[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential tips for a first time DM? I want to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1480298640888.jpg (94KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480298640888.jpg
94KB, 960x720px
What are some essential tips for a first time DM?
I want to start a campaign and I have a general idea, but I want to know if there is anything else
>>
>>53485017

Take any and all advice you are given with a hefty amount of salt.

GMing is more art than science, and there is no one 'right' way to do it. You might get sincere advice from a veteran GM who has been gaming for decades that will completely fall flat if you try it with your group because of a difference in playstyles.

This doesn't mean they were wrong. but it highlights the importance of context. Be willing to try things out and fool around and make mistakes. Communicate clearly with your group that this is a learning experience for you, get feedback from them on what works and what doesn't, and be willing to collaborate in learning together how to create an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
>>
>>53485017
Just fucking do it. Most of the theory/prep stuff is gonna be pretty useless before you get some actual experience.

If you wanted to learn how to ride a bike, you get on a fucking bike and figure it out. You can't just spend a month reading books about biking before you start riding.

Once you've actually ran a game, then come back to /tg/ and ask for advice about the stuff you want to improve. Our advice will still be garbage, but it will probably be slightly useful garbage.
>>
>>53485017
>Know what type of game your players want
>Learn to improvise as well as use your player's ideas/suggestions to create scenarios.
>If you find players aren't doing anything at all, don't be afraid to push an event onto them
>Don't over describe areas unless asked. Give a short description and mention the important aspects
>short lists of names, traits and personalities will be very helpful
>NPC dialogue does not have to be strictly you talking as the npc. Feel free to summarize what he's saying as well. But do voice out the important lines if you can.
>If players are quiet or does not actively engage in roleplaying, try to initiate dialogue with them first.

Mostly it depends on your players and the setting and what not. Keep some essential rule tips written or easily accessible without having to flip through a ton of pages, but also rely on common sense or consistency as well. The most important thing is to have fun with it and don't treat your players like an audience.
>>
>>53485017
I think the best trick to make things go smoothly is the easiest. You include a character with the group that you control. That way if they miss something you're trying to get them to investigate or they're going off doing some pointless side thing, or whatever, you can use that character to bring them around. It's kind of a crutch, but it really does help a lot. Once you know the people you play well, you might not need it anymore. But just until then, give it a try. As a secondary benefit, if it's not totally obvious, you can make your character whatever thing you want that picky DM from your other games won't even consider letting you play.
>>
File: 1459713088473.jpg (64KB, 538x482px) Image search: [Google]
1459713088473.jpg
64KB, 538x482px
Humor is a cornerstone of my GMing. I've always made campaigns that made my players laughing their asses off. A good movie that will give you some ideas with funny scenarios is "Your Highness".
>>
File: REEEEE.png (235KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEE.png
235KB, 582x600px
Let your players do the things they want, and don't say no (within reason)
>always dm for my group
>one of the others finally decide to dm
>get to use one of my character sheets for something that isn't an npc
>make a barbarian that wrestles and grapples
>this strategy does well, and is a lot of fun for me and the rest of the party
>DM doesn't like it
>fight a boss that makes clones
>these clones make 3 magic missiles
>there's 11 clones
>I'm dead
>the whole time the clones have made lesser attacks on the rest of the party
This is also a lesson to not be biased. As a DM, you have to be impartial, don't fuck over one player because you don't like it. I should note I DM all the time, and follow these rules myself. If my players look around for a loose plank in the floor to make an improvised weapon, they find it. If they want to kill a boss by throwing them in a bottomless pit, then the boss is killed via pit. Reward creativity
>>
>>53485414
Basically this, along with TALK TO YOUR PLAYERS. It's important to regularly communicate with your players about what they think about the game. What do they enjoy or dislike, what do they hope to see more of, etc. etc. Every group is different, and it's important that you pay attention to what specifically works for yours.
>>
Play dungeon world. It's pretty much th4 best option for RPGs.
>>
Keep a notebook whee you keep notes on the session, including tracking the date it is in the campaign. Someday you'll want a record of everything, trust me.
>>
>>53485017
>What are some essential tips for a first time
When removing the wrapper from the condom, be extra careful not to tear the condom itself. Pinch the tip, which would otherwise hold an air bubble, with one hand and position it over the head. Be sure to use the meaty part of your fingers, not the nails to keep it clamped. Using your other hand, roll the edges downward along the shaft, all the way to the base. Only then do you release your grip on the tip. Switch condoms whenever changing positions.
>>
>>53485083
>>53485302

These two are about as good as they get, despite not being what you're looking for OP. Get your first games out of the way, and that will be when any GMing advice will start to make sense and become applicable.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.