[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be a terrible GM >No one else in the group wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: peanuts eva.gif (360KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
peanuts eva.gif
360KB, 500x375px
>Be a terrible GM
>No one else in the group wants to GM so I have to
>>
At least you'll get a lot of practice and soon become less terrible.
>>
File: 1451339481832.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1451339481832.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>53597929
>>
>Make up reason for having to stop
>group will find a GM, which will probably be better then you
>come back saying the problem was fixed
>>
>>53598307
>>group will find a GM, which will probably be better then you

Or you know, it'll just disintegrate, and people will fill up their schedules with other shit, so you can't reform it again either.
>>
>>53598307
If I stop, the group will break apart. That's the only reason why I haven't stopped. I don't want to stop playing with them even if I'm bumbling my way through games and I hate every single thing I produce.

I guess that means I don't have a backbone.
>>
>>53598434
Do you hate GMing?
>>
>>53597929

>have a terrible GM for many years
>countless half-ass sessions and unfinished campaigns
>decided to step up and try my hand at GM
>thanks to /tg/ know what not to do
>prepare ahead of time and have everything ready to play
>inexperienced shows but everyone has a good time and I learn quickly
>friends ask me to keep GM
>get better and get my players hooked
>years later still GM
>we don't play as much as before but still have a good time
>new campaign starting soon and we might go back to weekly sessions
>good end
>>
>>53598434
one thing's for sure, you have no drive for self-improvement. You're only a bad GM cause you haven't worked at being a better one.
>>
>>53598463
No, but I hate the campaign I'm running because I feel like it's not good enough, or not good at all.
>>
>>53598503
That's the thing, I don't know how to improve. I don't know what to do most of the time, even though I'm following the gm guidelines in the book and advice from the internet. A lot of the times it feels like I'm conducting a live orchestra but I'm tone-deaf.
>>
>>53598614
Have you tried watching other people's games or asking what your players would like?
What exactly is it you're bad at? Don't say "everything", or we can't help.
>>
File: ttrpg planning.png (181KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
ttrpg planning.png
181KB, 500x348px
>have an idea
>execute it poorly
>>
>>53597929
>Be great GM
>Everyone else sucks at GMing so I never really get to enjoy myself

Why can't I just find a good game for once? Is it even worth bothering? I can't even find decent players anymore.
>>
>>53598614
>I don't know what to do most of the time, even though I'm following the gm guidelines in the book and advice from the internet.
The issue then, at least partially, is that you're following advice that is wrong.

Run a campaign that you would like to play in. Look at things from the players' perspective and ask yourself how things could be better.
>>
>>53597929
Chin up, OP. If no one else in the group wants to GM, they are worse GMs. Which means you're the best GM in your group
>>
>>53599149
Teach.
>>
>>53599637
I don't want to teach people basic social skills. That's why I never bothered to have kids.
>>
>>53599734
Good GMing is more than basic social skills, though I suppose those are probably a prerequisite.
>>
>>53599852
They are, and also a prerequisite of being a good player. Depressingly, all I find are autists who are completely oblivious to their own faults.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.