[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you get attached to your characters? Wanting to see my character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1462752842631.png (537KB, 900x531px) Image search: [Google]
1462752842631.png
537KB, 900x531px
Do you get attached to your characters?

Wanting to see my character do well conflicts with my desire to have danger and realistic consequences.

I get scared when they're in trouble. This applies to videogames for me too.

It helps me get into the game and I actually react to things happen realistically, but it's also stressful.

Anybody have this? Is it healthy?
>>
>>53621987
You're playing roleplaying game. Obviously you're meant to get attached.
>>
yeah
>>
>not waifu'ing your character
>>
None of the characters I've played have been "good" people, so I haven't been big fans of them. I do have pet NPCs when I DM that I want my players to interact with more (intelligently, not stupidly). But as always, they prefer the stupid side crap, not my cool many-hours designed crap. Meh, it's all crap in the end.
>>
>>53625457
>Meh, it's all crap in the end.

You are a bad GM, step up your game or let someone else take the reins for you. Your games will never be good if you don't acknowledge them as good.
>>
>>53621987
I've been in an occasion were I wanted to kill of my character. Through sheer dumb luck and determination of winning the fight he survived. But when he died it was pretty sad.
>>
I fucking love them. All of them.
The heroes, the cunts, the retards, the sluts, the morons, the badasses and the failures.

While they're all extremely flawed and objectively unlikable, they have enough of myself in them for me to relate to on a fundamental level.
>>
>>53621987
Yeah, I realised how much I care recently when my character, due to me screwing up, ended up in a jail. I couldn't sleep.
Even though it was meant to be a throwaway character for a couple of sessions. Holy fuck, where does the ride end?
>>
Every single one. Every single time. Not like, Blackleaf levels of autism of course, but as my creations I'm naturally attached to them. Even if I know they are for throwaway games I still find myself crafting their histories and building their personalities.
>>
>>53621987

Honestly, that might just be an indication you'd have more fun in narrative/cinematic games where PCs have layers of plot armour, letting you engage in those risks and dangers without as much real chance of death. Of course, a good GM in those systems will still have consequences occur, likely more interesting ones than just dying.

But yeah. It's not a matter of one being better or worse, but of different playstyles, and at least from the sound of it the grittier kind of game without plot armour isn't something you'll be able to comfortably enjoy.
>>
>>53622012

First post best post.

If you don't give a shit about your characters, you might as well play a boardgame or a videogame.
>>
>>53621987
It depends very much on the system and campaign, and what sort of concept I'm working with. In general, yes, but that's because I actively avoid lower power, higher lethality games where characters are generally temporary, or games where stats are determined randomly.
>>
>>53621987
>Do you get attached to your characters?
Sure. Mark of a good game, IMO.

>Anybody have this? Is it healthy?
No, it's not healthy. Nothing you'd have to ask about on /tg is healthy.
>>
>>53621987
Yes, I get attached to them in the sense that I enjoy playing a character.

No what you are describing is not healthy.
>>
>>53621987
that's called immersion
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.