[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a greater love letter to Humanity Fuck Yeah

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: stargate.jpg (388KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
stargate.jpg
388KB, 800x1200px
Has there ever been a greater love letter to Humanity Fuck Yeah put on television?
>>
>Everything they had was stolen
>The best stuff they have was literally given to them

>Humanity fuck yeah
>>
>>53590319
star wars.
>entire galaxy is ruled by what are essentially human supremacists.
>blow up entire planets for disagreeing with them.
>>
File: 1495798318196.png (175KB, 348x436px) Image search: [Google]
1495798318196.png
175KB, 348x436px
>>53591077
He said TV. If we limit ourselves to TV there's not much I can think of. Also said empire blew up a planet populated by humans which is the exact opposite of humanity fuck yeah.
>>
>>53591046
They reverse engineered it all, though, and changed it all to be more earth-like.

And then they kept beating the energy weapons with guns shooting through the completely pointless chainmail, and the aliens were like 'y-you have such advanced weapons!'.

I'd call Tau'ri mary sues if I it wasn't an incorrect use of the term because they were there from the start. They never face a true ethic dillema beyond personal character stories, and when they do, they joke it away. Star Trek, while being more Humanism Fuck Yeah keeps putting the characters in such situations beyond counting, starting with the prime directive. Tau'ri are straight up colonialist, and it's never brought up as a real problem.
>>
>>53591223
Oh yeah, also:

>the gods are false
>not only is your way of life misugided and wrong, the way of life of our own ancestors was misguided and wrong too
>modern humanity, as the only race presented that isn't fucking ancient (except arguably Tok'ra), literally have the secret of proper society figured out, everyone else is imperialist or a complete asshole like that one advanced human civilisation that makes humanity sterile in that one episode that never happened
>they have 0 issues forcing their ways on others and most races begrudgingly accept it, nobody ever truly rebels, despite the deal with humans (like mine this highly explosive material for us in exchange for resources) being presented as FREEDOM
>>
Say pretty please.
>>
>>53591326
>Crichton being genetically inferior is an important plot point in Crackers Don't Matter.
>>
>>53590319
>Has there ever been a greater love letter to Humanity Fuck Yeah put on television?
Battlestar Galactica
>>
>>53591046
Which alien race did they steal P90's from?
>>
>>53591363
If inferiority wins, it is not inferiority
>>
>>53591223
>they kept beating the energy weapons with guns shooting through the completely pointless chainmail
They actually point this out in an episode. The energy weapons were designed to be scary while the guns were designed to be deadly.
>>
I miss Stargate, dispite Universe being bad I still wanted it to finish properly.

I'd take Universe over no Stargate anyday of the week. The reboot films sound like a pile of shit too.
>>
>>53591375
BsG with its religious robots and strange religion? How is it humanity fuck yeah?
>>
>Babylon 5
>Battlestar Galactica
>Farscape
>Stargate
>Star Trek

Choose wisely.
>>
I liked Atlantis more than SG-1, particularly the early season.

The Wraith always felt like a better enemy than the multitude of god-wannabes that SG-1 was parading around, and the human settlements of Atlantis were also better written and more varied, and had a better excuse for being stuck in stasis than SG-1's human settlements. Also it had a healthy dose of HFY without being over the top stupid like SG-1 in most cases.

Although I feel that both shows ran out of ideas and went off the rails towards the end of their run.
>>
>>53591405
Because being damn good at killing isn't something that makes a weapon scary when it's pointed at you. And ignoring that bit, you'd think they'd have weapons for killing lying around for use whenever someone showed up who didn't shit his pants at the sight of the scary weapons.
>>
>>53591504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8
>>
File: Shit.png (858KB, 1126x856px) Image search: [Google]
Shit.png
858KB, 1126x856px
>>53591046

Hmmn... I wonder where I heard one very similar trope to a very similar situation but in a completely different media?
>>
File: aesthetic.jpg (45KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic.jpg
45KB, 736x414px
Does a more a e s t h e t i c space ship exist on television?
>>
>>53591502
coincidentally im working my way through sg-1 and i plan to watch atlantis after. do the stories tie together?
>>
>>53591615
>ywn be a low-level goa'uld blasting primitive humans to ash from the comfort of your personal hatak

I imagine it would be like playing a city builder or a strategy game, building your own little back water world from scratch in to a thriving civilization. I wish I could do that for a thousand years.
>>
>>53591623
Not really as a direct sequel, they share elements but you can watch them side by side without spoiling much for yourself, particularly the first few seasons of Atlantis have almost nothing to do with SG-1.

Although watching SG-1 first followed by Atlantis will help you not miss some things in Atlantis, but it's minor.

Later seasons of Atlantis do tie in with SG-1 more.
>>
>>53591673
sounds good. sg-1 is kind of cheesy in a variety of ways but im enjoying the ride. its been on my bucket list for years.
>>
>>53591046
The Goa'uld tech they stole was itself copied from Ancient tech, which is all human tech. And they were better with it than the aliens were.
>>
>>53591406
Universe wasn't bad.
It just wasn't "fun", like every single Stargate that came before it.
I liked both, but they were radically different.
>>
>>53591685
Oh yeah, it definitely is.

Atlantis is a little bit less cheesy, but not by much. Also SG-1, particularly the early seasons, is more episodic than Atlantis, while Atlantis's episodes tie together better.
>>
>>53591377
The Belgians

Fuckin freaks
>>
>>53591326
John Crichton is my personal definition of HFY.

But Stargate in total is a better example of HFY.
>>
>>53591316
>>53591502
There is more than one isolated human world that were forgotten by the goa'uld that managed to reach modern technology. SG1 also find a few that were quite advanced before the goa'uld found them and killed them.

I think its either said or implied that the snakes don't like their humans betting too numerous or experimenting with technology because it threatens their power/people realise they're not gods.
>>
>>53591504
>you'd think they'd have weapons for killing lying around for use whenever someone showed up who didn't shit his pants at the sight of the scary weapons.

If you think about it, the trope behind the Goaul'd(or whathever is written) is that its a corrupt empire, full of arrogant parasitic aliens that in reality they are too weak and must resort to domination through scare tactics and higher tech to wipe out their enemies.

But as soon as they find an enemy that is just enough advanced they simply stop, they do not invent new tactics or doctrines, no real change in the way they face their enemies, only in the time Stargate happens you can see some change through necessity, but even those changes are in line with their stupidity.

If they find a problem, they do not circumvent it by politics, doctrine, sociology... they invent more powerful weapons and change almost nothing else, only when they do overkill things(like Anubis) they see some real change.

Its kind of an interesting way to write a punching bag of a villain, they are surely powerful and big but everything that composes them is actually pretty weak and ineffective so the constant plot armor(about which they joke a lot) isn't so obvious.

So that's why their infantry weapons are ineffective, their training quasimedieval, their combat tactics similar to human wave attacks, their artillery nonexistent... their over reliance on air and orbital supremacy is their way to compensate for all of their strategic and tactical weaknesses.
>>
>>53591704
>A little bit cheesy.

Dude by the sole existence of McKay the whole cheesiness of the show reaches exponential elements.
>>
>>53591433
The original series, which is about the surival of the human race above everything else
Fuck that remake garbage, never watched an ep
>>
>>53591755
He's more hammy than cheesy, though.

McKay is also probably the best written character in the entirety of the Stargate canon. The actor also did a very good job playing him.

He's certainly my favorite character.
>>
>>53591735
This.

One of my favorite, and I believe unspoken, tropes of Stargate is that something like 90% of Earth's plans would have failed and been crushed if the Goa'uld had just made the Jaffa use walkie-talkies.
>>
>>53591623
>do the stories tie together?

Not in a good way.

More of executives saying: "Atlantis is not reaching enough audiences as SG-1 and we need to milk this cow! Shoehorn more SG-1 characters into it dammit"

which is sad, Atlantis didn't need Fabian Picardo substituting Torri higgison(don't get me wrong he did a neat job with what he had but it reeks like they simply coulnd't get Torri back so they get the nearest thing) and also didn't need that penultimate and last episodes, they were clearly forcing an ending to the series and it shows.
>>
>>53591809
>Sharing your technology with your worshipers

Their whole gig was pretending only they could use magic. Can't let the slaves find out.
>>
>>53591836
>Magic staff weapons are okay to share, but don't give them magic talk boxes!
Stupid tapeworm logic.
>>
>>53591836

Well they do share tech, but more along the lines of "we the gods give you this powerfull gift to use it to crush our enemies my loyal meatba... servant"

With time you do realize that seems like many more than it seems know they are not gods but simply accept the reality around them because when religion doesn't work scare tactics substitute them.
>>
>>53591884
>"I don't think you're a god."
>Brain melting intensifies
"What about you?"
>"Oh, totally. One hundred percent."
>>
>>53591870
The ability to kill is different to having your voice heard over great distances.
>>
>>53591961
Yes.
And?
>>
>>53591702
I actually enjoyed it but it was dull compared to the other series. Dr Rush was my favourite character since he had a better view of what the Destiny was all about compared to "I don't care if this thing is 1000s of years old, has a shit load of information about the universe and everything, I want to go home"

>>53591623
I rewatched SG1, Atlantis and Universe all in the order of timeline, It was nice switching between SG1 and Atlantis but keeping track of it was a bother. You won't really miss/gain much by watching them together but you will get to the SG1 ep that takes place in Atlantis and think "who the fuck are these people?" Atlantis is my favourite though, Shepard and Mckay are just a good duo

>>53591615
Asgard ships always did it for me, especially the bulky Beliskner class ship.
>>
>>53592036
>but you will get to the SG1 ep that takes place in Atlantis and think "who the fuck are these people?"
wait, are you saying thy aired at the same time?
>>
>>53591784
Jesus fuck, are you serious?

God-tier scientist who can solve literally any problem in a matter of days, if not hours is the best character?

He basically singlehandedly ruined the franchise for me, after 2 seasons of his character I realized that the show was inappropriate for someone my age to be watching
>>
>>53591990
Omnipresence is a trait Gods possess, not the average Joe. For uneducated primitive slaves seeing your God project himself and his voice across great distances would be a perfect trick to fool people in to thinking you're a God.

I remember a few episodes had Apophis project his voice and image and everyone was all excited for it. If everyone could do it then it wouldn't be all the special and Godly.
>>
>>53592051
They did, the last seasons of SG1 and the first seasons of Atlantis.
The ep in question presents itself in a way that you should know all about Atlantis already. I remember watching it the first time on Sky One (UK) ages ago and was confused at who the people were. Atlantis gets mentioned alot in SG1 but it's still classed as a outpost when it's really a city of Ancient technology in another galaxy with it's own problems.

I'd honestly recommend watching them in "timeline" order but as said, it's a hassle to keep track off, I have the DVD boxsets, might be easier with files. you can find the orders with a google search/Stargate forum but some users have different orders but they're mostly the same.
>>
>>53592103
well thanks for the insight. ill probably just binge sg-1 all the way through and then atlantis.
>>
>>53592074
It's not like he's different than any other sci-fi scientist, like Jackson and Carter from SG-1, for example, or whatever that dude's name was in Universe. It's a very classic character archetype in this kind of fiction.

I'm not talking about his archetype anyway. I'm talking about his character and personaly, and the way he was played. The way he goes from proud and arrogant to a little bitch who is still nonetheless proud, and the way he grew and changed over time to become a proper member of the team, still a coward, but moving forward regardless.

He's probably the one who has had the most character development, certainly when compared to Sheppard or Ronon, who were just as bullshit as McKay was in their areas.
>>
>>53591223
>colonialism
>problem

there's no problem here, m8
>>
>>53592292
Second.

McCay was well done for "the second smartest human being alive."
>>
>>53590319
Why is it that HFYfags see personal achievements as representative of the larger race, despite the larger race consistently undermining those rare individuals?

Stargate is far from HFY, because HFY is defined by being mindless masturbation, and Stargate is principally opposed to the core tenants of HFY because most of the aliens are vastly superior to humans, and humans have no special or defining qualities outside of being 3/4 of the main protagonists.
>>
>>53592080
Granted, fair point.

I still stand by my assessment of the stupid tapeworm logic, though.
>>
>>53590319
>sg-1 had several non-human team members
>constantly got help from tok'ra, free jaffa, tollan, various others

nah, you're dumb
>>
File: wacko.jpg (34KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
wacko.jpg
34KB, 640x360px
Comfy kino
>>
>>53597263
>Window of opportunity

I liked that episode so much that eve after so many years I still remember the fucking name of the episode.
>>
>>53591363
not his inferiority, anon.
Remember? He was SUPERIOR. He said so himself!
>>
File: 1496493652634.jpg (30KB, 459x458px) Image search: [Google]
1496493652634.jpg
30KB, 459x458px
>>53597263
This episode is still my most favorite of all time.
>>
>>53592036
Rush singlehandedly carried the entire show for the first season and a half until the plot finally got interesting. Then the show was cancelled, fugg.
>>
>>53597263
I remember when they went and did a 'vote on the best episodes' thing way back when.
Pretty sure this one was in the top two at least.
And the entire top five was time travel episodes
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.