[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red flag thread? Red flag thread! >describes bathing in character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 27

File: 1343013298572.jpg (116KB, 819x630px) Image search: [Google]
1343013298572.jpg
116KB, 819x630px
Red flag thread? Red flag thread!
>describes bathing in character

>"Lol your character is ugly"

>"Dude, stop talking I want to roll already."

>DM has a major NPC make it clear it wants to fuck your character first session (bonus points if this was a private session with the DM to catch your new character up to the party)
>>
>>53494724
>This game will be going into epic levels

>Evil characters allowed

>"Adult themes to be expected" (surprise the theme is always rape)
>>
>>53494724
>we will mostly be using homebrew for this campaign
or just
>homebrew is allowed
>>
File: NO_elf.png (601KB, 807x778px) Image search: [Google]
NO_elf.png
601KB, 807x778px
>>53494724
>We're rolling for stats
>This will be an evil campaign
>>DM uses alignments at all
>"Can I/We'll be using my homebrew!"
>"This will be a "political intrigue" campaign!"
>One or more (but not all) the players are the DM's IRL friends
>>Bonus points if one of them is his girlfriend
>>>Bonus bonus points if she's the DM. Like just fucking find a new game at this point.
>>>>Bonus bonus bonus points if she says she'll be LESS biased because of their relationship.
>>
>>53494724
>When the DM is Jewish

Fucking deal breaker , I just leave immediately.
>>
>>53495039
How can the DM's girlfriend be the DM?
>>
>>53495078
I'm positive this is bait but care to explain?
>>
>>53495104
Asking the real questions here
>>
>>53495104
surprise the DM has split personality disorder and two personalities are fucking......actually that might just be the best DM ever
>>
>>53494724
> Someone declares themselves the party leader without consulting anyone else.
>>
>>53495114
I want to be able to order a pizza with pork products on and run sessions on a saturday
>>
>>53495114
They're usually neurotic and not fun to play with. Fuck em
>>
>>53495039
>This will be an evil campaign
>DM uses alignments at all

Got these 3 going on, but everything's great
>>
>>53495137
No is not
It's just him shoehorn in his imaginary waifu into everything, and listening to him argue with himself.
>>
>>53494724
>"Dude, stop talking I want to roll already."

Not an immediate red flag and it depends on the situation. For example: if I'm playing with you, A and B, and you and B are having a loud, tangential conversation about milk duds in the middle of combat, then im going to tell you to shut up so I can give my action to the DM and roll my dice.

Things I find are red flags:
>Smoke pot at all
>drink more than 1 alcoholic beverage per hour during the session
>bring a completed character sheet to session 0
>uttering the phrase, "Well, in my old group, we did it like this...."
>your favorite superhero is Batman.
>>
>>53495688
>your favorite superhero is Deadpool.

Fixed the last one for you.
>>
>>53495834
>you read comic books at all
FTFY
>>
File: download (6).jpg (31KB, 465x298px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
31KB, 465x298px
>>53494724
>"What's the safe word for this campaign?"
>"I want to play a genderfluid kitsune."
>"Your depiction of trans persons in medieval England is extremely problematic."
>"Soo...which splatbooks are banned?"
>>
>>53495834
I could add a laundry list of comic characters that are red flags.

>>53495850
People who don't read comics still have a favorite super hero and can still be annoying about it.
>>
>>53494843
>Evil characters allowed
Despite the harping about this, I've never seen anyone except myself and someone who agreed to be in the GM's pocket play an evil character.
>>
>>53495886
>>"What's the safe word for this campaign?"
>>"I want to play a genderfluid kitsune."
>>"Your depiction of trans persons in medieval England is extremely problematic."
No one ever says that.
>>
>>53494724
>GM is disorganized
>GM is unable to accept criticism
>GM takes away XP if you miss a session, even if you give them a warning long before game starts.
>GM has an unhealthy obsession with backstory and won't accept that character development happens during play
>GM ignores or changes rules in the game and doesn't let anyone know until just before they try to use the rule.
>GM calls anyone who dislikes his house rules or wants to play the game normally a "rollplayer."
>GM is willing to kick out most of the party because "I have players lined up to take your place if you get out of line."
>GM creates balanced encounters where we always fight things that are at our level.
>GM accuses you of metagaming if you do logical actions without a knowledge roll (i.e. packing torches to hunt down a troll).
>GM injects his personal views (politics, religion, morality, etc.) into his campaign and punishes you if you don't share his opinion.

I could go on, /tg/ really is shit for gaming.
>>
>>53496338
This every hive mind /tg/ meme in a single post, including the meme that the GM is the source of everything bad that can happen in a game.
>>
>>53495688
>bring a completed character sheet to session 0
What exactly is wrong with this?
Unless you are radically changing from the established norm (which you should have told the players about from the word go), it's fairly easy to alter nearly any character concept.
>>
>>53496332
>>>"What's the safe word for this campaign?"
>No one ever says that.

My RPG association, the only one in a very large city, has this as a condition of playing games and listing games on their site. They're called X-cards in some circles.

Just because you're not aware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>53496332
Let's just say threads like these are seldom very concerned with such trifles.
>>
>>53496387
That's because the GM IS usually at fault with everything bad that can happen in the campaign. Even a problem player is the GM's fault because the GM didn't put his foot down and either talk to them or give them the boot.

It sucks but that's what happens when you step up to a leadership position, everything's your fault but you get to take the credit for someone else's input.
>>
File: 1494296863619.gif (1MB, 161x190px) Image search: [Google]
1494296863619.gif
1MB, 161x190px
>>53495039
>>We're rolling for stats
Oh noooo, now you super perfect build you've memorized and mastercrafted might not come into fruition(or it might turn out you have better stats then you even planned to PB). Whatever will happen now? How will anon survive?
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 5, 5, 2, 1, 4, 4, 4, 6, 1, 1, 1, 4, 2, 3, 3, 5 = 60 (18d6)

>>53496567
Either you end up with an outlier who fucks up the curve and imbalances the party or you reroll until you get the stats you want, which ruins the whole point of rolling for shit in the first place.
>>
>>53496421
The people who do this are uncompromising when it comes to their character. They tend to be incredibly stubborn and confrontational when I ask them to change something. Maybe I've changed how a particular feat works or parts of their back story are unsuitable for the campaign I'm running. Also, we roll stats as a group (3d6 per stat per player. Everyone divides the dice as a group so stats are relatively even for each character), so we need everyone to participate in that. They also might not be aware of my house rules. These are the reasons I always have a session 0, so we can talk about all of this stuff.

If you bring a completed character to my session 0, be ready to change it and compromise (I usually don't outright say no, i say, "yes, but" or "yes, and".), or be ready to leave the table.
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 1, 1, 1, 3, 4, 4, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 4, 5, 1, 4 = 65 (18d6)

>>53496628
STR: 14 (+2)
DEX: 8 (-1)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 9 (-1)
CHA: 11 (0)

Okay, so I the only thing I could possibly be is a shitty Fighter. I'm gonna reroll this.
>>
>>53496658
The only people who were like that were people who I have thrown out of my group. I will have a strong concept, maybe even put it to pen, but accept that sometimes you need to change up how you go about your shit.
My gear grinder?
>You have your character concept greenlit by the GM and write it out, but have that green light revoked later because of another player
I was absolutely furious.
>>
>>53496628
>Outlier who fucks up the curve
>My system can't handle having one player more powerful then the point buy
>My DM is incompetent and sees powerful players as difficulties, instead of using the opportunity to use more enemy/types of enemy's and have a little fun
>My system is fundamentally flawed enough that a player on the higher end will make a lower end player overshadowed
>DM doesn't allow stat rerolls
Shame.
>>
Rolled 1, 4, 1, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 6, 1, 6, 6, 1, 4 = 54 (18d6)

>>53496685
STR: 13 (+1)
DEX: 5 (-3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 15 (+2)
CHA: 10 (0)
Reroll
>>
>>53495850
>Implying Deadpool fans read comic books
>>
Rolled 4, 1, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1, 5, 1, 2, 4, 4, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 4 = 56 (18d6)

>>53496782
STR: 6
DEX: 12
CON: 5
INT: 8
WIS: 13
CHA: 11
Ech, even worse, reroll!
>>
>>53496762
>rerolls

If you are going to reroll until everyone is happy with their stats, why fucking bother and just dispose of the whole rigmarole and do point buy and get on with the fucking game?
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 6, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3, 1, 2, 6, 5, 3, 1, 2, 1, 2, 5 = 63 (18d6)

>>53496822
STR: 10
DEX: 10
CON: 7
INT: 10
WIS: 6
CHA: 13
Reroll!
>>
>>53496833
Only War did it, it turns out fine. Reroll but keep the second result, so it's a risk/reward for the players right off the bat. You don't like that lower stat? Well you might raise it, or loose out even more.

>>53496855
You're only succeeding in making yourself look stupid.
>>
Rolled 6, 1, 6, 3, 2, 4, 4, 6, 1, 3, 1, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 2 = 52 (18d6)

>>53496855
STR: 15
DEX: 12
CON: 8
INT: 9
WIS: 8
CHA: 8
>>
>>53496782
These are better stats then most of my characters have - I would probably reroll it only to get lower ones!
>>
>>53495519

>Shows up at session
>Anime girl body pillow is in the DM's seat

I don't know what I would say or do to be honest.
>>
>>53496895
Compare all the time that I spent rerolling just to get dicked over by RNG
>>53496628
>>53496685
>>53496782
>>53496822
>>53496855
>>53496901
to the time it would've taken to assign my stats from an array of 15/14/12/12/10/8 or point buy.

I could theoretically reroll an infinite number of times but at that point, I might as well just use point buy just so I don't start off play as a gimped character who probably won't survive their first encounter anyways.

Rolling just doesn't work in modern D&D like it did in 1e or 2e.
>>
File: 1480152653851.png (110KB, 254x255px) Image search: [Google]
1480152653851.png
110KB, 254x255px
>>53494724
>DM makes us roll endowment of our characters
>>
>>53496992
Except none of those characters are bad
>>
>>53496895
I have not played Only War, does it use the same range in its rolls as the other 40k games (2d10 + Homeworld base that's between 15-25)? Also unlike D&D you can invest exp in stats to improve them. Unless the DM makes stat increasing items available rolling low at the beginning means you're stuck forever there.

The worst rolling scheme I've ever seen was the one in the original Deadlands. You can make character's that are literally hundreds of exp apart in effectiveness (in a game where you're expected to get 2-4 exp a session). I recently played it for the first time and the DM shit a brick when he saw difference in exp from a good draw and a bad one. For giggles we did the math for the best, worst, middle draws in our five man game. The best draw was about 350 exp better than middle guy and about 500 better than the low guy. Shit is insane.
>>
>>53497015
They are in modern D&D as the game's math expects characters to be within certain ranges.
>>
>>53496797
Deadpool is a litmus test. More enjoyable the story, more likely the main line story is shit
>>
>>53496746
Yeah, you'd be cool at my table. These games are all built on mutual respect and compromise.

>green light revoked
That would poss me off to no end. Another that goes along with that
> talk with the GM about my character
>mostly play the party face, want a strong, silent type as a change of pace
>GM says okay
>knowing full well two other character concepts from players
>one is a monk who took a how vow of silence
>The other got into trouble, had his throat slashed by gangsters. Lived, but can't talk.

I ragequit that game. Granted, I overreacted, but why would you play something knowing full well it won't work at the table? If she had said, "look, that's cool and all, but you need to bring a different character because reasons" that would be fine. But don't laugh as all our characters realize at the same time that no one will be talking during this game.
>>
>One of the players is consistently playing characters of the opposite gender.
>Not once in a while, not sometimes - nearly all of the time.
Always makes me think.
>>
>>53494724
>Answers a challenge to an action's feasibility by talking about how cool it would be.
>>
>>53497015
Except they literally are since more than half the stats are under 10 and the highest stat I've rolled after six separate rolls wasn't even higher than a 15. Hell, I couldn't even qualify for the bulk of classes if I wanted to in 5e since only like one or two stats are actually higher than a 13.

Compare with an array, where racial modifiers would allow me to either start off with a 17, two 16's, two 13's, or three 12's depending on where I assign them and what sorta modifiers I receive while still being even with the rest of the party.
>>
>>53494724
>One of the players posts on /tg/
>>
>>53497064
Not really - There are a lot of ways to get away with lows stats - low dex or strength are easy ones for example.
>>
File: 1471557395650.jpg (56KB, 313x254px) Image search: [Google]
1471557395650.jpg
56KB, 313x254px
A few from my short experience with Dark Heresy...

>"I want to play a psyker"
>"I want to be an [insert xeno race]?" Double points for Ork
>"Im with the inquisition why dont I get whatever I want?"
>constantly taking aggressive actions and then demanding they be undone the second things dont go their way
>player does some extremely in depth corrections to the GMs use of some rules
>players that demand rolls be made in the open
>people who intensly argue for rules as written over rules as intended/what makes sense
>>
>>53497170

OH absolute red flag bro.
>>
>>53497170
Absolute deal breaker
>>
File: Crane2.jpg (297KB, 643x813px) Image search: [Google]
Crane2.jpg
297KB, 643x813px
>>53497170
>One of the players is a janitor on /tg/
>>
>>53497032
Only War keeps it flat for everyone at 20+2d10, then normally each homeworld/regiment gives you flat bonuses of +/-3 to 1-3 stats.

Never played that system but, that seems like a concerning design flaw. I mean fuck, in OW at least being 500 xp apart would at most mean one guy is better in his distinct role (and not by much beyond 1k) then another guy is in his distinct role, or someone with a half-buy discount gets 2 tier one talents (nothing to brag about) or 1 tier 2 (again, also not too much of a big deal). At least no ones feels under powered.

Is the system fun though?

>>53497015
I really feel like online rollers have a wierd tendancy to roll towards the medium, so you'll never super high or low stats. Your rolls all seem to have a +/- 1 distribution of negative and positive bonuses. Isn't this fine?

Also, I'm not dismissing you, but you'd get a standard distribution after like, ~35 rolls. 6 times is enough that a bell curve hasn't been established yet. Which can lead to the point that sometimes you'll have better characters then other. At the end, it's the systems fault if rolling better/worse leads to players having such glaring discrepancies that someone has less fun.
>>
>>53497182
There really isn't though.
>Can't qualify for a class if the requisite stat isn't a 13 or higher
>Shit STR means you can't fight in melee.
>Shit DEX means you can't fight at range or with DEX weapons, have shit AC, and shit initiative.
>Shit CON means you won't have much HP.
>Shit WIS means your passive perception is going to be crap.
>Shit INT/WIS/CHA means your spell DC's and spell modifiers are going to be garbage.
>Resources that work off of a stat will make it so said resource becomes scarce.
>Spells that gain a modifer from a stat become less effective.
>Saving throws tied to that stat are going to be garbage.
To say nothing on how the CR math for encounters assumes that everyone in the party has stats that are around the same level as the array.

It's just not feasible to escape a shit stat in modern D&D and if you think I'm lying, congrats, because the GM took pity on you and played with the kid gloves on to make sure you didn't die during your first encounter.
>>
>>53497379
Had such situation occur in PvP situation - kobold with low stats nuked good stat paladin in two rounds - no crits or anything, just good play.
>>
>>53495688
>uttering the phrase, "Well, in my old group, we did it like this...."
I do this sometimes, but I explicitly tell the GM that me saying that doesn't mean I want him to change his way of doing things. I bring it up when there are rule discrepancies and the GM wants input on how to solve them.
forcing your gm to do anything, though, is really shitty.
>>
>>53497419
So are you going to explain how that happened? Because shit rolls doesn't constitute as "good play" and anything that he did could've been done easier with good stats.
>>
File: FOR FREE.jpg (54KB, 508x512px) Image search: [Google]
FOR FREE.jpg
54KB, 508x512px
>>53497258
>he's a "dungeon master"
>on the internet
>for random roll20 groups
>he does it for free
>he takes his "job" very seriously
>he does it because it is the only amount of power & control he will ever have in his pathetic life
>he deletes campaigns he doesn't like because whenever he gets upset he has an asthma attack
>he deletes campaigns he doesn't like because they interfere with the large backlog of little girl chinese cartoons he still has to watch
>he will never have a real job
>he will never move out of his parent's house
>he will never be at a healthy weight
>he will never know how to cook anything besides a hot pocket
>he will never have a girlfriend
>he will never have any friends
>>
>>53496433
Are those like ~*trigger warnings*~ or something? I've seen "GMs" on roll20 talk about that sorta thing on their profile page.
>>
>>53497501
Kobolds are small and can fit in small spaces - gave opportunity to avoid getting in range - rest was done by spells that do damage even on succesful save - also low stats make for best characters that might be first to die but one to survive for longest as well.
>>
>>53497064
What is bounded accuracy for 20?
>>
>>53497316
The Deadlands itself is pretty fun, we were just shocked at the power disparity between characters. The GM had everyone do multiple rolls and then we picked the sets that all had similar power levels.
>>
>>53496332
Half his examples are bullshit, but the X card exists which is basically the equivalent of the safe word
>>
>>53497549
Which makes those penalties all the harsher as bonuses are that much rarer....
>>
>>53496338
>>GM creates balanced encounters where we always fight things that are at our level
I don't get it, what's the joke behind this anon?
>>
>>53497548
>Kobolds are small and can fit in small spaces - gave opportunity to avoid getting in range - rest was done by spells that do damage even on succesful save
Okay, how could this have only been done with shit stats though?
>also low stats make for best characters that might be first to die but one to survive for longest as well.
Okay, that has nothing to do with the argument though.
>>
>>53497846
Because low stats make you think and get creative as usual ways are no longer available
>>
>>53497525
The X card, as far as I remember, is a card all the players have around the table, and if a situation that makes them uncomfortable in some way pops up they can hold it up to stop the game and make the GM change it on the fly, which can be extra annoying if it's important to the game.

I've heard of it used for menial shit like a woman chained to a wall In a dungeon. Not a creepy sex dungeon, just a regular ass dungeon.
>>
>>53497845
No joke, players shouldnt necessarily be balanced against every fight they come across. Some battles should be a lot more challenging and above their abilities to force them to think of different ways around the problem rather just face-fighting every encounter because everything is balanced around them
>>
>>53497890
Sheesh, I'd avoid those kinda games like the plague, honestly. Not worth the trouble if you're playing with delicate children.
>>
>>53497845
Balanced encounters means that you'll always fight enemies that can be taken out within 1-3 rounds using smart play and good luck, which means that no matter how many levels you gain or how many abilities you master, you're still just as strong at the end of the campaign as you are in the beginning.

It also encourages people to just spam the same no-cost moves over and over again at the cost of strategy since most of the enemies they fight will still fold in the same time frame regardless of what they do, barring skipping their turns for whatever reason.

Lastly, it makes the setting seem more artificial since everything you fight is always at your level, when in reality a large setting with a diverse ecosystem of creatures to fight would have creatures that are below or above your level to force you to consider how you approach each enemy.
>>
>>53497879
Okay, that still has nothing to do with the argument since any creativity that a character with low stats could employ could just as easily be done by a character with high stats, probably to greater effect as well.
>>
>>53497900
Can you honestly go through a day or two poking through the average thread on /tg/ and proclaim that anyone here is a functioning adult?
>>
>>53495145
Depends on the player/characters. My character, the reluctant but savvy rogue will occasionally just completely overrun the decisions of the dumb sorceror and spineless paladin and its always a fun power dynamic.
>>
>>53497900
I feel like in my RP experience, when we encountered fights that were "a lot more challenging and above [our] abilities", it typically ended up with us at least half dead. It'd blame the systems though, they weren't conducive for letting plays punch above their weight.

Nothing wrong with spicing up encounters though, making some of the players relied abilities mitigated or worthless, making them think outside the box generally. Had a really funny one in RT where some eldar farseer was slaughtering my RT in melee since I didn't have multi-attacks and she had 2 weapons that inflicted extra wounds. It ended up that someone had the great idea to grapple her and pin her, which she couldn't do dick about. We proceeded to punch/kick her until she finally passed out from exhaustion.

>>53497962
>taken out within 1-3 rounds using smart play and good luck
I don't think the DM in our 5e campaign has ever given us an encounter that didn't last for 5 rounds minimum. Guess we're extra lucky/cleaver then.
>>
>>53497947
If people were adults who could approach people about things they disliked rather than veto-ing and making a fuss then they wouldn't be playing tabletop games
>>
>>53498140
Yeah, that's true.
>>
>>53494843
I have an evil character in my campaign and there's been no problem at all. He's a greedy and borderline sociopathic duergar that wants to get gems and whores.
>>
>>53497091
>vow of silence

This is definitely the most frustrating "roleplay" I could think of. Like who the fuck thinks it's a good idea.
>>
File: 1492801771948.jpg (27KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1492801771948.jpg
27KB, 500x375px
>>53497091
I feel like if that were discussed beforehand it would make for an absolutely hilarious campaign
>>
>>53497987
My experience says otherwise - most high stat characters are generic and boring - flaws will always make for a better story.
>>
>>53498140
>Sheesh, I'd avoid those kinda games like the plague, honestly. Not worth the trouble if you're playing with delicate children.

Which is exactly why it's a red flag. It's a warning sign you'll be playing with hyper-sensitive children who will complain about everything.
>>
>>53498201
Once upon a time, a player in my party loudly hated the fact that my characters "talk too much". So for my next one, I've created a mute jedi.
I've expected to be bored and hate it myself - only bearing it long enough for him to take his words back - but I absolutely loved it. I could be very communicative, despite my character only being able to express himself through facial expressions, gestures and violence.
>>
>>53494843
I don't think evil is necessarily a red flag if the player isn't a dick about it who thinks evil=constant need to rape and pillage.

A lot of evildoers don't want to be found, and act out awful things in secret. A lot of fun side activities in my last game involved a LE character dragging us around unwittingly through his schemes all while thinking he's a stand-up dude.
>>
>>53498031
I live in Florida youd be surprised what can count as a functioning adult
>>53498092
>It ended up that someone had the great idea to grapple her and pin her, which she couldn't do dick about. We proceeded to punch/kick her until she finally passed out from exhaustion.
That is absolutely hilarious
>>
>playing a child or not!child
>playing as the opposite gender
>playing monster/beastman races
>trying to ERP
>"homebrew" setting
>obviously copied, not inspired, from movie/book/comic/TV/etc.
>"homebrew" class
>X-cards
>anything referencing anime
>anything referencing movie/book/comic/TV/etc. in general really
>CE or CN characters
>not understanding rules
>railroading
>>
>>53498452
>you can't use your own homebrewed ideas
>but you also can't copy others
>or reference anything ever

Man, you must be a lot of fun. Maybe I can come over some time for a six hour accounting party.
>>
>>53498531
Are you really ignorant enough that I need to spell it out in specific detail why those things are red flags?
>>
>>53498696
No. I already know you're a No-Fun-Allowed faggot. Why would I need you to explain that again?
>>
File: 3 of 10 I replied.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
3 of 10 I replied.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
>>53498808
>>
>>53498862
>think you're a faggot
>obviously must be bait

Thanks for playing. Try again next week.
>>
File: 1409774025775.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1409774025775.png
50KB, 250x250px
>>53494724
Player Character is trans, furry, serial killer, obese, "smells like cheese because she doesn't care about hygiene", is a cannibal. I never play online btw, seen em all IRL
>>
>>53495078
>no action
>demons must be good and angels must be evil 90% of the time
>all NPCs must have quirky obscure interests
>>
>>53497962
>when in reality a large setting with a diverse ecosystem of creatures to fight would have creatures that are below or above your level to force you to consider how you approach each enemy.
Not the one you're replying to but I'm having trouble with throwing unbalanced encounters at my players when we only get 2 to maximum three fights per game. I thinking they might not want to spend hours hitting on HP tanks.
If I want to up the difficulty I just throw more ennemies at them but somehow that feels unsatisfying (for me at least).
I just wonder how to properly balance everything while still keeping a good challenge
>>
>>53498288
Well your "experience" is not relevant to this discussion. Anything a character with low stats can do, a character with higher stats can do better.
>>
>>53499500
>I just wonder how to properly balance everything while still keeping a good challenge
The thing is, by doing so, you're making the entire world seem like less of a world and more of a theme park ride where every encounter the party faces is hand-crafted to provide them with the most fun, rather than encounters that may or may not be within the player's weight class simply because the world is much bigger than the PC's.

To put it another way, just because there's a dragon lying in front of their path doesn't mean that the party is supposed to beat it, let alone fight it. It's one of the things that separates tabletop from video games.
>>
>>53500136
Yeah I kinda get where the problem is.
Other problem is : my players are not stupid enough to go fight something they cannot fight. Which means th encouters they'll get will be what I throw at them. Should I throw them something hard and look at them dying, shredding their character sheet and go home (exagerating a bit but you get the idea) ?
Plus we are not used to high lethality campaigns.
So when its my turn to DM I would really them to experience some challenge while not ending in bitterness because I badly balanced.
I could make a thread asking for balancing tips but I don't think it needs its own thread.
Oh and while we're on dragons etc.
>>53494724
>one of newbie players plays a gnome/fidget/stupid fucker
New rule : If I can't kill the character I'll kill the player
>>
>>53500287
>my players are not stupid enough to go fight something they cannot fight.
That's good, since your players aren't idiots, start focusing on awarding XP for shit beyond combat encounters.

For example, in the games I run, sometimes they'll encounter a wandering monster that will paste them if they decide to fight it but I create an encounter where the goal is to get away without drawing attention to themselves.

One time they encountered an adult dragon and they managed to avoid it by coating themselves in mud while the mage used an illusion spell to summon an auroch as the ranger covered up their tracks with mundane and magical ability.

Even though they didn't technically defeat the encounter, they still used good play to avoid getting killed and at the end of the day, avoiding a strong enemy can still be fun if it requires just as much thought as beating them in combat.
>>
>>53497525

Yes, they're trigger warnings.

Anyone who requires a Safety Card is a person who is not welcome at my table. It isn't that I enjoy including rape or other ALL DAT EDGE themes in my games, but anyone with such a delicate mental state isn't going to have a good time and is going to prevent others from having a good time.
>>
>>53500652
To play devil's advocate here, do you really need to include such hard themes in your campaign?
>>
>>53497163
Except it doesn't matter. Stats won't help you if you keep making bad calls, or if the dice hate you. So stop wanking over your numbers and try having fun for once.
>>
>>53500736
If it truly doesn't matter then why not use an array to save time and avoid situations where someone just rerolls until they luck out with RNG?
>>
>>53500727
It's irrelevant if he does or not. The issue is their mental state. If they are in such a delicate state that you cannot even mention certain words or topics around them, then there is probably a load of other baggage coming with it. Remember, this is red flags, not "oh if they have this then it will always be bad forever and ever".
>>
>>53502252
I guess, I only ask because all too often, GM's will include shit like infanticide, rape, NTR, etc. into their campaigns just because they equate those themes with drama rather than allowing the drama to build up slowly over the course of the campaign. Like there aren't really many scenarios that outright require those topics to work and many times you could easily replaced them with something that's a bit easier for the group to swallow without affecting the feeling that they're supposed to invoke.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that you should never use such things in your campaign, I'm just saying that most people tend to use them as the go-to option to sell how evil someone is without considering alternate means that have less of a chance of upsetting the audience (which in this case would be the party).
>>
>>53502252
>>53500727
The origin of "trigger warnings" well predates tumblr and the aspies that infest it.
The idea was for dealing with veterans who had legitimate PTSD, even when it was still known as "shell shock," and not triggering them into a violent rage or flashback as they struggle to deal with reintegration into civilian lives.
This was actually important because triggering a vet was triggering someone who COULD actually hurt you, your children or anyone or anything else in the room with you.

It pisses me off how the concept has been co-opted by the cunts of tumblr who self-diagnose PTSD just because someone said something mean to them on the interwebs and who can't handle dark or scary things and so insulate themselves in a safe space so they'll never have to grow up into functioning adults.
>>
>>53499001
98% of homebrew is shit and 98% of players trying to bring in custom homebrew want it because it's broken af or meets their exact snowflake needs. It's large and legitimate red flag.
>>
>>53502667
A lot of "Exact snowflake needs" type homebrew stuff from my experience has been from people who don't understand just how much they can do with refluffing existing things in their system of choice.

Those kinds of people can be taught.
>>
>>53495039

I'm harder on my actual friends than my other players. I jam them up more, call them on their shit WAY more, and when they try shit that I feel is beyond what a regular player would deserve, I stop them.
>>
>>53498140
Well these sorts of things are usually combined with privately communicating personal triggers to the dm ahead of time. I for one get extremely uncomfortable with themes of sexual abuse and child abuse, as my partner has been a victim of it. I let the dm know ahead of time and have never needed to halt a session because they've never broached such themes.

Real people sometimes live with trauma and a fantasy game about escapism is a place many gravitate to. It seems only courteous to respect the other players' boundaries so all may have a fun positive experience.
>>
>GM/players are afraid to discuss X with person Y
>GM never says "no" to anyone during character creation
>GM is strictly against players adding any kind of lore
>Application process where players make characters without even knowing what the other PCs are (/pfg/ style)
>super-highly optimized characters with shit from 40 different books including 4 different 3rd party publishers
>female in party
>some fucker decides to talk about furry/guro/whatever freaky porn they like at the table
>body odor/poor hygiene
>"My sheet isn't ready"
>"What's my weapon damage?" (for the 10th time in one session)
>player rolls their dice "for no reaon" this guy is a cheater who will proudly proclaim he succeeded at X when he finally rolls a 20
>player is playing games on their phone/computer during the game
>GM/players getting political
>player who is contrarian just to be contrarian
>>
>>53495145
There's someone in my current constantly yucking it up about how he's 'usually the leader' in his groups then he it turns out he does fuck all most sessions before eventually trying to boss people around. I can't wait to turn shit around on him.
>>
>>53504201
Fair enough, if a player is uncomfortable with something, I'd be more than willing to leave that subject out of the game. The difference between that and the X card is the lack of communication. The X card has the caveat of "don't talk about it, just abandon what you think it was made them skeezed out," which I feel helps nobody. I much prefer being told/telling, either after the game, or even in the moment if the GM is being particularly pushy with it.
>>
>>53494724
>>"Dude, stop talking I want to roll already."
Honestly depends on the nature of the talking, but otherwise this may be the first Red Flag thread I've seen begin with honest to goodness red flags.
And they weren't even ridiculous ones.
>>
>>53494724
>we're playing (insert anything not heroic fantasy dungeon crawling here) using Pathfinder!
Fuck_this_shit_i'm_out.png
>>
>>53505827

>we're playing Pathfinder!

I tend to take this in more broad strokes myself
>>
>>53505840
I was trying to be nice, but yeah.
>>
>>53500727
Might be slightly irrelevant, but I once had a player get upset that he went to the ghetto to bust a gang, and it was full of retarded black people.

Legit complained to me after the game.

I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do. It takes place in modern times, and that's what the fuck a ghetto is going to be like. Lots of retarded people, some of which are going to be doing crack, like, shit.

Had another player who wanted to be a black guy in an Italian crime family. I told him he could, but he was going to be perpetually low-ranked and disrespected because the Mafia is real fucking shitty to anyone that's not Sicilian. He seemed annoyed and upset about that.

I'm not trying to be fucking racist, but goddammit, that doesn't mean race isn't a fucking factor in world.
>>
>>53497987
Bro chill, stats don't mean shit it's a Role Playing Game. You play a role, and if that role is the guy with low stats then figure out how to survive just like you would in real life.
>>
>>53499984
Do you play pathfinder or 3.5?
>>
>>53502667
My current Palladium Fantasy campaign is a hybrid world combining The Wheel of Time with the Palladium Fantasy world. My players think it is one of the best games they've ever played despite everything being horribly imbalanced. They are always on the run or at a severe disadvantage given the way in which magic works in The Wheel of Time. You should try to make some homebrew some time, it's really fun and makes for the best campaigns because you can make things up that make sense since it is a world that you made.
>>
>>53505688
I tend to make long flowery descriptions for the events at hand to set the scene as seen to the characters. Usually I don't mind getting interrupted for someone describing action but when they're like, "I'm gonna use diplomacy to convince him I'm his friend" While I'm describing whatever dude's retainers who all are in plate with halberds, I get pretty cranky.
>>
>>53506216
Yeah I agree with you as a DM for the most part. When making a world I like to make things feel real and as a result, you will be disadvantaged at certain things just because you are who you are. Now if the black mafia man is good enough he can advance but he'll probably spend a lot of time doing grunt work.
>>
>>53497525
Kinda. I use one in my games when I run with random people I've never met before mostly as a way to say in advance "if you do weird creepy/rapey shit, we're just gonna rewind and pretend it never happened."

I can imagine someone overusing it but I've only had it used a few times in all the RPGs and LARPs I've run and all of them were for very good reasons.
>>
>>53497138
I have a dude like that. Now i aint sayin nothin, im just sayin...
>>
>>53496628
you're supposed to roll 4d6 per stat and drop the lowest you fucking retard
>>
File: 1495766349196.jpg (172KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1495766349196.jpg
172KB, 800x1131px
>>53497170
Absolute RAGE

Most of my group is /tg/ true breeds, its genuonely shit. Fine in person, but on the chat we use to coordinate, the slightest provocation starts super passive aggressive fights
>>
>>53498288
>My subjective experience is more important than logic and math.
Okay bro.
>>
>>53506216
There's a basically unstated fantasy that a lot of people want from their modern games right up there with "less than a dozen people could dismantle a multi-national corporation using violence" and "hacking is about code, not a social skill" that goes "no one is racist".
People don't even realize it isn't everybody's desired fantasy, so they don't bother to mention it during setting building.
It'd be like a modern game playing criminals, where every bank robbery ended in a TPK from SWAT.
>>
>>53496992
Not only are you rolling stats wrong, you rerolled so many times you disgusted everyone watching.
It's 4d6 drop the lowest, make 3 rows of 6, pick one row of six, assign those numbers to a stat. Sometimes we just roll one row of six, sometimes we don't assign, but it doesn't matter because you managed to fuck up step one you literal retard. Someone even told you but you ignored everything around you and kept rerolling. If I was your DM I would've just kicked you out the second you started to reroll like you own the place.
>>
>>53507092

>Rage that makes the Baby Jesus Cry

Dude... Come up for air for a bit or something.
>>
>>53507156
>rage
I'm not angry, just annoyed that I exist at the same timeframe and the same universe as someone that stupid.
>>
>>53506970
There's a major difference between a realistic setting and realistic outcomes for the players actions.

If the game is set in the real world, it's going to be the real world. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to no-fun them into bagging groceries because that's most "realistic", but it does mean that the phenomena they witness BEFORE they act on it will be as in real life.
>>
>>53507189

I feel you man, I use point myself, but even I know how to make a statline, but you can't let gits like him rile you up.
>>
>>53506927
Have you NEVER heard the phrase, "necessity is the mother of invention"?
The guy is literally just saying that.

Maybe I can rephrase this in a way you'll understand: A player with good stats doesn't need to be creative, he has good stats.
>>
>>53497184
I just started playing my first RT game and I picked an Ork cause I like them and play them in 40k? Is this bad? Everyone including myself seem to be having a blast with him.
>>
>>53505508
The X card works best in (and was designed for) convention games like MAID and WoD and various Cthulu-like games that you could expect to be roughly PG-13, but could randomly include a bunch of drugs addicts or child rapists or spontaneous transformation of your eyes into shitting dick nipples without being out of place in the setting. If you only have 2 or three hours to play, that doesn't leave a lot of time to address problematic material.
If you aren't playing convention games, the X card is best used as a way to say "there's some shit I'm willing to play into, but the topic is fraught and I won't be sure if I can do this until you do it."
For example, I once agreed to do a game about child abuse. It was going to be extreme. I knew that. Everything was fine right up to the point that the DM put my dad into the game (he almost beat my mom to death when I was a kid).
And I was just fucking gone. Said I got a text from work, had to go, never went back. I don't know if things would have worked differently if we'd had some sort of X card ahead of time, but if we'd had one there would have been an obvious, easy way for me to tap out.
>>
>>53495688
>>drink more than 1 alcoholic beverage per hour during the session

nigga i drink 3 beers before i even arrive
>>
>>53507803
>For example, I once agreed to do a game about child abuse. It was going to be extreme. I knew that. Everything was fine right up to the point that the DM put my dad into the game (he almost beat my mom to death when I was a kid).

nigger what
>>
>>53507982
that's alcoholism
>>
>>53507987
We were playing little kids (using DRYH) and running from "the boogyman". Well my characters boogyman turned out to a physically abusive step-father. Which noped me right out the fucking place.
>>
>>53496338
>GM takes away XP if you miss a session, even if you give them a warning long before game starts.

why the fuck should you get XP for doing nothing?
>>
>>53508109
Because you're an adult with responsibilities more important with the game, and you shouldn't be punished for prioritizing them?
>>
>>53497138
I know someone like that
>>
>>53508109
The whole point of using out of game time to track XP is so that character's progress on a smooth track up the difficulty curve. If you wanted to tie character growth to accomplishment, you'd be using literally any other method of awarding XP.
>>
>>53497138
I've seen this explained with an entirely different red flag
>I've figured out everyone else always treats characters differently based on their fictional gender, so I just always play with the gender that gets treated the way I like.
>>
>>53497184
If you don't want to have psyker shenanigans in every session why are you even playing DH?
>>
>>53498201
>>53498296
This. You're still going to be "talking" as a mute character, but it's going to be by describing all the nonverbal ways you have of communicating.
>Warning: Do not let autists who don't understand nonverbal communication try this.
>>
>>53500529
>avoiding a strong enemy can still be fun if it requires just as much thought as beating them in combat.
I see, thanks
>>
File: ss+(2017-04-04+at+11.38.11).jpg (8KB, 182x192px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-04-04+at+11.38.11).jpg
8KB, 182x192px
>>53508052
this doesn't answer any questions
it doesn't explain shit
why would you ever agree to such a game
what is wrong with you
>>
>>53495688
>drink more than 1 alcoholic beverage per hour during the session
How is living under shariah law treating you, friend
>>
>>53500136
The players don't actually know what's in their weight class, because a monster's power level isn't tied to its appearance. If that dragon could be anywhere from CR 5 to 20, how are the players supposed to know they aren't supposed to fight it?
>>
>>53500727
The thing is, half the tumblr shits who feel any game they're going to be in needs an "x card" are going to be using it for stuff far more trivial than rape or torture. Look at the archives for some of the stories people post about games at conventions with "x cards," you have shit like people pulling them to avoid going in a dungeon because they're "claustrophobic" and have some "trauma" related to dark places, and then the GM has to retool everything on the fly without being able to question them to see if their conplaint is legitimate enough to outweigh how much it fucks over the other players. That's the problem of the modern culture of having to believe and do everything requested by a "victim" without having a right to question them, it allows rampant abuse of the system, whether its just annoyances like this or destroying people's lives with rape accusations that are unquestionable in a large segment of the court of public discourse; and even when the person is telling the truth, no one is allowed to try to balance out personal sensitivities with the public good without being labeled an evil bigot. I've recieved intensive treatment for severe anxiety disorders, and the first thing you learn is that getting everybody in your life to accomodate you is the best way to maintain your sensitivity, not only is it unfair to everyone around you, but it's the surest way to sabotage your treatment, which is 90% exposing yourself to your fears and learning to tolerate it. This is the main reason I doubt these whiny SJWs have any of the crippling disorders they claim to.
>>
>>53497522
Seething
>>
>>53494843
>"Adult themes to be expected"

Thanks for the idea. Guess who's players will be doing their character's taxes next session.
>>
>>53509361
Kekalek.
>>
>>53494843
>Be supervisor at work
>Casually mention to subordinates that I've played/run a few games that all petered out
>One suggests I could join his group for a one-off and see if I like it
>Intrigued, tell him I'll think about it
>Every story he tells about it involves his character raping somebody, even other players
>Yeah, no, dude, I'll pass
>>
>>53509449
>>53509361
Tax audition that devolves into shootout with the paranormal IRS might actually be pretty cool encounter.
>>
>>53507999
what are you a doctor?
>>
>>53509143
>If that dragon could be anywhere from CR 5 to 20, how are the players supposed to know they aren't supposed to fight it?
Assuming they're smart enough to ask around before delving into the forest, a local could say "oh yeah, dragons, they'll kill you, so don't."

If not, you could have the remains of a dangerous-but-not-quite-dragon-dangerous creature littering the forest a few meters from where the dragon has made its den, since the dragon would be the apex predator of that particular area. This works especially well if the party fought against the creature before and know how dangerous it is because they'll be scared and go "fuck, it took all we had to kill one of these things and now we find out something's been eating these things like chickens? Well I'm not going to fuck with whatever that thing is."
>>
>>53509204
Okay that makes more sense then.
>>
>>53495039
>"Can I/We'll be using my homebrew!"
Current DM uses a homebrew system and a homebrew world made by himself, we never spend 1h looking for a rule, and we never have arguments concerning "well, I think drows would totally react well to my actions because I've read Drizzt even though we're not in a book."
I'd pick CurrentGM over any fucker who runs a system he doesn't know off by heart in a world he knows nothing about.
We had a party of Dm+DmGF+me and we recruited two other friends of mine, which DM and DMGF didn't know. It was so bad that we waited a whole year for them to come back from canada and are now harrassing DM to start playing again because this group is awesome AF

>>53496746
Lived this. Had my character done, played 3 weeks and it was fine, then one dude started going "oh, isn't it OP ?" when I actually managed to do something cool. BLAM nerfed into oblivion. Ended up changing character.

>>53497138
Worst part is if their GF is there and they start going full LEWD lesbian style for no fucking reason. Been there, seen that, never again.

>>53505057
It's fine in not-homebrewed settings, but I really hate this in homebrews, especially if it's just for the campaign. I run homebrew and actually I love when characters come with a detailed backstory and tell me "hey, I saw this place is supposed to be medieval, can I be part of X or Y faction ?" as long as it does not imply some shitty prophecy
>>
>>53509485
>be me
>join new roll20 game after being off the site for years because I'm lonely and i want D&D to ease that
>get new DM. some English major bitch
>hands my character +1 Dragond hide with a wildshape enchantment for no reason
>has a ajor NPC spend half the session trying to fuck me (was super uncomfortable)
>Ignore it
>get kicked out before next session
Gee Tia, it's almost like you were looking for ERP then lied when i asked you and made it clear I'm not down for this
>>
>>53495688
>smoking pot at all
As a reefer user, fucking this. If I'm going to get stoned I'm not going to have anything else on my schedule, let alone something that needs me to remember rules and be attentive. I'm forgetful enough sober.
>>
>>53509204

I mean, I see your point, I really do. SJW are so over the top it's just ridiculous, they use ridiculously light situation as "triger" and give all the peoples with legitimate things that upset them a bad name. but I still like the idea of an X card, just for extreme situations and not for bullshit.

I once yelled at a GM for something like that. We were doing a pretty dark campaign, wich is fine, no problem with that, when we encontered a woman who had just miscaried. It was pretty graphic. I got really upset and told the GM to at least tone it down, and everybody got buthurt. They wanted to know why I was ok with rape victim (wich we did see just before) but not dead baby. So I told them about how I miscaried a few years back before storming off.

They actually did apologise a few day later, and we started the campaign again. Still a bit crabby about it.
>>
File: 1374788859070.jpg (9KB, 251x229px) Image search: [Google]
1374788859070.jpg
9KB, 251x229px
>>53513712
>i as a woman can't control my own emotins for a PRETEND GAME
>Just because one event reminds me of a bad event i need to bring the game to a grinding half, ruin everybody else fun and make them uncomfortable.

Boy maybe all these /rk9/ posters have a point in this thread. if you are so emotionally unstable you can't handle pretend shit even "dark" pretend shit then don't get in the hobby. Christ i don't see men get all whiny about this shit
>>
>>53513792
Well yeah, men don't talk about bullshit emotions.
>>
>>53509060
>Reddington
Patrician taste.
>Now to address the post
Well, he obviously thought he could handle it, but as for why he thought that, I can only guess. Maybe the general theme would have been fine if he hadn't ended up with something so similar to his actual trauma. Why risk it? I'd say that people do strange things under stress, my family seems to have a habit for diving headfirst into things that scare the shit out of us because we feel like the regret of not trying is worse than the chance of failure. Maybe anon was hoping to confront the topic, purposefully defy his trauma, and weaken its hold on his mind.
>>
>>53513792
>>53514009
True.
Real men are passive-aggressive faggots that sulk and say jackshit before coming to whine at /tg/ to get told to talk with the damn GM/Player.
>>
>>53514009
no but men have enough control to not have a fucking emotional outburst at the table like a fucking child
>>53514134
No that boys that think being old makes them men. When i have a bone to pick with the DM i confront him on it in private to smooth it out. not passive aggressively sulk or act like shit is fine, that even more female acting. Man the fuck up and talk to people
>>
>>53513792
Are we seriously on he same board? The board where grown-up men yell because something-something-rules-not-fair?

Look, I get it, I did overreact. I still did politly ask the guy to tone down the descriptions of a dead featus still attached to the placenta, and only really got upset when the guys got all "the last girl had literally a torn vagina and THIS is what upset you?!?".

I doubt you would be confotable to have a GM lovingly describe to you how a guy got ass raped and torn up by a big, burly gay orc. Or whatever else make you unconfortable.
>>
>>53514432
Considering I've nearly been beaten to death twice in my life by an abusive alcoholic and I've looked deep into the collective darkness of the human spirit. No i don't get squeamish over words. REad about a battle, history, about the horrid acts humans have inflicted on others then come cry to me about "dead fetuses and burly assrape orcs." just because people on this board act like whiny entitled cunts doesn't mean you get a free pass
>>
>>53494724
>evil-centric campaign
>high mortality for everyone aside from the DM's friends expected
>DM railroads events that lead to PCs fighting each other
>the reasoning behind the railroad is due to some obscure plot only his douche friends are privy to
>they don't actually care about the plot since all major developments are a railroad anyway, just give a fuck about busting out OP builds and lolcrushing
>>
>>53514483
Sounds like two times someone should have done us all a favor and tried harder.
>>
>>53514483

Sorry about your dad.
Look peoples lives different things and react differently to that kind of stuff. I play games to forget about everyday life, not to be reminded of the worst day of mine. I do know the world is shit, believe me. Could I have had handle the situation better? Probably. I still think the other player should not have been that surprise/ofended that I asked the descriptions to be less... descriptive.

I did not ask for the GM to change anything, just for less details.
>>
>>53514792
Oh he tried, nearly chocked me out until i punched him so hard i broke his fucking nose and punched him in the throat. But thats for trying to pour salt into a long closed would. Nice try though

>>53514807
ah so you weren't the previous poster. Hmm maybe you are reasonable. Then again I've mostly been acting like a cunt to see how if it would work. Looks like you have more control than i gave credit for.
>>
>>53514830
You're trying to be a tough guy, but you're need for a comeback says you were inches away from touching the x card yourself.

Just because you're so fragile doesn't mean you need to shit on others who are like you.
>>
>>53514913
>Touching the X card
cute but no, and no I am not fragile. how about we not project to hard now? I've insulted you not projected my personality on to you
>>
>>53514949
Nice try tough guy.

If you were really not a fragile little bitch you'd just ignore a troll. You make it easy.
>>
>>53514830

Wishing dead on internet stranger is about as productive as yelling in a can. Does nothing for the general level of this board either. I also kinda see why you did it, tumblrina are a real pain in the ass and deserve a reality check.

At first you did seem like a bitter angry old man, but admitting being possibly wrong is actually pretty impresive from a man in my experience. You are pretty ok in my book now.
>>
>>53515056
oh i am a bitter angry old man. I'm just not old yet and I'm also going to be honest about why i am bitter and emotionally crippled
>>
>>53506816
You realize this still doesn't change the minimum or maximum values of the rolls right? Outliers that fuck up the game are still possible.
>>
>>53515163

Knowing is half the fight. I hope you find some peace in your life then, nobody deserve to live that kind of shit.

Except kender player. To go back to the subject, if you see a kender, burn them at once.
>>
>>53508139
You absolutely should be punished for not showing up. If you're not showing up because of outside priorities, then that can be forgiven around the table - but not showing up is not showing up, and if you're not showing up, you're not playing - and if you're not playing, why the fuck would you expect to get the rewards of playing?
>>
>>53509060
Think of it like this:
Basically every RPG is like the Batman movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger was Mr Freeze. Which is fine, I liked that movie well enough when I was eight. But I don't want every movie I watch to be Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze. Sometimes I want a Total Recall, or a Rambo, or yeah, a Saw or a Schindler's List. Similarly, I don't want every RPG I play to be Saturday morning cartoons. But do you really want to play a Saw game, or a Schindler's List game?
My favorite game experiences, my most proud moments of GMing, literally involved at least one player breaking into tears every single time. And you can't run a game where "best case scenario, I bring you to tears" without SOME kind of a net, even if an X card isn't always the best tool.
>>
>>53514314
The X card had to be developed because "Hey guys, OOC, don't do that again." wasn't working/ being used. Possibly due to table top's high autist to normie ratio.
>>
>>53496997
Had this happen once, but we were in a prison shower, so the context is there.
I rolled a 12 and was allowed to weaponize my dong.
>>
File: hohohohoho.jpg (26KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
hohohohoho.jpg
26KB, 512x512px
>>53498363
>I live in Florida youd be surprised what can count as a functioning adult
>>
>>53515330
Because XP per session is one of two advancement systems that you specifically only use to decouple advancement from in game activities.
If you wanted XP to be a reward for play, you'd tie it to combat, or treasure, or finishing quests, or literally fucking anything except the meta game of who shows up each week.
>>
File: Disdain For Plebs.jpg (26KB, 393x462px) Image search: [Google]
Disdain For Plebs.jpg
26KB, 393x462px
>>53513551
>"The way I do things should be the way everyone has to do things!"
>>
>>53515330
>if you're not playing, why the fuck would you expect to get the rewards of playing

because holy fuck dude it's a cooperative game where what fucking matters is telling a good story, not a competition

EXP and shit aren't "prizes" or "rewards" they're just a way of controlling progression through the story

don't fucking punish players mechanically or narratively for real life shit that has nothing to do with the game
>>
>>53514807
>I play games to forget about everyday life
Well there's your fucking problem. If your're playing these games for escapist fantasy where everything is happy-go-lucky and nothing bad happens, then you need to not play in campaigns where things are grim-dark as all hell.

And when you choose to play in those campaigns, even though you really shouldn't be, you have to accept the fact that shit will happen that you don't fucking like. And when it does happen? Don't be an emotional cunt and ruin everyone else's night. Fucking cunt whores like yourselves ruin everything for everyone else.
>>
>>53515426
It's not like if you show up you get XP. If you show up, you get to play, and as you play you finish quests, RP with the other PC's/NPC's, etc. And as a reward for doing that, you get XP. If you don't show up, you don't play, & you don't get the XP for doing those things (because you didn't fucking do them).
>>
>>53515441
If you can't play, don't expect to have as good of a time around the table as the people who actually have their lives together enough to be able to play.
>>
>>53515518
fuck you buddy, if you genuinely believe people should put fucking games before their responsibilities you're the one who needs to get their life in order

once you have a family beyond someone you scream at for tendies or a job beyond flipping burgers, you might realise that "having your life in order" might involve putting that boring responsibilities shit ahead of rolling dice every once in a while, and if you're too insecure about this you want to punish others for it you can fuck off and game with all your neet friends
>>
>>53515518
Hey; this guy.
Guys like this are a red flag.
>>
>>53515660
It's not about putting your gametime before your responsibilites.

It's about having your life together/planned well enough that you can clear one time a week or every two weeks to play. If you are too busy, you shouldn't be playing at all with any group that play too frequently for you.

What you definitely shouldn't be doing in such a situation is deciding to play anyway, and just shit on everyone else's experience by not showing up.

And what you definitely DEFINITELY should not be doing, is failing to show up because you improperly scheduled your life, and then complaining about how the DM didn't play your character for you to give you XP to keep you up to pace with the people who actually care about the prepwork the DM has done.
>>
>>53515726
Yep, it's much preferable for people to not really care if people show up, to just kinda keep it casual and see what happens, hey the players don't have to show up and the DM won't ever prepare anything, we'll all just kinda hang out and hope we have fun. Who knows though, maybe we will maybe we won't, just gotta keep it chill and smoke some reefer, right?
>>
>>53515500
>It's not like if you show up you get XP.
It can be. There are a bunch of games (particularly from the late 90's) with rules that say "At the end of every session, give each player X XP." And that's a fine system for keeping everybody the same level and keeping things casual.
There shouldn't be a difference between "I, the player, didn't show up for the session for reasons." and "My character couldn't participate in this combat/quest/scene because reasons." Either you should both get xp, or neither of you should get xp, and both are fine.
>>
File: 1493862998240.jpg (90KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
1493862998240.jpg
90KB, 957x621px
>>53513712
>knocked up normie women posting on /tg/
Jesus fucking Christ, I'm glad your child died in the womb
>>
>>53515440

There are some people who are competent high, but they're rare, and most people who think they are are not.
It's just a pretty shit drug for any remotely mechanically intensive game.
>>
>>53495688
>Smoke pot at all
Yep. Played a game with my pothead flatmate once, before throwing him out for being an alcoholic, a junkie, an idiot, a thief and not paying his rent. Anyway:
>game starts in the most stereotypical way: in a tavern
>characters get to know each other as we all sign up for a caravan guard job posting
>stay the night
>bandits raid the village, steal everything, drag us off to sell as slaves (DM not only loved his clichés, but railroading as well)
>we break away, sneak through the woods, steal our stuff back, fight some, escape, fight some more etc.
>4 hours have passed, and retard pothead hasn't said a word so far, just staring with empty eyes and having us explain the rules and make the rolls for him
>we finally get back to civilization and come across a large city
>DM calls it for the day
>pothead looks around in confusion
>"Wait, so we're still in this tavern, right?"
>>
>>53509143
Burn them a few times until they realize what kind of game they're in and they start playing cautious/smart/believably.
>>
>All this stoner talk
Alright I'll offer a different perspective. I like to smoke a little before playing. I don't know why everyone turns into useless slugs when they do it but it really helps me slip in and out of character better when needed. I play 5e and know it well enough to help the sober players when they have questions, and I don't really mess up anything I do because 5e is fucking easy to understand. Getting fucked up on anything is always a bad call, but smoking half a bowl before playing just kinda loosens me up.

However, you cannot DM while stoned. It clouds your thoughts too much. Roleplaying comes naturally to me, boy that feels weird to type out, and I don't blank on the simple 5e mechanics, but managing multiple things just doesn't t work with weed.
>>
>>53507534
No, anon, see... That guy plays Dark Heresy. A super serious, hunt the witch game. You're playing "Pirates of the Carribean" in SPACE, so the more Orks the better.
>>
>>53505057
Bit of a side tangent on this one. I'm currently setting up a SoIaF game. The party's going to start the game, as the corebook suggest, a year before the events of the book/show to give them some time to position themselves before shit hits the fan.

Something I just don't understand is how much this game doesn't want you to mess up the events of the book. Every time canon characters or places are brought up, there's always a disclaimer of "Better keep the group away from it, or they'll fuck up the War of Five Kings!"

I forget where, I'm pretty sure it's a supplement, but at one put the game tells you straight up that "Players shouldn't try to kill Cersei Lannister." Fuck off, Green Ronin, if my friend's hedge knight wants to Gregor Clegane that bitch, he will. Off-screen, and only after realistically maneuvering himself into a position to do so, but I'm not going to just go "Oh, the rival family you guys have who's supporting the Lannisters? You can't directly ruin the Lannisters to cut the head off the dragon and leave your rivals weak. Why? Well, you see, those characters are on TV, so hands tied."
>>
>describes their character as either a "loli" or "shota"

The game is pretty much guaranteed to go to shit because of that guy.
>>
>>53507345
Players with good stats don't get lobotomized pre-game though. They're still just as capable of creativity as anyone else, and have the stats to back it up.
>>
>>53507345
Just because he doesn't NEED to be creative doesn't mean that he CAN'T be creative and let me tell ya, it's a helluva lot easier to be creative playing a character that can actually back themselves up with competently high stats.
>>
>>53500652
I've only seen this X-card shit in one game and it was the dumbest fucking thing I'd seen in a while.

Basically running a game and someone starts tapping on the X-card they had on the table.

>Be unfamiliar with x-cards at the time, so they just start loudly tapping on it out of nowhere.
>Don't know what the deal is, so I keep going
>They scowl and start tapping on it angrily
>I have no idea what the fuck they're doing so I just start tapping the table in front of me, then resume the game.
>They start banging their fist on the table and make angry hand motions.
>Ask them what the fuck their deal is.
>They make angry hand motions, make no attempt to explain what's actually going on.
>Most of the group think the person is fucking mental. They've been talking so they're not mute or deaf or anything.
>Ask them to use their words to explain what's wrong.
>They bang on the table again, get up and bump it, storming off saying they don't have to put up with this shit.
>Read about the x-card shit later
>We still think the person was a fucking nutcase.
>>
>>53494724
I go out of my way to describe my character bathing because he's a noble and the face of the party, going more than a day without washing is gross and he's exactly the kind of spoiled prat to demand the party halt and let him wash in the river.

The fucking elves can probably get away with it since they probably sweat mint or something and I think the druid would "fall" for touching soap, but there's no goddamn way the dwarf and two other humans aren't reeking to high heaven wherever we go.
>>
>>53497522
95% of /tg/
(just kidding, 95% don't even play games, but 95% of those who do play are what you describe)
>>
>>53497626
That's not how math works.
>>
File: 20170530_211803.png (261KB, 1076x1198px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_211803.png
261KB, 1076x1198px
>>53494724

In the DnD group for my town someone posted this...
>>
>>53499131
>Not allowing compulsive cannibalism as a character flaw to generate social conflicts with either the party or NPCs.
>Not using it to create tension while the party is stuck in a megadungeon for longer than a feeding period.

There's room for fun in this concept anon, as long as it's not played for "OW THE EDGE"
>>
>>53526010
That is a fun mental image.

“The ogre...tearing...breast…”
>”tap, tap, tap”
“Its large...into her…”
>TAP, TAP, TAP
[the DM, unsure of the purpose of this strange ritual attempts to reciprocate]…tap tapatap tap tap... TAP TAP. “…Moving on, then he turns to... want some?…”
>BANG, BANG, BANG
"Seriously, Jenny, what the fuck?" Says the annoyed DM.
>TAP TAP TAP and odd hand motions.
[the DM shares a confused and uncomfortable glance with the other players]
>Gesticulates wildly.
Lady, what the hell are you doing? Speak like a person!
>BANG. Finally breaking her silence, the unattractive female cries “I don't have to put up with this!”
[the lunatic leaves, and after a short discussion, play resumes]
Where was I, ah, "The ogre, after sharing his meal of dire-chicken with you and gifting one of his table knives to Dave's barbarian-"
>"Barbarian-ess!", Dave corrects, not even correct in his pedantry.
“…Barbarian-ess." The DM agrees, (having long ago decided that he was not Dave's grammar teacher) before continuing, “who’s bag proved to be too small for the broadsword-sized knife, asks you for a favor.”

And so, with the strange harridan gone, the little DnD group played happily ever after…at least until Dave got the whole party killed. Again.

No idea where the last bit came from, and I changed formats halfway through, but I did it on a lark, so you get what you pay for (nothing.) Also, I made a mistake and deleted a post, sorry.
>>
>>53511661

To illustrate that with a /vr/ example, the Midgar Zolom in FFVII used to establish Sephiroth's power.
>>
>>53494724
When a person claims to have red flags, I generally kick them out.
I don't need traumatized babies in my game.
>>
>>53527149
If it wasn't for the complete lack of grammar or punctuation I would say it doesn't sound too bad.
>>
>>53527407
Remember kids anyone who has different political opinions than you is unattractive.
>>
>>53527630

Meh, I wanted an adjective, preferably an insulting one, and that fit the tone I was going for. In hindsight, it would have been more entertaining to make another jab at her mental state. Perhaps "Unhinged" instead.
>>
People who can't roll with the flow of the game. If everyone is being goofy and doing a comedy bit, there's really no need for your surly buffdad realistic militia commander to bring it down. Flip side, if we're doing some drama, don't start trying to scam NPC's or cracking tons of jokes.

Looking at phones. Sometimes your girlfriend is texting you or whatever, and that's fine, but don't be deep in your group chat or on facebook during a game. I had a regular start bringing her 3ds to games when Pokemon S&M came out and we had to have a talk.

Insensitivity. Sort of similar to the first one but just in general read the room. If someone doesn't like the direction that things are going or is having a bad time, let's try and figure out why and course correct.

One note joke characters. Holy shit if you make a hilarious kobold drunk farmer I expect you to be able to carry roleplaying him through the campaign. Don't make a character that's boring after two sessions, and if you do, try and find a way to make them more interesting.
>>
How bad is it that I would play L5R with another member during the talking parts of the game. I never stopped paying attention to the game and we would pause it as soon as we needed too but now looking bad we might have been a bit rude.
We were preparing for worlds and we were sponsored by the store.

Also on the whole x card thing I can't think of any topic I would find too much for me but I know girls can not stomach the idea of rape in stories.
>>
>>53498205
no one is allowed to talk around the table. only silent nods and vague hand gestures while pointing at the table. keep everyone in character.
>>
>>53505057
>female in party
Why is this an issue? My 5 year game group is made up of my girlfriend and two close friend couples so we have a 50/50 male to female ratio. That was never a problem.
>>
>>53526632
I think he describes it more along the lines of "He takes off his shirt, revealing his lean, toned chest and abs. He discards the shirt on a table nearby, with his pants after just a moment, which leaves his cock flopping about" or some shit.
>>
File: 7e7.jpg (56KB, 544x468px) Image search: [Google]
7e7.jpg
56KB, 544x468px
>>53508273
because people who usually pick psykers are in it for powergaming using pyromancer/biomancer builds rather fun psychic shenanigans
>>
>>53495191
Y'know I ain't antisemitic or anything but I can totally agree with this. Ham's good, so are games on Saturdays. Fridays are a good compromise though.
>>
>>53495039
Wait, you play with people you're not friends with? What? Why would you play with strangers?
>>
>>53494843
The only real problem I have with in-game rape is people are only willing to go halfway with it and end up with an encounter that's too long to be comfortable and too short to be combat.

If your evil barbarian is gonna annihilate the BGHG's (Big Good Holy Guy's) daughter's sphincter, we need to basically approach it as a grapple combat until penetration and then roll for damage every round until escape or unconsciousness.

If you can behead a 14 year old in-game you can rape his sister in-game. But if you're gonna do it, do it right and don't make it weird by acting as though anyone at the table would do any of these things IRL. Play through like any encounter and if it makes women at the table squeamish then
A- what the fuck are women doing there?
and B- why are they playing a fantasy violence game if fantasy violence makes them uncomfortable?
>>
>>53495114
>>53495078
Can confirm.

The last thing you want is a GM with a victim complex
>>
>>53495688
>smoke pot at all
in-game or period? because I gotta say you're going to be very disappointed in life if this is entry criteria for your group

>completed character sheet
punctuality and diligence are red flags? Maybe it shows a lack of etiquette knowledge but it's largely dependent on WHAT they rolled up rather than when.

>well in my old group
being helpful or giving feedback isn't a red flag. It's probably a red flag that your group is less fun than this person's last group, but comparing past groups isn't a crime

>batman
this is bait
>>
>>53497153
the rule of cool is real, and you are playing a fantasy game. As long as there is some precedent in stat or in context the DM can stretch reality a tad for the sake of embellishment.
>>
File: IMG_1854.png (120KB, 350x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1854.png
120KB, 350x336px
>Our group only plays D&D/PF because that's what we're used to
>Getting salty over IC banter
>My character is angry when I'm angry
>>
>>53530914
There is a lot of context missing from that anon's post. Much like my own earlier which was met with accusations that I hate "fun". Remember, a red flag is a warning that something might not be good. It doesn't automatically mean that everything will be shit, as you noted in your post (specifically the character sheet bit).
>>
>>53514432
>have a GM lovingly describe to you how a guy got ass raped and torn up by a big, burly gay orc.
Literally my fetish.
>>
File: 301[1].jpg (41KB, 627x477px) Image search: [Google]
301[1].jpg
41KB, 627x477px
>>53494843
>"Adult themes to be expected"
>We have to pay several types of taxes, failing the appropiate roll means we have to pay more, critical fails mean getting our asses in jail
>We have to pay back our money to the bank with big ass interests
>>
>>53529772
If you played DH2e, you wouldn't have that problem.
I'm currently playing a divination ninja warrior witch, and outside the perils I've rolled (and the sororitas in the party), it's been a lot of fun.
>>53530517
I've never eaten ham, and I play/run my games on Sunday morning.
>>
>>53530795
>women
>implying only women have a problem with low quality dreck
My issue is that most people don't have the skill or the vocabulary to make such a scene good on it's own merit.
That said, I've thrown rape scares at players before, after letting them know long in advance such things can happen.
>>
>>53530795
This. Show some commitment. I want to hear you describe how gouts of your seed coat her depths while tears run down her cheeks, how you bite harder and harder on the bare flesh of her neck with each final thrust, spilling your vital fluids into her as her blood spills into your hungry mouth, as she cries out past shattered teeth and begs for death, you get me?

None of this pansy fade to black shit.
>>
I just started playing a friend's custom PnP, I've never played this sorta stuff so I don't know what is normal/red flags. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Shit that seemed weird:

>there are anti-magic monks that can become effectively immune to fire/do fire damage based off of Willpower
>I start playing that
>immediate responses
>Guy playing dumb cancer character that radiates fire all the time and is a huge burden on the party immediately tells me to re-roll because I'm 'powergaming' him, even though I wrote the sheet before I knew what anybody else was playing
>Same guy tells people that it isn't realistic to want to fight him because he appears so scary despite not having any of the Intimidate/Fear talents
>When we found an artifact that dealt with punching/claw attacks, he freaked out and said it doesn't make sense for my character to have it because he's a monk (in universe, the monks aren't pacifist orientals and are mostly just guys who adhere to a code, mine being that 'irresponsible use of magic is bad m'kay')
>Tries to get my character killed whenever he can
>Constantly tells me I'm doing something wrong, which is sometimes right because I've never done this sorta thing but it has all worked out so far
>Whenever there is a female character in the scene, he tries to charm them and gets upset when he fails a charm/speech roll
>Currently listening to him, in Discord, complaining loudly because our Half-Orc dumbass warrior broke his character's ribs in a berserk state

Are all PnP games like this? How do I escape this misery? Is this because I'm playing a 'custom' system/universe, because I know nothing about ANY other PnP but I've really enjoyed playing so far besides that sperg and the girl who keeps hitting on my virginal character.
>>
>>53532382
It's just a shitty player. Tell the DM the nigga has got to go, and if they don't boot him, be a real nigga and find a new group.

What do you like to play, Holmes?
>>
>>53532403

I don't know, I've never played something like this. I've always played sports and had a minor interest in doing something like this, but game stores were never really welcoming because they thought I was trying to make fun of them.

I just want to play something that lets me have a relatively unique, flavorful character with some huge flaws. I wanted to be a Blackguard (I think that's what they're called? Pretty much 'evil Paladins') but it isn't in this universe. I just really want to play a bad guy that everybody gets mad at and who gets smashed up. Like, I want him to lose his nose, or fingers, etc.
>>
>>53532429
You should try to find a D&D 5e group with a DM interested in morally lax stories. It's easy to learn, there are a few great options for different kinds of evil paladins, and it's a common enough system to where you can probably find a game, especially if you're willing to go online.
Is online your preference, and is Discord your preferred way to chat?
Regardless, I'd say start checking Roll20 for Fifth Edition D&D games. It's real easy to learn.
>>
>>53495688
The smoking pot is a HUGE USSR sized red flag for me. Played with a stoner who would rip cones before sessions. He was not good at mental math or remembering rules at the best times (due to constant pot use), right after a sesh it was a struggle every turn in combat.
>>
>>53530866
maybe u should try scapegoating them less then
t. not a jew
>inb4 good goy
>>
>>53516276
Whoah there Froggo
>>
>>53496567
Oh no anon, the Quest to become the perfect build that you ACTUALLY want to be because you're the lowest common denominator of tabletop gaming would be too easy if you didn't roll for stats!
Jesus fucking christ how is it hard for you people to understand that perhaps some people actually want to roleplay a character. If you need literally cannot help yourself from building a power fantasy without the roleplay equivalent of fucking training wheels, then perhaps it is time to stop projecting your insecurity into /tg/.
>>
>>53500287
I love letting my players pick their own fights. Then how powerful their opponent is becomes part of the challenge itself. Yeah they could crush some smaller force, but what do they think they can get away with if they think the other force knows this?

And of course they are more then welcome to take on an entire camp of brigands at once, but whittling down their numbers and staging the battlefield to cater to the party's strengths can be rewarding. Ha the gm threw something impossible at us and we won. Fuck yeah. And kudos to them they now have an entire camp's worth of stuff, or less depending on their methods.

When purposely throwing an encounter at them I live by advice my first gm gave to me. In any meaningful encounter, aim to kill one of the players. Not a specific one, don't pull someone out and shit on them. That isn't fun. But if your players know or at least think that death is a real possibility if they can't think of some way to overcome it, then it becomes real. Then you'll be amazed when time and time again they manage to avoid the fate you've set out for them. Again, if done right they'll know they "beat death" and feel accomplished. Of course death in this case can also mean any significant loss so long as it is as important as their lives.
>>
Rolled 1, 6, 1, 3, 2, 3, 6, 1, 6, 4, 3, 3, 4, 3, 6, 1, 4, 5 = 62 (18d6)

I wanna roll too
>>
>>53509060
I once based a game off of my abusive childhood. Though I had the courtesy to be subtle about it. Pretty sure nobody figured it out until years later when I confided some of the actual stories to some of the people involved. Game was a pretty big success.
>>
>>53529772
Fools. The real fun of playing a psyker is coming up with something crazy. Like becoming Psychic Sherlock Holmes with all the divination powers ever.
>>
>>53532429
Welcome to TTRPGs

Please remember that focusing on wanting to play only one very specific character might lead you into very frustrating games. You will also have a lot more difficulty in finding a game that accomodates your rigid character idea.

More importantly, why do you want to play an evil character?
>>
>>53532429
I know tg shots on it, but numenera would be okay for you. Perfect for one shots and minishots, so you can get used to it, character creation is fun and allows you to have flaws, and if you manage to get a great dm then the setting and encounters will be very fun
>>
File: neat1.png (360KB, 416x797px) Image search: [Google]
neat1.png
360KB, 416x797px
>>53495886
>"What's the safe word for this campaign?"
>>
>>53515337
> try to being someone to tears
>instead they draw a shitty x card
Lol
>>
>>53506216
Gangers that are stupid end up in jail and/or dead, real quick.
You confused "hoodlum" for "retard", when gangs as a standard are basically fairly profitable businesses dealing in illicit goods and services.
>>
>>53498181
Sounds more chaotic neutral. I know that it has a negative connotation, but I don't mean it that way. Just sounds like it to me.
>>
>>53496992
I usually give my players the choice. They choose array because it's faster, point buy because it's more customizable, or dice roll because leaving it to chance is always fun.

I let my player reroll a 6 and he got an 18. Kinda funny
>>
>>53495886
What you gonna do with all that straw,
All that straw
In your strawmen?
>>
>>53494724
>I want to play a loner.

Every fucking time.
>>
>player describes their new character in terms of "build" instead of who they are
>>
>>53527588
So I wasn't the only one nodding as I read it
>>
>>53499131
>cannibalism is eating your own species! And I'm like, a dragon(born)!

I've since allowed him to lean into the "will eat anything" thing.
>>
>>53513551
sounds like you don't smoke enough man. Makes me better at describing things in a way everyone understands, and I know this game so well the rules are second nature.
>>
>>53517879
Effects everyone in different ways, It just makes my head feel good and I think more intently.
>>
>>53494958
I run a homebrew campaign and my players have fun with it
>>
>>53494724
>Allergic to reading the rules (guest players are ok though)
>Doesn't care about roleplaying at all
>Rolls before anything even happens
>>
>>53540650
Oh and especially mixing all the known stereotypes for a race to describe a character in a setting, like 40k Orks and elves in non-Warhammer fantasy, when the setting we're playing clearly doesn't agree with it.
>>
>>53513712
This is why it's probably a good idea to only play light fluffy games with women and numales, at least ttile they prove themselves cool.
>fight the orcs
>save the kingdom
>collect a reward of 300 gold coins
>get a few bad rolls? Elves riding unicorns come and rescue you.
Nice and safe, nobody gets offended.
>>
File: en.png (1MB, 6836x10000px) Image search: [Google]
en.png
1MB, 6836x10000px
>Zombie apocalypse game
>guy wants to play a 11 year old girl
>sends me an anime picture to explain what she looks like
>mfw
>>
>>53541591
>guy wants to play any anime little girl I zombie game
>player rages and quits when I say yes, and they last about as long as you'd expect an 11 year old would last in melee against 20 zombies
>>
>>53527149
>poor grammar and punctuation

You're not under any time pressure, and you're trying to communicate with people who may only be passing acquaintances. Taking a minute to proofread is just polite.
>>
>>53541591
Was it Rustle?

>>53542150
in melee with 20 zombies, adult wouldn't last any longer unless they're literally Chuck Norris
>>
>>53495078

Considering gaming with the Jewiest Jew who ever Jewed (he legitimately and unironically calls me gentile and goes on about Jewish superiority, I shit you not) I met at work cause I'm desperate, how bad is it really?
>>
>>53494724
>CTRL-F
>No 'I want to roll a cat person'
KYS /tg/
>>
>>53513712
You were definitely in the wrong there.

Getting upset about it is one thing, that makes total sense given your experience.

Fucking yelling at them when they didn't know and then storming out is a whole other ballgame though. No matter how you slice it there's no need for that kind of drama bullshit, especially when they're misstep was based entirely on ignorance.

Let's pretend I'm allergic to onions and I go to a barbecue. If someone puts that shit on my burger I'll tell them I'm allergic to it and ask if I can get a different one. What I WON'T do is tell them that they should tone it down with the condiments, confusing the shit out of them with my seemingly arbitrary behavior, and only when they probe fucking YELL at them and run away.

You have no right to "still be crabby about it", especially considering they apologized. This is narcissistic psycho bullshit you're talking about.
>>
>>53543844

If they were along yeah, but they'd be with a group, and an important thing to remember about fighting in a group is that it's only as strong as its weakest link, in this case the little girl.
>>
>>53498452
So what, i have to play myself at all times ?
>>
>>53544678
Get with the times grandpa, kitsunes are the new hotness.
>>
>>53498452
>playing as the opposite gender
>playing monster/beastman races
Nothing wrong with these, what the fuck. Sometimes people want to try something different.

>"homebrew" setting
I like to add my own spin on the game's lore every once in awhile to make the cosmology more interesting.

>CE or CN characters
The entire alignments don't need to get thrown out the window just because you've read some frightening greentexts on /tg/

You're a gigantic fucking autist and I wouldn't want to play with you. Other than those everything else is understandable though, except MAYBE homebrew class. If someone earnestly tells me that he wants to be a Mage with a proficiency in mace or some shit despite not normally being allowed to do so, if he has justification I'll fucking let him. Why the hell not? No reason to bust someone's balls over something like that, maybe their origin is a little off-kilter.
>>
>>53496628
>outlier

Even shitty 3.PF isn't so shittily balanced that one player having a few more +s is going to break a campaign. You get more imbalance from having one wizard and one fighter both using standard array. You're a giant shit-talking chicken little.
>>
File: 1488106554657.jpg (38KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1488106554657.jpg
38KB, 600x375px
>>53545063
>>
>>53545116

KYS. :^)
>>
>>53507534
Rogue Traders are expected to have wacky retinues of dumb bullshit made up of what they've found and be on the razor's edge of full heresy constantly. Dark Heresy, Death Watch, and Only War are much more serious than RT since those are all gritty attempts and stemming the bleeding from the perspective of various imperial factions on the homefront. DH especially as you're actively routing out corruption via investigation rather than bolts. Black Crusade is wacky in a different kind of way than RT.
>>
>>53545168
Sorry, I forgot to add the quote that made me go "come on son."
>Even shitty 3.PF isn't so shittily balanced that one player having a few more +s is going to break a campaign.
>>
>>53545264

Again, KYS. What breaks 3.PF is one character being good at swinging a sword around and another is good at teleporting through different realities whilst invisible, flying, stone-skinned and summoning greater demons. What doesn't break 3.PF is one guy adding 3 to a roll while another only adds 1.
>>
>>53545349
The thing is, my apologist friend, is that the dude adding 3 to his roll will generally be in a better position than the dude who only adds 1 to his roll, especially when you consider how the CR system automatically assumes that everyone involved in the party is optimized, with equal "leveled" creatures having HP and AC that you just won't be able to chew through before the enemy kills your ass.

I mean why do you think MAD classes like monks suck so hard in comparison to classes that can get by with a single decent stat? It's because it's much easier to get a +3 or higher for a single stat after rolling than getting +3 or higher on multiple stats that are all required for you to play your class.
>>
>>53544967
Do you not understand what red flag means? It's a warning sign that something might be fucky.

>playing opposite gender
Especially with men playing women, all too often I've seen a guy slut it up. It's annoying when someone is trying to turn your game into their private ERP.

>monster/beastman races
Furries. I'm talking about furries. Rule 0 for all of my games is "no fetish fuel".

>"homebrew" setting
Do I really need to explain this? I'm not talking slight changes or adapting a non-RPG into a RPG. I'm talking about sperg furgeson trying to magical realm everyone on the sly.

>CE/CN
Most people can't play them very well so it devolves into "I randomly slaughter and/or rape everything I see ever".

Again, this a thread about red flags. As in, warning signs. A warning sign does not automatically mean everything is going to shit because a dude wanted to play a female dragonborn that prays to Tiamat. It just means you need to pay more attention to that players behavior.
>>
>>53545699
But those red flags are so fucking broad that they're pointless to even talk about.

May as well say
>Player is fat
And say it's a fucking red flag because he's more likely to be a slovenly creep if he's fat.

The way you explained yourself and how you extrapolated every genuine grievance into too large a point is why your list is shit and there's so many people bitching at you. Not our fault either, you just came across and continue to come across as really cunty.
>>
>>53545895

Well actually.....
>>
File: Taboos.jpg (88KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Taboos.jpg
88KB, 750x600px
>Homebrew system with rules still under work
>Homebrew setting
>Mixing fantasy and science fiction tropes
>GM allows playing opposite gender
>GM allows beast and monster races
>GM does not limit character morality
>GM requires a backstory
>GM's gf is playing, gf has only played D&D in one campaign before
>Taking in multiple players with no prior experience of the system, or even ttrpgs
>More than 5 players, some dependent on online communications

I'm the GM. Rate my upcoming campaign.
>>
>>53546200
>GM allows playing opposite gender

I really hope you don't consider this a "red flag" for /pol/tarded reasons. If you don't want players roleplaying their perfect lesbian elf waifus, just rule against that.

>Rate my upcoming campaign.

I don't think I'd want to play at your table, Anon.
>>
>>53546254
>some dependent on online communications
I remember that webcomic.
>>
>>53546200
>>53546223
>>53546254
Jesus Christ, anon.

It was fine the first time.
>>
>>53495191
>>53530517
Find one that isn't religious ?
>>
>>53546274
It was sarcasm. I intentionally overexaggerated the facts for the purposes of the thread. I have things under control, and took in only decent people I personally know to be able to handle this. They're one of my "beta test" crews.

>>53546296
But this is all very real.

>>53546348
I can't leave the little mistakes be. I wish there was edit instead of just delete.
>>
>>53516276
>>53514483
>>53513792
What the fuck is wrong with yall? Have yall ever experienced a miscarriage?
>>
>>53546759
>yall
Ugh.
>>
File: 1476384604421.png (167KB, 435x322px) Image search: [Google]
1476384604421.png
167KB, 435x322px
>>53497064
>Roll using old, lower-powered D&D method
>"Well these characters are underpowered in modern D&D so that proves my point!"
>>
>>53546759
No, I'm not a nigger.
>>
>>53532618
I'd just like to say that I rolled stats and built a character around that. Got 6 fuckin' WIS and the GM offered to let me reroll the stat but I said "fuck it, they'll be so self-centered that they can't notice much else, and instead of being really naive and optimistic, they'll be untrusting and sarcastic"
>>
>>53497091
>>53498201
>>53498205
I have done this, sort of. I was a kobold rogue who couldn't speak normal language, but could understand it. Unfortunately I still had to speak OOC, but I was a valuable party member and could usually get my meaning across using IC with hand motions and such.
>>
>>53495145
>someone declares that our band of adventurers needs a guy to drop an authority hammer
>doesn't listen when we suggest a mere five people can think for themselves
>unanimously vote for the guy to lead because no one likes the idea and he won't shut up about it
>complains whenever people don't like him jumping to a big decision when everyone else is unanimously against the action
>complains whenever morale is low due to most of the other decisions being "that's a terrible idea, someone could get hurt and my idea is better"
>STILL WON'T FUCKING CONSIDER THAT DEMOCRATIC SOCIALISM MIGHT WORK IF THERE'S LITERALLY SINGLE-DIGIT-AMOUNT OF PEOPLE
Alternatively:
>everyone else is either playing characters with no CHA and/or are naturally shy/jittery
>no one lets you try to face because your character is fluent in spitting insults
>GM brings in a DMPC to do all the party face stuff
>>
>>53495850
>you've watched more films of superheroes than you've read comics of superheroes
>>
>>53496901
Does anyone even use 3d6? I've always used 4d6 -lowest. I used to use 3d6 Wehn I played AD&D
>>
>>53495039
>>Bonus points if one of them is his girlfriend
literally my group. a couple of buddies amd my gf. fuck you, we're having fun.
>>
>>53497091
But anon, that is actually funny.
>>
>>53547999
Nope. Even AD&D dropped lowest.
>>
>>53546254
You are a faggot. But you knew that already.
>>
>>53544678
Seconded
>>
>>53506216
If anyone ever gives you shit about your fantasy depiction of the ghetto just ask them to go on a lone fact finding mission next saturday night so we can get a better handle on the experience.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.