[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I agreed to take part in a comedic campaign because I love that.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: katyn memorial.jpg (33KB, 383x614px) Image search: [Google]
katyn memorial.jpg
33KB, 383x614px
I agreed to take part in a comedic campaign because I love that. Already I saw an example of DM's humour. The High Elves are rastamen. I'm so fucked. Too depressed to write more.
>>
>>53725454
Are you really saying you're completely broken up over one bad pun? Sure, it's a lame joke, but at least sit out a full session before you give up. Nobody's funny all the time.
>>
>>53725492
In my experience, drug jokes right out of the door are the biggest sign that the person has the sense of humour of a rock.
>>
>>53725544
Even so, snap judgements are categorically stupid. I suppose in the end only you stand to potentially lose if you bail now, so it's your call.
>>
As if anyone here has any better sense of humor at all.

Go ahead. Give us a funny joke. How would -you- handle a comedy campaign?
>>
>>53725642
Fuck off Felix, I'm out of your shitty campaign.
>>
>>53725454
if he's really not funny, tell him he's not funny, drink the soda, then leave
>>
>>53725642
Everything thats happened is a series of mishaps that only took place because one guy was too embarrassed to admit that it was he who dealt it and surely did smelt it
>>
>>53725642
Maybe some kind of self aware, but non meta humor. Like, instead of high elves being "dude weed", they'd all be hardcore barbarians with raids and feasts

But then once you actually express high elf culture, you learn they've been acting like tough brutes because they dislike the pompous dickbag stereotype

But then one you go to a "feast" all the high elves take off their fake scar makeup and start dancing and having tea and cake and they're still pompous dickbags rebranding campaign aside
>>
>>53725454
>three sentences
>I'm so fucked. Too depressed to write more.
T. every artist ever
>>
>>53726500
That's objectively worse
>>
>>53726616
That's not funny. That's not even a joke. Puns at least are jokes.
>>
File: doctor says it like it is.jpg (39KB, 442x536px) Image search: [Google]
doctor says it like it is.jpg
39KB, 442x536px
>>53726616
>>53726683
And in doing so we've established that humor is objective. I'm sure someone in OP's campaign, and even someone on /tg/, will find that sort of a thing perfectly amusing. Conversely, you can't put any manner of a joke on /tg/ without someone feeling the need to come in and tell you it's unfunny shit.
>>
>>53726670
Humor is subjective you need to know your audience dweeb
>>
>>53726706
Making elves into pompous jacjasses who pretend to be brutal jackasses isn't a joke, high elves who are high is a joke.

Toilet humor is lower than puns.

That's all objectively true.
>>
High elves having a narco or yardie culture is both funny and gold for games though.
>>
>>53726728
But that's not toilet humor. The elves aren't farting or shitting or making jokes of such.
>>
>>53725642
>a preist, a rapist and a pedo walk into a bar....he sits down
>>
>>53726890
This joke depends on poor English: proper grammar would necessitate the use of "walks", not "walk", which in turn would completely ruin the punchline.
>>
>>53725642
Normal characters in a wacky setting, or the other way around.

Interactions between the two. Expectations leading to false assumptions; it's the basic idea of how a punchline works. References to the real world.

Let's say the characters are thrust into a world that is not their own. The players don't know too much about the world either. You tell them they need to find a couple of high elves for their quest for whatever, once they find them you give subtle hints about how the elves are forgetful, their eyes are red and they smell like freshly cut wet grass and so on so forth. The players' coming to the realization "oh my god high elves are just druggies" could be funny, but telling them "high elves are potheads lmao weed jokes" is not.

Have them look for a blacksmith. Once they find this blacksmith the DM roleplays him with a heavy urban accent. It could be funny if the DM is good with impressions and the players like racially charged humour. Black smith instead of blacksmith. I must be first to come up with that.

Describe an evil nobleman as having orange skin and thin blonde hair. Maybe he even says "you're fired" to a peasant at some point. It's a tired excuse of humor but I have confidence it could work in certain company.

An example of something more clever and profound would be Death from Discworld and how everyone interacts with him, though I guess establishing a character like this has its challenges. Discworld in general is an obvious and great source of inspiration if you really start thinking about why is it so funny.

The other option as I mentioned is silly characters in a normal kind of setting. In this case you just need everyone to be on board and have funny players. Think 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia'. All the main characters are insane and the way they interact in and with the normal world is a comedy goldmine.
>>
Puns are the highest form of comedy
>>
File: 19.a.jpg (28KB, 459x101px) Image search: [Google]
19.a.jpg
28KB, 459x101px
>>53726500
>>
>>53726728
it's not a joke but it's funny. it's a premise you can build jokes off of. and that's comedy babey
>>
>>53727949
your theory is spot-on but your actual examples aren't anything worth anything at all
>>
>>53729055
Well, the High Elves bit does have potential the way he wrote it. So long as it's remotely subtle and lets the player characters come to the conclusion themselves, it works.
>>
>>53729084
it certainly works better than the original poster's premise, but the ending joke still feels like it belongs in a friedberg/seltzer movie. i think going over-the-top wacky parody is the wrong way to go about things- i'm much more of a fan of some gentle absurdism when i'm trying to make a funny campaign. having stuff that blatantly doesn't belong in the time period just show up sometimes is a lot funnier in my experience than just continuously shoving jokes into someone's face. that works in airplane!, but you are probably not writing airplane!.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.