[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you don't use one of these there is no way of knowing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 18

File: diceroller.jpg (92KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
diceroller.jpg
92KB, 550x550px
If you don't use one of these there is no way of knowing with 100% certainty that the people you play with are not cheating.
>>
>>53737798

Looks like that d4 would just slide right down without tumbling
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 160x160px
>>53737798
We play with cards instead of dice.

We do have pic related though.
>>
>>53737798

I trust my group.
>>
>>53737798
Why do you have players that would cheat? Why is your group so dysfunctional? What did you do to make them do this? Why are you a horrible GM? It's your fault this family is falling apart. She should still be alive and you should be dead.
>>
>>53737798
I wouldn't run a game for players who I couldn't trust to roll their own fucking dice without cheating.

Either way, we use dice rollers anyways, so if need be I can check the logs to see whether they're legit or not.
>>
Those shitty Chessex dice aren't balanced in the first place. Your tower is irrelevant.
>>
>>53737798
I hope you're not talking about the Formula D dice. I use those in every campaign for lucky rolls!
>>
>>53737911
You're slipping, Wayne. That wasn't funny, or even cancerous. Just bland. Get your shit together, you shitposting turbofag, and troll us like we deserve.
>>
I know that they aren't cheating as they are my close friends who have dignity.
>>
>>53737798
Dice Towers are alright, though plinko style is better, but they can't beat dice poppers.
>>
I am confident that nobody at my table has either the knowledge or ability to cheat with a typical toss of a die.
>>
>>53737966
nice meme.
Chessex dice are the better ones out there.
Although, I think electronic/application dice will rule the future, due to a much faster action and result-oriented focus.
>>
>>53737798
Good thing I don't play with assholes.
Also, towers are annoyingly loud, fuck this shit.
>>
>>53738292
Chessex are squashed, air-pocketed, round-edged trash.
>>
>>53738196
Maybe what you really deserve is mediocrity? Disappointment in the average, just like your life...

Eh, no, I'm not that edgy. Sorry man, I'm having an off-day.
>>
>cheating in RPGs
>Caring about cheating in RPGs
>Not cheating in board games
>Not having fun trying to outcheat people in board games

It's like everything retarded had a baby and it was you
>>
>>53737798
You could also, ya know, use a cup.
>>
>>53737798

Sadly most GM's cheat anyway and call it 'fudging'.
>>
>>53738643
Wayne why are you intentionally shitposting? You've sprung into existence at least under that moniker over what seems recently. Why? For the memes? The gags and giggles you get?
>>
>>53737890
There's no way you're putting my deck in that thing.
>>
I don't get why everyone shits on dice towers. It's fun to build your own custom ones.

I built one a long ass time ago that's still in storage somewhere. Used to play Heroclix all the time before the scene around here died. I built a tower that looked like a skyscraper with a city park for the tray. Then I put some cheap little dollar store DC superhero figures around it to look like Superman fighting Lex Luthor and some other stuff going on. Turned out pretty good
>>
I quit my last group because one of the players was cheating, but he was such a sad sack that I didn't want to call him out on it.
>>
>>53739604
Dice towers are not a problem. Dice towers are cool.

As a player who both sometimes cheats (in one specific game where cheating was...encouraged) and plays perfectly fair even when my characters die, I don't mind being told to roll in a dice tower.

Its just that...watch this video. Tell me if you would play in this guy's game if you had other options
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwYAoZJyUA
>>
>>53739804
>4 minute video about how to properly roll dice

holy shit what a sperglord. I guess I've never really encountered this shit because the guys I play with aren't big fags about their rolls, or at the very least we aren't going to get this butthurt about wasting "precious seconds" rolling die
>>
>>53737798
If my group was cheating they wouldn't fuck up half as many rolls as they do.
>>
>>53739038
>misread that as dick
>realise how immature that is
>not disappointed
>>
>>53737798
>not swapping out loaded dice before tossing into the tower

It's like you don't even want to win.
>>
>>53738997
Because /tg/ is so fucking stupid that their inability to ignore me will propagate the meme itself... just like every other shitpost, forced meme, and Baitpost that is posted on this board. The problem with the board isn't me, or the shitposters, it's the posters and replies that give them life that ruin them.

Even pointing that out, replying with Baitfish repeatedly, is failing to realize the whole Fucking point, because, again, /tg/ is Fucking Stupid.
>>
Someone know where to buy a good dice tower?
>>
>>53737798
Fuck off StarToad.
>>
File: 012011_rg_LEGOCastDice_01.jpg (57KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
012011_rg_LEGOCastDice_01.jpg
57KB, 600x422px
I wonder why self loading towers aren't a thing.
>>
>>53737798
I use salt water to check the balance of my dice. I'd use that and you'd never know that I am cheating.

Checkmate, atheists.
>>
>>53741096
Yo..you..you're fucking stupid
>>
>>53737798
You can still cheat with dice towers you scrub.
>>
>>53741096
They get enjoyment out of it, you get enjoyment out of it. It's a beneficial arrangement.
>>
>>53741334
Yeah, and guess what? I Fucking own up to it. What's the first thing I always say in a Wayne-post? That I'm an idiot, I'm a retard, I'm a monumental dumbass. Guess how much that has an impact on me? None. We're all idiots here, and it's high time we start admitting our own small-mindedness. It'll be the first step to fixing it.
>>
>>53741367
The "smart" ones do. They see it as a joke, rightly so, and laugh right along with me. That's how we're supposed to handle bait. Turn into it and laugh about it all, take it light-heartedly.

Hilariously, idiots will argue that when they do that, it just "encourages people to make shitty forced memes." No, getting angry at it creates shitty forced memes, see my previous post.
>>
>>53741389
Everyone is doing it for their own amusement. A lot of people enjoy name calling and rage.
>>
>>53741416
Right. We call that sociopathy, and it's always been considered an unhealthy frame of mind for any society. Though I suppose when the wretched majority exhibits or condones this behavior there's not a lot we can do about it... except always complain about why this board is shit and trying to pin it on something that doesn't require personal responsibility and accountability.

Oh wait, that's what Wayne is for, right? Right?
>>
>>53741463
Your posts make me unreasonably angry every time I see them. I just thought that would be something you'd like to know. Your schtick is pretty effective.
>>
>>53741530
Thanks. Nice to see that you cover your ass by deleting your own post after seeing that you misspelled Your as You're.
>>
>>53741543
You caught me. Would you believe me if I blamed autocorrect?
>>
>>53738623

So's your mother.
>>
>>53738790

Nice reference.
>>
>>53741368
>It'll be the first step to fixing it.
The first step would be you killing yourself.
>>
>>53741556
Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. Doesn't change the fact that you care enough about what other board users think to try and cover your mistake.

>>53741636
Sure, after you learn to ignore me. Idiot.
>>
>>53741582
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nzKUIRaltI
>>
>>53738623
The trouble with flat dice is that they require a large space to roll them. They are meant to bounce off of a knurled rubber wall, otherwise they are easy to cheat with. Clear round edged dice are fine for a table.
>>
>>53737798
>unironically using a tower
>not just using a leather cup
>>
>>53737798
Its pretty hard to 'cheat' at rolling dice. If you do cheat, its incredibly obvious to everyone.

Dice towers are dumb. OP has some serious trust issues or a really terrible group
>>
File: smarttress.jpg (21KB, 600x362px) Image search: [Google]
smarttress.jpg
21KB, 600x362px
If you don't use one of these there is no way of knowing with 100% certainty that the one you married is not cheating.
>>
File: 1406496139654.gif (3MB, 438x383px) Image search: [Google]
1406496139654.gif
3MB, 438x383px
>>53738819
>narratives should not trump rng
>>
>>53737798
are you trying to take the only skill aspect entirely out of the game?

you need to learn how to throw dice.
>>
>>53737895
Bump for the trashOP
Trust is powerfuller than a plexiglass structure.
Also if you don't trust your friend, why keeping them ?
>>
>>53739038
>25 cents is too expensive to machine shuffle

I'm sorry you're broke anon.
>>
>>53743931
Then you're not playing a game you're just running your helpless players through your novel.
>>
>>53744071
People here have decks worth thousands of dollars anon.
>>
>>53744541
nigga why are you using your legacy magic the gathering cards to produce random numbers?
Are you dumb?

Even if you had to use magic cards you could just drop in 54 Squires with different numbers written on the front so you could successfully use the deck as dice.

It's a thread about dice and dice accessories not tournament procedures you dense fuck.
>>
File: he-mad.jpg (22KB, 370x300px) Image search: [Google]
he-mad.jpg
22KB, 370x300px
>>53744579
Follow the trail back to the beginning. The original comment said nothing about producing random numbers.
>>
>>53744790
>He says, ignoring the fact that is a thread about dice, a form of random number generation.
>>
>>53737798
So?
>>
>>53744803
>people never post off-topic things in threads
>people are never smart asses in threads and say "none of the above"
>>
>>53744541
Good thing we're not talking about magic or yugioh or chepokemon cards anon.

We're talking about normal playing cards, as shown in the picture here >>53737890

You'll also notice I said "We play with [cards] instead of [dice]."

Meaning we substitute dice with cards for the purpose of RNG, so your assumption here: >>53744790 is false.

Try and be less of a cock next time.
>>
>>53744855
>Good thing we're not talking about magic or yugioh or chepokemon cards anon
Not stated.
>We're talking about normal playing cards
Not specified.
>You'll also notice I said "We play with [cards] instead of [dice]."
>Meaning we substitute dice with cards for the purpose of RNG,
That does not necessarily follow. If you play Magic or Yugioh or chepokemon, you are playing with cards instead of dice, and not for the purpose of RNG.
>Try and be less of a cock next time.
Why?
>>
>>53737798
Joke's on you, I've rigged the dice tower.
>>
File: mm37_magicShuffler.jpg (38KB, 620x346px) Image search: [Google]
mm37_magicShuffler.jpg
38KB, 620x346px
>>53744907
>Not stated.
Correct, it was instead demonstrated with a picture.

>Not specified.
Wrong, it was specified by the picture I posted. If I was talking about using a card shuffler to shuffle mtg cards with I would have posted pic related instead.

>That does not necessarily follow.
It does if you have grade school level reading comprehension.

>Why?
Because it makes you a better person anon. You want to be a better person right?
>>
>>53743931
>>53744522
If you need a specific event to occur or rolling dice would genuinely be anticlimactic and retarded; don't roll for it. Pretty basic.

I hate it when players expect to have a genuine shot at certain rolls.

>Kill the son of one of BBEG's generals
>General later shows up in an ambush on the party, ready to kill guy who killed his son with a magical artifact
>Player wants to roll to convince him to let bygones be bygones.
For real? Look, say what you want to the man, but I'm not letting you roll out of that shit, goddamn. You can't lucky dice your way out of every scenario.
>>
>>53744954
>Correct, it was instead demonstrated with a picture.
>Wrong, it was specified by the picture I posted.
False. Showing an image of a card shuffling with a normal playing card deck inserted in way implies that you were referring to using it for normal playing cards, merely that you were referring to the shuffler.
>It does if you have grade school level reading comprehension.
It doesn't if you understand basic logic.
>Because it makes you a better person anon.
How?
>You want to be a better person right?
I am a better person.
>>
>>53745010
Fuck I would just let them roll and kill them regardless of the result.
>>
>>53743609

What if they hump on the kitchen's table?
>>
>>53737895
That moment when 3/4 are trustworthy but one isn't... The reason our dnd group died...
>>
>>53745017
>Showing an image of a card shuffling with a normal playing card deck inserted in way implies that you were referring to using it for normal playing cards, merely that you were referring to the shuffler.
Yikes, should read: "Showing an image of a card shuffler with a normal playing card deck inserted in no way implies that you were referring to using it for normal playing cards, merely that you were referring to the shuffler."
>>
I was going to make a thread about it, but this seems moderately related.

I'm looking to get some new dice because I've literally been using a dice roller on my phone since I started. What kind should I get? I'm looking to spend like 30 bucks, should I get a set of fancy metal/wood dice and pass them around, or is that retarded? Should I instead just get a bulk order of fuckloads of dice and literally never worry about rolling the same dice over and over again?

I'm worried about only having 1 of each dice type for reasons including that I want to start running some Changeling: The Lost and that system is heavy as fuck on the d10's. If I only have 1 fucking d10, that means my players are going to need to reroll that fucker like 5+ goddamn times on average.
>>
File: 32568741258965.jpg (78KB, 640x433px) Image search: [Google]
32568741258965.jpg
78KB, 640x433px
>>53745017
>>53745038
Visual mediums must be hell for you anon.
>>
>>53745061
Nope.
>>
>>53745052
You can get packs of 10 d10s from chessex for about $10-$15. Get different colors for variety. If you're going to play White Wolf games you will want a lot of d10s.
>>
>>53745052
Just go buy a $5 bag of cheap plastic dice that has enough of each type to meet your needs.
>>
File: 2314785468526.png (25KB, 302x410px) Image search: [Google]
2314785468526.png
25KB, 302x410px
>>53745074
You should bumble into an art gallery one of these days, it'll be great for you.
>>
File: stupid.jpg (81KB, 687x369px) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
81KB, 687x369px
>>53744907
>>
>>53745135
I've been to multiple art museums, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>53745148
Here's your (you).
>>
File: Spot the sniper.jpg (25KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
Spot the sniper.jpg
25KB, 550x309px
>>53745155
Is driving also difficult for you? What with the colored lights and all.
>>
>>53745226
No, I can't say that I've had any issues. It really is quite impressive how you just can't take the fact that you're wrong. Go ahead and try to insult me some more, I'll get some popcorn.
>>
File: Sauce is Liar Game.jpg (521KB, 750x3839px) Image search: [Google]
Sauce is Liar Game.jpg
521KB, 750x3839px
>>53737895
>>
>>53745250
>you're wrong
But anon, you've yet to prove that you're right.
>>
>>53745273
Sure I did. I demonstrated how the post did not explicitly state what he claims it stated. That's all that is required for me to be right.
>>
>>53738292
>I think electronic/application dice will rule the future
That will never happen. People enjoy the physical sensation of picking up and rolling dice too much. I can't begin to tell you how many people came to my table bragging about their dice rolling app and how clever they are for it, only to go to the store front and switch to physical dice come first break or the beginning of next session.

Physical dice will never, EVER go away. Not without a drastic change.
>>
>>53745296
Except it was demonstrated that you made assumptions about the posts that are wrong.
>>
>>53737798
The last group I played with openly cheated, only played DnD, and actively tried to make the most broken builds they could while the DM played favourites with his girlfriend. Group was cancerous as fuck, and I just tolerated them to finish out the campaign in the worst possible way.
>>
>>53745310
Authorial intent is worthless. All that matters is what was actually posted.
>>
>>53745346
Correct and what was actually posted demonstrates, very clearly, that you made assumptions that are wrong. Especially when you examine the content of the thread and it's original topic of discussion.
>>
File: Ew.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Ew.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>53738250
>table is cluttered with dozens of little bubbles so everyone can roll their dice
>>
>>53745296
No, you simply showed us that your brain is too fundamentally broken to understand normal human communication and interaction.
>>
>>53745365
>Correct and what was actually posted demonstrates, very clearly, that you made assumptions that are wrong.
Except it doesn't, as I've already demonstrated.
>Especially when you examine the content of the thread and it's original topic of discussion.
Already countered.

Got anything new to try?
>>
>>53745398
>h-h-he uses logic and reasoning!
>better throw random insults at him!
>>
>>53745402
You haven't demonstrated or countered anything anon.
>>
>>53745299
I know a blind guy who has an oversized electronic d6, programmed via remote; he throws it and it calls out whatever number (from d4 to d100) when it stops. I can see something like that being used in the future, with a die designed for aesthetic rolling that connects to an AR system that does the math. Would help with stuff like Shadowrun, Scion, and other games that have way too many dice.
>>
>>53745422
I think you'll find that I have. Ignoring it does not make it go away.
>>
>>53745454
>I know a blind guy
Edge case.

Don't care.
>>
>>53745454
That sounds awesome.

I wonder if I could make a normal sized variant.

Just a sensor and a transmitter that connects to a larger device that generates and calls out the results.
>>
This is the first thread I opened today and it's the dumbest conversation I've read this whole month.
>>
>>53745470
Except we have found that you have not.
>>
>>53745492
Then you are mistaken. Again. The neat thing about truth is that being unpopular doesn't make it false.
>>
>>53745515
Anon, believing in yourself doesn't make you right.
>>
>>53745417
Logic works according to SISO, Shit In Shit Out.

You're going off the idea that shit's gotta be explicitly stated. That's shit, and thus your conclusions are shit.

See, normal people don't need every little thing explicitly stated. They understand anyway, picking up implications, seeing things in context, and so on.

So you pointing out that everythign wasn't stated explicitly doesn't show us that the post was somehow gravely misleading, because it doesn't need to be explicit about everything. Instead it shows us that you suffer from impaired social interaction, verbal and non-verbal communication as you need to have things stated explicitly to understand.
>>
>>53745549
Correct, but I am right all the same.
>>
>>53745572
I am now genuinely worried for you and your future.
>>
>>53745479
I mean it in the sense that there are already electronic dice being used out there that combine the tactile feel of rolling with fast results.

>>53745480
It's kinda shit, but I think that's mostly because it was built by a guy who is not good at engineering - it often doesn't register a roll, so he needs to roll it again. One of these days I'm going to pay someone with the proper skills to make him a real one.
>>
>>53745562
>Logic works according to SISO, Shit In Shit Out.
Technically false, since an unsound argument can still have a true conclusion (the argument just doesn't justify it).
>You're going off the idea that shit's gotta be explicitly stated. That's shit, and thus your conclusions are shit.
I'm going off the idea that shit that's not explicitly stated is open to interpreation, and that isn't shit.
>So you pointing out that everythign wasn't stated explicitly doesn't show us that the post was somehow gravely misleading
I don't need to show that the post was somehow gravely misleading, only that it did not state what he claims that it stated.
>Instead it shows us that you suffer from impaired social interaction, verbal and non-verbal communication as you need to have things stated explicitly to understand.
Nope.
>>
>>53745601
There's no need to be. My life is quite nice.
>>
>>53745299
With the shift to online gaming and the ease of downloading (free) smartphone dice rollers, I can see physical dice getting phased out over the next couple of generations as new players flood the market and the inadequacies of physical rolls becomes more prominent.

Like I could see some nu-/tg/ arguing that dice are shitty because you always have to worry about rolling them off the table or how the paint on some castes makes it hard to read from a glance or something to that effect.
>>
>>53745649
These walls of cockish text demonstrate otherwise.
>>
>>53745025
smartable
>>
>>53745663
How does what I post demonstrate what my life is like? Even if I was a cock, is it the case that cocks can't have nice lives?
>>
>>53745608
>I mean it in the sense that[...]
Sorry, I knee-jerked because I'm on /tg/ and I didn't want to spend the next 5 hours of my life arguing with someone about the most inane of topics.

After actually reading it, it's a neat idea, but those type of dice won't really be successful until you can buy them cheaply like with regular dice, which will never happen because you can't make better dice without the price of normal dice included in the cost.

Plus, I can spend maybe $2 and have enough d6 to play Shadowrun. Expensive electronic dice seem to nullify this possibility.

>>53745654
Dice trays solve the first problem, and people will never grow out of the enjoyment of physically handling the dice. I used to do public DMing for a store. I saw DOZENS of people get really nice phone apps, even paying money for them. But come the first time we take a 10 minute break, they come back with a set of physical dice after watching everyone have fun with them for 4 hours.

Also
>the inadequacies of physical rolls becomes more prominent.
That's ignoring two things:
1. People don't really give a shit. The general consensus on autism central (/tg/) is that any set of dice are fine as long as they aren't OBVIOUSLY crooked. Do you really think that as time goes on and D&D becomes more and more normie central that people will give a shit about something they payed $1.50 for?
2. That people don't suspect computers of cheating or generating "unrealistic" results. It's not a secret to even most normies that computers suck at randomizing.
>>
>>53745714
>Even if I was a cock, is it the case that cocks can't have nice lives?

Sure they can, as long as they're autists, sociopaths, or both.
>>
>>53745776
Well I make friends easily and I donate blood and do charity work, so which am I? Am I both?
>>
>>53745830
Aside form a pathetic sack of shit? That's for your psychiatrist to determine.
>>
>>53745874
I don't have a psychiatrist. I don't really seem to have any life problems that would cause me to go see one.
>>
>>53745724
I can see a good electronic die coming out to around $8-10, if made properly and mass produced - all it really needs in it is an accelerometer and a way to connect to a smartphone. Buying a set of Chessex is about $4, and most people will keep buying dice. I have no idea where you would get 15+ d6 for $2 - the least that I've seen them go for is 25 cents apiece at the FLGS.

You could buy one die and use it for every game. It will eventually need to get replaced, but people tend not to think about buying another one in three years, especially when in the intervening years they've gotten accustomed to a computer doing all the math of counting hits for them. The price difference between getting regular dice and an electronic die is not enough of a barrier.
>>
>>53745724
> computers suck at randomizing
What is "electronic noise" randomization schemes for 200$, Alex? They are even natively supported by all the recent Intel CPUs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_random_number_generator
>>
>>53745724
>people will never grow out of the enjoyment of physically handling the dice.
Yeah, just like people will always appreciate good gameplay or the musical stylings of [insert band name here].

Eventually, the technology is going to reach a point where physical dice become obsolete, generally because we already have apps that can simulate the process of rolling while also being free and easy to transport.

Like I said, give it a generation or two and everyone will use electronic dice for their outcomes.
>>
>>53741170
Build yours ? They're quite simple to do with cardboard and you can try plywood.

I use them mostly for the satisfactory sound when rolling.
>>
>>53743976
Love the dice design, but hell, you can't see shit on them. They need to have more contrast.
>>
>>53745904
>I don't have a psychiatrist.
That's obvious. You should go see one.
>>
>>53745978
>I can see a good electronic die coming out to around $8-10
You're already asking too much.

The price of the average, single polyhedral dice is about 50 cents USD in most major hobby shops. You can purchase d6s for less if you scrutinize a bit, which is where I come up with the $2 price for enough d6s to play most Shadowrun games, but if you're talking about the big 15+ chessex dice boxes, then yeah, about $4 is the right price.

However, as it stands, your competing price is about 50 cents per dice as opposed to $9~ per dice. Only the tech geek at the table will buy that, and he'll probably quickly switch to physical dice, because accelerometer technology isn't all that great, and nobody is going to put up with a $9 dice that doesn't work immediately as well as the .50 dice. ESPECIALLY because for that same $9 I can bulk buy dice so I can start dropping massive-dice spells and total up results instantly.

>>53746017
Great point...except for the fact that most people at the table will be using their smart phones. Which tend to have Snapdragons as their chip. Even then, I'm not sure if intel would bother inserting a hardware random number generator in such small chips, but I could be wrong about that.

Also keep in mind, I'm only referring to table play, which is where dice actually come into use. Not online or roll20 play. I'm not interested in such mediums.

>>53746095
>just like people will always appreciate [opinions] or [more opinions]
Science indicates that people enjoy fidgeting with small objects in their hands. Opinions will change, this is true, but you're not going to overcome psychological addiction with "opinions" or a generation gap.

Look at the fidget spinner/cube phase.
Look at the phases before that involving small objects like yo-yos, jacks, pogs, tops, etc.

Those will go out of style because they're toys, but the dice are a necessary part of playing, so regardless of how long you wait, the dice will never go away.
>>
>>53746251
>Great point...except for the fact that most people at the table will be using their smart phones.
Just use a fucking heat excess scheme and then ampify the voltage, you nignog.
It's not like anyone will bring liquid nitrogen to the table to cheat.
>>
>>53743976
Seconding 'dis.
What country are you from?
>>
>>53746305
1. Still not as fun as physical dice
2. You will never overcome the player's superstitious and occultist belief that your program is cheating them
3. You will run out of programs to download to get "better luck". You will never run out of different dice to buy.
>>
>>53746305
>That guy who always chills his phone to near absolute zero before rolling.
>>
>>53746251
>Science indicates that people enjoy fidgeting with small objects in their hands.
Science also indicates that people who enjoy fidgeting with small objects are usually on the autism spectrum, which spells bad news for the hobby since "normies" are growing in number each and every day and fewer people are committed to buying their own dice.

Think about it, would you necessarily buy $4 worth of dice for a game/hobby that you're not even sure that you're going to like? Of course not, you're going to download an app to simulate the experience and spend that money on something else that you might actually want.
>>
>>53746404
>fun
Subjective anon.

>player's superstitious
People do this with dice too anon.

>You will run out
Learn to code. It's not hard.
>>
>>53746404
1. Fun is subjective
2. Players do the same shit with their dice when they roll a "3" and claim "muh dice is cursed!"
3. I learned how to write a RNG as an intro to a programming class I took, it's like 20-30 lines of code at most and you can figure it out in an afternoon.
>>
>>53737883
It might slide, but the alternating walls will change what it lands on.
>>
>>53746479
>20-30 line RNG

Jesus anon.
>>
File: WAYNE_FAG.jpg (86KB, 448x624px) Image search: [Google]
WAYNE_FAG.jpg
86KB, 448x624px
>>53741096
>>
>>53746410
>Think about it, would you necessarily buy $4 worth of dice for a game/hobby that you're not even sure that you're going to like? Of course not, you're going to download an app to simulate the experience and spend that money on something else that you might actually want.
From my plethora of experiences with normies at the table, normies will usually buy the dice first thing, because that's the traditional thing you buy to play pen & paper games. Even if they don't, they will, because it's cheap, and rolling dice is part of the public perception of the game that will never go away.

What you're saying is basically the equivalent of saying that all people will abandon Yahtzee for electronic Yahtzee for obvious utilitarian purposes, and then failing to account that electronic Yahtzee sets regularly fail because people enjoy rolling the dice. Unless something physically happens to dice manufacturing, like we live in a post-cyberpunk world where plastic and bones are too expensive and up the price of dice to $20 a die, we will never have a successful diceless Yahtzee.

>>53746432
>>53746479
>Subjective anon.
There is real science that says otherwise all over the internet.
>People do this with dice too anon.
See point 3 about people buying more dice. Spoiler: This is a real thing they will do.
>Learn to code. It's not hard.
Why is it on me, the player, to learn to code, when I, the player, will just pick up a new set of dice and have deleted your program by next week for giving me 3 low rolls in a row?

I'm actually a programmer by trade. I couldn't imagine telling a customer to just "program your own dice roller" for not liking mine as a viable long-term strategy which would keep them engaged with electronic dice rollers as opposed to buying physical dice.
>>
>>53746502
Nobody said I was a GOOD programmer, even then its been years since I took that class so for all I know, I'm just exaggerating.

The point is, it's not difficult to write a RNG program if you know even basic programming.
>>
>>53745296
You are so fucking dumb it's literally boggling my mind
>>
>>53746528
>Fun isn't subjective, science says so.
>I'm actually a real programmer!

Christ my sides.
>>
>>53746528
Here's the thing though.

The dice will usually come with the board game and everyone at the table rolls the same dice. If you want to play with a full party in a D&D game, you'll need to ask each player involved to a) find a hobby store in their area, 2) throw down some money to own physical dice, and 3) be ready to drop more money on dice if you're playing a game like SR or WoD which uses a dice pool as opposed to a full set of dice.

Having played in and run several games at my local college, most people will either ask to borrow someone else's dice or download a phone app to simulate the experience anyways, which I could see becoming more and more prevalent as we go along.
>>
I have a dice tower with a spiraling path going down in 90 and 45 degree drops and I use gamescience dice

only reason my group uses a tower is because we want to save space at the table and eliminate ugly rolls and dice rolling of the table
>>
>>53746703
>you'll need to ask each player involved to
>a)
They will naturally find one on their own if they become serious about the game.
>2)
$4 isn't asking much by anyone's standards
>3)
If they are playing Shadowrun/WoD to begin with, they will only drop the money to buy the dice originally. If they are serious enough gamers that they consider switching game, they will naturally buy their own dice.

I have never asked my players to buy dice, and every game I show up with, I bring a huge "Player Box" filled with spare dice, pencils, notepads, and small pawn tokens to represent players on a map if they're having trouble with theater of the mind and need a grid.

Despite all of this, over the 4 years I publicly DM'd, and the last 3 years I privately DM'd, without fail, during first break or at the beginning of second session, all the digital dice rollers have vanished in favor of physical dice. Normies and hardcore nerds alike. Nobody has EVER stuck with a digital dice roller and immediately pick up their own set of physical dice, despite me giving them every reason not to.

Until you can overcome the psychological urge to physically roll dice, the dice rolling app will never appear at a table. Even IF the perception of rolling physical funny shaped die somehow disappears from the hobby.

Apps are fighting this battle uphill in TWO directions. I know tech is the way forward, but this just simply will not happen at a pen & paper table.
>>
>>53746251
>ESPECIALLY because for that same $9 I can bulk buy dice so I can start dropping massive-dice spells and total up results instantly.

You're missing the point that the electronic die can drop massive-dice spells better than any number of physical dice. You can't total them instantly (neither can the computer, but the fractions of a second it takes it are far faster than your 30-90 seconds of counting). You're comparing one $9 die against one $0.50, when you should be comparing one $9 die against your $15 Crown Royal bag stuffed full, and the box at home with all the extra dice from that time you played Vampire.

Saying that the tech geek will switch to physical dice because the electronic one won't work as well is insane, because most of the time it will work better and the few times a properly installed accelerometer won't register, it's half a second to reroll. By their very nature, electronic dice that aren't made by some guy on his kitchen table with Gorilla Glue are going to be superior. You've gone from arguing feel and price to arguing quality, which is switching to a losing tactic.

>>53746528
>Why is it on me, the player, to learn to code, when I, the player, will just pick up a new set of dice and have deleted your program by next week for giving me 3 low rolls in a row?
At which point if you're such a faggot you get one of the ten thousand RNG apps out there. Nobody is going to program their own, but 15 seconds will give them another free dieroller app. I also object to the idea that people are going to blame the program for giving them bad numbers and stop using it, because I've seen plenty of people who use electronic rollers and keep using them regardless of results, same with physical dice, because they're not autists. People might have a lucky die, and they might think their dice are rolling like shit tonight, but unless they are in a hobby store with cash on hand as they play they're not going to be constantly getting new dice.
>>
>>53746910
>Nobody is going to program their own
It takes a minute to write a basic command line RNG. Even less time to make a "new" one because the old of is "unlucky"
>>
>>53746971
And unless you already are the kind of person who codes, you're not going to do that. You're going to go to the app store, punch in "dice", and download the first one that comes up.
>>
>>53746853
>They will naturally find one on their own if they become serious about the game.
Well if the dice roller app already gets the job done or they have friends who let them borrow their dice, why would they?
>$4 isn't asking much by anyone's standards
You say that but then we have people who pirate $5 games and avoid apps that actually cost money.
>I know tech is the way forward, but this just simply will not happen at a pen & paper table.
Newsflash grandpa, it already has. The only reason why you don't notice it is because you've actually found a hobby shop that doesn't chase away new customers with weapons grade autism.
>>
>>53746910
>You're missing the point that the electronic die [..]
If you're talking about the idea of using one electronic die to roll a large number of dice, that's already missing the point. The feeling of dropping 10d6 and seeing a bunch of sixes > The feeling of dropping 1 dice every time. There are people who pick wizard just for the excuse to drop huge numbers of dice.

>30-90 seconds of counting.
>Taking literally a minute to add up numbers
This has never happened. Dice counting ends at roughly 10 seconds for the slowest of players. This isn't even considering the time it would take for the electronic dice to register how much they rolled on their own. With cheaper parts or even just regularly communicating with each other, asking if they stopped yet and if they did what number did they finally register, before sending that info back to be calculated over a lossy transmission medium, you're gonna probably be waiting about 2 or 3 seconds, which is going to be hard to justify that price tag when they could just add it at the table on their own.

>you should be comparing one $9 die [...]
I'm not making that comparison because it's not fair to you. I can use that $15 bag of dice to supplement an entire 4 tables with enough dice to game for most modern games, INCLUDING vampire or SR, meaning that I wouldn't HAVE that box at home with the extra dice from vampire because I already have the extra dice.

Also my $15 bag of dice can be treated as shit, thrown about the room, and generally have fun with it, whereas a $9, I'm going to panic heave if I rolled it too hard and pray it doesn't break if it rolls off a table/out of a dice tray.

>Saying that the tech geek [...]
It's what I witnessed regularly.

>15 seconds will give them another free dieroller app.
Which they will complain about again and again. I haven't even talked about the psychology of how people tend to believe physical objects moreso than computer programs.
>>
>>53747027
Until you get bored of doing that 3 or 4 times and switch to physical dice.

>>53747045
>Well if the dice roller app already gets the job done[...]
Why wouldn't they if they become serious about the game/hobby? It's a store filled with what they become interested in. This is like asking why any gamer would ever walk into a gamestop (without making the general off-handed commentary about gamestop's errant practices). Or asking why someone interested in model planes would ever walk into a model shop.
>You say that but then we have people who pirate $5 games and avoid apps that actually cost money.
Perception and psychology play a part in this again. I'll avoid most of it and say that when I spend $4 on a set of dice, I will have fun with that $4 for YEARS to come. I avoid $5 games because the average consensus and experience with them suggests that I'll probably have fun with it for 20 minutes and then NEVER again.
>Newsflash grandpa, it already has. [...]
Reality has strongly suggested otherwise over years of experience with a variety of groups, and I never suggested I DM'd at just one shop. Oh, and I live in a fairly large college town to boot. So, yeah.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.