[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I make a setting for this thing that captures what the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: index.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
How can I make a setting for this thing that captures what the setting is made out to be rather than bland medieval fantasy but now there's technomagic instead of wizards.
>>
>>53827587
You can stop thinking in terms off generic, status-quo medieval fantasy settings, for one thing.
>>
>>53827622
I'm sorry I used the word wizard?
>>
>>53827587
Use the Book of the New Sun netbook instead.
>>
File: by-Moebius-2.jpg (339KB, 1280x941px) Image search: [Google]
by-Moebius-2.jpg
339KB, 1280x941px
and steal artwork from Moebius.
>>
>>53827587
Play Endless Legend and don't put penis cannibalism magical realm stuff into the setting. Take some of the other anon's advice and you'll be gold.
>>
>>53828497
>Book of the New Sun GURPS
That's not GURPS, that's OSR
>>
File: xiccarph.jpg (99KB, 756x594px) Image search: [Google]
xiccarph.jpg
99KB, 756x594px
>>53827587
read jack vance's dying earth and clark ashton smith's zothique and xiccarph. though rarely considered or mentioned in these threads, i thing xiccarph captures the numenera feel the best.

when in doubt just substitute "alien tech" for whatever you would use magic and have characters, creatures, and plants have random biomechanical details (think original mirrodin from mtg). it is all clark tech and ass-pull-ary anyway.
>>
>>53828932
zothique and xiccarph are books of short stories...all super quick reads.
>>
>>53827587
Don't place it in the Steadfast.
>>
Numenera has a LOT of problems, but being "bland" is not one of them
>>
>>53829355
"wow, so random, wild and advanced! Everything is weird and magical!"

It blends together and becomes bland. Even the ciphers and the like just come across as though someone rolled on a table of random details made from old MTG cards.
>>
>>53830024
The setting's presented in a way that's broad and shallow. Makes it really easy to insert stuff as a GM.
>>
>>53829355
It's almost identical to a standard fantasy setting except there is weird places everywhere outside the Steadfast and everything feel extremely disjointed.
>>
>>53832476
What is even the point of buying the book then? the system isn't good, the setting isn't good but "is good for the GM to insert his own stuff",ect...
People expect generally more from a game than some plot hooks and a high concept idea for a setting.
>>
>>53829355

Numenera MAIN problem is that its bland bucko.

Whole 'so randum, so crazy shit, much weird' thing gets repetitive and feels forced and after couple sessions whole setting starts to feel stale as fuck.
>>
File: numenera_map.jpg (2MB, 3997x2554px) Image search: [Google]
numenera_map.jpg
2MB, 3997x2554px
The system kinda sucks but I do like the map that's just covered with random bullshit.

Has anyone run something Numenera-like in another system?
>>
>>53832546
I think it's all good and incredibly easy to GM. So, I recommend it.
>>
>>53828497
>>53828841
Yeah, the GURPS BotNS sourcebook is actually official.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.