[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A group of friends wants to get into roleplaying. They're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: n.png (801KB, 583x960px) Image search: [Google]
n.png
801KB, 583x960px
A group of friends wants to get into roleplaying. They're all complete rookies - not just have they never played an RPG before, they've never even played an RPG video game. None of them have ever played Neverwinter Nights, nobody's ever heard of 40k.

What's the best system for them to pick up?

In other words, which RPG has the absolute best "beginner" product? One that fully teaches the players and GM what to do, while giving them the most fun doing it.

My first thought was one of those "one page" RPGs, but the more I thought about it, the more I suspected the group would be left sitting around a table wondering what the fuck they were meant to actually *do*.
>>
>>53600204
1 page RPGs actually give you what to do. Lasers and Feelings generates an adventure and starts with a trouble.

That said, if you want something more complex, maybe something PbtA? It's kinda foolproof.
>>
Fate
>>
>>53600204
>they've never even played an RPG video game

That's probably an advantage not a detriment.
>>
>>53600204
Ryuutama.
It has been made for the express purpose of being a beginner's RPG. The mechanics themselves provide a tutorial of sorts for players and GM alike.
>>
You might actually want to avoid "Rules-lite", because new players often need more structure. The imagination is a curious thing, where in a roleplaying game, it's better to have more to inspire new players and to keep everyone on the same page than it is simply to let them run amok. It's the difference between asking a band to add their own spin to a song rather than asking them to compose a new one on the spot.

If you want to keep with rules lite, Fate Accelerated isn't a single page, but it's quick enough to learn in about half an hour or so, with about 15 pages the players need to read.
https://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

Its strengths are that its quick to learn and can be used for a wide variety of games, but it's big weakness is that it doesn't have a lot of mechanical depth and sometimes feels rather vague.

On the other hand, my recommendation would actually be to dive right into D&D 5e. It has significantly more rules, but the core of what you need to know in order to play can likewise be learned in half an hour, since the really complicated parts are mostly involved in creating a character, rather than playing one. If you pick up the 5e starter set, you'll have all you really need to start playing.
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Its major strength is that they went out of their way to guide DMs and players, and it is a full and deep game you can play for years to come. Its weaknesses are that it is one of the more complex games (I'd rate it a 8/10 in terms of full complexity), and being a heavily flavored product (compared to more adaptable games), it might not suit your groups style without getting to know the system better and working it to suit you.
>>
>>53600204
Don't be a pussy and molly-coddle your players.
Make them play F.A.T.A.L.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 600x776px
>>53600204
Beyond the Wall is pretty neat, and making characters is a group activity where you roll to determine your character's childhood and the village they all come from.
It also comes with two starter adventures, designed such that you can use the places and people the players have come up with in chargen.
It's fairly simple in terms of rules too.
You can find it over in the OSR thread's trove.
It's fairly tied to its folklore-y, young people setting off into the world tone though, so keep that in mind
>>
I am a big fan of Mouseguard. It comes with a very good set for learning how to play.
>>
Rolled 70 (1d100)

>>53600970
Rolling for anal circumference!
>>
GURPS
>>
File: GURPS 4th - Ultra Lite.pdf (98KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 4th - Ultra Lite.pdf
98KB, 1x1px
>>53601306
Addendum, GURPS Lite and GURPS Ultra Lite are really good choices for starting out. I have seen people run entire campaigns with just GURPS Lite because it offers everything you would want.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.