[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me /tg/, what are some of the benefits of feudalism? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1489490610430.png (4MB, 1920x1634px) Image search: [Google]
1489490610430.png
4MB, 1920x1634px
Tell me /tg/, what are some of the benefits of feudalism?

I'm designing a nation where there is a powerful political bloc of both former lords and peasantry who want to return to the old ways, because the new system of corporations is actually more oppressive than feudalism. I need some good arguments for them so that they don't seem retarded. So what re the upsides of feudalism?
>>
File: check.gif (2MB, 366x360px) Image search: [Google]
check.gif
2MB, 366x360px
bumping, i'm interested
>>
>>53683657
>>53683270
>1 post by this ID
>>
>>53683270
Feudalism at least guarantees you a job and a roof over your head.

A feudal lord has a social expectation and personal financial interest in keeping his serfs alive and reasonably healthy, because they are tied to his land and are what he relies on to maintain his wealth/power. Labor isn't mobile, so the serfs you have now are the serfs you'll always have. If they die, you're fucked.

A corporation (particularly in the 19th century model where there aren't really any fair labor practices laws) can abuse its workers as much as it wants. Who cares if they have to work two jobs to afford food? Who cares if they're worked to death in dangerous factories? Mobility of labor means you can just hire more poor people to take their place.
>>
>>53683270
Personal interaction and responsibility. Perhaps the 'nobles' are actually 'superior' and seen as worthy of respect and the role of guidance. If the feudal system is merit based with upward mobility, the 'peasants' might take comfort in having a place in the world and ordered living.

You may consider making the corporation the nightmare of loneliness and displacement from heck. Think Dilbert as happy happy, and Office Space as a goal.
>>
I assume by corporation you mean the old guild system and not some leftist cyberpunk meme. In that case:

>feudalism guarantees sociocultural stability when enforced; there is no uppity neighbour, no keeping up with the Joneses, no corrupt guild heads. The Manor court serves justice. You work only with your neighbours. No foreigners from a town or two over are here to steal your jobs (to be fair the corporate system also organized against this but I'm sure you can spin it)
>land is life, land is love, land is certainty. Fuck the market, you produce and sell locally. Your sons will inherit a (for lack of a better word since I'm drinking and forget the term) leasehold just like you inherited.
>the local Manor lord has a personal attachment to the land and a desire to keep it productive. The guild master just wants your money. This isn't justice, it's a cartel!
>Tl Dr stability, certainty, xenophobia (with good reason, usually foreigners just take your shit), tradition, and communitarianism

T. My useless undergrad degree was in medieval English history
>>
feudalism:

-lazy days in the fields for the peasantry? Probably easy wifing as well
-guild system for the tradesmen. The established workmen all get free apprentices, who detest having to do it
-lower taxes for the bourgeosie, inefficient regulatory system prone to bribery and rule of the wealthiest
-everyone wants to buy into the nobility pyramid scam
-religious king leadership might fool the weakminded
>>
>>53683270
I'm a fan of settings where noblesse oblige manifests as superior martial and magical power being on tap for nobles, but ONLY in defense of their land. Such a system would be fairly stable because the nature of the aristocracy's power is dependent upon ruling well. Having a mid level spellsword in every pissant count or baron and making Knight an actual PC job class would make mundane armies useless for most tasks, which in turn lowers the tax burden.
>>
>>53683270
its cheaper in the long term
>>
>>53683270
With religious feast days taken into account feudal peasants worked far fewer hours than industrial proles, IIRC the Russians had almost 1/3 of the year off.
>>
>>53684276
>lazy days in the fields for the peasantry
This is seasonal. During winter, peasants would be making sure their families didn't freeze, starve, or succumb to disease. During summer there would be fuck-all to do if your family was fed and there was enough wood for the fire.
>Probably easy wifing as well
All women under the age of 45 were expected to be married and pumping out children until they couldn't any more. If her husband died, a woman was given up to a year of grieving time before being married off to another man. It was more like easy husbanding since it hinged on the woman's fertility and not the man's.
>The established workmen all get free apprentices, who detest having to do it
It was not slavery. Being a journeyman was good money.
>lower taxes for the bourgeosie
Only land owners are taxed. Bourgeoisie are renters, like burghers. If their income eclipses their cost of living, they can remain wealthy
>inefficient regulatory system prone to bribery and rule of the wealthiest
Divine right of kings, my dude. The wealthy who have no lineage to fall back on are just jumped-up merchants compared to feudal lords.
>everyone wants to buy into the nobility pyramid scam
Go away, pre-revolutionary France. CAPTCHA threw an image of French road signs at me
>religious king leadership might fool the weakminded
I have no idea what this means. Feudalism inherently ties affairs of state to the church, so why would the king not be surrounded by priests saying that it is by the will of God he rules the kingdom?
>>
>>53683270
As others have said, in a general sense it's very stable.

It's also good for/at creating places where there's quite a lot of distinct areas and you want decentralized rule - an island chain, for example, is quite difficult to rule centrally, but if you just have each island with a lord and they just report to a higher lord or king occasionally it gets a bit more convenient.

Similarly if you've got one province that's a huge mostly-barren desert and a few that are small parcels of prime farmland they'll need to be handled differently, and feudalism is an easy way to do that.

And as others have said, nobles having a duty to the peasants is quite appealing, as is the knowledge that you, as a peasant are a part of your lord's resources, and thus a bit valuable in a general sense gives peasants as a group some power, though they surrender some rights, such as movement (and badmouthing their lord) for that.
>>
>>53683270
More governing responsibility. Unlike a congress where power, responsibility, and blame are split up into a thousand blurry pieces, a feudal lord has the power to do stuff. That means when people need him to do stuff, he can; and when he screws up, he can't dodge the blame.
When underlings have a problem, there's no arcane bureaucracy to lock them out of power. They know who to go to, and it's as simple as having a conversation.
>>
>>53683270
When people are naturally born into different layers of society, they know that so are others. So people are less envious and less harsh on people according to social class (noblesse oblige develops, instead of "people without degrees are human trash"), and they receive an education tailored directly to their career from people with a lifetime of experience in it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.