[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ I'm currently planning a prohibition mafia type

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Konnikova-Mafia-1200.jpg (241KB, 1200x853px) Image search: [Google]
Konnikova-Mafia-1200.jpg
241KB, 1200x853px
Hey /tg/ I'm currently planning a prohibition mafia type of campaign right now I'm planning on using this system called gangbusters but it's very much in-depth into various things like taxes, wages, and etc. that I feel it'd be overwhelming for the party for something that I want to do for fun. Is there any other system that's simpler for my players to learn?
>>
>>53432734
Before you start getting suggestions for systems, explain what you hope to achieve. Are you looking for frantic shootouts, resource-building, or a slice-of-life Sopranos game?
>>
>>53432792
What I have in-mind for the campaign is basically an all out gang war with some goodfellas kind of moments sprinkled in.
>>
>>53432834
Right, but consider things like how lethal you want the game to be. Will the players be able to get into cool shootouts and shoot their way out, or is a single gunshot wound deadly to PCs?
>>
>>53432947
I plan/hope to have character deaths to 0. At the worse a PC will be out of commission for a while.
>>
>>53432975
So there's really no stakes then?
What's the feel of the campaign? You said an all out gang war but who are the player characters? Are they just soldatos? Maybe they're caporegimes to an NPC Don? Or are they all Dons going against each other?
There are a lot of possibilities here.
>>
>>53432947
I think this guy is on the right track. Combat should be lethal and have life or death consequences for characters. You know what cool shootouts get a lot of? Police and newspaper attention. Bad for business.
If your characters aren't worried about death, then assassination threats will mean nothing. They won't be worried or paranoid about hitmen being after them. They won't have any care about taking your game seriously if they know their character cannot be killed.
>>
>>53434309
I'm really going for an action/comedy movie feel if that makes any sense. The PCs are basically soldiers for their Don. For more info the PCs will be part of Al Capone's gang while going against the Irish Mafia to gain full control over Chicago's underground. As the campaign pans out they'll become made men.
>>
>>53432734
>that I feel it'd be overwhelming for the party
So what you're saying is you think your party are fucking retarded? Is that what you're saying to me?
>>
>>53434407
Not so much they're retarded so much as I want something simpler to make it more "fun" than have them remember to pay their PCs' taxes
>>
>>53434441
to explain further the party has little to no experience with TTRPGs
I've thought about FATE but wanted to see and explore other options before the campaign starts.
>>
>>53434355
Okay, for accuracy, they should become made men in order to become soldiers, they're pretty much synonymous. First session should be earning their bones.
You can balance action and comedy and still include lethality as long as you don't penalize death too heavily for the actual players. Remember, mob deaths, especially in fiction, could often be ironic or even funny.
>>
>>53434355
And maybe don't name drop Capone in order to not limit yourself to real life history. Just a suggestion because personally, I would feel tethered by the use of a real historical example.
>>
>>53434494
>>53434564
Duly Noted
>>
>dm concerned about keeping things light and fun for his players
>/tg/ immediately jumps up his ass

Never change

OP, if you're worried about complexity, can you just abbreviate or condense all the rules?

There's also always GURPs for more narrativistic shit.
>>
>>53434690
I thought about that but then I thought it felt like I might as well play FATE. I've learned today don't use a system that hasn't been updated/had a new edition with 20+ years. Yes I'm not a very bright man
>>
>>53434823
GURPS has been pretty much continuously updated since 4e's release in 2017. The issue is that all of the little "stealth errata" is tucked away in books, or in the Power-Ups line. The system's solid and doesn't really need updating besides a few tweaks and the little stealth errata.
>>
File: Naruhodo.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Naruhodo.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
>>53435042
I'll definitely look into anon thanks for the help.
>>
>>53432734
Maybe A Dirty World, it's made for noir style stuff and old school mafia shenanagens are pretty close, and it is fairly uncrunchy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.