[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Garry Kasparov teaches chess anyone else excited for thi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (72KB, 572x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 572x640px
>Garry Kasparov teaches chess
anyone else excited for this?

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/garry-kasparov-teaches-chess
>>
>>53717289
ehh, not really. I've gotten all of his "My Great Predecessors" books, and while they were interesting and full of variations, I didn't think that they came across well for a teaching perspective. He mostly just bombards you with variations and "this one is better than that one" and expects you to immediately understand why. He's the sort of guy who doesn't quite get how there are people under a 2300 FIDE strength, and if you're not a master, you can probably find better instruction for your own skill level.
>>
>>53717528
Fred Reinfeld books are classics of the genre, if only someone would update them and replace the descriptive notation with algebraic.
>>
What are some good guides to playing Chess and Go?
>>
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1082469

Tatai-Korchnoi 1978, aka how to lose an Exchange French in under 20 moves.
>>
>>53724279
The Exchange French always makes me nervous. I've never been able to swallow the idea that opening the e file prior to castling is a smart thing to do.
>>
>>53724293
The idea behind it is to allow a speedy queen exchange. Once the queens are off the board, a draw can be quickly reached. If you're not deliberately playing for a draw, then no, opening the e file isn't a good idea at all.
>>
>>53717289
Too bad he can't teach us how to beat a computer.
>>
>>53724464
Too bad a computer can't teach us how to beat him.
>>
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067988

Karpov-Keene, 1977.

Raymond Keene was the British chess champion at the time and here he explains how he answered the world champ with a Philidor Defense and managed to pull off an eventual draw. According to Keene, studying Karpov's games revealed that he tended to get a little flustered by e4 e5 openings that weren't Ruy Lopez, which is probably what he was trying to do here until Keene played 2...d6.

GMs are still human and can be thrown off if given a situation they're not prepared for, as I've mentioned before, the first serious game Karpov played after defending his title against Korchnoi in 78 was against Bent Larsen, who beat him handily with a Scandinavian Defense.
>>
>>53725348
Kasparov probably wouldn't get thrown off by those openings because he's always been known for his superb opening preparation--he also revived the Scotch Game from the dead in the 90s and spanked Anand with it once.
>>
>>53725371
Bent Larsen was well known for his eccentric opening repertoire, for example he was fond of the King's Gambit and Bird's Opening. He was also one of the few GMs who seriously tried to win with the Black pieces instead of draw like most of them.

"I enjoy playing Bird's Opening because most grandmasters are not prepared for this opening and I have a number of good ideas to use with it."
>>
>>53725398
Bird's Opening (1. f4 if you didn't know) is really not a good idea at all and is probably worse for White than the King's Gambit. At least with the latter, White is preparing to castle quickly. It gets its name from 19th century English master Henry Bird who won some excellent victories with 1. f4 but suffered as many or more terrible defeats. He also lent his name to the Bird's Defense of the Ruy Lopez (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nd4).

In general, anything named after Henry Bird is not something you want to use against >1200 players.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.