechanically. Sorcerer, Wizard, and Warlock are all thematically different classes, but at the end of the day the role they're filling is "character who casts arcane magic." A Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer are all going to be performing what is essentially the same role in their party. They cast the arcane spells.

If one of the classes (wizard) performs the duty of arcane spellcaster better in an objective sense than the other two classes, doesn't not picking them seem like you'd be doing a disservice to the rest of your playgroup?
>>
>>53835649
>Bag of holding Atlatl
>>
>>53835674
why would casting magic all one role? Is magic incapable of differentiation? Or are all parties just "magic guy" and "fighty guy"?
>>
>>53835710
There's also "talky guy" and "sneaky guy"
>>
>>53835667
My DM was perfectly fine with my dwarf carrying around a pike,maul, multiple javelins and a ladder wherever he went, I don't see the problem.

(He's a criminal so he needs the ladder to get into places)
>>
File: Dissapointment sets in.gif (1MB, 478x360px) Image search: [Google]
Dissapointment sets in.gif
1MB, 478x360px
>>53835710
Healy/Support magic: Clerics/Druids
Debuff/Control Magic: Bards
Blasty Magic: Sorcerers
Utility Magic/Batman Caster: Wizards

Warlocks: Uhhh... cantrip guy... I guess? Like yeah, they're good at it, but being good at the basics kinda sucks if you never evolve beyond the basics in a meaningful way.
>>
>>53835710
There's magic man, fighting guy, silent dude and that faggot that brings an instrument to the session.
>>
How would you fix Warlock, then, /tg/? Just give them an extra spell slot or two?
>>
>>53835663
I think I understand what you mean. Maybe at some point she'll go back to her old village and try to make amends there once she stops hating herself. Thank you, I appreciate the help.
>>
File: DwarfRogue2.jpg (118KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
DwarfRogue2.jpg
118KB, 620x877px
>>53835746
>he doesn't use a grappling hook
>laught rogues.mp3
>>
>>53835758
Warlock is the actual blasty magic guy. Sorcerer is just a handicapped batman caster
>>
>>53835790
He also has one of those just in case, but why risk the chance of failure and plummeting to your death?
>>
>>53834245

You give up Extra Attack because you're using your Action to initiate the jump and then again to do your special attack when you land.
>>
File: Brain Broke.gif (704KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Brain Broke.gif
704KB, 500x375px
>>53835805
Sorcerer's blasty list is the least gimped part of their nerfed wizard spell list, and meta-magic and bloodline traits make them more effective at using these than most wizard archetypes.

Warlocks have... Eldritch Blast.

Yeah, no sorry, warlocks aren't better blasters unless you're fighting single-targets, and even then they still probably fall behind a sorcerer who has points to fuel their meta-magic.
>>
>>53835784
Take all the invocations that let them cast a spell using warlock spell slots once per long rest, and make it not cost a spell slot.

So if you drop all your invocations getting more spell you actually *gasp* GET MORE SPELLS.

Also make the pacts a little more impactful. Half the pact blade invocations should just be part of the pact feature, pact of the chain should either improve your familiar over time or give you better familiars later. Book is already solid.
>>
>>53835674
Warlocks are just an arcane caster.
>High CHA, spells, and specialized invocations make for a good face
>Highest damage cantrip at your disposal
>Loads of Illusions, and various utility invocations that you can pull out whenever you need them.
>Several Utility and Damage spells that you can use whenever you feel.
>Not having to worry about rationing spells for the full adventuring day
Sure you don't have the utility toolbox of the wizard, but you're not specialized for utility. Even so, you still get a solid amount of utility that you can be creative with. I've played a warlock with a wizard in the party before and never felt out-shined, we just focused on different areas.
>>
>>53835392

I don't know why charging towards the object of your rage doesn't continue the rage-- omitting that seems like an oversight, and adds interesting ways to "kite" a PC Barb who wants to maintain rage.
>>
>>53835674
This is why spellcasting classes need more niche spell lists with fewer spells known by any one mage. In this way the wizard could have access to the broadest range of spells, but not have access to the most powerful or thematically critical ones. This would make them an ideal "jack of all trades" class, without overshadowing the others.
>>
How does "tongues" work? If im speaking in tongues to an orc, do they magically understand the garbaled nonsense im saying? Or do they hear orcish?

Can you fool someone into thinking you are a "native" using this spell?
>>
>>53835813
>just say they can cast any spell they know infinite times
How about no. You'd have to nerf the spell list so hard that the class would be useless past 5th level, but still massively overpowered at 1st level.
>>
>>53835784
Play the 4e version
>>
>>53835758
>Warlocks: Blasty Magic, Sneaky Guy, Charming Guy, Utility Magic Light
>>
>>53835784
Get rid of spell slots and have the arcanum feature start at level 1. You get one spell for each spell level as you level up and you get infinite use utility spells through invocations
>>
File: Broo.jpg (149KB, 639x348px) Image search: [Google]
Broo.jpg
149KB, 639x348px
>>53835324
>his party stops for an entire gosh darn hour every time they get in a fight no matter where they are or what's going on
how the game was meant to be played desu, it's no wonder you haven't been having any problems
>>
File: 1485435307243.jpg (208KB, 600x907px) Image search: [Google]
1485435307243.jpg
208KB, 600x907px
>>53835784
Step 1: Nerf wizards so they can't do fucking EVERYTHING
Step 2: Make Warlocks the caster that specializes in Necromancy, Summoning, and Curses, the kinds of dark magic you usually associate with demon worshippers.
Step 3: Make them a long-rest full-caster with resources to match, like every other caster in the game. Short-rest abilities should just stay a martial thing DESU.
>>
>Give Warlock Spell Points that recharge on short rest
Bam, instant utility buff. Casting Mage Armor and Hex won't burn all your slots, but you can still only sling 2 Fireballs per rest at level 5.
>>
>>53835784
Get rid of having limited castings per day, give all bladelocks medium armor proficiency and at the appropriate level gain extra attack at 5th level without having to waste an invocation on it (make Thirsting Blade give you a third attack, make it require at least 12th level instead of 5th), and let eldritch blast be transferred through a melee attack instead of being shot if the warlock chooses to cast it in that manner.
>>
>>53835951
Actually the game was meant to be played with around 1 long rest and 2 short rests per day, according to the DMG.
>>
>>53835784
Change short rests to be five minutes. It fixes Battlemaster at the same time.
>>
>>53835970
But they don't just associate with demons
>>
How to deal with nitpicking players ?

I'm just trying to run classic dungeon crawls with over the top bbeg villains like dragons. I'm not George RR Martin or Tolkein and yet I get this nitpicky shit all the time and it's driving me mad and makes me not want to bother designing or playing anymore.

>It doesn't make sense this monsters here ( even though if they investigated it would make sense )

>why would the NPC do that

>Why do all your NPC's sound the same ( I'm not a professional voice actor dipshit , stop watching critical roll)

>There wouldn't be a cliff in an open plain

>How can this river be running uphill since you described us as going downhill.

>you're using this word too much
in your descriptions *texts list of synonyms*

>Why do you keep critting me ( because dice are random fuckwit)

Arghh I'm at the end of my tether.
>>
>>53835784
Make sorcerer MCing mandatory. Bam, istant fix to both classes
>>
File: least rare pepe.png (121KB, 538x396px) Image search: [Google]
least rare pepe.png
121KB, 538x396px
>>53835996
if you're supposed to have 2 short rests per day specifically for the classes to be balanced why not just triple short rests resources and make them long rest dependent
>>
>>53836026
Multiclassing is cancer, especially with charisma-based classes. Honestly it's a mechanic that should just be removed from the game. Most of the game-breaking builds in the game are the result of multi-classing.
>>
>>53836022
Tell him to shut the fuck up out right, offer him a chance to "do better" and watch him fail miserably at being the GM and embarrass himself, or kick him out of the group
>>
File: bad.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>>53836058
Don't ask me, I'm not the one making the terrible design decisions.
>>
>>53836022
>It doesn't make sense this monsters here ( even though if they investigated it would make sense )
Tell them they should investigate more

>why would the NPC do that
Tell them to use insight more

>Why do all your NPC's sound the same
Tell them to shut up

>There wouldn't be a cliff in an open plain
Tell them to shut up

>How can this river be running uphill since you described us as going downhill.
This is confusing

>you're using this word too much
This is actually good criticism, use more synonyms

>Why do you keep critting me
Roll in the open
>>
>>53836022
Leave.

Its never worth building a campaign for no fun allowed PCs
>>
>>53836062
But muh sacred cows
>>
File: ArchetypesPaladinandRanger.pdf (86KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ArchetypesPaladinandRanger.pdf
86KB, 1x1px
I've been working on a bunch of homebrew archetypes for 5e off and on for a while and I finally have something for the ranger. Anyone willing to take a look at it? In particular I'm unsure about Trick Roper and From the Hip but seeing as this is a rough draft it's all up in the air.

I've sorta outlined some of the problems I've had at the end.

Also it's packaged with my paladin archetype.
I'm not really looking for input on that right at this moment, though I wouldn't say no to it.
>>
>>53836062
I would never put any levels into Fighter if I wasn't allowed to multiclass out into things that weren't mediocre.
>>
>>53835392
Just fucking throw something at the enemy jesus christ
>>
Hello 5e babs, enjoying your game with no complexity, no depth or customization? Haha. The difference between PF and 5e is like broodwar vs candycrush.
>>
Making a character and my DM allows any playable race up to Volo's.

Any suggestions for an Ancients paladin? Mechanically or thematically.
>>
>>53836342
Did someone get kicked out of the /pfg/ furry yiff orgy? Please don't bring your edition aids here
>>
File: 1496222008411.jpg (67KB, 849x669px) Image search: [Google]
1496222008411.jpg
67KB, 849x669px
>>53836342
>tfw allow everybody a highly customizable feat as they wish
>Non-viable playstyles become viable, otherwise impossible character concepts become possible, anyone who picks trap options gets to actually get something out of their trap options and while you don't seek to make someone who has entirely nerfed themself as powerful as everyone else, everything becomes more balanced and everybody gets to play the character they want

>Oh or you could play pathfinder and have a billion trap options for your character that your DM will just laugh at
>>
>>53835758
I kinda saw warlocks as closer to rogues, weird as that sounds. With spellcasting to supplement.

I mean a lot of invocations give skills or utility abilities (Beguiling Influence, Devil's Sight, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, Gaze of Two Minds, One with Shadows, Voice of the Chain Master, Witch Sight) and a lot of the invocations that grant spells give more utility-focused spells (Ascendant Step, Beast Speech, Book of Ancient Secrets, Eldritch Sight, Mask of Many Faces, Master of Myriad Form kinda, Misty Visions, Otherworldly Leap, Sculptor of Flesh, Visions of Distant Realms, Whispers of the Grave). Plus bonuses to damage the same way the rogue gets Sneak Attack.

Now, how well it actually accomplishes this is still plenty debatable. I just find thinking about the warlock in terms of utility more helpful than comparing it to full-casters.
>>
>>53836342
How are you liking the game where "customization" means taking five feats you don't want for the one you do or wasting valuable skill ranks for flavor, and "depth" and "complexity" are in ways that actively preclude roleplaying, lateral thinking, or doing anything not specifically listed as an ability on your character sheet?
>>
>>53836502
Shhh, you will upset the white room combat theorists
>>
>>53834690
That's honestly acceptable.
>>
>>53836414
Not to mention
>trap options in 5e = you won't deal quite as much damage or have quite as much utility as you would otherwise
>trap options in PF = you are functionally a tumor on your party if they lucked into smarter choices
>>
What's /tg/'s thoughts on the Druid circles, including the UA ones? Unsure what path to take my druid down. Probably not Moon or Twilight as we have many front line fighters and a necromancer. Also we have a Paladin so I don't know if we need a super healbot. Thoughts?
>>
Soooo...how do you accomplish CUHRAZY! SSS! in this system?
>>
>>53836502
A lot of the utilities provided by warlocks can already be used by wizards, though.
Disguise self at will? The wizard can cast disguise self more than often enough, as a spell prepared rather than an entire invocation.
Sure, you can spam disguise self if it's at-will, but how often do you need it really? It lasts an hour, and a wizard has 4 level 1 slots, with arcane recovery to get those slots back again if needed. That's four disguises and then some, or four hours at most. Considering you're not going to use a disguise every single day, you can then conserve spell slots the times you're not disguising.
So you'd have to really be a 'Nobody can know what I am, not even my own party!' sort of guy to get the most of it. And I could go on for almost all of the invocations.
There are some oddballs like devil's sight which even a wizard can't match., but in the end the warlock is basically a wizard except less versatile but can do the things more often than the wizard. So 'stronger but less versatile' wizard?
>>
>>53836206
No one? I'll just post the most troublesome features here if you don't want to open the PDF.

Trick Roper
Starting at 3rd level, you gain the following benefits when using a net.
>Your attack rolls do not suffer disadvantage for being made within 5 feet of a hostile creature.
>The net’s range for you is 15/45, and it gains the Light property. You can gain the benefit of the Dueling fighting style even while carrying a net in one hand.
>The Strength DC required to escape your net is equal to 8 + your Wisdom modifier + your proficiency bonus, and the net’s hit points are equal to 10 + your ranger level.
>You can use your choice of Strength or Dexterity to make an attack roll with a net.
>You ignore the net’s restriction of making only one attack during a turn, if you have a means of making more than one attack in a turn.
You can also use 50 feet of rope to create a lasso. A lasso functions as a net, including gaining the benefits listed above. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move a lassoed creature that is your size category or smaller (if you are mounted, use the size category of your mount or vehicle) to any point within 15 feet of you or force it to move a distance up to your speed.
If you attempt to move a creature into something which would directly damage it, the creature can make a DC15 Strength saving throw to stop itself just before the danger. If you drag a creature a distance greater than its speed, it must succeed on a DC15 Strength saving throw or fall prone.
Furthermore, you become an expert on ropes and knots. You can easily tie or untie any knot you have tied or untied at least once before as a bonus action, however complex it is.

From the Hip
At 11th level, you become adept at pressing an edge in combat. When you have advantage on an attack roll against a target, you can choose to instead make two separate attack rolls against the same target without advantage.

Some of the problems should be obvious already.
>>
>>53836602
Moon druid is a stupid 'I'll never die' bag of HP that can be used twice every short rest
It should never have existed
>>
>>53836612
Bladesinger?
>>
>>53836026
That makes sorcerers worse though.
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 640x456px
So, how good is Fast Hands?

I'm looking at Thief but am having a hard time deciding what Rogue archetype my Bow Ranger MCs into, Mastermind seems genuinely decent as well as I play in a group that sometimes has 2 or 3 other rogues and the Help thing would be useful, not sure about Arcane Trickster as I'm only 10 INT and it doesn't fit the theme of my guy as well besides using illusions to infiltrate.
>>
>>53836645
Forgot to mention I also have Goodberry on this Ranger so Thief could stabilise dying friends well
>>
>>53836645
Arcane trickster can use objects as a bonus action as well, so actually it's just a slightly more versatile version of someone arcane trickster gets as a side bonus to everything else.

Generally, fast hands is great if your DM enables you with all sorts of interesting items. Thief is a 'using items' class, but it seriously requires DM cooperation to get you those items.
>>
>>53836636
It does seem like one of the more broken options in the game short of multiclassing abuse. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the other circles.
>>
>>53834457
>>
So wait, are we getting just that UA or more? It's been almost two weeks.
>>
>>53836612
Fighter 2 (Close Quarters Shooter style, as it applies to EB)/Warlock 2 (Hexblade)/ Sorcerer X.
Refluff EB as an energy sword with Moonlight Greatsword energy waves.

Curse your target and Hex them, ideally while posing and shittalking.
Then unleash your fucking fury
>Quickened EB
>EB
>Action Surge EB
>12 attacks each doing 1d10+5 plus Hex and Hexblade Curse damage and critting on a 19
>>
>>53831579
Thanks for all this.

I reduced the extra spell points to 1/2 Sorc Level rounded down. Evens out the curve while still giving them a little extra to play with their new metamagics.

I'll work on an extended spell-list for them now that I'm awake.

As for formatting... I don't know. This site seems to cock it up every time I make any sort of change to it. The preview shows the table should fit fine beneath cantrips, but in the PDF itself the formatting gets all fucked.
>>
>>53836620
Well, I mean, that would eat up 1st-level slots the wizard could use elsewhere, like for Shield or Mage Armor or Grease. If you need to stay disguised for a whole day (which is pretty reasonable if you're gonna be disguised at all) you'd have to start dipping into higher-level slots.

If I were to complain about utility-focused invocations it would be less about "wizards can do it too" and more that the Eldritch Blast-altering ones (or Extra Attack/Lifedrinker) are borderline invocation taxes and you gain new invocation slowly, so you don't really get to pick up all the invocations it would take to make the warlock a good ersatz skill monkey.

>>53835784
So I guess to fix the warlock I'd bake the EB upgrades right into the class itself.
>>
>>53836696
I didn't know that about Mage Hand, gives me more to think about.

Yeah, our DM really rewards creativity with items so it'll probably be between AT and Thief then, ty.
>>
>>53835746
>he needs the ladder to get into places
Like the top shelf in the kitchen?
>>
>If you need to stay disguised for a whole day (which is pretty reasonable if you're gonna be disguised at all) you'd have to start dipping into higher-level slots.
The only usual time you'd need to stay disguised for an entire day is if you're doing some weird social thing rather than normal combat encounters and you would then have the freedom to use all your spell slots for disguise self.
Not to mention, 'using those level 1 spell slots elsewhere' is a good point - the wizard has the spell slots to do the same as the warlock if they want, OR use it elsewhere. Sure, it cuts into their resources, but these are resources that warlocks don't even get while the warlock has 2 level 3 or 4 or 5 spellslots.

I'd say the thing is with the taxes is that they're not really taxes, but things that makes warlock worthwhile. Mask of many faces? Wizard can do that. Cantrips with +cha added? Wizard can only sometimes do that (evocation). Cantrips that push enemies 10ft on hit and hit multiple times? Wizard can't do that anywhere near as conveniently. Seeing through magical darkness? Wizard can't do that without that one truesight ability. Book of ancient secrets is just trying to emulate wizard and make up for utility loss.

So the invocations that aren't 'taxes' should be buffed so they aren't just something a wizard can easily emulate with a few level 1 spell slots every couple of days on a day they don't fight anyway.
>>
>>53836762
>refluff EB as a sword
Opinion discarded
>>
>>53836897
He asked how to be Donte da Demon Killa and I responded.

Surely you arent a gun spamming shitter are you?
>>
>>53836733
Back to the once a month release schedule negro
>>
File: IMG_1393.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1393.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>53836566
They are so easily outwitted

pocket sand
>>
>the mega link doesn't include the players handbook or monster manual

For what purpose.
>>
>>53836022
>Why do all your NPC's sound the same ( I'm not a professional voice actor dipshit , stop watching critical roll)

While I agree that not everyone is a professional voice actor(even the characters on CR occasionally seem to use their real voices) things like the occasional questionable English, Scottish, German, or Russian-ish Eastern European, accent can be fun to attempt just to mix things up.

Hell, my own Dwarf tries for the stereotypical Scottish but often wings up sliding into something that sounds more Irish.
>>
>>53837006
I don't believe you
>>
>>53836893
>I'd say the thing is with the taxes is that they're not really taxes, but things that makes warlock worthwhile.
That's what "tax" means. You essentially have to take them.
>>
>>53837036
Yeah, but they're only a tax because the other stuff isn't good enough, not because it's too good, I suppose.

Like with feats on a martial.
>>
>>53837023
Oddly enough there are some accents that seem to get ignored in these European style fantasy settings.

I don't think I've ever heard any of the local DMs or players using French, Italian, or Spanish accents for example.
>>
>>53837199
>TFW french accents are one of the easiest for me to do despite knowing no actual French.
>>
>>53834534
>>53834545
Sounds like he would be of a merciful faith. Morninglord is the most obvious choice. Eldrath and Helm are also fine. You could also go for a knowledge diety such as Oghma, Selune, or Mystra since he tried to educate the townspeople out of ignorance.
>>
How would you feel about a player Cleric bringing their own God for their PC rather than picking from an existing one?

In this case it's meant to be a nearly completely forgotten ancient god with only one living Cleric still, where their goal is to get their god back on their feet via erecting shrines as the adventure goes.

I'd rather not step on toes if making your own god up is too "speshul snowflake".
>>
>>53834406
Alright guys
I'm trying to create a magical object for my campaign and I like some help
It's a set of 10 bracelets and each have a different color, representing an element or an energy type, example red for fire
Each have 1 charge for a total of 10 charge that can be spend to either add 1d10 damage or use your reaction to resist incoming damage, depending of the color of the used bracelet
I want some input about the color/energy association
For now it's :
Red/fire
White/cold
Orange/acid
Green/poison
Blue/lightning
Black/necro
I have some doubt about the next one :
Yellow/radiant
Grey/psychic
Translucid/force
Purple/thunder

Also what can be add/change about the concept? Is it to weak?
>>
>>53836612
You can't even punch a guy to the athmosphere, jump and then suplex the fucker back to the Earth's core.
>>
>>53837392
I might suggest purple for Psychic and grey for Thunder.

Grey skies are associated with thunderstorms and purple is Psychic in Pokemon so that's how it sticks in my head
>>
>>53837336
>I'd rather not step on toes if making your own god up is too "speshul snowflake".
I mean, it can be, but give your player the benefit of the doubt. Their character concept sounds good.

Typically in the cases where adding your own god is a bad thing, it's just one piece of garnish on top of a character with many much bigger flaws. E.g.

>Drake Bloodsword. Total badass who hates people and he's always brooding. Worships Super-Devil because he's so dark and intense that even the other evil gods can't handle him.
>>
>Can't decide on a setting for a game
>Could just run spelljammer and use whatever settings I want
>>
File: 74.jpg (93KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
74.jpg
93KB, 900x636px
Opinions on the monk of tranquility? I'm about to begin playing one at level 8 and it looks super useful. Am I making a mistake?
>>
>>53837420
My reasoning for grey/psychic was the grey matter of the brain but your suggestion make sense too
I also think purple could go well with force, since I associate raw magical power with purple
>>
>>53836347
Triton Noble
>>
>>53834890
nice blog post senpai
>>
File: Sorcerer Revised v2.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer Revised v2.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
Alright, Sorcerer Revised v2, now with an actual spell list.

I kept the base Sorcerer spell list, but tried to add a few things from the Wizard list that felt flavorful without stepping on the Wizard's toes too hard. I believe I left most of the Wizard's exclusive spells exclusive, but there's definitely a portion that are shared with Sorc in this revision.

I also toned down the extra spell points a little, while still curving it up a little more than the DMG originally states.

Also, the formatting is still just a little bit fucked, but it's fine.
>>
>>53836855
Well yeah, he's pretty short even for a dwarf.

Can't really use a grappling hook in the kitchen.
>>
>>53837336
If I was DMing, I'd want to know more about the god. What the teachings of the religion are, why it has been mostly forgotten, why it is looking for more followers, etc.

I'd also check with the other players and make sure that escorting a street corner preacher trying to spread the word of a forgotten god is something they're ok with.

As long as there is a interesting concept there to work with, and the party is ok with it, I wouldn't have any objections.
>>
>>53837416
No but you can get pretty close.

>Mystic with Magic Initiate
>Turn 1- cast Jump and Leap of Faith, have your focus on the one that gives advantage on Athletics
>Turn 2- Mighty Leap (×3 from Jump spell) to super animu dash into Grapple (with Advantage) range
>Turn 3-begin the SUPER SUPLEX- Jump straight up with Mighty Leap (multiplied by the Jump spell)- you can go 420 feet straight up- use your Bonus Action to change to Mastery of Air focus and ignore fall damage
>Turn 4- you are now freefalling straight at the ground. Just before impact, do an Unarmed Strike with Knock Back (7 PSI)
>impact the ground, dealing 20d6 fall damage+7d6 Knock Back damage+Unarmed Strike damage
>Walk out of the dust cloud triumphantly and say something smug
>>
File: 1495288278578.jpg (200KB, 900x822px) Image search: [Google]
1495288278578.jpg
200KB, 900x822px
>>53837577
Isn't your jump distance handicapped by your movement speed
>>
>>53837473
Ooh. I had forests in mind, but this could be interesting too. I think we're starting in a harbour town.
>>
>>53837630
I can only assume Mighty Leap ignores that as It's otherwise literally pointless.

But with the retarded way they've been handling rulings on jumping it could very well be like that.
>>
Is there any Ranger spells/abilities that require a bow or will I be fine using a heavy crossbow and CBE?
>>
>>53837806
Pretty sure they all just specify a ranged weapon and ammunition, so you could theoreticslly even make it work with a sling.
>>
>>53837577
>x3
You can never pass your speed in jump distance.
>>53837654
It doesn't, your jump distance is your speed, period.
>>
>Fellow party members frying things with magic left and right.
>One even specs for spell sniping so he doesn't have to be in the same state with his target.
>"Woah, lolz duder that's so cool!"
>My build finally comes together.
>Halfling battlemaster, high dex and now with the sharp shooter feat.
>Kill five kobolds in one turn.
>"Anon, wtf that's too OP."

Just fucking kill me.
>>
>>53837880
>You can never pass your speed in jump distance
Citation fucking needed
>>
File: jumping.jpg (115KB, 511x833px) Image search: [Google]
jumping.jpg
115KB, 511x833px
>>53837975
>>
>>53834686
My 5e dm does milestones so everyone levels together, but I run an only war game and I absolutely refuse to reward players that miss sessions. When every shot aimed at you runs the risk of blowing your head off, the guy that shows up and fights is getting exp and loot, while the guy that was asleep in the car isn't.

5e though is so low risk that it's virtually impossible to die and if you do a level 3 npc can just rez you for 10gp. I don't see any issue just keeping everyone at the same exp/level.
>>
I'm still new to the game and I'm wondering

>Dying PC has been stabilized
>Still 0HP
>No longer in risk of dying through death saving throw failure
Can the player still make death saving throws to recover 1 HP? Or are stable PCs unable to heal, for some reason?
>>
>>53837996
> a level 3 npc can just rez you for 10gp
Even revivify is third level, costs 300gp in materials, and can only resurrect people who've been dead for up to a minute
>>
What would be a decent magic item to give a level 9 lore bard?
>>
>>53837880
Ok.
>Pick Tabaxi
>Grab Celerity
>The turn you jump do a 1 pt Celerity and Cat Turbo, giving you a movespeed of 50×2 from Cat Turbo, take the Dash action for 200 movement since Mighty Leap is done as part of movement, do a 4 pt Mighty Leap, go 200 ft straight up (the highest there's any reason to since fall damage caps at 20d6)
Your move mr. law man
>>
What happened to Search, Spot, Diplomacy, Sense Motive and Ride in 5e?
>>
>>53838018
As stated in the phb they regain consciousness and 1 hit point within 1d4 hours from being stabilised
>>
>>53838066
perception/investigation, persuasion, insight, and handle animal.
>>
>>53838084
Makes sense. Thanks!
>>
>>53838028
Maybe it's just how he runs the game then. Because it's basically free to revive others in his game and has been since level 1. He's mortified to introduce any elements of risk at all.

My mistake.
>>
>>53838075
Yeah, but I'm asking because it sounds odd. The dying have a 60% chance to regain 1 HP in the next 18 seconds if left unattended, but providing them with first aid removes that opportunity, and they have to wait an hour?

What kind of logic is that? Is there supposed to be a gameplay reason, so dying PCs can refuse first aid (and risk death), and keep that chance of getting back up near instantly in exchange?

Or am I missing something?
>>
>>53838212
>Yeah, but I'm asking because it sounds odd. The dying have a 60% chance to regain 1 HP in the next 18 seconds if left unattended, but providing them with first aid removes that opportunity, and they have to wait an hour?
They also have a good chance of dying. providing them with first aid removes that opportunity.
>>
>>53838028
What if you preserve the corpse?
>>
>>53838212
>60% chance

It's a lot lower.

5% chance on the first turn, 0% chance of death in normal conditions
5% chance on second turn, (1/20 * 9/20)*2 or so chance of death in normal conditions.
5% chance on third turn, but there's the above chance you're already dead and don't even make that save.

So it's 9.75% chance of revive in the first two turns then a .. Probably about 14.3% chance after that? Oh, but then you might keep making saves for longer than 3 turns.
>>
>>53838264
I think it's more of a built in limitation of the spell, but it wouldn't that far-fetched to rule it otherwise if it was preserved magically in some way
>>
Could a well built Immortal Mystic 1v1 an Ancient Dragon? At what level?

For simplicitys sake assume red dragon and perfect stat roll Mystic so 18 Dex/Con 20Int, starting at level 20 unless it seems like itd work at lower levels.

Seems to me like they'd stand a decent chance with becoming immune to Fire.

Oh and for the purposes of this assume no Shadow summon STR drain cheese
>>
Would there be any reason for a beast master ranger to want their animal companion Awakened?

Would multiclassing Ranger-Beast Conclave with a wolf pet and Barbarian-Totem with Wolf totems create any kind of useful synergy?
>>
File: 1496697098764.jpg (32KB, 422x550px) Image search: [Google]
1496697098764.jpg
32KB, 422x550px
>>53838376
>rolling for stats
>ever
>not using point buy for theorycraft
>>
>DM makes us roll stats at the table
>I end up with two 18s
>he bitches about my rogue doing too much damage
rolled stat meme needs to die
>>
>>53838408
This is assuming ideal conditions for the Mystic as of now.

Oh and speaking of, terrain is an inclosed arena so the dragon can't just fly away.
>>
Rolled 1, 4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 6, 5, 1, 6, 6, 1 = 42 (12d6)

>>53838421
Try rolling 2d6+6 6 times and distribute stats in order.
>>
>>53838421
I legitimately hate rolling for stats. It seems like every time we've tried rolling for stats my character just ends up being exceptionally better than my friends. It makes me uncomfortable.
>>
>>53838421
>complains your damage is too high
>as if you wouldn't have 18 dex anyways
>rolled stat only +1 mod higher than normal start for point buy

your DM is a fucking moron.
that being said, rolling for stats is a cancer.
>>
>>53838445
11 STR
10 Dex
13 Con
17 Int
13 Wis
13 Cha

I pick up Wizard and use my first ASI to get 13 Str so i can wear some armour.
>>
I went through the PHB and DMG again looking for the rules about sleeping in arrmour.

Is it a house rule that sleeping in armour causes exhaustion? Only in heavy armour...?

I am playing a game where another PC claims that it's only a problem when sleeping in heavy where as sleeping in light and medium is not an issue.

Are there official rules about that sleeping in armour?
>>
>>53835081
You have to catch a hylian with a bug net and stuff him in a bottle, then he can pop out and revive your sprite.
>>
File: 5e Revamped.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e Revamped.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>53834457
>>
>>53838392
It would be able to scout without you using a slot for speak with animals.
Multiclassing with a beast seems like a bad idea because of the HP it will lose. Going 3 levels into barbarian means your main source of damage will have 42 HP, unless you are upping its con
>>
So the Orc from VGTM has a -2 Int core, does that mean they start at 6 int for point buy?
>>
>>53834457
>>
>>53838445
Problem is that this makes you roll average stats of 13, which is pretty high. But it does make it unlikely that you'll suck for the next half year with a main stat of 14ish.

Honestly I don't like rolling for stats either. You really need to start with at least one 15-16. And it's not like your stats matter all that much outside of your two to three main stats. I mean, a rolled Fighter won't be getting that much benefit out of the 14 in Int he rolled, but if he's missing 5-10% more often that has immediate consequences.
>>
>>53838421
>1 more damage than average per hit
This is more a shit DM vs. sneak attack meme than 5e with rolled stats meme desu
>>
>>53836612
Descriptive fluff. Just describe attacks as an endless repeating series of really cool, physically impossible, but otherwise equally effective attacks that still basically just remove meatpoints from the enemy regardless of how they look.

If you mean in the actual rules, then not really an option.
>>
What about 6d4 keep 4 for rolled stats?
>>
>>53838593
He does think Sneak Attack is broken and unfair.
>>
>>53838540
no, no it does not.
>>
>>53838593
It would be 2 more if you pick a race with +2 dex. Also means you hit more often, not that it would be breaking anything considering rogues have pretty average damage.
+9 stealth at level 1 seems like it would be the most annoying thing about it
>>
>>53838626
Or 5d4+2 kh4
>>
I need to confess. I have never equipped a magic item
>>
>>53838647
it would still be only +1 ave dam because your race would be the same in each case.
>>
What about you have 27 points, and upping an attribute to a certain number costs a certain amount of those points?
>>
>>53838684
what the hell are you going on about?
>>
>>53838664
Which one would you like to have anon?
>>
>>53838716
One of the cloaks, maybe a +1 weapon at some point
>>
I'm starting a game with all new players, myself included, and a new DM. I sent him the pdf of Lost Mines of Phandelver as essentially a beginners guide for dming. I also provided the group with pdfs of the rules they'll need to read, phb, dmg, and some supplements. Anything else I can do to try to prepare myself and my group for the game, assuming they all read the rules they need to know?
>>
Okay, I need some help; I have a Monk player and I need to find a way to describe ki fluffwise within the context of a universe where magic exists?
>>
>>53838766
>Anything else I can do to try to prepare myself and my group for the game, assuming they all read the rules they need to know?
yes. Don't assume they all read the rules they need to know.
>>
>>53838814
I'm guessing you don't like/aren't using the "it's just magic again with a funny name" explanation from the PHB then?

Just do it how the Daoists did it when they invented the concept; qi is sort of like a special "muscle" that has very strict and very distinct training requirements, and once you train it properly it universally improves all of your other bodily functions.
>>
>>53838852
Well then how do I explain why EVERYONE isn't using qi if it just requires training?
>>
>>53838867
The training is hard and not many people know how to do it.
>>
File: ki.jpg (66KB, 393x263px) Image search: [Google]
ki.jpg
66KB, 393x263px
>>53838814
have you tried, oh i dunno, reading THE GOD DAMN BOOK?
>>
>>53838867
Same way not everyone is a wizard?
>>
>>53838814
Where the energy of the body, mind, and soul coalesce within you that you may focus to accomplish feats otherwise only attainable by magic. To move with flurry beyond your musculature. To strike as hard as an ensorcelled blade. To ward yourself in weightless armor invincible.

There are many schools of mastery for this power. And the one which you choose to walk will open new options to you as far as way to utilize this energy. However that you seek to question what Ki is means you are not focusing upon cultivating it. You are a poor disciple whom I have been cursed with. NOW MEDITATE AND THEN POLISH THESE FLOORS!
>>
>>53838421
>>53838457
>>53838473
Rolling for stats is retarded. Either you get too strong with 80-90+ at the beginning or you're a bum with a 40 total like >>53838445 is.

Just take Standard Array or Point Buy.
>>
>>53838814
>Okay, I need some help; I have a Monk player and I need to find a way to describe ki fluffwise within the context of a universe where magic exists?

it's almost identical to positive energy. if you don't like the eastern mysticism, just call it positive energy. same stuff clerics use to heal people.
>>
>>53838867
Again, you do it the same way Daoists did it; qigong (training your qi until you can do crazy shit with it) is visually impressive, but it isn't any more or less effective then teaching someone to stab a guy with a sword or shoot arrows into his body and it takes a lot longer to learn. It gives you superpowers sure, but not nearly enough to make you invincible and the only ones who seemingly ARE that powerful can be counted on one hand.

A recurring thing in wuxia stories (kungfu genre novels from China) is that despite how powerful a character is to another person or to small groups, a large enough number of people could still kill them with relative ease because there's limits to how powerful you can get and none of that power makes you indestructible.
>>
>>53838814
Think dragon ball z. Ki = bodily energy that you build up through training and meditation.
>>
>>53838955
At risk of sounding like a retard; what about Dragonball?
>>
most underrated class in your opinion?

hard mode: no UA
>>
>>53836645
>how good is Fast Hands?
Have athletics expertise, drop caltrops on the ground as a bonus action, force your opponent onto the caltrops with a shove attack
If you aren't a strength based rogue, it gives you a way to put enemies prone without athletics (ball bearings) and without sacrificing your sneak attack that round
Once you have it you can attack with your main action to apply sneak attack, use your bonus action to lay down some terrain control if it hits, or use your bonus action to dual wield if it misses.
And of course, you have room to play around with items that aren't specifically listed in the rules, like pocket sand. Though that is dependent on your GM.
>>
>>53835059
A lot of tables ban Lore bard. It's not even like Battlemaster which just gives extra versatility to a kinda weak class, it's bard, already one of the strongest classes, on steroids
>>
>>53838421
My DM made us roll for stats in my first game (not 5e), though I suggested point buy. My stats were pretty much superior to the other PCs. Players were cool, DM didn't complain, and did a great job with the sessions, but every time my orc fighter did something great I kept feeling like I didn't "earn" it. Was a bit disappointing.

>>53838518
Yes, it's a house rule. There are currently no official rules on sleeping in armor or wearing it 24/7.

Relevant:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/02/18/sleeping-in-armor-2/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/14/sleeping-in-armor/
>>
Anons? There's a Pathfinder race called the Rougarou, who are basically expies of the Lupins (long story short: old-school D&D race consisting of werewolf-hunting wolf people) with the added ability to shapeshift into wolves.

For a 5e version, would you stat Rougarou as their own race?

Or just make 5e Lupins and give them a subrace or (probably better fitting) racial feat that has the "turn into a wolf" power?
>>
>>53839058
>Anons? There's a Pathfinder race called
get out and take your PF trash with you.
>>
>>53839002
Akira Toriyama was not a very good or consistent storyteller; he made stuff up as he went and dragged out plotlines even in the manga, and often (by his own admission no less) the only way he could think of to advance the storyline was by making some new villain more powerful then the last one no matter how ridiculous that was.
It's notable that he actually prefers writing slapstick comedy to the action stuff, and back when Dragonball was still basically an action comedy series it relied far less on constant power escalation all the time.

Afterwords when it came to anime and manga writers everyone basically copied what he did since his manga went on for 11 years and is easily the most successful anime and manga product ever; before him there's a lot less "this guy trained so hard that he can literally crush and army single-handedly" stuff, though arguably Fist of the North Star did it first.
>>
File: 250px-447Riolu.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-447Riolu.png
50KB, 250x250px
>>53839035
>Battlemaster just give extra versatility
I take it GWM is banned at your table too?

>Lore is banned often, Bard is one of the strongest classes
?

>>53839058
Pic related
Most wolves have a chance to knock prone on hit, maybe something like that as a feature.
>>
>>53838047
>Dash action
Youe base speed, anon, even if you have 5 bazillion move actions your speed is not 5 bazillion x speed
>>
Battlemaster or Barbarian for my reformed Orc bandit?
I'm planning on using a shield and battleaxe either way so optimization isn't a big deal. Also how does "was a bandit, attacked a trader's wagon that was being protected by a group of adventurers and got spared by a redemption paladin that was with them" work for a backstory?
>>
>>53839082
as retarded as i think it is, >>53837988
proves otherwise.
>>
>>53839002
Dragon Ball was a Sci Fi Fantasy retelling of the classic easter mythological literature called The Journey West in japanese comic book and animation form. Originally about a Bhudist Priest, the immortal trickster god the Monkey King, a River Spirit, and a disgraced General of the Celestial Bureaucracy travel from China to India and back to acquire Scriptures of the Bhudah.

In Dragon Ball, the priest is instead a teen girl genius and the monkey king is instead basically a little kid were ape superman analogue and instead of scripture they seek crystals that summon a dragon to make a wish.

The little kid becomes the most focused upon character as he grows up and continues fighting dangerous and strong opponents and learns about what he really is and grows stronger through acquiring additional martial arts instruction and learns how to manipulate energy. Late series fights revolve around less martial arts and mostly using ki to throw energy beams and explosions around.
>>
>>53838518
It's silly to worry about it. In real life if you were wearing plate you had multiple layers of armor under that (at least a gambeson, possibly mail and leather reinforcements). You wouldn't strip naked just to sleep, just take some layers off. And plate wasn't even that heavy
>>
>>53838847
I'm already assuming that for one, when I told him to read the damn rules he said "can't we just learn what we need to know as we play?" Hopefully he'll actually read it though. The dm is reading the rules I think. Last time I asked he said he hadn't started but he's usually reliable
>>
>>53839093
This makes no fucking sense, first the book says your distance is limited by your speed, then he says it's indeed by your speed...then he says you can dash to add more distance. It makes no sense, I guess is a boost, but nowhere in the book or his first explanation mentions or is possible to extrapolate that at all.
>>
>>53839106
Notably it was a LOT less sci-fi until the Z-era issues, with magic and ki and martial arts being the explanation for a lot of stuff.
Piccolo was basically literally supposed to be Satan for instance, and thus Jr was the Antichrist, albeit one that Goku actually manages to redeem.
>>
>>53839148
Yup the jump rules are retarded.
>>
>>53839035
>extra versatility to a kinda weak class
>best martial
>kinda weak
>>
>>53839035
>A lot of tables ban Lore bard
I've never seen someone ban lore bard, or seen it mentioned here before now
>>
>>53839166
They only become irrefutably the best martial at levels nobody plays. Everyone else gets either bonuses for hitting shit harder, stuff to do out of combat, or both
>>
File: journey-to-the-west-pic.jpg (168KB, 576x547px) Image search: [Google]
journey-to-the-west-pic.jpg
168KB, 576x547px
>>53839106
The Principal cast of Journey to the West.
>>
>>53839166
>Best martial
You mean paladin?
>>
>>53838684
increasing an attribute by one costs 1 point unless you're increasing it to 13-15, then it costs two points. you can't increase an ability score above 15 during character creation before rail adjustments
>>
>>53839140
>The dm is reading the rules I think. Last time I asked he said he hadn't started but he's usually reliable
you poor, poor fool.
>>
File: Dragon Ball.jpg (51KB, 230x368px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball.jpg
51KB, 230x368px
>>53839198
>>53839106
And the Principal Cast of Dragon Ball
>>
>>53839189
People definitely play passed level 11 anon.

>>53839200
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>53839228
The overwhelming majority of people don't, though
>>
>>53839242
In 5E Paladins are as awesome as they were in 2E. Which is cool. I want an arcane themed Paladin Oath though.
>>
>>53839242
>Basing anything off of a majority.
This is why no governments are a true democracy.
>>
>>53839165
>>53839046
Why is the dev team so retarded this edition?
>>
>>53839307
because there's like four guys working on this edition.
>>
File: FaeliaCharacterSheetFC.jpg (2MB, 1913x2475px) Image search: [Google]
FaeliaCharacterSheetFC.jpg
2MB, 1913x2475px
>>53834457
I made myself a character specific one just for fun. Works surprisingly well
>>
Rolled 4, 6, 1, 4, 6, 3, 2, 3, 6, 1, 2, 4 = 42 (12d6)

>>53838445
>>
>>53839322
christ that's an eyesore.
>>
>>53839293
Most people playing at early levels was a major consideration in this edition's design (they fucked it up either way but still). It's ill-advised to tell someone fighters are awesome in the very, very tiny chance that his group makes it to level 11+
>>
>>53839314
>Did you guy hear that there is a magic spell that lets you jump really for
>yah but not any further than you could run in 6 seconds
>>
WOTC LATE LIKE USUAL FOR A STREAM
>>
>>53839273
There's certainly been plenty of magocracies in D&D, so that'd fit... any idea what it'd be called or what it'd actually do?

Like, would it be a mage-hunter, ala the Inquisitor kit of old, which could also work for a magocracy by policing rogue mages (ala the "Magehounds" of Halruaa in Faerun)?

Or would it be a warrior-mage seeking to protect arcane magic and help the world around it?
>>
>>53839423
Speaking of magocracies, what would you call a nation ruled by an order of Paladins who weren't adherents to a specific religious belief, just their code of conduct and oaths?
>>
>>53839471
Camelot.
>>
>>53839471
A Knightdom.
>>
>>53839484
>Knightdom
Is that actually a real thing?
Because that sounds badass.
>>
>>53839335
Fighters are only marginally worse than Barbarians and Rangers at early levels and only get better as they gain levels.
>Fighters are awesome
I think they're boring, but some people like doing damage and nothing else.
>>
>>53839518
fighters certainly need more work than other classes, but they are capable of doing more than just doing damage, even without DM help.
>>
>>53839498
Not exactly, no.
The Knights Teuton had a region of their own for a very long time (an expansionist one no less), but they didn't call it a "kingdom" because by definition a kingdom needs a king; instead it was ruled by the Knight's Hochmeister (Grandmaster) who was still only a knight himself, just one holding high military rank within the order.
The nation was called the "Monastic Nation of the Knights Teuton" though, not a Knightdom.

Which is too bad because Knightdom sounds cooler.
>>
>>53839337
The value of the spell isn't that it let's you achieve superhero levels of movement distance, but that it allows you to spend your entire move in the air.

It's like 1 round of flight. It's not bad, just situational.
>>
>>53839471
Military junta, technically. Same for a country run by fighters.

Sorcerers/wizards/warlocks: magocracy
Clerics/druids: theocracy
Barbarians: tribal chiefdom
Rogues: plutocracy
Bards: democracy
>>
>>53839423
The archetype should be called Oath of the Barrister.
>>
>>53839609
Why shouldn't it, all it says is your jump is tripled
>>
>>53839627
It shouldn't because thats not the design intention. It wouldn't be completely obscene to remove the limit, but the limit exists.

Play it however you want in your game, but if you don't think that being able to jump 30 feet is impressive enough to merit a level 1 spell effect, then you're going to have difficulty with the game.
>>
>>53839322
>autistic sheets for special little snowflakes
All shitposting aside I actually like it.
>>
>>53839322
i guess it looks kinda nice but jesus is it hard to read.
>>
>>53839089
Anyone? Should I just dip 1 or 2 levels into barbarian and make fighter my main class?
Aslo, level 1 PCs are supposed to be exceptional individuals when compared to normal people. What is an appropriate length for a level 1 backstory?
>>
You guys know the 2nd farthest long jump is approximately 29 feet, close to 30 in recorded history. Due to Magic you're jumping father than that.
>>
>>53839620
This stuff all assumes that 100% of the person's social rank and society is determined by their class, which is a false dichotomy.
Example; the Viking berserkers most people tell stories about largely served and actual king with actual laws from an actual kingdom with actual cities, but still largely fit into the Barbarian mold.
Similarly, a nobleman could be a Rogue, or a Wizard, or anything else.
>>
>>53839676
I can jump 70 feet obeying the rules, suck my cock mearls
>>53839707
Monks can do that for the cost of one ki point, so wizards with their magic should be able to do muxh better than any old martial
>>
>>53839700
You remember how you (or someone you know) was hot shit in elementary school, but then you get to Jr high/high school and there's a new standard?

Your level 1 backstory is like that. You've done some cool shit, but now you're playing in a new league, so don't get carried away.

Length-wise, just don't make it longer than I'd interesting.
>>
>>53839728
And obeying the rules means you take how much damage when you land?
>>
>>53839791
Nothing because monk slow fall
>>
Is there a collection of character backstories and backgrounds so I can grab one and then adjust it to my liking instead of making it from scratch?
>>
>>53839826
whothefuckismydndcharacter.com
>>
File: akko phb.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
akko phb.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>53839826
There's a chapter in the PHB dedicated to backgrounds, anon.
>>
The party hard has been kind of bored in combat spamming vicious mockery. What are some useful fightan spells or other combat stuff for a third level bard?
>>
>>53839856
Start yelling insults when you use vicious mockery
>>
>>53839878
He's been doing that, but it's a little less fun when they can't understand the insults
>>
>>53839791
Nothing for I'm long jumping, if you're jumping up, as long as it's in your movement speed, including a dash if you use it, then nothin. But if you were to high jump 30 feet in the air, shoot your hand crossbow in a bad ass moment, then if you're no rogue who can dash as a bonus action, you'd take 3d6 falling dmg.
>>
>>53839895
Take speak with animals and cast it before combat
>>
>>53839843
No I mean like, a collection of backstories for each type of background.
There could be a dozen different backstories for a soldier, and one could just give me an idea I hadn't thought of.
>>
>>53839908
That's racist against goblins anon
>>
>>53839905
Monks have stepnof the wind, jump x2 and dash as bonus action
>>53839924
Fine take the lingual feat
>>
>>53839826
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Backgrounds
No joke, the complete ones are good.
>>
>>53839856
Bards are pretty dull around level 1-3. Normally you are using a shortbow until level 5 because 1d6+2/3 > 1d4
>>
>>53839958
Thank you

>>53839842
I thought you made it up
It's an actual thing
>>
>>53839996
Its pretty good anon
>>
File: FE6_Devil_Axe_Backfire.gif (130KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
FE6_Devil_Axe_Backfire.gif
130KB, 240x160px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwTCXENDe8Y
Horizon Walker, Cavalier, and Inquisitive Rogue are confirmed to be in Xanathar's. Thoughts?
>>
>>53840012
While they aren't exactly confirmed, I'd imagine anything that has reworked UA is probably going to be in too
>>
Any interesting gimmicks for a goblin moon druid?
I was planning on scaling medium creatures before turning into a bear.
>>
>>53840040
He somehow turns into a hobgoblin, then a bugbear.
>>
I can't sing, have little to no musical talent, and am terrible with insults and the like...but really want to play a Bard. What do?
>>
>>53840098
I can't shoot a bow, have poor hand-eye coordination, and am terrible at surviving in the wilderness and the like....but really want to play a Ranger. What do?
>>
>>53840098
Why would you have to do any of that?
Wizards don't have to recite arcane formulas or somatic components. Fighter don't have to be strong.
>>
If a Vampire is invited in by a servant are they able to enter? Or does it require by the master of the house? Also the Ranger abusing it with drawing circle with chalk.
>>
>>53840123
It feels like those things are just so intrinsically tied into the mechanics and playing a Bard. I don't want to just sit there and say "Here's some inspiration" or "my character says something inspiring!" We're typically a pretty RP group and I'd like to be able to roleplay a Bard, but I don't really have the confidence or talent to play the archetypal Bard and am kind of lost.
>>
>>53840142
>abusing it with drawing circle with chalk
It's not abuse if his character knows that about vampires.
>>
/5eg/, what's my best bet class and build-wise if I assume I'm gonna be the only forward member of the party. 3 people, the other two I'm pretty sure are both gonna be casters.
>>
File: 1497643125373.jpg (27KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
1497643125373.jpg
27KB, 480x479px
>>53839958
>dandwiki
>>
>>53840142
>drawing circle with chalk
Are vampires ants now? I remember believing when I was like 3 or 4 that if you drew a circle around an ant in chalk, it couldn't escape.
>>
>>53840134
>not going to the gym every day to get 20 strength
>>
>>53840159
"I hum a triumphant tone and magic manifests around you, giving you inspiration."

It's not hard. You don't have to sing or play an instrument. In fact I'd say almost everyone would prefer that you don't.
>>
>>53840187
I suppose. Our last Bard was a loud and boisterous and colorful personality who could sing and come up with great insults and quips on he fly, it went over quite well with everyone so I guess I feel like I'm trying to live up to that in a way.
>>
>>53840159
Somebody playing a barbarian doesn't have to smash something with an axe in order to RP combat
>>
>>53840246
When did this turn into a larp discussion
>>
File: Bs4Gw.gif (133KB, 497x501px) Image search: [Google]
Bs4Gw.gif
133KB, 497x501px
rate my WIP magic items. Party is level 6 and has no magic items other than potions/scrolls right now, because we blasted through levels 1-6 (SKT intro). Because of that, I am trying to personalize things a bit.

Lore Bard: Mac-Fiurmidh Cittern. He doesnt give me much to work with.

Chain Lock: Chains - The set contains two chains, to be worn by a master and a familiar. When one is worn by both master and familiar, the master gains access to the ‘Voice of the Chain Master’ invocation, and can also cast all spells through their familiar, as long as they are within 100 feet of each other. The familiar must use its reaction to deliver the spell, and abides by all similar rules for delivering touch spells as per the ‘find familiar’ spell. Your familiar also learns the spell ‘Bestow Curse’, and can use it once per long rest.

TWF Barb: Claw - can cast ‘jump’ at will, but only targeting yourself. On the first round of combat, you can make a leaping attack that triples your jump distance (you are still constrained by your movement speed for the turn). If this attack hits, it does an extra 2d6 piercing damage. Additionally, if the attack hits, and the target is one size larger than you or smaller, the target must succeed in an athletics contest or be knocked prone after your attack.

Life Cleric: Tassets - hold up to 3 charges, and gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering. As an action, you can expend one of these charges to cast calm emotions, prayer of healing, zone of truth, searing smite, meld into stone, or heat metal.

Group: cloak - allows for casting Mordekainnens Magnificent Mansion once per day, but it sucks. Campground with no food, no customization, just a resting place. Would probably adjust the 'invisibility/locking' feature as well to make it less secure.
>>
>>53840246
A bard doesn't have to be a literal bard. They can be performers of any kind. Think jesters, duelists, comedians hell even snake oil salesman.
>>
>>53840356
Does shitposting count as a performance?
>>
Hill or MTN dwarf cleric?
>>
>>53840294
I wouldn't give the cloak

Turn the barb "claw" into boots or something.
>>
>>53840366
Hill
>>
>>53840098
Just play a diplomat
>>
>>53840366
Stout Halfling
>>
>>53840393
barb is the only primary martial, forgot to add that the claw would count as magical damage. i want to give him a magical weapon but didnt just want to go the lazy +1 route.
>>
>>53840366
Unless you want 18 str and con at level 4 or need medium armour, Hill is usually the way to go
>>
>>53840425
The damage resistances in the monster manual are kinda there for a reason though, you should not be expected to just hand out magical weapons that nullify all those resistances
>>
>>53840458
At 6th level some classes get to count their regular damage as magical, so why shouldn't most people get atleast a +1 by than
>>
>>53840458
yeah, fair enough. do you think it would make up for it if he uses two weapon fighting and the damage would only apply on main-hand attacks?
>>
>>53840525
Same reason a beast master doesn't get regular damage as magical, it isn't required
>>
>>53840548
But both monk and moon druid do
>>
>>53840577
They also have lower damage die and don't have access to GWM or PAM.
>>
>>53840590
>turns into giant snake
>2d8 + autograpple
>worse than fighter
>>
File: kass.png (35KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
kass.png
35KB, 120x120px
What's an appropriate mana burn effect for my mage hunter NPCs? They're part of a totalitarian anti-magic government that has outlawed it for civilian use, but still practices it heavily (sorcerous noble bloodlines).

I was thinking
1) Burn highest slot, take 1d6 per slot level burned
2) Burn slot up to slot level expended to cast (probably 4), take 1d8 per slot level burned.
3) Take some flat amount of damage, probably equal to what a Sorc would get from converting a slot to sorcery points, and lose that slot.
>>
>>53840616
>turns into a fighter
6d6+39
>>
>>53840669
>still isn't a huge sized snake with autograpple
>>
>>53840669
We're still talking 6th level right
>>
>>53840663
They do they need a new mechanic? Why can't they just silence, dispel magic, counterspell, globe of invulnerability, antimagic field etc
>>
File: harbinger kass.jpg (12KB, 195x206px) Image search: [Google]
harbinger kass.jpg
12KB, 195x206px
>>53840710
Mana burning is cool.
>>
>>53840725
Isn't Kass basically a soul knife mystic?
>>
>>53840725
Id probably make it work like counterspell. You pick a slot you want to burn and make a 10+spell level check. If you succeed, you burn it and do 1d6/8 per spell level.
>>
Are there any recommended books when it comes to the lore of D&D in general? Not talking about rulebooks or supplements or whatever, but either proper fantasy novels or lore books.

I liked the Lords of Madness book for 3.5, for example, although it doesn't necessarily have to include stats and stuff, I just want some interesting reading.
>>
>>53840803
Scag is good
>>
>>53840774
Probably. At this point, all he really has is *teleports behind u* and hitting stuff.
>>53840782
Thanks, that sounds way more balanced than my idea. An action to cast the spell, and then has a DC of 10 for same slot or lower, and 10+slot level for any slot higher, and they lose the slot and take 1d6 force damage on a success.
>>
>>53840803
Drizzt novels
>>
>>53840856
No it's really not, don't lie, dude.
>>
>>53840663
Doesn't sound awfully fun and defies any common monster logic.

It'd make more sense to do stuff like use the 'silence' spell, have a reaction attack if someone near you casts a spell.. Heck, even as a last resort, have counterspell, though counterspell is still annoying.
>>
>>53840098
None of that matters. You don't need to come up with good insults either, just tell your DM shit like "I insult the goblin" or "I make fun of the goblin's lineage and face" if specifics are needed. If he's not a dick he should let it work.

Similarly, no need to sing anything. You can say "Bardguy plays his harp and sings a song he composed about forbidden love and betrayal." Actually writing and singing the song is just bonus.
>>
>>53835859
Pact of the Tome is insanely better than basically both the other ones. I feel like Bladelock will always be behind any other martial + magic class. I just don't see any point in using it when you can just use Eldritch Blast with its invocations. It honestly feels like choosing Pact of the Blade gimps you.
>>
File: 1461965330880.jpg (22KB, 349x344px) Image search: [Google]
1461965330880.jpg
22KB, 349x344px
>make a character focused on shoving and grappling
>every enemy we face has ridiculously high athletics scores
>stop trying and just swing my sword every round
>>
>>53841050
Tell your DM you want to change your character then.
>>
>>53841050
>UA athletics feat
Doubles your athletics proficiency
And Barbarians rage gives you advantage.
>>
>>53841074
What is the point of barbrogue when this feat exists? I always thought you went rogue for expertise
>>
>>53841050
The best shove/grapple builds don't require dedication to shove/grappling (str shield master, str barbarogue) and use them when it's a good idea rather than 'whenever'.

Still, sounds kinda bullshit unless they're large enemies or something.

But it's a contested check, so a large difference in modifiers isn't as great as a large difference in modifiers against a flat value.
>>
>>53841167
Athletics expertise is just one of many synergies barbarogue has, and it doesn't take a feat and lets you pick another expertise too.
>>
Is Tomb of Annihilation coming out with info about how to run a game in Chult, or is that in Xanathar's?

I want to run a level 10-15 campaign in Chult as a follow up to a previous campaign, but I'm hoping for some details and maps for 5e so I don't have to do as much conversion work from the older editions.
>>
>>53841425
Tomb is the module involving Chult. Xanathar's is all about getting the UA classes in print and legal.
>>
>>53841462
Will mystic be in there and will they remove the 2 book limit on AL characters
>>
>>53837473
Devotion Aasimar or yuan ti
>>
>Potion of X
>X of Y
>X's Y

I'm really struggling to name magic items and artifacts without falling into these boring conventions. Any advice?
>>
>>53841594
You forgot +X Y
>>
>>53841573
No mystic or artificer. Subclasses, feats, magic items, spells and something to do with backstories
>>
>>53841608
Why must you do this wizards
>>
>>53839200
Dubs of truth
>>
>>53841594
just give them dumb one word names that fit the weapon, like chillspine and fuegocrusher
>>
>>53841594
Just give it a name?
Like an Axe named Lenore.
>>
>>53841621
They think they want to playtest it more
>>
File: S6A3uFt.gif (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
S6A3uFt.gif
4MB, 720x404px
>>53841634
Deus vult.
>>
When will wotc release some race and class creation guidelines that actually go in depth into the math behind everything and aren't just "dude just refluff one of the existing options lmao".
>>
>>53841720
DMG 2
Due for release in 2022
>>
>>53841720
Never.
>>
File: 1283691362728.jpg (233KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
1283691362728.jpg
233KB, 500x498px
>>53835662
This post needs more (You)s
>>
>>53835662
Clever.
>>
>>53841720
What do you need to know?

Give them a +1 and a +2, fluff them a bit, standard movement and size, add one special bit of different abilities, then you're good.
>>
New thread >>53842043
>>53842043
>>53842043
>>
File: MAC37_TRUDEAU02.jpg (211KB, 445x290px) Image search: [Google]
MAC37_TRUDEAU02.jpg
211KB, 445x290px
My players are oddly prescient.

>They tell me they want to keep adventuring after we wrap up the last adventure.
>Lacking any more prep, I look for an Adventurers League adventure that plays off one of their backstories
>Find one involving a bunch of corrupt monks
>It is a long one (claims to be 8+ hours) so I only prep and read the start
>They are talking with the quest giver, who mentions that Brother and Sister Glavel and Olara were talking about using something to gain "UNLIMITED POWER"
>Players immediately assume that Brother and Sister means siblings, not Monk Ranks
>They start joking that the two of them must be in an incestuous relationship
>I think this will have a good payoff when they realize that Brother and Sister are just titles.
>After the session, I reread the adventure
>MFW Glavel and Olara are lovers.
Thread posts: 420
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.