[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, /tg/. I'm working on a high-fantasy setting, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Tristat.jpg (14KB, 200x204px) Image search: [Google]
Tristat.jpg
14KB, 200x204px
Alright, /tg/. I'm working on a high-fantasy setting, and I want to flesh it out, because I've had lots of vague ideas about it in my head but have never really put it on paper, the setting has pretty much evolved in my own head over the course of a couple years. Away from the worldbuilding for a second, I wanted to try a system that wasn't d20 for once to try and use. I'm thinking about Tri-Stat dX, but I haven't looked into it too much. So, anyone know any systems that do high-fantasy well? I know I'm being vague, but any help is appreciated.
>>
>>53622035
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've played any pseudo-medieval/renaissance fantasy game that wasn't d20 based.
Not "d20 System SRD" based, mind you, but still with the eponymous "d20 + Mod vs DC" as a cornerstone mechanic.
>>
>>53622035
I'm don't know much about Tri-Stat dX (it seems a bit weird that's it's body, mind and soul rather than something like brawn, agility and wits, but I don't know enough of the system that's built on top of the attributes to have an informed point of view on the subject), and I'm not a big fan of high-fantasy (which tends to invalidate normal obstacles and yield a game that's too far detached from the ordinary world to really identify with, in my experience), so I really don't have anything to contribute, except...

Sympathetic bump.
>>
>>53622035
Check Da Archive for the fantasy BESM material. Does a lot of the heavy lifting for you.
>>
>>53622035
Step dice

Also, everything in your setting should be written with an eye for playablity (could one plausibly make an adventure out of this tidbit, and are the details suitable for that end)
>>
>>53622035
Tristat is probably not the system you want to use for that. It gets out of hand really goddamn fast.
>>
File: 1467071098943.jpg (621KB, 2046x1447px) Image search: [Google]
1467071098943.jpg
621KB, 2046x1447px
>>53622035
In any given genre, you can try Risus for comedy, Fate for drama, or GURPS for grit.

Or a Lasers & Feelings clone because you just don't give a fuck.
>>
File: Mini_Six.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mini_Six.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>53622035
OVA, Mini6, or OpenD6 might be up your alley. Character creation in those is a pretty similar to TriStat but the mechanics overall are less of a clusterfuck.
Mini6 is free, and attached.
and OpenD6 is free here: https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/index.php?title=OpenD6

Open Legend uses a central d20 mechanic, but it's not really anything like THE "d20 System". It's pretty high fantasy by default, but is meant to also work for science fantasy, 'technosorcery' stuff, or mixing in guns. I've had a good time using it for a mid-tier superheroes game.
I think it's technically unfinished so a few bits might get reorganized over the next few months, but it's all free on the website.
>>
>>53624173
Many thanks, comrade. Gonna check out Mini6 and OpenD6.
>>
>>53622821
>>53622035

I miss Tri-Stat! bumping for interest
>>
File: MicroliteTri-Stat.pdf (64KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MicroliteTri-Stat.pdf
64KB, 1x1px
This could interest you
>>
>>53622035
Tri-Stat is an ok system. I used to play Demon City Shinjuku and it worked pretty well for this setting.

In Tri-Stat the characters are mainly described by their attributes. Stats and skills are less important.

The system works best if your players know what kind of character they want to build as the game doesn't feature classes.

As a system it's clearly superior to Mini Six. It's much more fleshed out and gives much more options.
>>
>>53622035
Tri Stat does have history with fantasy in general - its the first RPG system to do Song of Ice and Fire before it became the behemoth franchise it is today, and GRRM was the one to announce when tri stat company Guardians of Order had been disbanded.

Tri Stat has 2 multi setting books, Dreaming Cities (urban fantasy) and Ex Machina (cyber punk), iirc both are a couple of handful of settings each, with one from Ex Machana being written up by some of the original writers of Shadowrun. As for high fantasy, the closest I remember is Uresia, Grave of Heaven, which was more of a take on combining jrpg tropes with western rpg tropes at the time, so its very rooted in 90s-early 2000s jrpg tropes. As a setting book its very short, snappy in its descriptions, and just a generally good book to read. Its license was given back to its author, Risus creator S John Ross, so there's a sytem-agnostic 2nd edition of Uresia floating around in drivethrurpg if you want to give that a read

If you're going to use Tri Stat, honestly suggest using either BESM 3rd ed (the iteration of the system after dX) or BESM 2nd ed. They bill themselves as the anime rpg system but its really a universal system under the art. The system is easy to grock (3 stats, roll stat + skill and roll lower than a number unless you're using BESM 3, then its roll over) and its really easy to make anything under the sun with(point-buy system and with a lot of options that all can be powered up to a 6th level, list of abilities is pretty exhaustive). That said, the common complaint of the system is that it breaks - hard, and easily, you really, really have to be mindful about what to allow players to select from.
>>
What's the difference between BESM and Tri-Stat?
>>
>>53627708
BESM uses the Tri-Stat system, but is specifically anime-themed. For those people who want to use the Tri-Stat system but don't like anime, they can use Tri-Stat DX, which has none of the anime art or trappings.
There have been 3 editions of BESM using Tri-Stat. Tri-Stat DX uses a slightly modified version of the rules used in BESM 2nd Edition, so it's kind of Tri-Stat 2.5 or something.
There's also a version of BESM that uses the d20 system. It's a mess.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.