/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /TG/, do you remember the first time you DMed? How'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2746.png (1MB, 1673x976px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2746.png
1MB, 1673x976px
Hey /TG/, do you remember the first time you DMed?
How'd it go?

>I'm going to be DMing a game of DnD5e this weekend.
>This is my first time DMing, and I'm expecting 7 players, which feels a bit intimidating.
>made a homebrew cuz books are for losers.
>Donald Trump is the God-Emperor.

None of my friends have RPed before, so I'm expecting it to be a mess.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

What was your first time like,
Was it magical?
>>
>>53527830
I would honestly advise dropping the memes
>>
>>53527830
Have you figured out the basic beats of your story?
Are you sure you remembered your plot hooks?
How good are you at making shit up on the fly?

The first time I dmed it was a disaster. But at least 5th is way easier for noobs than 3.5 on character creation, this is going to take most of the evening.
>>
>>53527886
I feel fairly confident in my role playing abilities thanks to WoW RP.

I'm more concerned about mechanically running the game;
are there any particular charts anyone would suggest printing out and taping to my DM screen?
>>
I also took the liberty of making their characters for them--letting them choose their class, race, and background. Which was kind of like pulling teeth. They're noobs.

But I chose their starting stats and equipment to save time.
>>
>>53527830
>>53528002

Sounds like it's going to be a wreck and that you're doing this for all the wrong reasons
>>
>>53527830
The odds are it's gonna be a wreck, but the next time will be easier. I recommend cutting down to four or three players, seven is too much - the play will be anout the one or two players who are the loudest with the rest of them tagging along and waiting for their turn (which never arrives). It can also paralyze the decision making either with constant disagreements or everyone expecting the other guy to suggest a course of action.
>>
>>53527830
>>53527948
>>53528002

You're laying the bait on a little thick m8, it may still walk because this board is autism incarnate, but you could do a lot better. 5/10
>>
>>53528410
Still work*
>>
>>53527830
> never ran a game before
> super new to TTRPGs in general
> three friends (players) are all older than me with at least four decades of experience between them
> one lends me a cut-down Delta Green rules list
> mish-mash four pre-made characters together
> game is based on the SCP mythos
> the players are all new members of the Foundation
> one was a grizzled Foundation Agent wanted to get back out into the field after
> second was a paranormal investigator who got brought in and hired after finding out about the Foundation while on a job
> third was a Foundation scientist who had recently been transferred for some more 'hands-on' experience
> i had no idea what the fuck i was doing
> decided to go whole hog
> did up information dossiers of the SCP they'd be hunting
> maps of the surrounding areas
> floor plans of the Site the SCP escaped from
> psychological profiles of important NPCs at the Site
> i felt it was a clusterfuck
> they said they absolutely fucking loved it afterwards
> one player said they loved how I mimicked an NPCs stuttering, frightened voice at a mistake that led to the SCP being released, because errors like that are often not forgiven
> they didn't realise it was because they had asked a question I hadn't anticipated and I was legitimately freaking out while figuring out how to respond

Never got around to playing a second game.
>>
Yeah, I remember my first time GMing. I was shit at it. It was great anyway.
>>
>>53527830
The first time is always a mess for various reasons. But I'm particularly ashamed of my first session, because hardly anyone got the kick out of it.

>got the idea of running a game, gathered five lost souls
>was reading up on things for about two months
>have a play-by-post background and never thought things will be super different at the table
>discussed everybody's character separately, in person, for like two hours
>made a setting primer for measly (to me) 40 pages
>really liked the idea of Pathfinder
>built the characters myself
>had an inexplicably stupid idea to introduce everybody gradually through basically cutscenes
>three people bored out of their minds at the first hour
>paladin snowflake is the happiest because he got the most attention
>nothing went as planned, had to improvise and the improv was shit
>realized how bad I am at showcasing the setting when I don't have the time to write my response
>managed to end it at somewhat promising cliffhanger

Next sessions went better, still were clusterfuck for me but we had some great moments everybody remembers still. Also 5e just came out so we switched to that. I also constantly tried to ‘fix’ rules so people got tired of their charsheets changing almost each session.
The main lessons I got from it, pick up the book, let people make their characters no matter how bad they can be at it, choose or make the simplest decent adventure you can think of, and stick your thespian’s / writer’s ambitions up the ass.
>>
>>53527830
Finishing up my first 2 year long One Piece campaign, it was supposed to be 1 year but the players started a criminal pirate syndicate. I've been told I'm a jammin' GM. Starting a super hero campaign with another group soon. I'm surprised things have gone as smoothly as they have.
>>
File: s-03f6ZGRBo.jpg (31KB, 542x600px) Image search: [Google]
s-03f6ZGRBo.jpg
31KB, 542x600px
>>53527830
>group of three friends: forever dm, me and other guy
>never dmed before
>decided to run a game in forever dm's setting because there was annoying plot hole in our previous adventure and I wanted to fix it
>players are supposed to be travellers who got in the fight with some sort of cyberdemon but was saved by a group of mercenaries
>campaign starts in the hospital
>doctor NPC: "hello, we saved you and now you need to pay us for potions and medk-
>forever dm grabs a bunch of syringes from the table and attacks medic
>other guy stole medic's pants and fucked him in the ass because his character was gay war veteran
>mfw
>whole session is a clusterfuck of them trying to blow up the camp and guards trying to throw them in prison

It was retarded but fun as hell
Second game was less mental and ended on a cliffhanger of players trying to escape on the camel and getting ambushed by wolfs
Never dmed ever since
>>
>>53527830
I spent 2 hours builing characters for 3 players, by myself, in front of them.
Session ran for 5 more hours. They crossed one street, ran away from one guy, then died in a bar fight.

If memory serves, I openly picked on one of the players?
>>
>>53527865
This. You're either 13 and trying to sound 19, or you're 50+ trying to sound 19.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.