[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought it would be interesting to create a magic system where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1495493359889.jpg (531KB, 689x1101px) Image search: [Google]
1495493359889.jpg
531KB, 689x1101px
I thought it would be interesting to create a magic system where higher levels mean access to more complex effects, rather than more powerful ones. So where Tier1 is straightforward and something that a human can do with small effort, Tier6 is pretty much impossible to achieve without magic.

>Tier1: Telekinesis, telepathy
>Tier2: Manipulation of elements
>Tier3: Conjuring of non-living objects
>Tier4: Creation of life
>Tier5: Spatial manipulation
>Tier6: Time manipulation

The idea is new and not really thought through, so I'd appreciate any input. Stuff like: "thing thing should be in higher/lower tier; magic of this tier is useless, add this instead," etc.
>>
I like this idea.
>>
Clever but most of it depends on how do you want to implement it
>>
>>53783730
What do you mean?
>>
>>53782929
>spatial manipulation
>time manipulation
>"complex"

That's not complex, that's just applying ludicrous amounts of energy.
>>
>>53782929
>>53784152
Also, telepathy? Interpreting and altering brainstate directly is ludicrously complicated. Humans have spent a LOT of effort into trying to figure that shit out, and what we can do is VERY rudimentary.
>>
>>53784198
It really depends on what OP is basing the system, but magic in general is not technology, what is simple for one may not be for the other.

Magic is pretty much bending what naturally happens to get a desired effect. So telepathy doesn't actually have anything to do with reaching their neurons or whatever, but simply using the nearby magical energies to interpret their thoughts.

As for the OP, tiers could instead be separated into actions and what can be affected by them. Lowest tier would be just moving something, then further tiers could transmute it, create out of nowhere, destroy it, or manipulate the effects of time over it.
They could also define what you can affect, from the easiest things like water and air to living beings.
>>
I like this in theory, but I think it breaks down when you get down to it. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and all that.

You're saying that it's easier to untie a knot than it is to burn through it, which is easier than summoning a sharp edge.

I think it would work better if there are a plethora of different magical effects, and fine control or powerful effects take more and more skill to pull off.

Because it takes a ton of power to zap someone to death with magic, but it takes five pounds of force to crush their windpipe and leave then choking to death. It's brutally difficult to lift a semi truck telekinetically, but you could just propel a shard of glass through someone's eye. And that's with fairly concrete styles of magic--how does summoning work, exactly? Couldn't there be different ways of doing it with different strengths and weaknesses?
>>
>>53784152
As far as I know, turning back time is impossible.

>>53784198
Telekinesis just means "moving things without touching them" and telepathy "speak over long distances without opening your mouth".

>>53784773
I understand what you're saying but when I made the tiers I didn't really take "effectiveness" as the important factor. Yeah, sometimes fire would do things quicker and simpler than telekinesis, but the principle of working with fire is more complicated, IMO. To untie the knot you only need to know how you would do it with your hands, to burn through it you first need to know how the fire comes to be and then fine-tune that fire in order not to burn the house down or do it in reasonable time.
>>
>>53782929
>>Tier4: Creation of life
You mean sex and procreation is almost impossible to achieve?
>>
>>53785753
>As far as I know, turning back time is impossible.
We don't actually know that. Physics are largely agnostic regarding the direction of time, and general relativity allows time machines. If we are to believe general relativity, building a time machine isn't COMPLICATED as such, it just requires manipulating ridiculous amounts of energy and mass.
>>
File: 1435049028655.jpg (89KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
1435049028655.jpg
89KB, 600x395px
>more complex effects, rather than more powerful ones
>Time Manipulation
>rather than more powerful ones
>Time Manipulation
>more powerful ones
>Time
>Manipulation

Complex often means power in games like these, Anon. Breaking the fabric of reality, time and space are powerful, as they fundamentally change the way things work in all regards. In order for this idea to work, you must impose limitations on what one can do, and keep altering the laws of nature to a minimum. Allowing your players to go nuts with time and space will either have them destroy your campaign's ending, or twenty minutes.
>>
>>53782929
Isn't this literally how Mage: The Ascension works?
>>
>>53786206
This. The laws of physics in classical mechanics work equally well forwards or backwards. There is also the notion that time itself is an illusion propagated by entropy
>>
>>53786087
This IS 4chan.
>>
>>53786206
>>53789015
Except IIRC "ridicuous amounts of energy and mass" when you do the back-of-the-napkin calculation, handily comes out to "significantly more than could exist in the universe", and all the time travel talk is just popsci folks having a grand old time getting normies interested.
>>
>>53786087
well, it is wizards we're talking about
>>
>>53784056
In what game do you want to use it if any?
>>
Why not have low-level, trivial time manipulation effects?
>>
>>53782929
How is not tier 6 immensely more powerful than tier 1 in your example?Hello, controlling time vs telekinesis?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.