[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ I come to you with questions: A: How many kinds of non

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 9

File: Bourtange.jpg (348KB, 1024x794px) Image search: [Google]
Bourtange.jpg
348KB, 1024x794px
/tg/ I come to you with questions:

A: How many kinds of non porous stone are there (I know soapstone is one kind) and are any good for building castles/fortifications from, or at least pipes for channeling water (non porous means bacteria and such can't colonize it, so less chance of illnesses spreading)

B: What is the best "primitive" way of carving stone, especially giant stone blocks directly from the quarry? I know vaguely of one technique, where you use a copper tube to slowly grind a hole in a stone block. So would you be able to use a copper saw to carve giant blocks for building walls?

C: How would a technologically primitive people be able to make cement from scratch?

D: How did the ancient Romans and other people make glass for windows without electricity/advanced tools and such?
>>
File: Afyon_Kalesi.jpg (376KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Afyon_Kalesi.jpg
376KB, 1600x1063px
>>53568436
>>
File: Ait_Ben_Haddou_City,_Marocco.jpg (224KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
Ait_Ben_Haddou_City,_Marocco.jpg
224KB, 1024x575px
>>53568536
>>
File: Alara_Kalesi.jpg (198KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Alara_Kalesi.jpg
198KB, 1024x768px
>>53568721
>>
File: Aleppo_Citadel.jpg (159KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
Aleppo_Citadel.jpg
159KB, 1000x664px
>>53568828
>>
File: Alhambra.jpg (193KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Alhambra.jpg
193KB, 1280x800px
>>53568854
>>
File: Amer_Fort.jpg (678KB, 1738x896px) Image search: [Google]
Amer_Fort.jpg
678KB, 1738x896px
>>53568885
>>
>>53568436
>How would a technologically primitive people be able to make cement from scratch?
How primitive? Look up what we know about roman concrete, it's probably as good as you are going to get.

>How did the ancient Romans and other people make glass for windows without electricity/advanced tools and such?
That's pretty easy to research. In essence, they either cast the molten glass into a frame, or they blew it, cut it and flattened it while still ductile.
>>
>>53568436
>How did the ancient Romans and other people make glass for windows without electricity/advanced tools and such?

I don't think they did. Glass windows didn't exist until late middle ages.
>>
>>53571398
Fuck off. The Romans already had glass windows.
>>
File: Masada.jpg (53KB, 490x416px) Image search: [Google]
Masada.jpg
53KB, 490x416px
>>53570907
Roman concrete was amazing.
Some of it (using volcanic ash I think) was better than a lot of the stuff we use today - it's only fairly recently we know why too, so roman-style concrete may well see a resurgence.
>>
File: Civita_di_Bagnoregio_-Veduta-.jpg (167KB, 1200x592px) Image search: [Google]
Civita_di_Bagnoregio_-Veduta-.jpg
167KB, 1200x592px
Here's a Roman, hope i can help with all you need.
First porous stone: one i know is tuff (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuff). It has been used a lot in Italy and is still used to make some types of concrete, mostly mixing it with water and calcium. Historically it as been used more prominently in the form of bricks wich would be very lightweight and fragile. Like so fragile a kid could pick up a brick as big as his torso with little effort and smash it just dropping it to the ground. Regardless it as been used to make fortification walls and there are even villages wholly made on small tuff hills like the one in the picture, here's a link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civita_di_Bagnoregio
Of course it is a condemned place: tuff suffers a bunch from erosion.
But since it is made of volcanic ashes and has a really ancient feel to it you can work it out to havy any eerie connotations and symbolism you'd like.
As for water pipes, you ideally want them to be waterproof, porous stone is not and well... stone in general is usually a poor choice: it is harder to make a stone pipe than say a clay or metal one. Romans used lead pipes mostly wich was bad, really bad. Over generations it causes lead poisoning due to erosion of the lead in the water stream. Besides clay pipes can easily harbor moss, algae and all sorts of stuff but... you know, ancient times, people did not know much about sanitation: at best they realized that water tasted weird.
Aaaand to glass. Indeed glassblowing was practiced by romans and glass windows did existed.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.