[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a setting based off of actual folklore like the Kalevala

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: rdaM35e.jpg (141KB, 613x599px) Image search: [Google]
rdaM35e.jpg
141KB, 613x599px
Would a setting based off of actual folklore like the Kalevala work? I've had this idea in mind for a long time, seeing as even though a massive game like Skyrim took place in a province that was heavily inspired by Scandinavia, Nordic settings don't seem oversaturated at all. Are they unpopular for a reason?
>>
>>53711809
Nordic settings are and will remain popular.

Kalevala would make a good game especially if all the damned singing and poetry were the basis for some cool bardic magic.

Celtic stuff too.
>>
>>53711809
Been thinking about a similar kind of setting/campaign. Know any good source to read up on finnish and Celtic mythology?
>>
>>53713148
So we could combine bards and mages into one class?
>>
File: Väinämöinen by Sami Makkonen.jpg (226KB, 486x503px) Image search: [Google]
Väinämöinen by Sami Makkonen.jpg
226KB, 486x503px
>>53713188
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/
>>
File: fghdfgh.jpg (21KB, 240x369px) Image search: [Google]
fghdfgh.jpg
21KB, 240x369px
>>53713195
Fuck yeah. What kind of mage doesn't know how to sing poetry?!?
>>
File: 1489694379183.jpg (1MB, 1810x1293px) Image search: [Google]
1489694379183.jpg
1MB, 1810x1293px
>>53711809
>>
File: ikuisuuden_laakso_by_illves.jpg (558KB, 870x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ikuisuuden_laakso_by_illves.jpg
558KB, 870x1000px
>>53711809
I want to say Valley of Eternity but I'm probably misremembering.
It is Finnish though.
>>
>>53711809
Dominions (strategy vidya) do work.
>>
>>53711809
Settings based in folklore don't get much love because the players actually have to know some of the stories and conventions to get the most out of them. Maybe a little bit of history as well.
>>
The thing about Kalevala as a setting is that it should very much be a village crawl, where these mighty heroes and demigods and whatnot pretty much engage in slice-of-life like peasantry.

The setting itself doesn't provide a lot for big bads, what with Louhi being punched the shit out of by Väinämöinen, but I think I would definitely enjoy the wandering band of heroes interacts with and saves the peasantry deal - at least for a while.
>>
Nordic setting set in the 800's would be interesting. Emphasis on survival skills and navigation, sailing and combat at sea. Make it an alternative-history version of the danish invasion of the british isles.
>>
>>53713195
>>53713576
Reminder that magic was a woman's thing. Male sorcerers were considered unmanly and faggy.
>>
>>53711809
>Would a setting based off of actual folklore like the Kalevala work?

Of course it would. I did it once, loosely based. Turned out to be the best campaign I ever ran.

It does require, like these things usually do, that you do your research and get familiar enough with it that you can make up stuff that "fits in" on the fly. That may be tricky since a lot of the material isn't even available in English. But you don't need to have perfect knowledge of anything, just enough that you can bullshit it and your players can't tell the difference.
>>
>>53724533

Not true at all in finnish folklore. Finland a couple centuries ago was like Runequest, everybody was a sorcerer. There was a spell for everything, and everybody knew at least a couple spells.

In Kalevala itself, there are zero non-magical characters. A big fat goose egg. Even the slaves are magical.
>>
>>53711809
Isn't LOTR based off of Kalevala? LOTR turned out to be the inspirator for everything fantasy, so there's certainly something there.
>>
>>53713195
>>53713576

The word charm comes from carmen, song, and chant (en-) from cantare, frequentative of canare.

So the spell singer thing is also in Latin.
>>
>>53725248
>Isn't LOTR based off of Kalevala?

No.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.