[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been planning on running a Chrono Trigger campaign.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (159KB, 700x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 700x640px
I've been planning on running a Chrono Trigger campaign. How would you run one?
>>
>>53526866
Probably with Gurps to account for the wide array of abilities/equipment/guns.

Give people bonuses for combining moves/technology/gun shots somehow.

Let people pic -any- race or class or randomly generate them so you have crazy combos of shit like
>tengu magic theif with exploding laser javelins.
>Pineapple man sewer surfer from the time when the peoples of magic ruled.
>Ancient futuristic caveman from the past future who eats metal.
>>
I wouldn't.
>>
>>53526866
Chrono Trigger as a setting doesn't really lend itself to sequels. It would have to be Chrono Trigger esque in terms of setting. I think I agree with everything >>53526967 said.

I'll second GURPS. It's an incredibly good system for this kind of thing due to its flexibility. Have a defined history of the world (it can basically be our own history, with whatever fantastical additions you see fit).

The characters also need to be iconic, with definite, unique fighting styles. This personally makes me think of 5e, which I've found does shonen style gameplay pretty well.
>>
>>53526866
I'd take the core idea, scrap the setting, and tune the tone to be about 30% more goofing off because players.

Then just run not-chrono trigger and have good time with your time fuckers.
>>
>>53527156
This is how I'd do it, too. You're better off trying to write your own story using elements and themes from CT.
>time travel as a core element
>messing with things across eras to change the future in subtle and useful ways
>wildly diverse party from different time periods
>powerful dual and triple techs that emphasize the party working together during battle
>an overall lighthearted tone emphasizing cool action over drama
>a party member gets completely obliterated, preferably by the main villain, and there's an entire quest to bring him back to life
>>
>>53527105
>>Chrono Trigger as a setting doesn't really lend itself to sequels

Uhhh...

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Chrono_Cross
>>
>>53526866
I would go either with Savage Worlds, which is more cinematic than GURPS and would fit the tone of CT better IMO, or with a good narrative system if rules-lite is to your taste.
>>
>>53526967
>>Give people bonuses for combining moves/technology/gun shots somehow.

Wushu actually demands that sort of thing from players.

http://danielbayn.com/wushu/
>>
>>53528400
And chrono cross ended up being absolutely terrible
>>
>>53526866
It's a generic RPG setting for the most part, just includes a bit of time travel.

Just do D&D because there isn't much unique mechanically for you to implement from the overrated jRPG besides the team attacks, to which you'd have to create from scratch regardless because they're character-specific and cannot simply be copied.

You can't really even have characters be from different eras because you'll have to have everyone start from the same spot.
>>
>>53528518
That's definitely the minority opinion. It was one of the highest rated games of all time.
>>
>>53526866
Refluffed 4e. Everyone, whether theyre a frog with a sword, a sort-of vampire, or an inventor chick can do cool stuff that operrate largely on the same chassis and power-level, also everyone is an animu-hero. That might not be how you like your D&D, but you can be damn sure that's how Chrono-Trigger works
>>
>>53528400
You're kind of proving my point for me.
>>
>>53528567
You can't just call something "the minority opinion" just because it's wrong.
>>
File: 1495833647119.jpg (45KB, 564x467px) Image search: [Google]
1495833647119.jpg
45KB, 564x467px
>>53528567
Yeah, at the time, by reviewers who didn't play it fully and were likely getting commission for slavering over it. The passage of history has revealed it for what it was; a decent game that hamfisted its connection to its first so poorly it shit the metaphorical bed. In other words, a typical vidya.

>>53527105
I'm trying to learn GURPS; any sites or pdfs that allow retards like me to get a decent grasp of mechanics?
>>
>>53528518
You sir are a troll or you suck at videos games and should stick to table tops you butt plug
>>
>>53526967
I'm gonna -1 this. You want a combat system that allowsbplayers tobstunt together, not a simulationist library that won't ever come up again past character creation.

Yes, GURPS is a big boy in the timetravel department, but Chrono Trigger is way too stylized and simple for the stupid amount of buy in you need to work with GURPS, for 0 gain even if you do go through with it.
>>
>>53528400
So you agree with him
>>
>>53526967
>Let people pic -any- race or class or randomly generate them so you have crazy combos of shit like
Sounds more like RIFTS(tm)(c)(p) to me.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.