[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-age -of-sigmar-roleplaying-game-announc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 8

File: ei02s7.jpg (302KB, 1183x1104px) Image search: [Google]
ei02s7.jpg
302KB, 1183x1104px
http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-roleplaying-game-announced/

New Warhammer TRPG will take place in the setting of Age of Sigmar.

Thoughts?
>>
>>53458056
I couldn't care less. Age of Sigmar is literally the most uninspired, bland fantasy setting you could imagine.
>>
Doesn't sound remotely interesting to me, but perhaps it'll give them a chance to develop their new setting's lore. It certainly needs all the help it can get in that department.
>>
>The Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting is fantasy at its most imaginative

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Wow. I was optimistic about this too. Welp, guess I'm done.
>>
>>53458056
>Thoughts?
Planescape meets Thor?
>>
I don't care, and they're still doing 4E of Warhammer Fantasy in the Old world so it's all good.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (110KB, 1760x992px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
110KB, 1760x992px
>>
>>53458191
But will it be good?

Absolutely no experience with Cubicle7 products.
>>
Why would you release two competing TTRPG games at the same time?
>>
>>53458236
You're bad at business
>>
>>53458229

Cube 7 has done several successful games, but they're a small company. Their most well known would be The One Ring, which is solid by every metric.

I trust them to do Warhamster.
>>
>>53458088
>Most uninspired.
>It's not universe with not!germany and not!egypt.

Yeah...
>>
>>53458056
Might be interesting.
>>
>>53458338
I must have missed all the fantasy settings based on the HRE.
>>
>>53458056
This is awesome. I was hoping for this. Will definitely be giving it a serious look. The AoS setting is actually really cool the more you look into it, and this gives it a chance to expand the universe. I was meh about the fantasy roleplay announcement because I still have my book front the last edition they did of it.

>Inb4 shill accusations
>>
>>53458373
Hello GW.
>>
>>53458358
>Ignorant of german fantasy literature.

Filthy american jew.
>>
>>53458056
I'm optimistic. I've had a soft spot for the Age of Sigmar setting because its really fantastical and reminds me of Planscape if I squint. Maybe they'll be able to make something cool out of it.
>>
>>53458056
Good for the people who care about that setting

It can't bring anything but good world building
>>
>>53458088
>Age of Sigmar is literally the most uninspired, bland fantasy setting you could imagine.

While this is true, in theory, this might be an opportunity for GW to flesh it out more. If it's handled properly, we could get a good look at how cultures and societies in the AoS setting actually work, instead of the usual EPIC BATTLES IN AN AGE OF ENDLESS WAR drivel.
>>
>>53458056
Why not just play dnd/spelljammer?

WHF had a neat setting. AoS is meh.
>>
>>53458445
>german
>fantasy literature.
Daily reminder folklore =/= fantasy
>>
File: wfrp2nd.jpg (41KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
wfrp2nd.jpg
41KB, 353x500px
I think I'll stick to this.
>>
>>53458618

>Why not just play dnd/spelljammer?

I mean, if you're going to suggest that, might as well just suggest OP drink drain cleaner.
>>
>>53458056
>http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-roleplaying-game-announced/

Will it let me play a lizardbro?
If not then im not interrested.
For what its worth ive gotten a tiny bit of hope for the fluff with the new dwarves, maybe they can fix the abyssmal shit theyve done to the lizardmen eventually, and maybe make sigmarines less annoying posterboys.
>>
>>53458788
I'm alright with that suggestion too.
>>
>>53458445
>German fantasy literature
>about germany

are you insane? German fantasy literature is all 100% tolkien.
Germans SPERG OUT if their fantasy is even SLGIHTLY Deviating from tolkien.

German speaking DM talking, my group lost its shit when i brought in firearms into the setting.

I mean name some german fantasy actually based on HRE? For what i can tell most popular German fantasy is something like "The Dwarves".

Hell at this point id say the best german fantasy is Walther Moers.
>>
>>53458396
Called it.
>>
>>53458563
Exactly. Hate the setting if you want, but for those of us that care and actually like it, this is nothing but good.

An RPG is a great way to explore the setting and expand upon it. I remember 40k being all the more fleshed out after the Dark Heresy books. I gained a much greater appreciation for Space Marines after the Deatwatch book.

I may not get to play it, but I like to read them.
>>
>>53458841
Scheißkopf I'm not German, I've never been to German, I don't speak German, I don't read German and the only things I like that even COME from Germany are schnapps, Prince Rupert of the Rhine and tall well-built slightly plump healthy blonde girls.

EVEN I know that The Neverending Story is a German fantasy novel, that Hanns Heinz Ewers wrote some grotesque horror fantasy that would slot right in to a certain type of D&D game and that A.E. Hoffman must be among the best "it's literary so we'll not call it fantasy" authors even to live. I read Otfried Preußler when I was a child, so why didn't you? Holy shit the Brothers Grimm are German! I mean mein Gott, what about ALL THE OPERA?

Fuck!
>>
>>53459101
>Brothers Grimm
>Fantasy
Its folklore
>neverending story

never considered it fantasy either. And most people here dont either. Its fantasy, but its not the kind of fantasy people associate with fantasy and as a result its not part of german TTRPG culture.
Its not my fault everyone in the german speaking world has absolutley no fucking imagination whatosever.

The German TTRPG scene is dominated by tolkien ripoffs that are extremley conservative.
The only deviation is shadowrun which the krauts love for some reason.

Your anger is misplaced. Its not that i am ignorant of german literary tradition, it is that the german fantasy genre is.
>>
>>53458056

If it has a good system, I could get into it.
The setting might be fun to RP in, since they go wild with everything in there.
>>
>>53458589

They are actually doing that with the latest books. Kharadrons is all about their society, with barely a few passing mentions of wars (like, 3 out of 60 pages could make out the component of warfare on that lore). City of Secrets, SCE Mk II, Nagash: Undying King and Shadows over hammerhal already worked on that angle.
>>
>>53458056
It's very good news.
People don't quite realise how much of warhammer fantasy's lore was created in the RPG's.
It's a real opportunity to give AoS some depth.
>>
>>53458358
Berserk, Witcher.
>>
>>53459676
civilized lizardmen never ever...
THey had to make them into demons..
>>
>Age of Sigmar setting
Who cares ?
>>
>>53459501
My anger is mostly tongue in cheek, Germanbro. I shouldn't have tried it on a nation without a sense of humour.
>>
I am worried the age of sigmar roleplaying will focus entirely on the forces of order. I could only imagine myself playing it to try out roleplaying as orcs, skaven, khorne bloodbound or whatever, as they offer something not focused on much in other tabletop rpgs. I am afraid it will focus on dwarves, sigmarines, humans and elves though, which would make it the same as warhammer fantasy roleplay just in a weird setting.
>>
>>53458056
Let me know when they make Warhammer Fantasy RPG 4e
>>
>>53461777
kay
http://cubicle7.co.uk/cubicle-7-and-games-workshop-announce-new-edition-of-warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/
>>
>>53461806
Cool. Looking forward to it
>>
>>53458236
because people will buy both of them you daft cunt. just look at their TOR and AiME releases.
>>
>>53458841
>>53459501
You're pretty much spot on. I remember Germans sending angry letters to the Wizardry devs for putting scifi elements in the Wizardry games like halfway through their double trilogy, and the Heroes of Might and Magic guys actually got DEATH THREATS from German fans because they wanted to put a magitech faction in an expansion pack.

Germans get really really really "stackenblochen" about their fantasy.
>>
I can't imagine that GW's moronic game design can make a half decent RPG. They should have let Fantasy Flight keep the license.
>>
>>53463733
They... aren't the ones making the RPG? That's cubicle 7.
>>
anyone know hwere to get a free pdf of 3rd edition wfrp
>>
>>53464012
There should be a link in /wfg/
>>
>>53458841
Mittelreich from Black Eye. Maybe? I am not an dark eye expert.
>>
>>53463733
You're joking right? FF fucking ruined WHFRP
>>
>>53458236
>WHFRP as a gritty low survival game
>AoSRP as a high fantasy game

Makes sense really. As much as people stupidly think, GW doesn't hate the WHF franchise, they just don't want to make a wargame anymore.
>>
>>53464239
Explain
>>
>>53465848
Look up WHFRP 3rd edition.
>>
>>53465848
FFG attempted to make whfrpg into a deckbuilding living card game / rpg hybrid. Unique dice, tokens, cards, noncustom character sheets and everything.

I'm not even fucking joking
>>
>>53464264
>GW doesn't hate the WHF franchise
Top kek
>>
>>53458373
The format and manner of your post are very similar to that of a script or a social media employee. Given that we are on 4chan there is little reason to believe you are not, in fact, employed by Games Workshop (or, more likely, contracted); try communicating like an actual person next time, if you want your points to be taken seriously.
>>
>>53468363
Sorry bro. I'm not some social media guy or shill. And I don't think there's any way I can convince you I'm not. I just genuinely like the AoS setting and am genuinely excited for this game.

In short, idgaf, I like it. Kindly fuck yourself.
>>
>>53468427
Explain why you like it.
>>
WFRP4 is getting an RPG as well, so I couldn't care less. Zweihander just released as well, and my shelf is still full of WFRP2 books and printed fan material.

Maybe it'll bomb hard, at least I'll get a laugh out of it. I wonder if they plan to compete with D&D 5th? High fantasy and whatnot.
>>
>>53468431
Nope. That's a trap.

I explain it fully, I get called a shill for using inevitable buzzwords. I say things like it has a lot of depth, you disagree, call me a shill.

I refuse, you call me a shill because I'm obviouslty getting paid to promote the product even though I know nothing about it.

It's pointless to answer the question, so I will say this:

I like it because it makes autists cry. I enjoy it because I know whfb-fags cry tears knowing the game is growing and gaining a following. That every time I play a game of AoS, some aspie fathead dies a little more inside. I read a novel, and they sink deeper into depression.

It is delicious to me.

Is that a 4chan enough answer for you?
>>
>>53458056
I'm..i'm actually excited.
The part I like the best in Aos is that relms are literal blank state.
You can either follow ufficial fluff or make your shit up, and its canon.
Short stories show this very well(the decent ones, anyway), so you can go wild and make your own stories and cities and whatever.

I just hope for a good system now.
>>
Whatever. When are we getting Dark Heresy 3E?
>>
>>53468579
So you don't actually like it, you're just shitposting. Cool, thank you.

>>53468664
How was 2E? I bought it but lent it to someone and never got it back.
>>
>>53468853
Like I said, there's no way I can explain anything to you. You have already made up your mind, so it is pointless.
>>
>>53468853
not him, but i really dont blame him for not explaining anything. ive seen enough idiotic backandforth onthis site to know when i see you are fishing for an argument
>>
>>53458056

Could be good, pretty sure a lot of the world people like Fantasy for came from the the RPGs. AoS is also still relatively new so there shouldn't be problems of the writers not understanding the setting like with 40k.

>>53461097

If they intend to make it relatively close to Fantasy then I'd have something of a hard time imagining them going outside of the races in Order and maybe one or two in Death or Destruction.

>>53463733

FFG has Star Wars now, they don't need Warhammer.
>>
>>53463733
GW broke all deals with FFG in autistic tantrum
>>
>>53463733
They did alright with WFRP 1e. I wonder what happened to those guys.
>>
>>53469205

FFG intruded into their space with X-Wing. I also have a hard time imagining they'd give Warhammer the time of day when they can get so many more customers with Star Wars.
>>
>>53469226
Any 40k player that left for xwing is nothing of value lost.
>>
>>53469226
>FFG intruded into their space with X-Wing.
Since when miniatures market became GW "safe space"?
>>
>>53458056

Why even bother, nobody cares about AoS's lore. Even half of the people in AoS general say this.
>>
>>53472567
That's some good mental gymnastics you have there. Still using lotion to soothe the pain?
>>
>>53458841
>German speaking DM talking,
>DM
DROPPED
>>
>>53459501
>The German TTRPG scene is dominated by tolkien ripoffs that are extremley conservative.
it's not just conservatism. germany is one of the heartlands of classical fantasy (the others are england and the scandinavian countries) and we like our fantasy less absurd and more tied to an actual mythical europe. european fantasy tends to be more grounded than US fantasy because we're living among in/near the hills and woods and rivers and fields that fantasy is based on.

we want to adventure in a medieval/renaissance western europe of legends whereas Forgotten Realm is more a random hodgepodge of all kinds of influences.
>>
>>53460084
>is not funny
>denounces another nation for not being funny
okay
>>
File: DnD-DSA-Comp.png (1MB, 867x669px) Image search: [Google]
DnD-DSA-Comp.png
1MB, 867x669px
>>53463664
>Germans get really really really "stackenblochen" about their fantasy.
because over-the-top US-style fantasy is, tbqh, for proles. it's the fantasy equivalent of trump-style gold-plating everywhere. it's corny, uninspired and occasionally embarrassing.
t. not-even-a-DSA-fan
>>
>>53469015
>>53469226
Anyone who'd voluntarily pay for D*sney Wars shit deserves FFG. Frankly they deserve even worse but I'll take what I can get.
>>
>>53472876
>germany is one of the heartlands of classical fantasy
Any examples?
>>
>>53472912
Fascinated by what you see as substantively different in those photos, idiot. Both like they could perfectly well come from the same game or setting to me.

t. someone without a blinkered, ridiculously unimaginative view of fantasy
>>
>>53472882
That's perfidy for ya.
>>
>>53458056
RPG for a game that is basically 4e infinite multiverses paladins vs evil paladins.
Also the 90% of AoS artwork is a clusterfuck of bodies piled on top of each other as to simulate a big battle.
>>
>>53473639
>RPG for a game that is basically 4e infinite multiverses paladins vs evil paladins.
>Also the 90% of AoS artwork is a clusterfuck of bodies piled on top of each other as to simulate a big battle.

Is this what the guy earlier in the thread was talking about when he said AoS has a lot of depth to it? Depth of corpses piled on top of each other?
>>
>>53473454
Whatever point they're trying to make the take away seems to be 'in DSA ornate things do not and cannot exist in any capacity.'
>>
>>53458841
I'm an Austrian and I can tell you most people here dislike standard fantasy and prefer things like Eberron
Piefke stereotype confirmed once again.
>>
>>53474145
Well, independently of my deep hatred for that anon's conception of fantasy that would actually be an interesting sentence to try and extend a setting (or at least region) from.

Like in a response to a prompt here on /tg/ once I had
>>The Brittle-lands, where mirror trees grow from the crushed-shell soil and humans are the most durable substance around. Barbarians from the Brittle-lands have trouble with the idea of "a" weapon because everything they grew up with broke after one use. They are startlingly innovative fighters and never stop looking over their shoulder. Anyone born in the Brittle-lands will be sworn to one of the two kings there, Ordswye or Aserlye each of whom is possessed by a rogue dwarven machine god
>>
>>53472912
Meanwhile in European myth Cú Chulainn is screaming at the top of his lungs and gaining 7 different hair colors and eye colors, along with having his shins reverse. At the same time Hercules is fighting off a hydra with infinitely regrowing heads.

And meanwhile in the lord of the rings universe someone is creating the planet Venus via piloting a large ass ship into the sky. And in Scandinavia some viking witch women just summoned an army of 10K+ strong undead warriors.
>>
File: Realm_Of_Derp.jpg (824KB, 1540x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Realm_Of_Derp.jpg
824KB, 1540x2000px
>>53458056
>The Warhammer Age of Sigmar setting is fantasy at its most imaginative. The Mortal Realms are fascinating, highly evocative and hold endless possibilities for roleplaying.

Can you imagine actually having to type that out as a formal statement?
>>
This is interesting, if only because I want to see the direction they take in pulling it off.

The setting of AOS never seemed particularly good at telling stories about the little guy. WHFRP had everyone start out as rat catchers, petty thieves, and stable hands, but AOS, as far as I've been able to gather, is about infinite high-concept realms at eternal war with very little room for those sort of characters to exist, let alone have stories.

There's absolutely nowhere "normal" for normal people to come from in AOS.
>>
>>53475261
Well it'll just focus on important people instead, no point playing someone normal in Exalted right?

If it'll be good is an entirely different matter.
>>
>>53475261
>eternal war with very little room for those sort of characters to exist, let alone have stories

Wouldn't be too hard really. Some of my favorite concepts is the small fries trying to survive high-grade multidimensional wars without dying.
>>
>>53475150

Are you telling me you don't want to explore the Mortuary Factory?
>>
>>53475261
There's something called city of secrets. A city guardsman being the protagonist... apparently is a novel for age of sigmar!
>>
>>53475150
Dude, that horse is long ago dead. Look at the actual maps, not a QfGM one.
>>
>>53475261
>There's absolutely nowhere "normal" for normal people to come from in AOS.

Stop lying. There have been cities and civilizations described in the realms. That second WHQ game is set in one. Kharadron skyports are cities with normal people.
>>
>>53475898
Normal people living in boring-ass magical realms.
Nothing as exciting as being even a merchant in the old world just within the border of the Empire, as just being outside of the walls of a town makes you liable to get eaten by beastmen.
>>
>>53464214
in part.
Parts of it are also arthurian and NotIreland fo rreaosns.
But IIRC the DSA setting is not renaissance enaugh to be HRE, more high middle ages.

>>53472876
actually i thikn that german fantasy is quite far removed from folklore.
Id like some german folklore fantasy, but then there would be no tolkien dwarves and im pretty sure germans LOVE tolkien dwarves.
>>53472912
>Traditional folklore is boring

This meme again.
Also
>Anything that isnt "The brown age" fantasy is warcraft

What about Glorantha?
>>
>>53476002

>The same happens in sigmar.

So your point is...??
>>
>>53458056
So long as they dedicate a lot of effort to expanding the setting, I'm cautiously optimistic. I do think the setting has potential, it just needs to take the plunge into full Spelljammer style weirdness, maybe with a bit of Kirby Thor/New Gods thrown in for the portrayal of the Stormcast.
>>
>>53476066
You don't wake up to find orcs and mutants having a battle on the middle of the land shipping routes and don't have anywhere to explore.
>>
>>53475865
>Are you telling me you don't want to explore the Mortuary Factory?
I think a lot of people played WoW:WotLK
>>53475898
>There have been cities and civilizations described in the realms.
Yeah and how they described? Some generic magepunk cities.
>>
File: Dorks.gif (2MB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Dorks.gif
2MB, 500x374px
>tfw you can't be renneissance Harry Potter anymore
>>
>>53458338
WFB was a historical with fantasy elements.

AoS is just a mess.
>>
>>53473228
where the British have King Arthur and Robin Hood, we have the Nibelungensaga and Dietrich von Bern.

i would also include as influence medieval occultism a la Agrippa and Paracelsius. germany is the land of the Brocken and Walpurgisnacht and all that witchcraft. i am not even mentioning the influence of tropes from the works of the Grimm Brothers. or a legendary king like Barbarossa.

>>53473454
>blue hair dye
>matching outfit
>not modern cosplay styling at all
>what's the difference?
>orly.jpg

>>53476005
i am not saying that european fantasy is close to folklore. fantasy in general has drawn elements from fairy tales and folklore. i am saying that european fantasy is closer to replicating the mythical europe that exists in tales like King Arthur, Nibelungs, Beowulf, etc. compare that with blue hair-dye, knife-ears, djinns, etc. in US and/or anime-influenced fantasy.
>>
>>53476168
"Welcome to AoS, where the factions are made-up and the maps don't matter."

Because "near-infinite realms".
>>
>>53476746
The fact blue hair is what sets you off is fucking retarded. I hope you get eaten by dogs.
>>
>>53476798
You do know that all the realms combined are just the size of the sol system in terms of surface, don't you?
>>
>>53476870
Oh, just the goddamn solar system?
Gee, that's such a tiny area in 40k.
Oh wait this isn't 40k.
>>
>>53476870
proof, before ghb they've said that each realm are unverse-size
>>
>>53476870
That's nice.

Where's a map of the landmasses.

Because we have a map of the entire solar system. Its not impossible.
>>
>>53476938

No. They said each realm is extremely vast, POSSIBLY infinite.

Here's the keywords. Imagine our earth. Now multiply it several times in size. MANY times. How do you think people will perceive it?
>>
>>53476979
>POSSIBLY infinite

So more random words to justify them not actually wanting limits so any writer can slap any random shit on the table and not have to consult existing lore.

Wait, we have a word for that. Lazy.
>>
>>53458056

Age of Sigmar is a piece of shit, but Cubicle 7's The One Ring system was pretty good. I am cautiously optimistic that they can salvage AoS's setting, since the primary problem with AoS is that everything is underdescribed and bland. Like, each of the nine realms have mainly been used as terrain effects for weird battlefields and other than some realms being home base to one alliance or another there is very little conception of how much territory one alliance controls in one realm as compared to another, what society in that realm is like and thus what would actually be lost if it were to fall to the forces of another faction, what impact the fall of one location in a realm would have on other locations in that realm or one realm on other realms, etc. etc. These are the kinds of bones I'd expect the guys behind TOR to put some meat on. If GW lets Cubicle 7 play with the setting and lets them do it long enough that their take on it becomes entrenched, they may actually be able to salvage Age of Sigmar.

It's still bullshit that they nuked the Old World, though. Could've just made a spin-off setting without building it on the ashes of the old one. No one felt the need to burn down Greyhawk when Dragonlance came along.
>>
>>53476977
Anon maps and logic and regular people get in the way of GW selling space marines and other bland Mary sues by taking the focus from them and shifting it to the people that have to live in the orc-infested places and how they do it. It might lead to people not buying stormcast!
On top of that, logic and history and landmasses get in the way of Billy painting his stormcasts purple and red with chaos symbols.
>>
>>53476746
Paracelsus was Swiss through and through. I had to google to find out who Agrippa was assuming that he wasn't a Roman.
Also
>Dietrich von Bern
>von Bern
You can't be serious...
>>
>>53476005
>But IIRC the DSA setting is not renaissance enaugh to be HRE, more high middle ages.

Huh? HRE was also a thing in the middle ages.
>>
>>53477316
>No one felt the need to burn down Greyhawk when Dragonlance came along.
Too bad, greyhawk deserves a proper burning down.
>>
>>53477470
And remained a thing after the Renaissance. This Bernd is fucking retarded.
>>
>>53458088
It's not like the previous incarnations were not also uncreative. It certainly was less bland, but far from a creative setting.
>>
>>53458169
More like Hammer meets Looney Toons.

GW doesn't seem to be able to pul out something on the scale of Planescape literary wise.
>>
>>53477504
I really don't understand this sentiment. AoS is basically a wargame set in Planescape, the most creative setting of all times. Explain your sentiment to me.
>>
>>53477549
AoS doesn't have the foundation the Planescape has. From authors to ideas put into its base. Yes at the outside it is about hopping from world to world meeting strange creatures and having wacky adventures. You absolutely can go about like this and it will be okay. But the deeper you go the more it grows in complexity and allows you a glimpse of forces and ideas that drive its universe/multiverse and a chance to become a part of one of the conflicts.
>>
>>53477549
>the most creative setting of all times
>poor WoW-Thor rip-off
>most creative
>>
>>53477446
you*re not going to be a pleb and argue that Dietrich von Bern was Swiss, are you?

>Paracelsus was Swiss through and through
solidly part of the Germanosphere

i stand to my claim that the 3 main strands of influence of classical fantasy are british (i am including irish), scandinavian and german (including but not limited to what is Switzerland today).
>>
File: 729840.jpg (217KB, 670x952px) Image search: [Google]
729840.jpg
217KB, 670x952px
>>53458056
I will stay with nips
>>
>>53478053
>scandinavian and german (including but not limited to what is Switzerland today).
That's why they didn't bring anything into genre?
>>
>>53458056
With what fucking Lore?
>>
>>53477470
you forgot what this thread is about.
I was arguing about the Renaissance aesthetic of WHFB.
But fine, HRE is not just a renaissance thing.
Yet DSA is still only partly based on it, again said country in DSA also includes NotArthurian England and Ireland for some reason.

Its a Kitchen sink dressed up as a down to earth setting.
>>
>>53477873

He meant planescape you mongoloid.
>>
>>53478095
>That's why they didn't bring anything into genre?
some of the historic influences have been listed, you can choose to pretend they are not relevant but it's not going to be very credible.

the Nibelungensaga clearly has echoes in Tolkien, be it dragons, named swords, dwarves or magic invisibility.
>>
>>53478461
>Its a Kitchen sink dressed up as a down to earth setting.
and as far as it is closer to mythical medieval europe than forgotten realms, i shall consider it superior
>>
>>53479069
well yeah, its closer than forgotten realms.
But forgotten realms is not what id call the antithesis of DSA.

Forgotten Realms is high powered nonsensical generic fantasy but its still generic fantasy.

Its essentialy a shitter version of the same them that DSA is.

That wasnt a base of comparison tho now was it?
I personally prefer WHFB to DSA as far as settings go, i just prefer the commitment to the moorcockian world instead of the "NotWhatever"
I mean at its core its still "NotGermany" and "NotFrance" but its so much more blatant that im more willing to forgive it, its like "lets make a fantasy version of the real world".

I like that.

Other than that, i enjoy stuff like Glorantha and Elderscrolls, some effort to actually come up with something new for once even if you use much of the borrowed dressing from classic fantasy.

I tried to do some of that in my own setting and my players didnt like it.
And im still salty about that, since on one hand, the game is primarily meant to be fun for the players, on the other hand i will not bend my setting backwards to turn it into DSA after i specifically told them that it isnt that.
>>
File: 1479458279959.gif (62KB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
1479458279959.gif
62KB, 260x200px
>>53458056
Why are people still shilling out to GW? They've not made a good product in years, and their last handful of releases have been direct downgrades.
>>
>AoS is shit and has no depth! There's no room for muh little man! What's the point of an RPG?!
>WHFB depth came from the RPG
>AoS is now getting an RPG

Sweating, fantashits?
>>
>>53479043
>some of the historic influences have been listed,
Without authors
>Nibelungensaga
Folklore
>>
>>53482106
>>WHFB depth came from the RPG
Top kek
>>
>>53479225
>I personally prefer WHFB to DSA as far as settings go,
same here. however, sometimes i have a crave for something more medieval rather tahn renaissance fantasy. harnmaster is cool but ultimately too low fantasy
>>
>>53483167
>Folklore
germanic folklore, yes. fantasy is based on british, scandinavian and germanic tales nonetheless
>>
>>53482106
Yes, I remember how little description there was as to the history of the world, the events that transpired, and how people lived.
Why Grom the paunch is only described as "that fay goblin that went batshit after eating a troll and attacked Ulthuan" and we don't know much beyond that.
There was also not an empire fairy tale warning their children not to wander off into the woods in the beastmen army book, nor was there that little vignette in Mordheim written in the pov of some mercs that got ambushed and killed by beastmen before they could even get to the god forsaken demon city of nastiness.
>>
>>53484214
>germanic folklore, yes.
It's not fanatsy, you stupid cuck.
>>
>>53484483
the claim was that fantasy has its roots in british, scandinavian and germanic tales. germany is one of the heartlands of classical tolkienesque fantasy.
>>
>>53484594
>germany is one of the heartlands of classical tolkienesque fantasy
Then name any single german author who write classical tolkienesque fantasy.
>>
>>53476746
>compare that with blue hair-dye, knife-ears, djinns, etc. in US and/or anime-influenced fantasy.

Djinn is middle eastern. I haven't even seen blue hair color outside of some anime and Irish myth and the original myths didn't even explain how elves looked like.
>>
>>53483185
Army books give you the information to arm am empire soldier, the rpg books Gabe you the information to BE an empire soldier. The amount of information is objectively deeper and is what AoS is sorely missing to change it from an ETERNAL WAR meme into an actual setting. If you were thinking he meant lore then yeah fair call.
>>
>>53484987
Get out of my post, Gabe.
>>
>>53458056

WHFB's setting IIRC got most of its fluff from its RPG. This is def gonna be a way to grow the setting, and I can't wait.
>>
>>53485052
>WHFB's setting IIRC got most of its fluff from its RPG.
Because setting itself have potential
>>
I'll skip AoS but may check out WFRP 4e, I'm not familiar with this company though.

>>53465858
>>53466002

And it was terrific. Imperfect, yes, but absolutely terrific and to date one of my favorite RPGs.

It in no way infringed upon 2nd Edition if you liked that and in fact probably sold 2nd Edition books as the vast majority of the fluff was still good and crunch wasn't terribly hard to roll over. I ran a 2nd Edition adventure in 3rd, no problems.
>>
>>53466002
That sounds as bad as when PSO got turned into a card game
>>
>>53485899
It was a test run for Edge of the Empire
>>
It'll fail because the only people who like AoS are those who want bare bones storyline.
>>
>>53484672
Just look at the german fantasy stuff.
>>
Cant wait to pick my playable race from between Humans, Aelves, Duardin, or Immortal Lightning-Powered Superhuman God.
>>
>>53487558
>Just look at the german fantasy stuff.
Such as..?
>>
>>53458056
Wow, we might finally get some fucking lore!
That's not me being sarcastic, I'm excited for this!
>inb4 muh battletomes
>>
>>53487736
Well you'll have to roll for it. Only one Sigmarine is allowed per party: the rest make up the Sigmarine's support staff: armor-polisher, alarm clock, cook, etc
>>
>>53478651
>Planescape
>cockney people wandering into doors, which have a 50% chance of causing instant death no save
>Every book is written 'in character' by a different person who has the exact same tone and attitude as all the other narrators
>15 factions with no discernible goals all fighting each other for power
>plots you get involved in that you have no ability to control or understand, for which you will get no explanation or reward
Such imagination. Much wow.
When people talk about Planescape being imaginative, all they mean is that DiTerlizzi is a great artist.
>>
>>53487736
DSA books
>>
>>53487850
They also mean that Torment was good, or that they had a fun campaign there.

Either way, saying AoS is set in a setting like a previously established creative setting makes AoS derivative. Who defends "AoS is bland and increative" with "but it's like this other creative work!?"
>>
>>53475865
Is it an industrialised mortuary or a factory that makes mortuaries? We need to ask the important questions here.
>>
>>53476823
Not him, but what sets me off is the wow aesthetic of all American fantasy. Ridiculous looking clothing, designer hairdos and trinkets color coded like fucking power rangers. Then everything has some flame aura or some other dbz bullshit, like muscles that you could never be able to achieve if you were human surviving on rations. It looks fucking childishly ridiculous, and makes verisimilitude break, left, right and center.
>>
>>53488666
>the devil has spoken.
This, a 100 times this.
>>
>>53459755
Moron, retard.
>>
>>53488666
Cunt detected
>>
>>53490919
American detected. Couldn't let anyone have a differing opinion without making sure that everyone knew he exists as well. Because that is important. Not a meaningful argument. Not contribution to meaningful discussion. No, the thing that is important is that world knows you exist. You and your miserable brains that could only come up with such thrilling post as that.
>>
>>53490614
Nice to meet you, i am in turn anon.
>>
>>53491463
Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of my own awesomeness. Next time your shitty country is in trouble, don't come crying to the "International Community" i.e. America, to come save your sorry ass.
>>
>>53491511
>don't come crying to the "International Community" i.e. America
okay. and next time you're playing tolkienesque fantasy, you please remember that you're escaping into not!europe in your imagination.

anyway, you might be awesome and all but given that you took that anon's bait, it looks less impressive than it could have been otherwise. seems the term american fantasy has struck home. anyway, this US-style fantasy just isn't for me, one reason why i can't into D&D. it's not that i think it's objectively inferior, no judgement implied, I just can't immerse myself as well into settings that aren't well-grounded in mythical europe. YMMV.
>>
I thought AOS was British?

Also, when I think "US-Style" I think Conan and Gray Mouser.
>>
>>53458056
>Role-playing in Planescape without the fun bits of Planescape

Sounds kinda boring.
>>
>>53458056
They want to do something fallout style, from what I've heard. Very soon after the Season of War. Sounds promising if you ask me.
>>
I don't care much. The setting is awful and there's a new WFRP on the way.
>>
>>53491511
>still cannot provide meaningful contribution to the thread
At least we know anon personally is responsible for the safety of the world.

Oh, wait. American men better than you are the ones whose accomplishments you are trying to steal and show as your own.

So far you have
>provided no meaningful input to anything
>acted like the Valor of men better than you somehow protects your whiny ass from criticism

Behold, a fat American non-contributor to his society. Be at awe.
>>
>>53458088
>setting is boring, its not fleshed out!
>new product will flesh out the setting
>NO ITS A BORING SETTING
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>53474365
Good to know the bantz between Germany and Austria are alive and well

I do recall once hearing about Austrians described as "German-speaking Hungarians" by Germans, but I don't know how true that is
>>
>>53491919
yes but it's pretty-much influenced by WOW-style aesthetics.

>Also, when I think "US-Style" I think Conan and Gray Mouser.
not representative for what US fantasy RPG community has been publishing the last 10-20 years

>>53474365
citation needed

>>53492328
it's a digg at the schluchtenscheißer, don't take it at face value
>>
>>53492905
>it's a digg at the schluchtenscheißer, don't take it at face value

I know it's not really true, because I AM Hungarian. I was just curios if that's an actual piece of bantz.
>>
>>53458229
They made Qin: The Warring States, which is full of flavor, but with shitty mechanics.
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.