[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever heard of Starfire? I've been looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: sf_logo.png (76KB, 500x100px) Image search: [Google]
sf_logo.png
76KB, 500x100px
Has anyone here ever heard of Starfire? I've been looking for a hex and chit based space wargame and I found this, but I have not found anyone who can tell me anything about it.
>>
>>53647995
Op, I certainly can't hold anything against you for playing hex-and-chit. I'd like to get into it myself.

...but around these parts, unless it has miniatures - good miniatures - most don't give it the time of day.
>>
>>53647995
Do you know of any good games still available? I used to have one called Necromancer but that was looooong ago.
>>
>>53647995
Used to play the shit out of it back in the late 80s.
Came in 3 books at the time. First was basic combat, second added fighters, and the third was a campaign system.

Ships looked like this -
BRADLEY - FG1 - [2] - S S S A A W I H W I I I I [5]
Meaning the Frigate Bradley had a turn mode of 2 and movement of 5. The letters refer to ship components.

Unlike some other space combat hex & chit games (star fleet battles), there is no power allocation, you can fire any and all of your weapons each turn, which simplifies the game (for good or bad).

Warcosm is a modern hex & chit game that is current and very similar in play.

What are you looking for in a space wargame?
>>
File: Starfire.jpg (188KB, 1482x1493px) Image search: [Google]
Starfire.jpg
188KB, 1482x1493px
This one?
>>
>>53650345
Warcosm is great! Cheap too.
>>
>>53647995

It's amazing, 3rd Edition Revised is probably the best, most playable, and crunchiest rule set for hex and chit space wargaming but still has a learning curve (just not an unbearably steep one). 1st Edition is much easier to pick up and fun (two people can pick it up from scratch in an afternoon).
>>
>>53651200
Does 3rd have any power/heat limitations?

Only thing that irks me is you can travel full speed, fire all weapons, and still recharge shields at the same time. Seems... off.
>>
>>53651286

Regenerating shields in combat isn't really a thing. Moving at full speed out of combat isn't a thing, nor is moving at full speed for a very long time during combat (you can wreck your engines).

There's a whole genre of Starfire battle tactics that deal with how to properly conduct a stern-chase (the "dogleg" maneuver to get brief firing windows without losing ground, when to stand and fight as a mass rather than have single ships drop out as their engines wear down, when to stop chasing the enemy and run like hell for your warppoint because *your* ships have been dropping out in singletons due to engine wear for a while and your ostensible victim can kick your ass in detail now...)

It's a game that fits together with itself very well, it rewards thought and ingenuity.
>>
Sorry, bit off topic, but can anyone recommend some good fantasy/sf hex chit games?
>>
>>53651200
What about the more recent editions, like Solar Starfire?
>>
>>53650345
>What are you looking for in a space wargame?

Something with a decent amount of crunch.
>>
>>53652838
Crunchy. I prefer 2e (I think, the box set?), plays fast, ships take damage and lose abilities, the construction rules are nice, allows you to place your components, it's just good.
>>
File: Dragon-Pass-cover.jpg (368KB, 845x1149px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Pass-cover.jpg
368KB, 845x1149px
>>53651577
The only fantasy chit game I can think of is Dragon Pass.
>>
>>53654406
Any good? Is it hard to find?
>>
>>53651286
>Only thing that irks me is you can travel full speed, fire all weapons, and still recharge shields at the same time. Seems... off.

If you want to juggle energy budgets, go play Starfleet Battles. Different games, different designs, different ideas. You might as well bitch that PanzerBlitz doesn't play like Advanced Squad Leader.

>>53652904

SF got far too "baroque" and "rules encrusted" for my liking very early on. Much like how SFB started out as a nice fast game only to end up as something you need to constantly flip thru a 3 ring binder to play.

If I were the OP, I'd stick with the 3 books of the 1st edition from Task Force games.

>>53651577

There are a shit ton of them. Go to Boardgame Geek and consimworld to find titles.
>>
I've bought Warcosm to try and get a system to do some simple space opera hex and chit stuff (LOGH, Yamato etc) and am wondering if I'm overspeccing my ships.

I made an alien corvette for the blue alien empire and it came out at 473 Novas (points)

It's:

Diligence Corvette, Frame 3
FRM3/PLT3/SHD1
HYP1/TAC4/MAN3

LSR (Front/Port)
LSR (Front/Starboard)
RKT (Front)

By contrast my general-purpose frigate for these guys is 657 Novas:

Determination Frigate, Frame 4
FRM4/PLT4/SHD4
HYP1/TAC4/MAN1

PDS1

LSB (Port)
LSB (Starboard)
LSR (Front/Port/Starboard)

Everything seems really expensive if you want to fill your hardpoints on low-size ships.
>>
>>53654967
I like it, though that is in large part because I am a big fan of its setting, Glorantha. It cost me about $75 for the 2nd edition box set, which is the version to get, as it has a cardboard map instead of a paper one.
>>
Other good fantasy board games include:

Avalon Hill's DARK EMPEROR

TSR/? DIVINE RIGHT

Both are OOP though...
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.