[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why Warhammer and 40k models are so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 13040316478bd3fdd687781eda.jpg (82KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
13040316478bd3fdd687781eda.jpg
82KB, 600x451px
Can someone explain to me why Warhammer and 40k models are so expensive compared to Gunpla? I mean with all the color separation and everything it feels like a much better deal when I can get a solid 1/144 for about 15-20 compare to one army for about 35-85. I mean they only come in one color which is fine but how? How can these be so expensive?
>>
>>53548942

- Economy of scale
- Bandai makes more money in a quarter than GW's entire net worth
- Non-Chinese labor
- Different market segments and market price bearings
- Different business policies and attitudes
- Anime support
- Different appeal (aside from Tau mech overlap)
- Difference in competition
- Difference in plastic injection model kit prevalence in respective countries

Short answer is they are apples and oranges and GW is charging as high as they possibly can, which for various reasons, happens to be higher than what Gundam is.

1/144 are only cheap because more expensive grades exist. They probably be higher if they didn't. Why do you think the larger grades cost more? Sure, they have more components and cost more to design, but pound for pound in terms of production and plastic and packaging costs, the scale is not the same. The price per design cost/plastic received jumps as the Gundam grade goes up, because the market will bear that price.

1/144 HG should probably cost even less than its current price. Why do you think the MSRP is around $15 for a 1/144 but you can get them for under $9 in some places.
>>
>>53549129
This is a very good post.
>>
>>53549129
Also the type of plastic is a factor.

Gunpla uses a lower quality plastic than GW. Im not saying it's terrible, but it's just using more recycled material. Plastic can only be melted and cooled so many times before it breaks down or loses its integrity, so often plastic of higher quality uses less recycled material, and lower quality uses more.

The more malleable and tougher the plastic is without snapping shows how little recycled (from miscasts and runners and sprue) material was put back into it. More brittle material has more recycled.

Gunpla falls into the latter, but not too far. It's still quality stuff, but I can feel the difference when I am working with it vs GW plastic.
>>
>>53548942
>I mean with all the color separation and everything
It blows my mind how people value this. The bare plastic looks like cheap and nasty. What's the point if you don't paint it?
>>
>>53550207
How can it look nasty? It's consistently one color?
>>
>>53549999

This would explain why my Gundam kits snip so cleanly with a pair of high quality single edged clippers but the GW ones won't no matter what.
>>
>>53550352
Because the mech looks like it's made out of low quality plastic instead of painted metal. (or space ceramics or whatever the fuck they make giant robots from)
>>
If you're not going to paint your Gundam models at least matte varnish them. It'll make them look a lot better, trust me. Not as good as a simple color priming of the various parts before assembling but better than nothing.
>>
>>53549129
>Sure, they have more components and cost more to design, but pound for pound in terms of production and plastic and packaging costs, the scale is not the same.
i dont know about perfect grade, but 1/100 MG kits are usually around twice as expensive as 1/144 HG kits while having twice as much plastic (and taking up more than twice as much shelf space in the box, and more than twice as much plastic wrap, color variety, and so on) so i do think the scale is the same.
of course kits of the same scaled vary in size and thus vary in price with each other similarly. 1/144 kits with similar material weight to 1/100 kits cost similarly to 1/100 kits.
>>
>>53550682

I was talking about kits larger than 1/100.
>>
>>53550682
You really think just because the cost of plastic doubled, the final product price should double too? Hello?

X = Plastic
Y = Other costs

2X + Y ≠ 2 (X + Y)
>>
>>53550730
X = Raw Materials
Y = Overhead

Neither RM nor OH have any bearing on sales price, only on Cost of Goods Sold. MSRP is arbitrary as fuck.
>>
>>53550730
Not to be an ass but applying trivia linear algebra is even more idiotic.

Your Y is going to be a variable that also increases with teh amount of plastic you churn out. New molds, paying the designers, bigger packaging, artist revenues, longer assembly manual,...

Combine the fact there is plain more to do even in the non-plastic part of the equation with the fact these are costs spread around all the buyers which in this case there is going t be much less of and a double increase in price for double the material does not seem like such a scam.
>>
>>53550766

Bandai is so fucking large that those Y costs are trivial. Compare their size to GW and tell me the costs spread throughout all their divisions isn't significantly different.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.