[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good one-shot games I could play with strangers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: 1496744174430.jpg (118KB, 736x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1496744174430.jpg
118KB, 736x1041px
What are some good one-shot games I could play with strangers?

>don't have time for a campaign
>don't have regular players
>but have some interest from random people who have played RPGs before
>in-person, not online
>>
File: Game_Of_Pretend.jpg (98KB, 541x486px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Of_Pretend.jpg
98KB, 541x486px
>>53818831
>>
>>53818831
Aliens style bug hunt mission

Fallout Brotherhood paladins purging a ghoul village

DND 5 room dungeon; all player sheets are rogues

Last stand of dwarves in Moria, versus the tide of orcs and goblins

Defending Britain from a German blitz, 1940. Plot twist: the Germans have strike witches. Counter twist, the players discover their sorcerous backgrounds
>>
>>53818854
>rape-chan
>back when /tg/ was a pink board
>no limits no spoilers final destination
>>
>>53818869
>Aliens style bug hunt mission

Good, good. Which system?

>Fallout Brotherhood paladins purging a ghoul village

Sure, which system?

>DND 5 room dungeon; all player sheets are rogues

Intriguing!

>Last stand of dwarves in Moria, versus the tide of orcs and goblins

Boring conclusion.

>Defending Britain from a German blitz, 1940.

Requires too much brains and historical knowledge.
>>
>>
>>53818831
Drunken Bear Fighter
Sputnik Lost
Betty and Veronica Meet the Punisher
>>
File: 1460995745823.jpg (7KB, 103x150px) Image search: [Google]
1460995745823.jpg
7KB, 103x150px
>>53819132
I'm afraid to even google these.
>>
>>53818921
GURPS in all fields
>>
>>53818831
What tone do you want? Serious-ish, or goofy?
>>
>>53819894
also, do you want something with the potential to be strung out into a longer campaign if yous have fun?
>>
Fiasco
The Mountain Witch
In a Wicked Age
Lasers and Feelings
Atomic Robo RPG
Most games based on Apocalypse World.
>>
File: 1497033601319.png (897KB, 1001x671px) Image search: [Google]
1497033601319.png
897KB, 1001x671px
>>53819894
More serious preferably, though obviously with one-shots there can be light-hearted humor and some hijinks.

>>53819916
Potential is fine as long as it doesn't require a large upfront commitment to world-building for the GM or learning lots of rules or heavy character building.
>>
>>53819641
GURPS is never the answer.

GURPS is the question.

And the answer is no.
>>
File: Beyond the Wall.jpg (89KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
Beyond the Wall.jpg
89KB, 600x776px
>>53820387
Have a look at Beyond the Wall.
At it's core it's a slightly more simple basic DnD.
What makes it cool is that it has a playbook-based chargen, where you roll for your character's circumstances and childhood, as well as fleshing out the village where all the players are from.
Even though there's only three classes, each playbook provides different flavour, so the "Self-taught Mage" is going to be different from the "Witch's Apprentice", even though they're both mages.
There are also scenario packs which are designed to be used by the GM while the players are doing chargen to create an evening's play. They also have slots for you to fill in with stuff that the players have created in their backstory, like the Innkeeper secretly being a cultist in the Cult scenario, or the village Witch being kidnapped in the Goblin scenario

The theme is very folklore-y and coming-of-age, so you don't need a big fleshed out setting right away. You've just got to give the sense that there's a big world, but it's way over there somewhere.
>>
File: Further Afield.png (1MB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Further Afield.png
1MB, 816x1056px
>>53820387
>>53820817

If you decide you want to continue, the supplement Further Afield is pretty cool.
After you've finished the initial scenario, you take a session to flesh out the world collaboratively.
The players each take turns going around and telling stories about rumours they've heard or places they've seen, and fleshing out places that other players have detailed.
The catch is that the GM randomly determines how accurate the rumours or whatever are, so as to preserve the sense of mystery and exploration.

It also comes with four threat packs, which are like big overarching villains for your campaign, with guidelines on how often they should show up and how. These range from a classic dragon, to a city trying to reconquer the land, to a dream monster that tormented the PCs during childhood, a la IT.

It's honestly a pretty neat system, and I've had good experiences of it. I'm probably not selling this too well, but I'd recommend at least having a read through it. It's all in the OSR Trove I'm pretty sure
>>
File: We is Goblins.pdf (337KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
We is Goblins.pdf
337KB, 1x1px
>>
>>53820817
>>53820942
Thanks, looks neat, although it seems to require a lot more investment than we have time for.
>>
>>53818921
>Good, good. Which system
The Aliens system
>Sure, which system
The Fallout system
Both can be found in PDF share thread.
>>
Maybe try the Mario rpg from here. Simple and okay for quick game. Light hearted and fun.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.