[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's a setting where (almost) everyone has unique powers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: hella no.png (69KB, 287x250px) Image search: [Google]
hella no.png
69KB, 287x250px
>it's a setting where (almost) everyone has unique powers and there's hardly any way to quantify things
>hey guys whats the best system to run [setting] in? How do we homebrew this setting xd

When will you people get a clue?
>>
>>53502174
Wild Talents/Mutants and Masterminds.

Superhero systems are pretty good for that kind of thing.
>>
>>53502174
>>53502246
In all seriousness, yeah wild talents.

my last party in that system had an angry trashcan and a kitten with pyrotechnics, and they were just as valid as the weird kid batman guy
>>
>>53504862
please note this was not a serious game. don't take this as an example of the average wild talents game
>>
>>53502174
>its a setting where everyone has unique powers and there's hardly anyway to quantify it
>uses homosuck image
top fucking kek
>>
>>53502174
I want people to stop asking "how do I make this flavor of the month show into an RPG?" when said show's setting doesn't even exist outside of the main characters and plot.
>>
>>53506119
No you don't get it this [thing] is SO /tg/ related
>>
>>53502174
You are CLEARLY trying to do a homestuck RPG.
What you do is you make a map of your house, a map of everything in it, forget about sylladexes except as quirks for failed rolls and shit (since the only thing they ever did was discard important items at inopportune times and flavor), and come up with sizes for all the important items you need to drop.
Since punchcards will eventually come into play, make it so that players must argue what comes out of their wacky combinations, and assign better stats for more grist cost and more complicated combos.
>>
>>53506453
Is it a good thing I've actively avoided learning what Home Stuck is?
>>
>>53506563
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=4

Read this. It's problem sleuth. Generally agreed to be superb, like 1/12th the length of homestuck. It's a silly gay old romp through a pseudo adventure game setting with quest-style user input.

It's the same guy, but his earlier work.
>>
>>53502246
M&M is virulent farbage and I do not understand how people keep reccomending it. The very core of the game, the powers creation, is so fundamentally broken and in need of GM arbitration that the game is just an incredibly shitty D20 derivate with whatever fucking powers the GM hands you. You could play 5e with made up powers handed out to everyone and it'd be functionally the same.
>>
>>53509390
This is literally the first time I've seen MnM criticized. It's not a system I've ever used.

Is it really that bad?
>>
>>53502174
FATE?

You just stat it out as an aspect.

Worlds in Peril also had a pretty nice system where you define what your power is, then make example uses of limits.
>>
>>53509400
The game is upfront about the fact that it's broken, and it really is. I've seen people make OP characters by accident, and if you actually try to optimize, it's easy enough to make infinite godzilla summoner. As long as people are able to restrain themselves and not play competitively, it works.

There's no sense in trying to treat it like a game with objectives and progression, though. It's more of an improv exercise with rules, although it's not bad for that.
>>
>>53509400
I think it loses a lot out on pretending to try to be balanced mechanically. It leads to needless complexity, since in the end you need to self regulate anyway.

I think games that use a more narrative approach (like actual comic books do, where Batman and Flash somehow are able to coexist on the same "level") are much more elegant about it.
>>
>>53509643
>I think it loses a lot out on pretending to try to be balanced mechanically.
But it doesn't pretend to be balanced. It says right in the book that it's unbalanced and easily broken.
>>
>>53509682
This is what I mean though. It's unbalanced and easily broken... but it uses point costs and more complex than needed calculations for character building... why exactly? What is the benefit?

The game's broken anyway.
>>
>>53506044
>>53506453
>homestuck
itspb SBaHJ you fat nasty trash
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.