[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm sure you get a lot of threads like this, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: maskyo.jpg (58KB, 540x796px) Image search: [Google]
maskyo.jpg
58KB, 540x796px
Hey guys, I'm sure you get a lot of threads like this, but I'll add one more to the pile.
I got a group of five friends, including me, and we want to try playing D&D over the summer.
We've never really something like this before, and nobody around here has either, so I can't ask them for help.
What should we do in terms of what version, because I know there's a lot, and if you know any guides on how to play for absolute beginners.
>>
Don't play D&D.

No, really. It'll be almost trivial to find something easier to learn and probably better suited to your needs than just about any version of D&D.
>>
>>53498413
This.

Try Savage Worlds. It's easy to learn and can do much of the things beginners usually look for in D&D.
>>
>>53498350
D&D 5E is the best and most current version.

Start with the Starter Set, it has a good adventure called Mines of Phandelver in it.
>>
>>53498413
>>53498489
At least post a link to the quick start rules. Like this.
Thirding Savage Worlds by the way
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/TD06.pdf
>>
>>53498504
>D&D 5E is the best
We could debate that till the end of time.

Personally, if you must stick with D&D, might as well go way back to Moldvay's Basic D&D or BECMI. They're meant for beginners and come with pretty basic and uncomplicated rules for you to learn.
>>
>>53498350
You want something really simple for your first time and D&D isn't really that. You're better off grabbing Risus, GURPS Ultra Lite or FAE.
You can find these for free with some googling
>>
>>53498350
Don't play D&D.

Play this: >>53498510
Or this: https://fate-srd.com/
Or even this: www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG31-0004
>>
File: 1468785675847.jpg (131KB, 960x870px) Image search: [Google]
1468785675847.jpg
131KB, 960x870px
>>53498350
D&D 5e.

It's the latest version and combines good aspects of previous systems into a more modern shell.
Any FLGS will have it, order it, or run it instore. There may be a league or two as well.
If you have to search for online games (roll20), D&D 5e is the most popular and will net you more games.
The system itself, tries to be a "catch-all" and mostly succeeds but there are better, or more focussed systems out there. Start with D&D and then move on to a system more suited to you, once you develop a playstyle. Or don't.

This board has an irrational hatred for all things popular and D&D is still king of the castle when it comes to ttrpgs.
There's a reason you can say "Dungeons & Dragons" in a crowded room and everyone will know what you're talking about. Unlike Savage Worlds, GURPs, Cyberpunk, Ars Magica, blah blah blah.
>>
>>53498988
>There's a reason you can say "Dungeons & Dragons" in a crowded room and everyone will know what you're talking about. Unlike Savage Worlds, GURPs, Cyberpunk, Ars Magica, blah blah blah.

Is he going to go say "Dungeons & Dragons" in a crowded room, though? He's just looking to find something to play with a bunch of friends, all of them new to this, and irrational hatred aside the fact remains that no version of D&D is the best thing for that.
>>
>>53498350
DnD 5e or bust. All the "Don't play DnD" posters have an agenda to push, and are motivated by the fact that their system are nowhere as popular.
>>
>>53499026
>He's just looking to find something to play with a bunch of friends, all of them new to this, and irrational hatred aside the fact remains that no version of D&D is the best thing for that.

Go play Life or Monopoly if its "just something to play over the summer". Looking into ttrpgs means cultivating an interest in the hobby.
Sure, they might drop it after session one, but normally stepping into a tabletop hobby/game leads somewhere.

I've never met someone who committed to playing an rpg and wasn't still playing 10 years later. D&D is the most recognizable and offers the most resources from everyday sources. It's easy to get, easy to start, and easy to move on from if need be.
>>
>>53498744
>Gurps LITE
Wrong boy
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0032
ULTRA LITE is for beginners
>>
>>53499180
>Looking into ttrpgs means cultivating an interest in the hobby.
Then D&D is very definitely not for that.

D&D is baby's first RPG. Might as well skip the first step since there are actually better RPGs for that purpose out there.
>>
>>53499180
>easy to move on from if need be.
Which is why you hear so many horror stories about groups that refuse to move on from D&D, despite it being awful for anything but dungeon crawling...
>>
>>53499339
>Which is why you hear so many horror stories about groups that refuse to move on from D&D, despite it being awful for anything but dungeon crawling...
Except you don't. /tg/ can't stop bitching about bad groups and bad D&D while finding alternate systems is almost entirely pointless outside this board.
People stick with D&D for a reason. Whatever those reasons are, you're in a much better position to find a game, literally anywhere, if it's D&D as opposed to another system.

Learn the system, take it anywhere and if need be, develop a following to some other obscure game you can play with friends. If this were about CCGs, the prevailing wisdom of this thread would be, "Play Blood Wars, cuz MtG sucks."
>>
>>53498744
>suggesting FATE
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.