[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any sort of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RPG? I see so much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: TltzAaN.jpg (138KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
TltzAaN.jpg
138KB, 1280x1024px
Is there any sort of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RPG?
I see so much potential with it, I can honestly think of more scenarios than with most tabletop RPGs
>>
>>53620828
Hi OP,
This twice is made at least twice a week and is always the same so here's the quick rundown in a single post.
-There's Pokemon Tabletop Adventure and it's derivative Pokemon Tabletop United (PTA/PTU)
These are the most well known pokemon games but they are also incredibly shitty games. Crunchy emulationist messes with with combat that can be measured in quarters of the day wasted.
-There's Pokerole. This is a less messy system and has a PMD splatbook. It is functional but just barely. Read it and make your own judgement.
-And then there are generic systems like FATE. These are probably your best bet, but they rely on you homebrewing. Good luck!

The thread will now devolve into people arguing about PTA/PTU
>>
>>53621793
I literally have never made this post before
thanks
>>
>>53620828
I played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon once.
It's literally the most autistic thing that I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1486701194193.jpg (207KB, 627x749px) Image search: [Google]
1486701194193.jpg
207KB, 627x749px
>>53620828

The original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon may be one of the most /comfy/ games ever devised, and I do not say that lightly.
>>
>>53620828
mini six maybe?
>>
>>53621793
Why the fuck haven't we made a decent system for this then?
>>
I found a Python script that converted all 800+ Pokemon to Fudge (NOT Fate) characters, so if you wanted to go that way you could. It didn't convert the attacks, but it is a starting point.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anonymousAwesome/FudgePokemon/master/pokemon_converted.txt

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anonymousAwesome/FudgePokemon/master/pokemon_threat_converted.txt
>>
File: IMG_0607.png (259KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0607.png
259KB, 800x600px
>>53624223
Okay gang. It's time to get shit done.

First off, it'd be pretty impractical to stat up every Pokemon individually- for the sake of sanity, we need to use the stats you can easily find on Bulbapedia.

Secondly, there are certain abilities and moves that don't translate well to a tabletop environment. For example, Golisopod's Emergency Exit's auto-flee doesn't translate well to a tabletop environment, so one possible fix could give him a movement boost or immunity to opportunity attacks.

Third, the mechanics would have to change to allow for movement on a 2-D plane and to account for the ranged properties of non-contact moves. Speed could double as movement speed and as inititative. Some moves, like Thunderbolt, are ranged while other moves with similar PPs and power are melee. Melee moves would have to be buffed and/or ranged moves would have to be nerfed.

I forgot the fourth thing I was going to post.
>>
>>53624490
I know PTA/U get flak for it, but copying 4e is probably for the best in a PMD system. Positioning and environmental items would be very important and it is good at managing those.
>>
>>53624708
>I know PTA/U get flak for it, but copying 4e is probably for the best in a PMD system

Well, copying the At-Will/Encounter/Daily system was a good idea. Not so sure about any of their other decisions.
>>
>>53620828
>>53624490
>>53624223
>>53624305
The reason that Pokemon is hard to translate has nothing to do with the feasibility of translating the pokemon, it's because the fucking moves don't make any sense outside the context of a goddamn video game.

The moveset in the pokemon games were a design limitation that were there to simulate things that actual animals might do in a fight (growl, scratch, bite) and things that avatars of the element of fire would do.

Trying to represent the vudeo games in tabletop is ALWAYS going to become a goddamn mess, because you're trying to emulate an emulation of a fantasy version of the real world. God forbid you try to just create the anime, where pokemen make up moves and do wierd stuff that doesn't make sense in the games, because "then it's not pokemon"!

If you just want the setting, then translate it into. GURPS, FATE, HERO, Savage Worlds, or whatever youe go to generic system is.
If you want a simulation of the videogames, go play PTU.
If you want a playable version of the games, where you can do combat relatively quickly, JUST PLAY THE FUCKING GAMES YOU AUTIST
>>
>>53624832
I might suggest looking at Penny Arcade's 4e imitation system. It uses a card system, which keeps abilities from growing uncontrollably.

>>53624984
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is actually an outlier of the Pokemon games that would be easier to translate. You'd only play as 1 pokemon and have a DnD style team to take down the dungeons that pop-up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.