[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Matthew Colville says "certain people" shouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 16

File: index.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
So I am bit confused about this guy Matthew Colville. It came to a head when he went on the official D&D Podcast and was saying some really weird elitist things and random stuff about 4E that just didn’t make any sense to me.

One of the comments on the podcast Facebook feed was “Oh no he is in his Youtube Persona”. So, is this an act or something?

On the podcast -

1. He starts saying that “Certain people” shouldn’t DM games and Tito quickly shuts him down. It sounded like standard elitist BS. Yet this is the guy everyone says wants to grow the hobby?
2. He had this bizarre rambling about why players disliked 4E / compared it to Warcraft because D&D lost players when WoW was big. (I don’t know how you could look at a 4E player’s stack of power cards and cool downs and not see why people compared 4E to WoW.)
3. Colville claims 4E was superior in terms that that it allowed players to truly embrace roleplay and creativity. And apparently shared narrative settings like Forgotten Realms are terrible because they are limiting. (Mike Mearls recently talked about why Forgotten Realms is such a great setting to start new players in and I find myself agreeing with that.)

It was very confusing to listen to and I was wondering near the end if he was simply trying to troll certain parts of the internet? After all, this was the dude that I kept on hearing positive things about. Why would he waste 40% of his time on the official D&D podcast praising the previous edition? Anyone know whats up?
>>
>>53702131

Well I can't say I know anything about this podcast, but I've watched most of his videos. There's some good stuff in there, and some stuff I personally disagree with. He can be a bit of a cunt, and he certainly has his own vision of how things should be and is spreading that philosophy, but there are still some very helpful videos by the guy. In the end, he's human. He's flawed, and he shouldn't be taken as some sort of authority, but if you have the capacity to sift the good from the bad his videos are a decent resource for newish dms or old dms who are looking for a different perspective.
>>
Colville is a hack who thinks all settings should be creatively sterilized to feature the same ethnic and sexual composition because otherwise people might get their feelings hurt.

>>53702131
As to your points:

4E doesn't have cooldowns any more than 3.5 does.

Forgotten Realms is a boring setting dominated by GMPCs so I can see why someone might find that limiting. When every corner is mapped out there isn't a lot of room to create.
>>
>>53702131
He sounds like your average /tg/ shitposter.
>>
>>53702368

So what your saying is, he hurt your feelings because he choose to be politically correct rather than jeopardize his good name in the public square and possibly face repercussions at his office? Guy hasn't done anything nearly as out there as you are claiming, at most he's said don't be a cunt and advocated for commonly accepted morals.
>>
>>53702220
Yeah see that is the weird thing people do see him as an authority.

The first I heard out about him was when a newer player went on the D&D sub asking for help with a DM problem. Turned out the Player wanted to use point buy so he could customize stats that made sense for his character, but the DM wanted to use Colville’s homebrew rolling rules for “heroic characters”. The resulting min maxed character didn’t work out at all and the newer player wasn’t having fun. The only advice that this newer player got was for him and his DM to go watch Matthew Coville’s videos! And only one person mentioned that the DM clearly was already watching those videos because the homebrewed rules were Colville’s rules. So apparently people who don’t even know Colville enough to recognize his homebrew are suggesting him to new players.
>>
>>53702431
And that is the other weird thing about it. He has always claimed to want to grow the hobby base so what was up with the talk that "certain people" shouldn't be DMs?

Every bad DM I have encountered always thought they were best DM ever. So implying that certain people shouldn't be DMs is only going to weed out the uncertain people (who in my experience end up being really good DMs).
>>
>>53702583

Didn't you just shift goalposts? Or was he saying that racists shouldn't be dm's basically?
>>
>>53702431
Sorry, I didn't know Turtlerock forced him to go off about how his setting is amazing because Da Empire enforced mixed race families so that's what everyone should do or else someone might be sad.
>>
>>53702713

When did he do this? This I don't recall?
>>
>>53702131
The "Certain People" comment is probably SJW bullshit. He's normally good about keeping politics out of his videos but they leak through every once in a while, and that's basically the side he leans on. A lot of his early videos he goes on about how "anyone can DM", so I can only assume he doesn't mean that there are people who CAN'T, just that if you can't play nice with the identity politics issue of the week you shouldn't because you might give someone badfeels.
>>
>>53702724
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUCi6ZbVxU&t=368

Suck my damn ass right off
>>
File: 1463886307540.jpg (11KB, 392x243px) Image search: [Google]
1463886307540.jpg
11KB, 392x243px
>>53702131
>wanting the base setting to be anything but Greyhawk
Colossal faggot detected.
>>
File: 1436031080320.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1436031080320.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
>>53702819
What a fucking faggot, holy shit.
>>
>>53702678
Maybe? I guess that would make sense if that was what he was going for.

In the podcast it seemed to me like he was implying that non-creative types shouldn't be DMs before Tito cut him off.
>>
>>53702220
This also applies to pretty much all of the so called "authorities" in roleplaying games. Sift through the bullshit and keep in mind the better points these people make in order to complement your campaing.
>>
>>53702855
I think once players get a game under their belt you can use any setting really. It just really kinda helps when you use a setting that is familiar to people who haven't played before. And depending on the group might want to keep it like that. Unless everyone wants wolf companions then Greyhawk is in order.
>>
>>53702891

Yeah I wish everyone took this attitude.
>>
>>53702819
He doesn't seem to be saying the setting itself is right or wrong, but rather that it lets his players have more freedom in character creation.

He's always been a big supporter of giving players creative freedom, it's not something I entirely agree with, but it hardly seems like a politically motivated ideal
>>
File: mimic.jpg (183KB, 701x700px) Image search: [Google]
mimic.jpg
183KB, 701x700px
>>53702855
>not liking Dark Sun

Fuck off.
>>
>>53702131
Considering that certain people are bad at certain things it only makes sense.
You wouldn't want some old lady doing 80mph in a school zone because she has cataracts and thinks its the highway, you wouldn't want a deathly sick person cooking your food and spewing boogers and slime all over it would you? So why let some idiot ruin your fun by instead having a fun medieval rp just have some scat rape rp because they're too autistic to keep their fetishes out of D&D, its the same reason why good D&D groups are hard to find, some people are just fucking dumb, you have to be a sheltered fool to not accept that.
>>
>>53702878

You think this is bad? He is so bad he dedicated entire video to defending new Ghostbusters movie
>>
>>53703221
Did you watch the whole video? Because he's using his example to demonstrate exactly that point.
>>
>>53703318
Lest we forget: Matthew Colville's "Ghostbusters & Fascism"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv9oeHd6oPM
>>
Most people who DM shouldn't. It's a pretty mentally taxing job, and it requires a mix of preparation and improvisation that a lot of people lack, as well as a strong imagination and the interpersonal skills needed to convey it.
>>
What do you guys think of Drunkens and Dragons?
>>
>>53703300
Colville seemed (to me) to be saying that non creative people are not good DMs. All the bad DMs you are describing probably all think they are good creative DMs. They are not going to listen to Colville and think he is saying that they shouldn't be running games.

The absolute best DM I ever encountered was a person who felt they weren't creative enough to be a good DM. But they turned out to be amazing at adapting book campaigns into some amazing stuff. They technically never created anything new but their games were great.

That is the type of person who is going to listen to Colville as a authority and decide "Yeah I am not creative enough to be a DM".

So yeah again I wish everyone would take the attitude that there should be no authority for this sort of stuff.
>>
>>53702131
He is right, young people and memesters shouldn't be DMs, neither should edgelords or women.
>>
There are a lot of people who are DMs that really shouldn't be. A good DM is someone who is good at improvising, can make a coherent plan, and has decent interpersonal skills. I think we all have played with DMs who are none of those things.

As far as the stuff about 4e, that's a long and complex road. The surest answer to anything regarding the success or failure of 4e was that it was very different from 3rd edition, and you either liked or disliked that.
>>
>>53702583
>what was up with the talk that "certain people" shouldn't be DMs?
I've believed this for 15 years. There are people who are just not temperamentally suited to running a game and will make the whole table miserable.
>>
>>53703983
I have dealt with many of those types and it was never an issue of them not believing they were creative enough. Their overreaching with creative ideals is what made their temperament not well suited for DMing.

Colville's comments on the podcast are not going to weed any of those people out. They are probably going to weed out people who can run a hell of a vanilla 5E game out of a book.
>>
>>53704126
Creativity comes in different forms

The DMs who I've found to be the worst are great at making stories, and fucking awful at having those stories interact with players, resulting in horrendous railroading. Whereas the best DMs have the sort of fast and loose creativity necessary to come up with great setpieces on the fly
>>
I suppose my own recent history with D&D is effecting my stance on this.

Last two games as a player must have had a combined 200 hours invested in world building and custom homebrew and about 2 hours of knowing the actual 5E rules.

If I had to pick perhaps I would be happier with a bit less DM "creativity" and a bit more general competence at running a game table.
>>
>>53704218
Yeah see all the railroading I have recently been dealing with is making sure that what the PCs do doesn't interfere with the glorious narrative experience the DM sunk all his time into. Nothing fast and loose about that experience.
>>
As long as you don't end up in a that DM thread and completely ruin your players experience, you're probably fine. If you can't meet that bare minimum level of quality, you probably should learn how to be a better DM before you ask people to spend their time listening to you.

You'd have to have a pretty significant mental disability to be completely incapable of learning how to play pretend with your friends. I didn't listen to the podcast but I'm guessing Colville the "certain people" Colville was referring to were people that haven't learned to DM well. Not people who are intrinsically incapable of DM'ing.
>>
>>53704492
>I didn't listen to the podcast but I'm guessing Colville the "certain people" Colville was referring to were people that haven't learned to DM well.
How do you learn to DM well without some time as DM?
>>
>>53704613
Spending time as a player and/or looking up advice should be enough to at least not turn off your players from the hobby.

DM'ing is the fastest way to get better sure, but it's not the only way, and it's only the small fraction of people who don't have the temperament to DM decently after simply learning the basics of the system.

Also this advice is more important when you're DM'ing for strangers/newcomers. If you're DM'ing for your friends they'll probably be more patient and naturally agree with your DM'ing style.
>>
>>53702431
>at most he's said don't be a cunt and advocated for commonly accepted morals.
i invite him to play a game of dark heresy with me, that should teach him about ethics in games
>>
>>53702891
>This also applies to pretty much all of the so called "authorities"
-End Statement-

He's just a dude who's done this before. His words carry more weight than my own, but he is not infallible. No one is.
>>
>>53704270
Exactly my point
>>
>people shouldn't do thing if they're bad at it
>what is practicing
>hang on I need to look like a pretentious twat where's my pipe
>don't play this niche social game
>pls gib monies and watch my jewtube my guy
Sounds like a faggot tbqh.

I liked his ghostbusters video too, what a moronic goofball.
>>
>>53704218
(different person)
I personally think some approaches to DMing are not actually legitimate, and it mostly comes down to this; there's a difference between writing a story and being a DM for a group of players.
If you want to write, then write; don't tell your friends you're gonna DM.

If you don't enjoy the idea of preparing something your players (assuming they're not acting in bad faith or anything) can relatively freely engage with at their choice and leisure, then you're trying to play the game without one of the main pillars that support the TTRPG game experience.

If you were up front about it, very few people would want to play along if you told them you just wanted them to shut up and listen, or do exactly what you want them to do like glorified sock puppets; they're gonna want some fucking agency.
>>
I personally like Mathew Colville. I recommend his stuff to people who want to try DMing, and I recommend his books
They're editting messes because he does them indipendantly, but the story is interesting for a $4 book

People have already said what needs to be said
He's just an old DM who likes 4e and political correctness. He shouldn't have tried to say some people shouldn't DM and it's a good thing he was shut down before he said anything really bad or elaborated.

And if you're new enough to TTRPG that you're unsure of how well you can DM you probably weren't listening to the official D&D podcast.
>>
>>53702131
>Certain people
Blacks?
>>
Yea I'm sure people looking to improve their storytelling game wouldn't be watching the official YouTube channel of the largest franchise of said genre.

You sounds like a dumb cunt.
>>
>>53702131
>Mike Mearls recently talked about why Forgotten Realms is such a great setting to start new players in
Got a source for that? I'd like to hear Mike's thoughts.
>>
>>53702131
Colville is trash.
his opinion only matters to redditors and hipsters who jumped on the wagon with crit role and other youtube 5e shit streams

its bad GMing
shallow Storytelling
Hollow fun
and encourages a weak, form over function approach to to the hobby.

for everything he gets right, he gets 3 things wrong and slathers them in bullshit attitude and youtuber snark.

dont get me started on him as a "writer'
>>
>>53702131

Most of the mechanical shit he loves about 4E is the stuff that really ruined it for me.

Minions, level-based magic item quotas, and perfectly scaling monsters. As much as the powers feel like a computer game, the fake sense of progress is even more MMO-ish. You're level 20 so now you can fight level 20 orcs that are functionally identical to level 1 orcs. They might as well be palette-swapped.
>>
>>53702855
>Not the OD&D implied setting
>>
>>53702819
>>53702878
>>53703221
Yeah he occasionally drops hints about being a massive SJW/feminist.

I always assumed it was because he was either a wizard virgin or autistic.

You gotta remember the communities he operates in are very cucked poor bloke.
>>
>>53705559
Minions were a bookkeeping shortcut (do you really need to track HP on a monster meant to be one-shot?), magic item quotas is a math necessity later relaxed with the addition of Inherent Bonuses.

The ease of palette-swapping that you dislike is ironically one of 4e's strengths. It's very easy for the DM to refluff a dragon into a devil or whatever by tweaking its powers, and the players aren't going to notice unless they're very observant. You also generally never reuse monsters across tiers without adding/subtracting powers to compensate, so your example level 1 orc with his free standard action on dying might be getting standard actions when bloodied and making saving throws to keep standing for as long as he can instead of dying at level 20.
>>
>>53704823
You have to go back.
>>
>>53702131
But certain people shouldn't DM, being creative is part of being a DM along with a million other things.

Why did you make this thread OP?
>>
>>53702131
Reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with elitism, and that if you oppose it you are the cancer killing academia, art, and tabletop roleplaying.
>>
>>53705831
To bait. It's obvious from his language that he expected /tg/ to be upset by what he said.
>>
>>53702806
Why are we acting as if making someone feel bad is a dumb reason to call someone a bad GM? That sums up 100% of all That Guy threads.
>>
>>53703368
I'm shocked people like this are living on the same Earth that I am. It's like I'm looking at a parallel world or something. Like how can anyone believe that shit?
>>
>>53705950

He really is retarded or worse; he actually believes in shit he is spewing.

>As a GM I don't know if I'm having fun. When my players tell me they had fun then I know I had fun as well.
Really nigger? You don't know what you are feeling for 4-8 hours? If I decide to cut breasts from women and butcheecks from men for 4-8 hours and then I tell you I had fun... will you say you had fun as well or will you tell me to find a different gaming group?

>You need to conform to your players and their mentality.

Hell no. RPGs and social interaction is based on compromise. You either meet in the middle or you don't hang out with people who are egocentric.

>starts talking about it is fine when people play Arabs in Viking country (uses a "you have a friend with middle-eastern ancestry that would like to play an arab"). Then he contradicts himself and say people shouldn't play idealized version of themselves. Double standards much?
>>
>>53705793

SJWs tend to be incredibly American-centric in their view of race and culture. Which is probably why he thinks some empire would have to have a diversity experiment for their to be culturally diverse countries, instead of it happening naturally as a biproduct of conquests, empires, and shifting borders like in real life.
>>
>>53705797

I think you missed my point. I understand that minions are a bookkeeping tool. But you can easily use the same mechanics for killing them with low level monsters in 5e without breaking the game in the slightest. The difference is that in one edition, you feel like your increasing numbers are actually increasing relative to your enemies.
>>
>>53702713
Ha, holy shit. This isn't a published setting, is it?
>>
>>53703757
>The absolute best DM I ever encountered was a person who felt they weren't creative enough to be a good DM. But they turned out to be amazing at adapting book campaigns into some amazing stuff. They technically never created anything new but their games were great.
>That is the type of person who is going to listen to Colville as a authority and decide "Yeah I am not creative enough to be a DM".
Isn't Colville only using premade adventures too? So that's kind of contradictory to his videos if he really turns away people who would do the exact same thing as he's doing.

That being said, after reading the thread I still have no idea what he actually said or who he thinks shouldn't be a DM.
>>
File: 1434435358152.jpg (110KB, 600x857px) Image search: [Google]
1434435358152.jpg
110KB, 600x857px
>>53702131
>1. He starts saying that “Certain people” shouldn’t DM games
He's not wrong. There are some people who are just shit DM's.
>2. He had this bizarre rambling about why players disliked 4E
IDK, not sure if his ramblings were correct, because there's no way in hell I'd sit through an entire podcast.
>3. Colville claims 4E was superior in terms that that it allowed players to truly embrace roleplay and creativity.
Can't say he's wrong. The combination of re-fluffability, and every class being playably good allowed essentially any concept that didn't include true flight before epic-tier to be played, no matter how silly.
> And apparently shared narrative settings like Forgotten Realms are terrible because they are limiting.
Again, I have to agree. Giant shared megasettings are great fun to read about in wiki-form, and movies are starting to do some interresting things with them, and they make GREAT Vonnegut novels, but they add almost nothing to a GAME and detract SOOO much.

Sounds like he's sort of a dick, but not wrong.
>>
>>53705559
>You're level 20 so now you can fight level 20 orcs that are functionally identical to level 1 orcs.

Not exactly true. Higher level creatures are assumed to have access to stronger effects. You _could_ scale up a level 1 orc to be level 20, but you'd basically only do that to show that you can.

As an aside, this is also sort of a silly complaint to make about 4e but not all other D&Ds. At least 4e gives you the option to diversify the level 20 orc barbarian; what would he do in AD&D? 3.5? 5e? Sure, you could homebrew stuff for him, but 4e has that shit built in, any homebrew you make is on top of that.
>>
>>53705559
Goddamit this, as someone who started out playing 4th edition its so mechanical its painful to actually play
>>
>>53706569
>only 4e allows for internal customization of monsters
I realize you may hate PF, but the fact is that the system for quick upgrades to a variety of things for any given monster exists in every single bestiary. You have access to slow upgrades too.

Cherrypicking asshat.
>>
>>53705009
>old DM who likes 4e
You are either an old DM or like 4e, never both.
>>
>>53702131
He's someone with opinions on the internet. Taking him at his word is stupid.
>>
>>53706230
Nigga you just made sense
>>
>>53706367
Yeah, I guess I am. You can plug in low level enemies if you wanted in 4e too, so nothing's changed?

Minions are for time saving. If you really want to track exactly how much damage your 10 HP fodder is taking, just don't use the minion system? It's not a required part of encounter building by means.

If you were complaining minions as a mechanic didn't mesh well with the flow of gameplay then sure, a lot of people agree and that's why many DMs don't use them or use variant versions (two-hit minions, etc.). Arguing that they detract from the feel of 'growing stronger' is a fundamental misunderstanding of their intended purpose though.

And besides, what shows more clearly that you have grown stronger when you go from taking several attacks to kill orcs to one-shotting them? Unless you care more that it says 'minion' on the stat block that you can't see than the DM telling you that you've just mown them down like grass.
>>
>>53706610
I... what?

I know you can add templates to creatures in any D&D.

I'm saying that picking out 4e for making a level 20 orc just an inflated level 1 orc is silly, when as a baseline, it's the least true for that edition of D&D.

Admittedly, PF at least added rage powers (not that they are very interesting imo but w/e).
>>
File: justright.png (407KB, 600x652px) Image search: [Google]
justright.png
407KB, 600x652px
>>53702220
When the first reply hits it perfectly and we can all just go home.
>>
>>53706723
Only if you agree on some of his worst opinions, maybe. See >>53702819
>>
>>53706723
>but if you have the capacity to sift the good from the bad, communism and nazism can be decent resource for for a different perspective

There is no reason to dig through a mountain of shit for a few good points.

He is a bigot and contradicts himself a lot. everything is fine as long it helps his narrative. When it doesn't then you are in the wrong (and should feel ashamed of yourself) and you should do things his way.
>>
>>53702819
Oh shit. I watched his first video. I thought that it was a great way to introduce someone to gm'ing.

It's too bad he went full sjw retard.
>>
>>53703456
Underrated.
>>
>>53702131
I was watching his series on DMing, it was pretty cool at first but then I noticed some pretty hard case sjw shit being dropped in here and there. I bailed pretty early, he got grating.
>>
>>53706569
>As an aside, this is also sort of a silly complaint to make about 4e but not all other D&Ds.

None of the other D&D editions have that problem. In them, you're expected to fight radically different things at different levels. Creatures that don't share templates and have nothing to do with each other, and usually are barely balanced at all (which is a benefit here, it makes them feel more like a real threat, something you have to watch out for because it doesn't scale to your level).
>>
>>53706218
>Really nigger? You don't know what you are feeling for 4-8 hours?
Obviously I'm not him, but I personally have a feeling of duty/guilt to make a fun night for everybody. This would weigh on me if I didn't know if I was providing this.

Of course, I'm also a egotistical narcissist drunk on my own delusions of grandeur, so at a certain point I kinda feel if you're not having fun with my genius setting and plothooks then it's your own plebby fault.
>Hell no.
It's funny because you're going against conventional /tg/ wisdom here. The GM is the one supposed to provide an interesting game for the players. To be honest, if their idea of fun just doesn't match up to yours, it's better not to GM for them.
>starts talking about it is fine when people play Arabs in Viking country
It can be done very well. See: The Thirteenth Warrior.

Being too ethnically self-important to abandon your own race is a dumb reason though.
>>
>>53703706

That guy is chill as fuck, I love him.
>>
>>53707518
>None of the other D&D editions have that problem. In them, you're expected to fight radically different things at different levels.

4e gives you the option to scale things up. Nobody is forcing the DM to make you fight green/brown/red skinned orcs at 10/20/30.

You are not expected to do that. Just because you can doesn't mean you must.
>>
>>53707305
Watch it cunt. #3.
>>
>>53702131
>1. He starts saying that “Certain people” shouldn’t DM games

This is correct. Some people are shit DMs.

>He had this bizarre rambling about why players disliked 4E / compared it to Warcraft because D&D lost players when WoW was big. (I don’t know how you could look at a 4E player’s stack of power cards and cool downs

I don't think you understand what a cooldown is. You realize that your definition a 3.5 wizard is basically a huge stack of 'cooldowns'?

>Colville claims 4E was superior in terms that that it allowed players to truly embrace roleplay and creativity.

He's kinda right? Every class was viable and full of different mechanics that could be swapped around and reimagined to pretty much run any concept, and make it feel like you're playing that concept.

>And apparently shared narrative settings like Forgotten Realms are terrible because they are limiting.

They are extremely limited, that's true. Terrible is subjective, but I have to agree.

>Why would he waste 40% of his time on the official D&D podcast praising the previous edition?

I don't understand the question. Why wouldn't he? The podcast is about D&D.

Anyway, if that guy in the OP image is this dude he looks like a douche, but he sounds like a pretty correct douche as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>53707518
>In them, you're expected to fight radically different things at different levels.
Yeah, that's why you don't have stat blocks for level 20 orcs in the MM of any edition, you gotta scale them up yourself.

>Creatures that don't share templates and have nothing to do with each other, and usually are barely balanced at all (which is a benefit here, it makes them feel more like a real threat, something you have to watch out for because it doesn't scale to your level).
Really, man? A broken CR system is now an advantage because you can destroy your players by accident?
>>
>>53707618

You misunderstand me on 2 points.

1. Why would you run a game for players when you as a GM aren't having fun? Your goal is for players to have fun but also for you to have fun. If you aren't having fun you shouldn't waste time on GMing, preparing the game etc.

2. I don't mind the Thirteenth Warrior. I actually like that movie. I don't like him being a douchebag saying it is fine for a middle-eastern dude to play arab in viking setting and you as a white male should broaden your horizons and not play characters that are idealized versions of youself (meaning white, male, your own set of morals, beliefs etc.)
>>
>>53702131
>He starts saying that “Certain people” shouldn’t DM games

And he would be absolutely right. There's actually probably plenty of people who shouldn't do a lot of things.
>>
>>53702819

This is the same guy who has uploaded a video ,saying people who hate the new Ghostbuster movie are facists.
>>
>>53707941
>you as a white male should broaden your horizons and not play characters that are idealized versions of youself (meaning white, male, your own set of morals, beliefs etc.)

This sounded suspicious, so I just checked the video. He doesn't say this at any point.

Actually, while there are a few things he says that I disagree with, a lot of his points and the general spirit of this video are pretty good. He at no point says you need to have a genderdynamic racefluid world in your D&D. In fact, he literally says that the standard western fantasy world is fine if that's all your players are interested in and all they know. But the video is about introducing new people to the game and making them feel included, and, you know what, I've found that a lot of his points are pretty spot on.

It IS true that most first time or even second time players run characters that look and act like idealized versions of themselves. It IS true that a great way of integrating basically any person is having a Mediterranean sea analogue where your port cities can have characters from anywhere pop up. It IS true that trying to get new players to get fully into character and put themselves aside to play characters/settings that they're not really familiar is hard, and often a gradual process.

Also, I believe someone up above was complaining that this guy made 'forced racemixing' or something like that part of his setting? Fuck me, no he didn't. I'm glad I actually took the time to watch this rather than take the word of you niggas at face value, because you're misrepresenting what he said completely. He said that an empire repatriated citizens from around he world - SOMETHING REAL LIFE EMPIRES HAVE DONE ALL THE FUCKING TIME FOR THE SAME REASONS HE CITES RIGHT IN THE VIDEO.

Jesus, all you niggas is just looking for someone to be salty at.
>>
>>53705187
Been meaning to ask some people. Are his books worth picking up? If anything i'd want a print copy, but if they're crap then meh.
>>
>>53708193
>Jesus, all you niggas is just looking for someone to be salty at.

Did we watch the same video?

He talks about gender, ethnicity, and how they differ from our view of it and our historical view of it.

>Also, I believe someone up above was complaining that this guy made 'forced racemixing' or something like that part of his setting? Fuck me, no he didn't.

In this same video he mentioned he made space romans that decided to kidnap children in relocate them around the universe. Empire collapsed and 1,000 years passed. Now everyone is any possible skin color and any possible culture. This is prime example of forceful mixing of cultures to fit his narrative.
>>
>>53708193
>SOMETHING REAL LIFE EMPIRES HAVE DONE ALL THE FUCKING TIME FOR THE SAME REASONS HE CITES RIGHT IN THE VIDEO
Can you share some examples?
>>
>>53703706
He's awesome. I watch both and I think I like his advice more. I've found both helpful, but Hankerin's mechanics like timers and stuff really move crap along. Wish I had it earlier on. Actually had my first group spend like an hour scouring this damn mausoleum for some loot or some shit. If I'd had something pushing them on, we'd be done with that shit.
>>
>>53708463
>He talks about gender, ethnicity, and how they differ from our view of it and our historical view of it.

So? Pretty much all his points are in how this relates to getting new players to play a game of D&D.

The only real historical point he makes is that there were places in history where cultures and ethnicities mingled constantly. And he's right.

>In this same video he mentioned he made space romans

I'm going to assume you meant fantasy Romans here.

>that decided to kidnap children in relocate them around the universe

I'm going to assume you meant setting here.

>Empire collapsed and 1,000 years passed. Now everyone is any possible skin color and any possible culture.

Actually, he says that this means ethnicities are distributed more like those in a modern nation. He very explicitly says that there are regional cultures that have redeveloped after the big fantasy Romans fell.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Firstly, forcibly moving populations around for reasons like this is something real life empires have actually done, and secondly, it simply doesn't matter. As a contrivance for new players that means they can make any kind of character from anywhere, it works fine. It doesn't fit a narrative, it serves a game purpose, and that's fine. Stop getting your panties twisted over literally nothing.
>>
>>53708473
Not the same dude, but Assyria under Tiglath-pileser is well known for doing this, and probably being the regime that made it 'fashionable' to do this in the Middle East for a long period after that.
>>
>>53702431
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>53708448
No.
>>53708919
Not him but fuck off retard.
>>53708463
Related to nothing, but making your setting fit your narrative is exactly what you're supposed to do. What, do you want his setting to fit your narrative?
>>
>>53703386
>hurrrr
>People not wanting a series rebooted to make anti-men shit is fascism

Fucking moron. People may have been more keen if it had been a sort of spinoff of the original ghostbusters with an entirely new crew. But regardless Paul Feig's directing is horrible and he actually wanted to put a scene in the movie where the villain somehow possesses all the cops and the military all at once and has them do a dance off. Instead he had to put it post-credits
>>
It feels like he made the whole Ghostbusters video just to troll people, and it seems like it's working.
>>
>>53708448

I enjoyed his books. I like stories with little to no exposition, when characters suffer plausible consequences for their actions, and settings that feel just-different-enough from other high fantasy tropes without being over the top.

On the other hand, pretty much all of his characters are established in the world, and experienced adventurers. When they suddenly show off a powerful skill with no prior exposition, it can seem ham-handed and frustrating. I like that I had to collect little hints and pieces of Heden's past adventures to get a full picture, but those adventures were basically your stock-standard "Save the world D&D plot for a party of 4 to 6 12th level adventurers," and there's a lot of bullshit magic artifacts and extraplanar hijinks that are involved in those.

I like the interpersonal drama from the, "Our party failed, broke up, and all kind of hate each other" stuff. But there's also, "I have my share of a dragon's hoard, my friend has a sword that can level armies just sitting around and I was also once besties with a leader of interdimensional beings capable of leveling cities."

So, you know, YMMV. I liked them, but I wouldn't have considered $10 for 2 books a huge waste if I hadn't.
>>
>>53713298
shoppy.jpg
>>
File: shoppy.png (73KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
shoppy.png
73KB, 700x700px
>>53713335
I am going to sleep.
>>
>>53708542

It is literally nothing, which is why he didn't need to even bother making it explicitly a thing. "There was a big multiethnic empire so any sort of race is viable anywhere" is literally all that needs to be said.
>>
>>53713479
So he put some more thought into it.
>>
>>53707780

Or if you aren't playing an edition with ballooning to hit numbers, you can use low level orcs at any level because they can still do something and your players, having fought these orcs before, can have a reasonable expectation of how powerful they are and the satisfaction of being able to kill them more efficiently. Otherwise it kills verisimilitude and makes the game feel like a treadmill (incidentally the reasons MMOs are shit RPGs).
>>
>>53713591

For literally no reason except he thinks he's the most clever DM alive.
>>
>>53702819
>What's wrong with any of this? Apart from his profoundly punchable face, his justification for a multi-ethnic empire is pretty cool, and Malazan is a pretty damn good-
>"There's something else we need to talk about, and that's gender"
No.
>"Odds are, if you're watching this, you are male."
LISTEN UP YOU RODENT LOOKING FUCK
>>
>>53713813
Or he finds the whole dynamic interesting.

Look I think it's a pretty hamfisted implementation but the basic idea's fine. There's no need to get your political knickers in a twist.
>>
Man, am I glad all these politically-inclined SJWs and /pol/acks and whatever else stay to pollute 5e and other normie games and hopefully never invade the stuff I enjoy.
>>
>>53713792
You CAN fight lower level enemies in 4e. Hell, one of the DM advice blurbs in the 4e DMG2 is how to use low level enemies against a higher level party.

Also, because of the tier system 4e uses (heroic/paragon/epic) it makes sense internally that between tiers how enemies function changes. Once your hero is a literal half god it makes sense that a single orc (who isn1t similarly a demigod) is only worth statting out as a minion at best, but most likely a swarm.
>>
File: a wizard unbounded.jpg (161KB, 1102x382px) Image search: [Google]
a wizard unbounded.jpg
161KB, 1102x382px
>>53702220
>I've watched most of his videos
Same. He's clearly thought a lot about his own personal philosophy behind tabletop gaming and it shows.

His videos are well edited, and useful. Roughly 70% of his material will help just about any person new to the hobby or trying to run a game.

I disagree strongly with several of his ideas, for example about fudging dice, speed of loot & progression, coddling players, toning down things that could be offensive, but that's ok. GMing styles and gaming groups shouldn't attempt to appeal to everyone.

I couldn't care less about his personal views because they don't affect me in the slightest. I recommend his videos for anyone who wants to develop their own style and improve their GMing.
>>
>>53702131
I don't know anything about who this guy is.

1. Correct. Some people shouldn't DM.
2. I think it's funny that people say 4e was wow, but 5e has the exact same power/cooldown system, and gets a pass.
3. 4e is superior in almost every way to 5e, aside from apparently marketability.
>>
>>53714328
well said

as someone once put it
intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function
>>
>>53714411
As some faggot no one cares about put it, yes.

It's a shitty platitude for people who want to feel smug, and ironically these are usually the people most complacent in their ideas.
>>
>>53702131
It really puts me off how he keeps staring at the camera with a stern authoritarian look. You're running games about faires and goblins lobbing magic missiles at each other, cunt. Chill.
>>
>>53714328
>I recommend his videos for anyone who wants to develop their own style and improve their GMing.
This. I hope he becomes more popular.
>>
>>53714411
Don't glorify logical dissonance.
>>
>>53713816
I mean, even there what he basically said was "don't creep out girls with your rapey magical realm", which is good advice.
>>
>>53714369

It's all about language choice. You call them "daily powers" and people experience anal discomfort. If you say, "once per long rest" it's okay. Arguably there's some semantics in there about the resting being required, but it's a small point.

Hell, 5e could have gotten away with per-encounter powers if they had a third resting duration like "catching your breath" defined as going for 5 minutes without any threat.

Same deal with the language about battlefield roles - "Striker" and the like, IIRC. In D&D you can't call a spade a spade, it has to be a "spade of colossal excavation." You can't call them squares even if everyone is playing on a battle mat and lined posterboard is $0.50 a sheet, they have to be "feet" or "yards."

On one hand, it's asinine as fuck. On the other hand, if anybody should know how autistic and steeped in traditional language their audience is, it should have been WotC
>>
>>53714484
so this is the power...of butthurt...woah
>>
>>53714498
What if my magical realm is involves creeped out girls?

>>53714487
Wish granted!
>>
>>53714599
Why ask such a question? You have transcended such petty concerns.
>>
>>53713369

How fortunate we are that taste and aesthetic are objective, and everyone is issued an infallible rubric by which to judge it.
>>
>>53714498
The way he frames it as "oh, girls here, better rev up that rape!" is ridiculous though.
>>
>>53714713
It has sparked countless fits of autism.
>>
>>53714498
>>53714599
>>53714756
As someone who runs a game where 2 out of 6 of my players are girls, they are surprisingly ok with there being actual rapey Porcs in the setting. YMMV
>>
>>53702131
Setting aside everything else, something that should be noted about this faggot is that his 'certain people' comment refers not to the incompetent, but actually to white males who aren't willing to bend over backwards to include polygendered mulatto otherkin in their games. He's a hardcore SJW, that's what he was shilling about.
>>
>>53707618
>The Thirteenth Warrior.
Citing books/stories that focus on single exceptional characters and have stories dictated by a single person as examples for things in cooperative group activities is kinda stupid.
>>
>>53714918
Dunno about you but I've always found it pretty easy to integrate every player's brand of special snowflake.
>>
>>53708542
>Actually, he says that this means ethnicities are distributed more like those in a modern nation
You mean lots of poor ethnicity people in rich nations but not the other way around?
I doubt he designed that.
>>
>>53714976
The fuck are you talking about.

Saudi Arabia and Qatar, sure, but not Britain or Japan or all the rest. Those countries actually have a semblance of wealth equality.
>>
>>53714556
After all these years you retards still can't grasp why people hated 4E so much that absolute cesspit named Paizo managed to thrive besides it.
That would be mind-blowing if it wasn't so sad.
>>
>>53715069
Explain.
>>
>>53714328
So you're saying he can help you think outside the box, so to speak?

:^)
>>
>>53714822
Can't speak for women, but his other point about catering for those of different races or nationalities while at the same time talking about how most peoples characters are better versions of themselves was funny to me, as my Chinese pal made his character an outsider from the far eastern lands before he knew anything about the setting.

He wanted to be that "better version of himself" and that included the part about coming to a different land and dealing with the culture shock. If we catered for him and made it so Chinese-based peoples were common throughout the world it would have taken away from his experience rather than added.

I know this is one example, but still, I'm sure it would be a common factor throughout most 1st gen immigrants.
>>
>>53715021
>Saudi Arabia and Qatar, sure, but not Britain or Japan or all the rest. Those countries actually have a semblance of wealth equality.

Seriously, you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, please stop posting.
>>
>>53714943
Dunno about you, but banning special snowflakes ultimately forced my players to make more well rounded characters because suddenly they needed to actual add some depth as they could not fall back on a "unusual race + 1 quirk" char for distinctiveness. Limitations force ingenuity and all that.
Also this makes them integrate into an actual background, meaning they need ties to the setting which improves immersion and allows better integration of narrative hooks.

>>53715021
I'm talking about how modern ethnicities are distributed worldwide.
All the shitskins, spics and goatfuckers have minorities living in the first world because gibmedats, while third world shitholes remain very homogeneous.

To keep this related, and because I'm to busy to watch shitty advice videos:
What's his reason for fudging dice? I feel like if you do that your players will just lose trust in you ultimately, which kill all tension. DMs should be arbiters and referees, not plot-gods.
>>
>>53708044
Like him posting his opinions on the internet where impressionable teens might thing they're correct.
>>
>>53715148
I think one of his players has a character from faraway land anyway, so I don't think it's really mutually exclusive.
>>
>>53715087
People want different types of character ability too be mechanically distinct. By categorizing so broadly into at-will/per-encounter/daily, 4E removed much of these distinctions. Paizo did everything else wrong, but doubled down on adding a sub-module for every little fart of a power source, ergo its popularity.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>53710227
>>
>>53715189
You must go back.
>>53715190
Never had to do that with my players. And different race doesn't mean shallow.

Characters work fine when not tied to the setting, in my experience. In fact, I prefer it when they aren't. It gives me a lot more to work with.
>>
>>53715216
>how dare people disagree with me
>on the internet, no less
>>
>>53714328
>I couldn't care less about his personal views because they don't affect me in the slightest.
That's pretty reasonable of you. I feel bad for everyone else who is missing out on his dnd channel due to things that don't actually matter.
>>
>>53715279
>And different race doesn't mean shallow
Doesn't have to, but too often does. Why bother rounding your character when you're alreade "the dragonborn that loves setting fires" or the "the honourable kitsune"?
Compare to being "the dude who loves setting fires". Feels lackluster, so you add more and more background until you end up with a person and not a crappy stereotype/anti-stereotype.

> It gives me a lot more to work with
Elaborate? Do you mostly run exploratory campaigns?
>>
>>53714870

I think he just meant people like you.
>>
>>53715329

t. polygendered mulatto otherkin
>>
>>53715372
He's possibly ITT. Why do plush white virgins in roleplaying become sad jowly whiners so often? I've met possibly dozens of people just like him IRL
>>
>>53715216

>caring about stupid teens
Fucking normalfags go back.
>>
>>53714585
>le butthurt :D:D:D

Fuck off summerfag.
>>
>>53715305
>but too often does
I like talking through my players' characters at creation so this is a non-concern for me. It seems easier to go through what a player really wants to do (i.e. in a non-shit way), than it is to limit what they want in the hopes that they'll shit out a diamond.

I don't actually play DnD, but given we're talking about human races as well I guess that doesn't matter. But in my experience people don't use race as a crutch any more than they use any other archetype as a crutch. The big gruff blacksmith, or the foppish duellist, or the fat rich dude -- those're people I've all played with in my earliest games, and they ain't exactly better than "the Arabian stranger".
>Do you mostly run exploratory campaigns?
That's how it ends up going. I run intrigue sort-of-sandboxes. All my players end up being foreign spies, or foreign mercenaries, or foreign aristocratic louts. They all have ties back home, sure, and sometimes with each other.

For some reason it makes it easier for me to approach things as if each character is going to make decisions based on who they are, instead of what they are. They're strangers in a strange land so they have few prejudices (obviously some or all might be racist or whatever, depending, but they won't already be in one side or another). For some reason, backstories tied into the immediate setting feel...flat, while everything's appreciably vague if you keep it foreign.

desu character is more important than facts. Like Ged has a bronzesmith father and a witch aunt and grew up in a village. He was very gifted as a kid but also a giant prick, and he once used magic to save his village. That's it. And Anton Chigurh has literally nothing.
>>
>>53714822

plot twist: they're playing the rapey pig orcs of the setting
>>
>>53702131
4e didn't have WOW cooldowns at all and 3e fucked over roleplayers by having rules for every little thing, and power cards were for fast reference. Jesus christ you got me to reply to a thoroughly-debunked shitpost 6/10.
>>
>>53715662
>4e didn't have WOW cooldowns at all
How's that willful ignorance working out, anon?
>>
>>53705559
>You're level 20 so now you can fight level 20 orcs that are functionally identical to level 1 orcs.
Did you even read the fucking book? Don't bother wasting your time answering.
>>
>>53706230

I guess he heard about Alexander purposeful marrying his countrymen to women in conquered regions to mitigate possible future revolts. Greek thing though, the Romans had other tactics to integrate foreign lands into their empire.
The in-game reason he stated there had the same reasoning as the historic example and the out-of-game reason he stated was to allow any race in any region.

While he surely drops the occasional SJ bs, not at this point, there are other examples for it.
>>
>>53715734
You're trying to say that enforced interracial breeding programs to the sake of increasing 'diversity' isn't keeping in line with his politics. You must realize how insane you sound.
>>
>>53715621
> It seems easier to go through what a player really wants to do (i.e. in a non-shit way), than it is to limit what they want in the hopes that they'll shit out a diamond.

Well, I generally tell them my pans for the campaign and those interested in the premise will abide by it, the others will just sit out. We're a big circle of friends so alternatives are there.

>That's how it ends up going. I run intrigue sort-of-sandboxes.
Well, to each his own, our groups generally prefer more personal stakes for their characters.

>desu character is more important than facts.
I don't know Ged and Chigurh is a plot device (not meant in a bad way) that deconstructs the merciless killer. In that way he might actually be closer to your average DnD murderhobo than other characters from media, remorseless and unstoppable until an unlucky die roll fucks your day up. Sounds like my average game of shadowrun.
>>
>>53702131
He's pathetic.
>>
>>53702819
why does he need to record his fat face in 60 fps?
>>
>>53715734
>Alexander purposeful marrying his countrymen to women in conquered regions to mitigate possible future revolts
>conquered countries have to deal with their daughters and sisters being raped by their assigned macedonian boyfucker husband
>all the kids grow up seeing Sodomonidas Rapeadopoulos taking all the women and treating them like shit
>dodge rape attempts by these foreign pederasts themselves until they're old enough to have a woman, but there are none, the macedonian invader rapists have taken them all
>it won't fuel further revolts

Lel.
>>
He's correct, of course. Some people shouldn't DM games.

Like him, for example.
>>
>>53715934
this
>>
>>53715903
Well his empire fell apart completely when he died with little lasting impact beyond a dynasty in Egypt, so yeah.
>>
>>53715702
WOW cooldowns are based on time, 4e cooldowns are "Fuck off you're not using this until you take an actual breather or put your ass to bed", which is more in line with class abilities in Wizardry.
>>
>>53715888
So you can see twice as much of him and his wisdom in the same amount of time.
>>
>>53715836
>Well, to each his own, our groups generally prefer more personal stakes for their characters.
They do create their own personal stakes. People automatically do it, which is helpful, because it's blindingly impossible to make good conflict without it.
>Chigurh is a plot device
And also a character. Same with Judge Holden, if you want a more egregious example.

Ged's from Earthsea.
>>53715958
But none of that happened due to popular rebellion, so, nah.
>>
>>53715190
>What's his reason for fudging dice? I feel like if you do that your players will just lose trust in you ultimately, which kill all tension. DMs should be arbiters and referees, not plot-gods

Basically this is limited to narrativ-heavy games. If your players have an own agenda and drive the story forward themself instead of a huge load on the GM, you can totally ignore this.
>>
>>53702368
>Forgotten Realms is a boring setting dominated by GMPCs

Maybe for your shitty gaming groups anon.
>>
>>53716232
It is a really bad setting anon.
>>
>>53716297
Kill any non-enemy above level 10, and the setting greatly improves
>>
>>53716232
>he likes Forgotten Realms
>calls others shitters
>>>/reddit/ is just around the corner my man
>>
>>53715832

'enforced interracial breeding programs for the sake of avoiding revolts cutting of supply lines' is how I would frame it. The antique Greeks surely didn't giv a flying fuck about diversity itself.
The result is the same as what SJW agenda wishes for, but his reasoning didn't include the usual "because morality dictates" SJW bullshit, but instead some tangible goal.

When I first watched this vid, my first reaction also was a strong "wooow, where are you going here!?", but after watching this segment I gave it a pass. A VERY close one though, I admit. So I can still understand resentment against it.

>>53715903
Yeah, it doesn't sound like a good idea. Not sure how they worked out the flaws in this plan, but as far as I know they were able to keep going and conquering, so their supply lines must have worked somehow. But could have been for entirely different reasons and maybe even despite it. Further research for this specific needed on my part.
>>
>>53716525
Ignoring the writer and his political views is ignorance. You know why he included it. Don't be a fool.
>>
>>53716948

Nah, it's fine. It's not like I'm going to get indoctrinated or something like that. I simply don't like to ignore valid points, no matter where the political views of a content creator lie. It's a fine line to walk.

I tackled this specific topic (the RPG one, not the SJ one) myself recently with a setting I'm creating and to be honest... writing a past empire with high mobility into the setting's history was the best reason I could come up with to justify many different races in one area. I toned down the ethnic variety a lot though, at least outside of trading routes and hotspots. So every player could still choose any race anywhere but they might be the only one for hundreds of miles and maybe have to face social tensions - I don't believe in the "we are all happy with each other" approach which, as it seems, Colville prefers. Kinda boring imho.
>>
>>53715243
>By categorizing so broadly into at-will/per-encounter/daily, 4E removed much of these distinctions.

Except there are so many variances and subtypes within the at-will/per-encounter/daily thing that 4E did the exact opposite of what you say it did.
>>
>>53708919
A sound refutation.
>>
>>53715190
>All the shitskins, spics and goatfuckers have minorities living in the first world because gibmedats

No, they have minorities living in them primarily because they were exported there as slaves or as cheap labour.

And not every nation is the US, where its ethnic minorities have remained locked in poverty and squalor. Don't apply the US' shitty standards to the rest of the world.
>>
>>53718250
There is little point of arguing with people who say stuff like that.

They looked at 4e and threw it in the trash without playing it. Especially after they really started experimenting with the tools they'd set out.
>>
>>53714556
>You can't call them squares even if everyone is playing on a battle mat and lined posterboard is $0.50 a sheet, they have to be "feet" or "yards."
Enforcing square grids for combat was one of the worst things WotC did.
>>
>>53718530
>okay, so, this system uses squares
>i don't want to use a battle map, though
>well, the game tells me a square is five ft
>hmmm
>...uhhh i guess there's no way to figure out ranges and distances then, i'd better give up

???
>>
>>53718503

You can look at an RPG, hate it from first glance and have it be perfectly valid. D&D 4E and FATAL are just two examples.

I don't even like 3.X, but no RPG had filled me with so much instinctive, immediate disgust as 4E. It was as if every single aspect of it was designed to imitate videogames or board games, which is like the last fucking thing anyone should do.
>>
>>53714556
>You can't call them squares even if everyone is playing on a battle mat

Of course you fucking can't, it takes you completely out of the god damn game. You might as well start calling your character "my guy" while you're at it.
>>
>>53718601
>Sees rules laid bare as simple, easily understood formulae
>Reacts with instinctive, visceral disgust

And this is no small part of why 4e caused a massive asshurt schism. Some people just completely freaked out when they could peek under the hood and see how all the moving bits worked. Which is why 5e went straight back to verbose obfuscation.
>>
>>53718584
>blast areas are measured in squares
>they are also square
>not round-ish or conical
>it is possible to translate this into non-square-based 3D space in a way that makes sense
>>
>>53718601
>I don't even like 3.X, but no RPG had filled me with so much instinctive, immediate disgust as 4E. It was as if every single aspect of it was designed to imitate videogames or board games

Just another example of you not knowing what the fuck you're talking about. You just looked at the standardized language of the game and got buttflustered over nothing.

4E does everything 3.5 and 5E do better. A lot of the stuff in 4E works exactly like it does in those other editions, the language is just more efficient and standardized. The big difference really between these editions is that 4E offered real options and balance for classes.
>>
>>53718709
>>it is possible to translate this into non-square-based 3D space in a way that makes sense

Yeah it kinda is actually.

If a blast covers a standard three by three square, it's just fifteen feet in all directions. The overall square shape on the board is just an abstraction.
>>
>It worked for Alexander so it's perfectly fine!
Ah yes, the incredibly long-lasting Alexandrian Empire that totally didn't begin to crumble before he even died.
>>
>>53718755
Diameter, that is.

Radius is obviously half that.
>>
>>53718773
If you're still talking about moving ethnic groups around, it worked for Assyria, Babylon and Rome too.

IIRC the Mongolians tried it as well.
>>
>>53718819
Britain too.

Britain did a lot of this in its imperial days.
>>
>>53718755
That works OK when it's a small blast, but it falls apart when you note that large blasts still hit the corner squares, which round ones won't do.
>>
He's right on every count though, except maybe the first one
>>
>>53718714
I love 4e and you are entirely wrong

4e and 5e are both byproducts of 3.5. 5e does what 3.5 tried to do and failed at doing, 4e does what 3.5 actually does except it's designed to do that so it isn't a broken mess. By which I mean 5e is a dungeon-crawling game where being overwhelmed by large numbers is terrifying and you remain understated in power unless you're a wizard. While 4e is all about high-flying action where you kick gods in the face at high levels
>>
>>53718847
The squares are just abstractions dude. They don't have 'corners' in that way. A character in a square is somewhere within that five feet.

In a non-squared system, a character standing within the last five feet of twenty foot blast is hit. In a squared system, it's the same, but for simplicity's sake you're breaking down each five ft into one square.
>>
>>53718930
>While 4e is all about high-flying action where you kick gods in the face at high levels

You do this at high levels in 3.5 and 5e too, though.

The only huge thing that differentiates them is the "you remain understated in power unless you're a wizard thing." Which to me reads as "3.5 and 5e are unbalanced games."
>>
if someone says "certain people shouldn't GM" IMO the person who said that goes right to the top of that list.
>>
>>53718966
Well how about this one, then?

Blast and Burst are not space-filling. If I toss a Burst 3 down a hallway that's got a cross-sectional area of one square, it will still only go three squares in either direction, as opposed to the 171 squares it should (burst 3 creates a cube 7 squares on a side. 7 cubed is 343, minus 1 for the centre cube, divided by two for the two directions).
>>
>>53719002
They are, but in 5e the numbers remain small and it's less unbalanced.

My point is that 5e can do things 4e can't, and that in no way diminishes what 4e can do.
>>
>Combat as Sport
No thanks.
>>
>>53719173
>False Analogy
No thanks.
>>
>>53719087
Are you saying that a tight hallway should squeeze the blast out or something? Because it doesn't do that in any edition of D&D
>>
>>53719087
This is true.

However, to be completely honest, most other systems don't account for this either when giving you ranges, and leave you to figure out how that works for yourself.

Which is fine.
>>
>>53719214
>Because it doesn't do that in any edition of D&D
But it does, my son. Yea, I quoth to you from the most holy AD&D 2e PHB:
>The burst of the fireball creates little pressure and generally conforms to the shape of the area in which it occurs. The fireball fills an area equal to its normal spherical volume (roughly 33,000 cubic feet—thirty-three 10-foot × 10-foot × 10-foot cubes).
Fireballs in enclosed spaces can be hazardous to your health.

>>53719195
What?
>>
>>53719267
Ok, cool. Doesn't do that in 3rd or in 5th. I'm going to assume it's because people either ignored that ruling (I sure as fuck did and forgot completely about it), they found it tedious to calculate out how it was going to fill the space, or because (this is important) you basically couldn't use fireball in the five foot corridors that made up many module dungeons.
>>
>>53719267
>What?
Combat as sport and combat as war is debunked by 4e's own mechanics. Overwhelming alpha strikes are the best way to play.
>>
>>53719337
>five foot corridors
Ten foot. AD&D module maps usually use ten by ten squares.

>you basically couldn't use fireball in the five foot corridors that made up many module dungeons.
Yes. Yer a wizard, utility spells like Stone to Mud, Hallucinatory Terrain, and Wall of Whatever are what you really should be spending your time on.
>>
>>53714328
>fudging dice
Irredeemable cancer
>>
>>53719427
>>53719337
Oh yeah, and forgetting about that space-filling nature means you can't pull off neat traps like the Delayed Blast Fireball Statue from Greyhawk Ruins.
>>
>>53719427
>Yes. Yer a wizard, utility spells like Stone to Mud, Hallucinatory Terrain, and Wall of Whatever are what you really should be spending your time on.

>no, don't play the way you want, play this way.
Yeah, nah. I'll have my magical fireball not deal with physics if it means I can use it more often.
>>
>>53719478
>I want to fireball all day
>but I don't want to deal with the consequences of explosions in confined spaces
Die. I bet if I sprung Greyhawk Ruins W6 on you you'd be all
>waah, why do explosions cause the obviously immensely unstable underground area to cave in
>>
>>53719547
It's a magical explosion. By the text, shit doesn't even have a meaningful pressure wave to it, because a 30 foot explosion should knock literally everyone on their ass, but it doesn't. The only use I can see for the space-filling thing is specifically to get the Spell to do something it probably really shouldn't be doing.
>>
>>53719600
>to do something it probably really shouldn't be doing.
By what logic? It's clearly an intended function of the spell, given that that text has been largely the same since 1974 (1e and OD&D fireballs are actually bigger outside, because their blast radius is measured in tens of feet inside and tens of yards outside).
>>
>>53719600
>>53719267
>No Blast Pressure
>Somehow still expands to fill the same amount of space.

That's not how it works. If there's no blast pressure, then there is nothing to carry the flames out beyond whatever its original area would be. It would just hit the walls and fizzle instead of being forced out until the blast wave dissipates.
>>
>>53719727
By the logic that Gygax didn't fucking know what he was doing. See >>53719731 If he's going to make his spells use physics, then he better get that shit right.
>>
>>53719731
It doesn't have NO pressure you illiterate, it has LITTLE blast pressure. That's how it manages to only go 20 feet while causing somewhere between 6d6 and 10d6 damage, setting on fire anything that's easily combustible, and melting soft metals like gold, silver, copper, etc.
>>
>>53719781
It would have to have quite a lot of pressure in order to fill that space. Otherwise, what would happen is exactly what happens from 3rd edition on: the sphere hits the wall and does not have enough energy to expand outward. It conforms to the shape of the area with insignificant expansion outward.
>>
>>53719867
>It conforms to the shape of the area
That is literally what happens according to this text right here you brain-dead gorilla.
>The burst of the fireball creates little pressure and generally conforms to the shape of the area in which it occurs.
>generally conforms to the shape of the area in which it occurs.
>conforms to the shape of the area
>>
>>53719867
>>53719781
Also, the melting of metals would be mostly due to extreme heat rather than pressure. Now such a sudden change in temperature, even if there is somehow no blast pressure, SHOULD spike air pressure and easily knock everyone prone in the area. Fireball doesn't do that, though. It just makes an area superduper hot for an instant.
>>
>>53719915
Check again
>insignificant expansion

It would expand into its roughly its normal sphere size, minus any place it hit a wall. You'd need a great amount of pressure to retain anywhere near the full 33k cubic feet. Otherwise when it hits the wall it just stops dead.
>>
>>53719981
Hold up, let me correct myself for absolute clarity.
>when it hits the wall, it would bounce off the wall and dissipate, having its energy spent.
>>
>>53719981
>You'd need a great amount of pressure to retain anywhere near the full 33k cubic feet.
I don't think you know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>53720033
Fireball is an instantly expanding sphere that, somehow, has extremely high heat and a negligible shockwave. This is patently impossible, but let's entertain it. With a negligible blast wave, there is actually very little to expand into the space. In an actual explosion, the extremely high pressure air wave is what fills the space and gives force to explosions. However, Fireball doesn't have much of that at all, meaning that it is essentially localized heat.
>>
>>53702131
>I'm going to pretend I dislike this guy due to a 4 month old podcast while making a super long thread about him guaranteed to send more people at his videos

crafty
>>
>>53708473
Soviets did it.
The US did something similar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_boarding_schools

I suppose kidnapped Christian boys forced to convert to Islam and become an elite fighting unit is kinda similar.
>>
>>53720933
>Soviets did it.
They moved poles and ukrainians east into siberia and russians west into their lands.

The chinese are doing it right now. They're literally swamping tibet and xinjiang with hans.
>>
>>53708448
You can get both books on kindle for ~$6. They're not bad, The setting would be fun to play a session in.
>>
>>53714490
That's not logical dissonance.
>>
>>53719267
>spell called fireball
>doesn't always form a BALL of fire
What the fuck?
>>
>>53714976
ethnic makeup != socio-economic distribution
>>
>>53720994
The moved a large number of Caucasian ethnicities around for the sake of Russian-izing them too.
>>
>>53714918
Ibn Fadlan's expedition counted several dozen men. That's hardly "single exceptional"
>>
>>53721379
There's also this particular oddity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

Though a common joke during Soviet period was that there's no actual jews there
>>
>>53708499
>>53707646
Glad to see other people appreciate his advice, his room design videos really helped me with encounter building
>>
>>53714498
I disagree
It smacks off he is not only the only good man syndrome i find all of these sorts.
He needs to talk down to me and all men because he's the only not autistic that knows you need act in a way that makes sense.
Do you really believe any actual autistic that would inject their MR bullshit would be dissuaded in any way? let alone stop because some rat faced little sniveler told him that he's the thing that keeps this nerd hobby from being filled with women that will never fuck him.
Fact is from any angle you look at it it's a position of conceit and moral grandstanding.
I personally can't stand that sort of thing.
If someone injects MR bs noticeably, outside of a consenting group they are likely socially adept, and i really do have to question how they got a group with a woman in it in the first place.
It only serves to condescend to the people who aren't retarded.
And i ain't going to take that shit form a little pencil dicked faggot like him
>>
>>53722155
Parses a lot more like
>I really shouldn't have to say this but some of you idiots have no concept of how maladjusted you are, so here's some shit you should consider not doing so you can pass as socialized.
Also your persecution complex is showing.
>>
>>53720486
>when you succeed on your sense motive check
>>
File: really.png (134KB, 372x334px) Image search: [Google]
really.png
134KB, 372x334px
>>53722209
>>I really shouldn't have to say this but some of you idiots have no concept of how maladjusted you are, so here's some shit you should consider not doing so you can pass as socialized.
That doesn't change anything.
Like i said before, fundamentally those people are so inept that it is not going to change anything.
Let's think about it logically, these people are so inept they have to SHOVE their sexuality into a public place where it isn't needed.
It literally changes nothing, all it does is make me think he does not have a lot of sense and in the long term he is effectively hurting his cause when you think about it.
The only thing it really achieves is showing people that he cares.

>Also your persecution complex is showing.
>persecution complex
>I do not like people moral grandstanding
>that gives me a persecution complex
what
>>
>>53714369
4E was supposed to come out with it's own online gaming system like roll20 or fantasygrounds, which never materialized. So a lot of that marketing was wasted.

It also had reverse engineerable characters which meant you could actually move characters from campaign to campaign without issues, which was something cool that people did in the early years of DND.

In the end, 4E managed to get a lot of people to try other systems outside DND, so the whole industry was improved by the effort.
>>
I'm a massive conservative, I've picked up on Colville being a liberal in his mindset, doesn't mean the guy still isn't giving good community advice. Is he the be and end all? Fuck no, but we can't be cunts to anybody who tires to stand up and give up some form of community
>>
File: area of effect 1e.png (129KB, 562x220px) Image search: [Google]
area of effect 1e.png
129KB, 562x220px
>>53719727
>1e and OD&D fireballs are actually bigger outside, because their blast radius is measured in tens of feet inside and tens of yards outside
I can't speak for OD&D, but that's not the case with 1e.
>>
>>53702131
>Certain people” shouldn’t DM games
He's absolutely right. Some people aren't cut out to be DMs

>players disliked 4E / compared it to Warcraft
I don't play D&D, so I don't know. But I had a short read through the book when it was released and definitely felt like it was trying to cash on the Warcraft money.

>settings like Forgotten Realms are terrible because they are limiting
I 100% agree. I've never had even the slightest inclination towards playing someone else's setting when it so clearly despises all forms of creative thinking on the part of the GM and would rather just tell the name and hobbies of every single peasant living in the world in a long, autistic list that no one non-retarded would bother reading.
>>
>>53719267
Wait. So a Fireball, was a 5 mile wide explosion in 2e?
>>
>>53725154
How in the fuck did you get that? Radius is 20 feet, 4/3*pi*r^3=33510.3 (1 d.p.) cubic feet.
>>
>>53721072
>rugby ball
>isn't round
Unacceptable.
>>
>>53725202
I honestly don't know, I should probably sleep.
>>
>>53702543
>people do see him as an authority.

He talks loudly and in a commanding , authoritative voice to disguise his lack of actual knowledge. Most D&D players are subs & cucks with little social experience so respond to that very well.

This is also why Matt Mercer, Chris Perkins and various other random obnoxious YouTube personalities like LindyBeige are seen as authorities on subjects they know nothing about.
>>
>>53725528
It's just a persona, anon. I doubt he has any articulate reason for it.
>>
>>53719478
>no you can't use your king to kill three pawns a queen and a lost monopoly shoe
>WOW OKAY GOOD JOB FORCING YOUR PLAYSTYLE ON ME
>>
>>53718503
>>53718250
>4E circlejerking
why do you keep echoing how great your system is? Reality proves you wrong.
>>
>>53718679
>remove uniqueness of resources
>people hate that so much they'd rather play Shitfinder than 4E
jeez Einstein, maybe do some focus testing

>>53714556
>It's all about language choice
Nah, that's the newest excuse 4rries found for themselves. If your precious resource systems are so unique, then how does a psionic daily differ from a wizard daily differ from a fighter daily in its fundamental implementation?
>>
>>53718930
You completely misunderstood what 3.5 tried to do. 3.5 neve wanted you to do high flying action, it wanted you to win combat before it even begins. 3.5 wants you to act strategical and manage resources, 4E is about using flashy in combat maneuvers and using meta-abilities like Marks and Taunts to get high damage dice.
>>
>>53725528
>Perkins
>YT celeb
That's reaching a bit. Chris really wasn't into YouTube for, like, ten years, and as lead designer, you'd think he has a pretty good idea how his systems work. He's not just a content writer, unlike certain unmentionables.
>>
>>53702131
>I got buttblasted by Matthew Colville
ok

do you want Chuck Tingle to write a book about it?
>>
>>53706230

Yea this shit is weird.. My current character is a lightly toasted dark haired guy from the mountains near a desert, because the map had a desert and I was like 'I'll be from over there.' The dm hadn't said people from there were tan but whatever, they are now.

I also gave him a short of Scottish/Irish accent because dwarves live in the mountains and it makes sense the humans there would have been influenced.
>>
>>53702131
Well, to answer your obvious b8 points with b8 of my own:

>'Certain people' shouldn't DM
He's right. Have you ever heard of 'That DM'? Some people just never learn.

>4e compared to WoW
Maybe I'm misreading what you said here, but based on your broken ass English, you're agreeing with him

>4e is a good good game and Forgotten Realms is shit
4e is shit, so you get a pass here for disagreeing with him.
As for the second part? Well, Forgotten Realms is contrived shite that wants to be Tolkien AND Howard/Leiber and thus fails like the I'll conceived stew of mismatched ingredients it is. Also, DMs should be inspired to create their own world's and settings. Pre-made settings in D&D are like slave morality- True Übermensch transcend them.
>>
>>53702131
some people really shouldnt be DMs
>>
>>53705599
>he hasn't figured out where the OD&D implied setting fits on the LGTSA-era Great Kingdom map
get on my level
>>
>>53718834
Right up until the Sepoy Rebellion of 57
>>
>>53703798
Women can be great dms, you fucking retarded shit head
>>
>>53725759
>3.5 wants you to act strategical and manage resources
Then why add classes incapable of strategic actions and having no resources to manage?
>>
>>53702131

1) I don't know how you could visit /tg/ for any length of time and not conclude that "certain people shouldn't DM games" and if you don't agree with this you are a fool.

2) DND 4E was absolutely an attempt to access WoWs market and reach out to the new generations by streamlining everything, and resembling a MMO. It had two very major upsides which keep it alive to this day and otherwise was the worst version of DND.

3) DND 4E had two strengths and only two strengths. It was very balanced, moreso than any other version of DND, and it had fast, streamlined and exciting combat against mechanically solid enemies. Both of these owed their existence to the odd tabletop MMO vibe. The problem with 4E is that it traded LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE to achieve those.
>>
>>53729153

>The problem with 4E is that it traded LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE to achieve those.

Such as? The non-combat in 4e was stronger than 3.5 (No ability for spells to just flat replace skills was a serious improvement)
>>
>>53729153
>2) DND 4E was absolutely an attempt to access WoWs market

Wouldn't that be 3.5? What with it literally having a splatbook for that, as well as a Diablo one?
>>
>>53729153
>The problem with 4E is that it traded LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE to achieve those.

What exactly did it trade in?

Mechanically it's basically the same as 3.5, but with more streamlined, less obfuscated language. Skill checks were still the same, ability checks were still the same, saving throws were still the same (though not as punishing). For the most part the way spellcasters work between editions is very similar, too, there's just standardized terminology for stuff like "can be used again after a long rest" (i.e. in 4e this is a Daily power, and you know it can be used again after a long rest because you know it's a daily power, rather than that having to be included in the spell/ability text).
>>
>>53729153
>DND 4E ... resembling a MMO
This shit again. In what way? There aren't ANY MMOs with similar mechanics.
>>
>>53729256
~Well ummmm ummmmm UMMMMMMMMMMMM UMMMMM UMMMMM i can't use diplomacy to godmod NPCs.
>>
>>53729153
How in the name of Pig-Rapist Mohammad the Liar is making mechanics NOT an inconsistent trainwreck a bad thing?
>>
Wow so the thread has nothing left but 4E apologists who think it was the best thing ever, hmm? No faults, ever removed aspect was calculated and flawless?

>>53729178
>>53729256
>>53729310
>>53729257

4E streamlined and removed things for ease of access, most glaringly they gutted mostly everything that wasn't related to combat.

The game focused on combat and it did combat extremely well, but the design suffered from extreme tunnel vision on combat.

They were so focused on combat, that there was an actual gear curve in 4E.

Outside of combat the game was hollow, mechanically and thematically.

>>53729197
3.5 predated World of Warcraft...
>>
>>53729455
You're just stomping around in a tantrum not even giving a simple example, and three of your points apply to 2e. Off topic posts are not allowed outside of /b/.
>>
>>53729455
Yadda, yadda, heard it before. What out of combat rules did it miss SPECIFICALLY?
>>
>>53729480

>You said things I don't like, I refuse to comprehend anything you say and you're off-topic

The gear curve is a great example you tremendous mong.

The gear curve is essentially the designers saying "screw your story, screw your setting, our precisely calculated monster mechanics are balanced unless you give the players EXACTLY this much gear"
>>
>>53702131
For the point of some people shouldn't be DMs, I can agree wholeheartedly.

>Way back, playing an oldfag system
>Roll up an evil "black mage", specializing in the sort of dark magic that you see in northern medieval folklore, curses, confusing the senses, getting people lost in the woods, that kind of thing.
>Black mages, after gaining a certain amount of power, get a familiar, which in system is not common to all mages and is actually a minor demon bound in the shape of a small animal that serves the adept.
>The demon makes a certain "witch mark" on the adept, and feeds off of the spellcaster's blood to survive. This mark is invisible and generally only known to familiar and the adept.
>DM not ultra-familiar with system, looking over the rules
>Haha, the withcmark is on the tip of your penis!
>Every time you need to feed your cat familiar, it's sucking blood from your dick!
>lololololololololol Ive got all the maturity of a 10 year old.
>>
Eh, he has some valid points. I don't think just anyone could be a good DM and his criticisms of 4e are understandable. My largest gripe about him is that his style of DM'ing is less about the characters and more about the world around them (political machinations of neighboring kingdoms, large-scale combat, managing a keep, etc).

Additionally his personality makes him seem obnoxious, the videos of his sessions with coworkers are just bizarre.
>>
>>53729531

If I remember correctly, most out of combat stuff, you know, the part with the actual RP and adventure, was replaced with skill challenges.

Additionally, most classes lost all or nearly all their non-combat abilities. Casters in general pretty much lost the ability to use magic outside of combat.
>>
>>53729545
>What are Inherent Bonuses?
>What is magic item treadmill of 3.X?
>>
>>53729600
>the part with the actual RP and adventure
Does 4E have rules that stop you roleplaying? Do you need rules for roleplaying? Or does it come with a squad of ninjas ready to murder you if you RP?

>skill challenges
Literally a mechanic for "that's quite enough rolling"

>Casters in general pretty much lost the ability to use magic outside of combat.
That's what rituals are for
>>
>>53729669
>Does 4E have rules that stop you roleplaying? Do you need rules for roleplaying?

Then why have a system at all? Why not just freeform everything?

See I can ask loaded questions too!
>>
>>53729717
>Then why have a system at all? Why not just freeform everything?
To have a mechanism for adjudicating your actions. 4E does this well enough.

Again, how does 4E inhibit your ability to roleplay?
>>
>>53729600
>If I remember correctly, most out of combat stuff

Can you actually name mechanics for out of combat stuff that D&D 4e doesn't have and other editions do have? All the core mechanics for resolving, say, diplomacy or exploration or larceny or whatever are the same in 4e as they are in 3.5.

>Additionally, most classes lost all or nearly all their non-combat abilities. Casters in general pretty much lost the ability to use magic outside of combat.

Except that's wrong you mong. Especially the thing about casters being unable to use magic out of combat. There's literally nothing stopping a wizard from using dimensional door, for example, outside of combat, and there are tons of rituals and feats specifically designed for out of combat situations.

Have you even played the system? Or looked at it in detail?
>>
Back when I played 4E my arguments were more coherent, but I haven't really thought about it in a while now.

I can't keep up with this "I require precise examples that the game was flawed" when you ignore the few I did remember.

But if the 4E defense force is just going to screech at me with almost random stuff like >>53729616 and >>53729669
pretending at all that they were a sensible answers that addressed those flaws, well this isn't worth my time.
>>
>>53729748
muh... muh shell... ummmmmmmmmmm muh shell. ummm ummmmmmmm

lift my fridge ummm ummm ummmmmm
>>
File: dude what.png (111KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
dude what.png
111KB, 233x233px
>>53729600
>Casters in general pretty much lost the ability to use magic outside of combat.

I guess I must have imagined all those times my players worked around my challenges with cantrips, rituals, or just creative usage of normally offensive spells. Or by turning into a fucking bird, fuck druids holy shit.

By the time I realized letting our druid have a bird as her animal form was basically a "make this challenge trivial" button it was already too late to retcon. Never doing that shit again, I can't believe I was ever that retarded.
>>
>>53729936
>when you ignore the few I did remember.

Your examples weren't ignored, they were refuted.

Stop pretending you ever played the game. And stop pretending you're doing anything but scarpering off with your tail between your legs, after having been thoroughly trounced. "Hurr this isn't worth my time." I dunno man, getting force fed some humility seems like it should be worth your time.
>>
Yeah I am surprised that there are so many players who had positive experiences playing 4E here.

4E worked out for me when there was a really solid GM and group of players. But that is a rare occurrence.

In most 4E games I played combat just dragged on and wasn't very fun. If it was a shorter session it turned into a single combat encounter that took more than 2 hours to finish. That usually meant 1 hour for every other aspect of the game.

I keep on hearing about how adding 4E combat mechanics to 5E is a good thing and Coville seems to be the source of that as well.

I guess that would be fine if you were a decent DM but frankly haven't played with many of those. I don't want to deal with a baby DM trying to shoehorn 4E combat mechanics into 5E.
>>
>>53730201
>I keep on hearing about how adding 4E combat mechanics to 5E is a good thing and Coville seems to be the source of that as well.

He's not the only one. I'm not really up on reading these... web DMs I guess, but The Angry DM gets posted about his "what can we take from 4e" shit a lot too. His points are mostly about encounter/monster design.
>>
>>53725238
Goddamn right.
>>
Yeah so clearly you would have to be fucking idiot who has never played a TTBG to not know there are people whose shitty personality and hygiene means they should never DM a game.

I don't think Colville was talking about those people given the context of what he was talking about.

After listening to the podcast again Colville seems to be saying that "non creative" types shouldn't be DMs.

From the context he was talking about people who run games from the book from a non custom setting with vanilla rules.

Personally I have never had a terrible experience with a DM who plays stuff from a book and uses a shared narrative setting.

The vast majority of the terrible DMs I have ever encountered have been people who considered themselves to be creative geniuses. They also didn't give a fuck about the player's experience.

Literally the last game I played the DM must have spent hundreds of hours on a custom setting, races and homebrewed rules and he had no idea how basic combat worked in 5E.

Given the context of what Colville was saying NONE of the bad DMs I have ever encountered would be the "certain people" he thinks shouldn't DM a game.

Instead if a person does a campaign out a book and uses a pre existing setting that is the type of person Colville seems to saying shouldn't DM a game.

I dunno maybe I had a unique experience but "creative types" who use custom everything have always been the ones to ruin my games.

Maybe it's different with everyone else.
>>
>>53730201
All the people I know who had this problem didn't use the MM3 math fix.

Yeah, having a math fix for monsters is really retarded for a rpg, but well. When you use it, the game is actually very good and the combat is pretty fast. We never had a 2 hour long combat.
>>
>>53730397

Which would be fine but now I have seen inexperienced DMs out there who have never run a vanilla 5E game trying to run a 5E game with 4 combat mechanics.

I am probably just irritated about it personally because I had a decent 5E game ruined by homebrew rules 2 sessions in.
>>
>>53730562
I am legit Jealous.

As a player I don't think I ever had a combat in 4E last less than an hour and I never had major encounter that lasted less than 2.
>>
>>53730606
In my last three sessions, minor combat lasted 10/15 min, (I'm the striker and I downed the big bad extremely fast) and major combat lasted for about 30min, including 5min of RP time where we successfuly sinked a small ship full of mook.
>>
>>53730657
Are you sure you aren't playing 5E? That sounds like a 5E game.

Sounds like you got a great DM.

I am legitimately shocked that a player can have that experience using 4E.

Every single 4E game for me was the same. Fun to DM and a nightmare to try to be a player.
>>
>>53730779
Oh, yeah, we played 5e too before.

The combat were LONGER, and way less interesting. Do you know how fun it is to say for the sixth time "I attack" in a combat? It's not very fun.
>>
>>53729574

The issue was that he wasn't talking about maturity or being massive dipshit.

He was basically saying that if you want to run a game in a preset narrative setting like Dark Sun you aren't creative to be a proper DM.
>>
>>53730817

I dunno. I never fought in a white space in a 5E game so as a player I was generally trying to use the environment or special attack actions mixed in with regular attacks.

It's so weird to me that any 5E combat could possibly be longer than 4E. The numbers just don't seem to allow it.
>>
>>53730934
>I dunno. I never fought in a white space in a 5E game so as a player I was generally trying to use the environment or special attack actions mixed in with regular attacks.

This is such a fucking false dilemma holy shit.

5e is a LOT worse than 4e about being able to improvise actions. I played a rogue for 10 levels, and I basically never ever had a reason to not just attack. Every time I tried an improvised action I got like "2d6 damage and he's tripped" at the very, very best.

In 4e I at least have the improvised action table so I'm guaranteed to not suck when I try something that isn't a basic attack.
>>
>>53730934
>>53731011
Yeah, same in my game.

In 5e, I could try to be creative and shit, but at that point we're pulling shit out of our asses. The system doesn't try to facilitate it at all.

In 4e you can already do more at level 1 than a 5e martial at level 5.

Also, the combat can be very fast. You just need to know what you're doing (but same with every edition of d&d, you lose a lot of time when the wizard search a good spell to throw during his turn) the mooks go down extremly quickly, unlike 5e when a group of monsters can stay for several turns. And for the big bad, really they go down as fast as in 5e, and I'll say sometimes faster, because it's easier to build a very powerful striking machine in 4e than in 5e. In 5e you don't have a lot of wiggling room.
>>
>>53713816
> "Don't get rapey in game with someone, especially not a girl, because the last thing our popularly growing hobby needs is for that stereotype to come back"
>/tg/ is offended by this.
>>
>>53730397
>His points are mostly about encounter/monster design.

Well, yeah.

When you really get down to it, monster and class design were the only things 4e did different to 3.5. All the stuff like daily shit, encounter shit, etc? That's all pretty much present in 3.5, the system just tricks you into thinking it's not there.

The only real changes 4e made were the addition of various abilities non-casters could use to make combat more interesting for them, a fuckton of detail in regards to monsters, and a very different style of language that many players were unused to.
>>
>>53732630
post the pdf where those "details" appear

go ahead, I will wait right here.
>>
>>53730606
Generally speaking, 4E combat is super fast once everyone knows what they're doing and is planning their move during everyone else's turns.

It's definitely slower for new players, or for newcomers to the edition, as it gives all classes so many options. I've played with a lot of people who legit forget that, as a fighter, they have more options than "move and full attack" and in the first few combats, sometimes the first few sessions, they have to be reminded that they have all these special abilities they can use.

I think half the problem with this, and the problem people had with the idea of this in general, is the usage of the term 'Powers' as a catch-all term to describe stuff characters could do in combat (and in many cases out of combat too). It didn't bother me, but I know plenty of people who took ages to wrap their head around the idea of their fighter or ranger having 'Powers'. It didn't matter that these powers weren't actual magical abilities - they were still like "you hit this dude so hard he falls over", "you jump over this person as you kick them" etc - because the term 'Powers' made people associate these abilities with magical effects. I think this is a big part of the reason why people make the WoW comparison, because they hear that word and they think of fancy magical attacks with particle effects flying out the ass, rather than a fighter gritting his teeth and delivering a blow so raw it shoves aside the opponent's shield.
>>
>>53732690
>post the pdf where those "details" appear

You have to be pretty silly to think 4e monsters weren't full of abilities and tricks compared to those in previous editions.
>>
>>53732778
Like?
>>
>>53732690
Guarantee he's about to call Vancian magic a cooldown system.
>>
File: kobold-01-new.png (27KB, 581x439px) Image search: [Google]
kobold-01-new.png
27KB, 581x439px
>>53732794
...You want me to scan the monster manual or something?

Jesus Christ, it's commonly accepted that 4e monsters had a ton of abilities and triggered powers designed to make sure that they didn't just feel like huge bags of hitpoints.

Here, have some random statblock I found on google. Significantly more interesting than a standard kobold warrior in 3.5.
>>
>>53732848
It's not exactly a cooldown system, but it's exactly as much of a cooldown system as the at will/encounter/daily stuff.

You use a powerful spell you can only memorize one of at the moment, and bam, it's now not available again until you can prepare it again during a long rest. It's functionally the same it. The difference is that with Vancian magic each individual spell and every spell has this 'cooldown' period, if you really want to call it that, whereas in 4E the at-will stuff can be used constantly.

Neither system is superior to the other for magic, imo. I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to transplant Vancian magic into a 4E game.
>>
>>53733102
>exactly as much of a cooldown system as the at will/encounter/daily stuff
It isn't. The hallmark of an MMO-style cooldown system is multiple cooldown lengths proportional to the power of the spell with on casting restrictions beyond variable time. Everything in a Vancian system has the same restriction of 'cast once then memorize it again' regardless of power and they all require outside material components.
>>
>>53733814
>Everything in a Vancian system has the same restriction of 'cast once then memorize it again' regardless of power

So it's a less elegant cooldown system.

By the way, why do you seem to think cooldowns are an MMO thing? They existed before MMOs.
>>
>>53730474
Nah uncreative types really shouldn't run games. Dunno why they even bother desu,
>>
File: You Have To Go Back.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
You Have To Go Back.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>53702431
>he choose to be politically correct rather than possibly face repercussions at his office?

Liberals are the new fascists.
>>
>>53734190
>Liberals are the new fascists.
This is why lobotomy is not a good cure for paranoia.
>>
>>53702543
>So apparently people who don’t even know Colville enough to recognize his homebrew are suggesting him to new players.

That rambling mess, and then you end with a strawman fallacy.
>>
>>53715291
Right. He's super reasonable about it too "hey you may not agree with me but let's pit aside our ideological differences and have some fun gaming together." Like ok, what a Stalin this guy is.
>>
>>53734322
Actually Stalin was pretty much like that except with politics instead of gaming.
>>
>>53733873
It's not less elegant, it's something entirely different. The core conceit of 'more powerful abilities take longer to refresh' doesn't exist in Vancian magic. Having limits on spellcasting doesn't inherently make a system cooldown-based. As for cooldowns being from MMOs- more people are familiar with them in that context than any other.
>>
File: 28-1.png (371KB, 502x501px) Image search: [Google]
28-1.png
371KB, 502x501px
>>53734225
>you have to be paranoid to hate liberals
>this is why Trump won the election
>>
>>53734461
Oh no, don't misunderstand me. You have to be lobotomised too.
>>
>>53734470
>you have to be lobotomised to not be a liberal

This 1984 fanfic writes itself.
>>
>>53734494
You're saying conservatives are gonna lobotomise people so they hate the liberals? I mean I hate them as much as the next guy, but I think that's a bit much.
>>
>>53734361
>The core conceit of 'more powerful abilities take longer to refresh'

Not that guy, but this isn't the core concept of what a cooldown is.

A cooldown mechanic is just a time gap required between usages of abilities. If all abilities require the same amount of time before they can be readied for use again, they're still 'on cooldown', so to speak. You don't have to have varying times to make a cooldown a cooldown.

That said, neither system uses a true cooldown mechanic, as neither is primarily time based. Functionally they often result in characters from both systems being able to use their full abilities again after a period of downtime, but the important thing is that the downtime happens. Preparing spells in 3.5 or 5e and regaining powers in 4e both require a specific type of downtime defined in D&D as a 'rest'. You can wait however long you want, but if your character doesn't rest, they can never ready these abilities. Neither mechanic is a cooldown in the strictest sense, but if you're broadening the definition enough to refer to one as a cooldown mechanic, then the other is as well.
>>
>>53734461
You do have to be pretty paranoid (and stupid) to lump over 50% of the population into the exact same box simply because they think of themselves as more 'liberal' than 'conservative'.
>>
>>53734673
And also think they resemble Fascists.
>>
>>53706611
I have over 20 years of GMing experience and believe 4e was the single best edition of D&D.

13th Age is the best D&D-alike.
>>
>>53734673
over 50% of the world is retarded, so not even him but that claim isn't that overtop. You should try harder.

You are in the lower 50% of the world.
>>
>>53735528
As the highest authority on such matters, I can confirm that he is indeed in the lower 50%, along with you.

Not that it matters to me. From my perspective, all you sub 99.999 percenters really may as well off yourselves.
>>
>>53702131
Colville's just so very far ahead of you in DMing experience that you can't even understand him when he's not breaking things down into tiny bits for him. It's alright. Not everyone has decades of gaming experience, anon.

But those of us who do like Matt Colville.
>>
>>53702131

>someone tells me he made a good video series on how to start DMing
>first fucking video: "USE GOBLINS, EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE, SO YOU CAN EASE PEOPLE IN WITH THAT"

Yeah sure matthew, you fucking idiot. More and more generic trash. Fuck I am so glad I went to Dungeon Crawl Classics and never went back.
>>
>>53720486
I wouldn't be surprised if there are gonna be more threads.
>>
>>53735528
>American politics
>"world"
>>
>implying the world doesn't obsess about everything American including it's politics
>>
>>53719002

>balance
shhh
>>53719138
i dunno once you hit level 10+ it gets pretty fucking goofy
>level 14 warrior soloing a beholder

that was a really annoying encounter for Larktarsh
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.