[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to run a game set in a grim fantasy world. Somewhere between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: holy-paladin.jpg (283KB, 1272x795px) Image search: [Google]
holy-paladin.jpg
283KB, 1272x795px
I want to run a game set in a grim fantasy world. Somewhere between Berserk and Game of thrones for tone. I need a system to run it in.
My first thought was to lift the system from Currant Fractal, but my french is horrible and I don't want to have to translate it for everyone since it isn't in English and none of us live in Quebec.

I don't want to do D&D/Pathfinder because I want magic to be a bit more rare and come at a price/be more difficult. Think like Shadowrun's system where magic drains your strength and Stamina till you pass out.

Anyone got any ideas for a good system that can carry a good mortality factor (i.e. characters aren't overly hard to kill but harder to kill than the average mook) that can allow for magic but makes magic have some risk to make it not the answer to everything?
>>
File: Elf Slaves.jpg (10KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Slaves.jpg
10KB, 211x239px
Guess I'll give this a bump huh?

I'm thinking about having slavery being clearly a thing, and Chattle slavery is something that at least one kingdom is economically dependent upon.

In other kingdoms it exists in the form of indentured servitude where people work and die to pay off their debts if they should go bankrupt. no kingdom is without legalized slavery, of some shade, in some more "good" kingdoms it is seen as permissible because it is temporary until they pay off their debt.
>>
>>53790523

WHFRP?
>>
>>53790523
Mordheim?
>>
>>53791139
>>53791216
I don't own either of these, what are the mechanics like? Are they easy to learn? Dice pool system?
How does social work in the system?
>>
Races...
Humans (second populous)
Orcs (Most Populous least advanced. Often Slaves to Dwarves)
Half elf: By product of elf/human mating. Not really trusted by either humans or elves.
Elf (High elf, Wood Elf, Dark Elf): Have their own insular communities. Most wood elves live as Slaves after their largest nation went to war with the human Kingdom of Midland and lost.
Cambion: offspring of a human and a fiend
Dwarves: The largest slave owning population. Debts and taxes collected that cannot be paid are answered with iron slave collars. Drove the halflings to near extinction.
Halflings (extremely Rare): If you see one they are the property of a dwarf.
>>
File: Rugrats Nigga.jpg (69KB, 360x267px)
Rugrats Nigga.jpg
69KB, 360x267px
> grim

I want this meme to end.
>>
>>53791617
Why?
>>
>>53791617
Well its' sorta like Salt. How do you describe a fantasy world, like Berserk? It's grim and bloody.

Where if you play a lady knight expect the opponent to threaten you with being passed around as the company whore.

Where there is vaneral diseases?

Or Game of Thrones
Where being born a bastard means your worth less than shit.
Being a farm boy means you will never have a hope to improve your lot in life.
Where being a good guy just gets your head mounted to pike on the battlements.
>>
>>53791139
Came here to post this
>>
>>53791768
Can you tell me about it? I know nothing about it. Please tell me why you think this work and what it's mechanics fit?
>>
>>53791801
It's a very lethal system set in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles setting (the old one, not AoS)

Magic is rare and dangerous and could kill you or make you burst into demons

A few good hits will kill your ass

The setting itself is full of political fuckery. It's a little less holy shit dark than Berserk, darker than GoT

If you want comments on mechanics I can't help unfortunately because i've never played but it hits all your thematic requests.

>>53715647 is the OS Warhammer general and covers things like the RPG, they may be able to help more

Mordheim >>53791216 iirc is more strongly focused around tactical battles, being a stat game for warbands?
>>
>>53791903
Thank you I'll go check it out.

Otherwise I was poking around on Drivethru RPG is Fate any good, it's a Pay what you Want product so if it might work that could be an option.
>>
>>53791903
>>53792080
If you can't find a copy of WFRP I would suggest looking at Zweihander, the "I Can't Believe It's Not Warhammer" RPG.

>Warhammer Orcs say "WAAAGH!"
>Zweihander Orcs say "WAAAR!"
>It's totally different.
>>
Warham rpg if you dont want to play guts.
Anima low supernatural into high if you do
GURPS if you dont want clowny combat
>>
>>53790523

Thieves' World is like the closest parallel I can think of at the moment, magic is preparatory as fuck, as in you need to set it up way before hand rather than blast it out in six seconds. That and healing spells aren't magic bandaids.
>>
File: Core.jpg (94KB, 432x539px)
Core.jpg
94KB, 432x539px
>>53790523
>I want to run a game set in a grim fantasy world. Somewhere between Berserk and Game of thrones for tone. I need a system to run it in.

Say no more senpai

https://mega.nz/#F!gBY0waaC!N9nHRY0K1NDxmoMtTjP1Bw

RE low magic, you can block Traditions that aren't Dark Magic (which cause Corruption) or Destruction (which costs HP to use). Battle Magic tradition is just buffs/empowered weapons attacks so YMMV there.

Other than that magic doesn't carry a mechanical risk, but it isn't the answer to everything by virtue of limited spell choices, and also martials are very well supported so you can snip magic paths and traditions altogether without the whole thing coming off at the seams.
>>
>>53790523
7th Sea?
>>
>>53790523
Came here to say I miss read your idea as "game of berserk" and wanted to run a your game inside a 1980's arcade game.
>>
>>53795659
I came here to suggest SotDL, meaning it's good advise.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.