[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am going to do a fantasy campaign with NO HUMANS for a change,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: an image from tumblr.jpg (195KB, 400x488px) Image search: [Google]
an image from tumblr.jpg
195KB, 400x488px
I am going to do a fantasy campaign with NO HUMANS for a change, since i did mostly only humans before.

What are some ideas for humanoid races to use? I'd want to go with 3 or 4 main families, each having a number of variations.
pls no Human +1 elf bullshittery.
>>
Bird people living up in the mountains and worshipping the sun, tough beetle people down in the mountains that're awesome blacksmiths, forest barbarian elk people with big horns and bad attitudes, and then of course plants.
>>
Families, huh?

Artificials (golems - abandoned by their creators, some made to kill, some made to do gardening, etc), Narture-people (plant and beast-men, probably without even the -men part), Evolved Ones (take a smart animal and make it smarter - bee empire-builders, crow nomads, dolphin barbarians...), Magic Ones (elementals and shiet)

Am i going too far?
>>
>>53439839
no, this is pretty good.
I didnt think about going this far in the first place with families, but it seems to be better than what i had in mind
>>
File: typical lorwyn elf.jpg (74KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
typical lorwyn elf.jpg
74KB, 312x445px
>>53439788
MtG once went with a no-humans fairytale setting called Lorwyn.
It had deer-like elves obsessed with beauty, telepathically linked gnomes called the Kithkin, wizardly merfolk, fire elemental Flamekin, insect like fairies, colossal giants, extremely varied and cartoonishly curious goblins called Boggarts and blue gooey shapeshifters called changelings.
>>
>>53439859
>insect like fairies
thanks for giving my a really bad/awesome idea
>>
>>53439788
Amourpheous slug squids with advanced medicinal knowledge since they abduct other races for medical experiments. Can fire bone/tooth spears with enough power to pierce plate.

A bunch of goat like people with ideals about perfection and beauty. Their society is about grand architecture and maintaining a healthy, strong body..

Former god/s personal army turned mortal after said god was killed, now they roam the land as raiders and terrors as they have been introduced to mortal concepts such as food, warmth and eternal death. Insectoid in nature but humanoid in form.

Elves but they have horns but they really, really, really, reaaally like killing people.
>>
>>53439788
Elves, dwarves, orcs.
There, that's already 3.
>>
File: 1461377190835.jpg (133KB, 739x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1461377190835.jpg
133KB, 739x1081px
>>53439788
I've always been partial to rock and/or plant races, myself. Ents, golems, or some combination therein.
>>
>>53439814
>Beetlefolk
PRAISE KEPRHI
>>
>[animal]-folk
>>
>>53439788
>>53440050
Furries.
Now you have over 100+ to pick.

Give an extra bonus if they pick an uncommon race, such as Otter or Pig.
>>
File: NoFun.jpg (89KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
NoFun.jpg
89KB, 488x516px
>>53439788
>NO HUMANS for a change, since i did mostly only humans before
So you're a nofun contrarian?
>>
>>53440231
If he did mostly humans the last time, then maybe this time around he's trying something completely different?
>>
File: thisplusthat.png (657KB, 4677x3307px) Image search: [Google]
thisplusthat.png
657KB, 4677x3307px
>>53439788

remember to do an elaborate cross-breeding chart.
>>
>>53439788
take the facets of your world and align a race with one or more of each. whether that's elements of the landscape, cultural quirks you'd like to include, or physiological or technological proficiencies. Make sure each has a unique place in your world; while not to most "realistic" approach it'll serve the mechanical and narrative balance of exploring the world a little better. Beyond that once you have some ideas of them individually consider how they interact with eachother to make unique relations and mold a social landscape.

Land sea sky makes a good dichotomy. Individualist v collectivist societies. pacifists and warmongers. the strong, the smart, the practical the high minded, etc...
>>
>>53440262
Both are contrarian.
>>
File: 1441106796721.jpg (221KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1441106796721.jpg
221KB, 1024x1024px
>>53439859
The last time Magic fluff was good. God I miss it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.