[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question for those used to worldbuilding in D&D-tradition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1432085563020.jpg (214KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1432085563020.jpg
214KB, 810x1080px
I have a question for those used to worldbuilding in D&D-tradition fantasy games. I like the tropes around nobility, the Austen-ish marriage politicking, the titles, etc. However, I'm realizing that the D&D economy (yes, I know it doesn't work, but stay with me) isn't strictly feudal, and I'm trying to figure out, you know, is there a smart way to do this where you can assume a freer level of commerce without obliterating the idea of a formalized aristocracy?
>>
File: 1494260719467.jpg (72KB, 564x797px) Image search: [Google]
1494260719467.jpg
72KB, 564x797px
>>53625459
Literally just say that there is aristocrats, but also free commerce. Players won't really get the incompatibility, I know I don't
>>
>>53625781

These people are absolute nerds in the humanities, though
>>
Aristocrats draw magical power from their domains. A duke, a king, or an emperor should be treated as a level fifteen or greater caster class in terms of raw stats. Peasant rebellions tend to spontaneously combust. So long as commerce doesn't move the borders and the taxes get paid every year, the aristocracy doesn't give a hoot about merchants.
>>
>>53625781
There's not an absolute incompatibility between the two.

The Merchant class simply isn't able to collect rents from peasants and is therefore never able to become richer than the Nobility even if they own property (their house).

>>53625459
What is a 'freer level of commerce' to you?
A 'Free City' as in the HRE might be something you should research, depending on how you interpret that phrase.
>>
>>53625995
To further elaborate:

Let's say your a burgher or merchant who needs something built, you have to hire people and buy supplies, where as a Lord is entitled to a certain amount of physical labor spent building things on his behalf, using wood from his own land, one is much more expensive than the other.
>>
>>53625459
Market could be free but if merchants are disallowed from owning land they will be locked out from a huge source of wealth. In preindustrial society land made up over 80% of all wealth.
>>
>>53625459
Mafia families are merchant aristocrats
>>
>>53625459
Dragonmarked
>>
>>53625459
>>53625946
What you're looking for is called a Plutocracy, where the wealthy make the social decisions and are the rulers - not just behind the scenes like in every other society ever, but for realsies. Money is best measured in land and livestock and other matters, and if you have enough of those you're considered of the ruling class. If you fall below the threshold, you're kicked out. This is basically how Carthage functioned.

Once people are in power, they like to be entrenched in power. Following that it's a simple matter of establishing inheritance and debt laws that strongly favor land owners and dynasties. At that point you're a landed noble in all but name, the only difference is you aren't cloaking it in divine mandate.

Hell, if you worship a commerce diety like Waukeen, you CAN cloak it in divine mandate
>>
>>53625459
>you know, is there a smart way to do this where you can assume a freer level of commerce without obliterating the idea of a formalized aristocracy?

This happened in the West well into the 19th century, anon.

Old-fashioned nobles enter the modern age with a head-start. They retain their titles, retain their lands, and retain their wealth. Now they're wealthy landowners with fancy titles in 1850 and recognized as nobility. The political power isn't inherent to the station, but it might as well be.
>>
>>53629315
>>53629286
Combine these to have fun economic friction between the old money and new money and what is essentially a society going through the birthing pains of the Renaissance!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.