[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /tg/, I've got no money and an urge to spend a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: wargames.jpg (43KB, 281x393px) Image search: [Google]
wargames.jpg
43KB, 281x393px
Alright /tg/, I've got no money and an urge to spend a lot of it... which Wargame do I get into?

Not going for X-wings or Armada. I'm going for an actual Wargame. 8th 40k looks interesting, but I'm holding out to see what Orks can do. The others I'm looking at are Infinity, Fantasy Warhammer, and Warmahordes.

Which has the most balanced Meta? Which has the cheapest models? And which has the largest community?
>>
Infinity is probably my favourite wargame I'm playing at the moment. Individual models are somewhat expensive but army sizes are quite small, so building a functional force can be relatively cheap. It's a game with a lot of tactical depth and complexity to it, along with a wonderfully weird selection of units thanks to the odd sci-fi mashup universe.
>>
>>53429414
You should get into one that you'll actually be able to play in your area. Figure out what people play at gaming stores and clubs you're willing to travel to and pick one of those.

Otherwise you're just buying miniatures.
>>
>>53429481
This, basically.

Generally 40k's pretty popular, and in the US Warmachine/Horde's a close second, Infinity third. I can find games for any those with some effort though.
>>53429414
40k's cheapest on a model by model basis (plus easiest to find used), but more models are needed.

Infinity's got a low barrier to entry in pricing (but not hobbying because of the metal models). 70 bucks can really stretch far with it. The interfaction balance for Infinity's the most palatable for me between the big three.

Any of those games is far easier to get into with a friend and/or splitting the two player starter.

Also, Malifaux exists, but I don't like it. Same with Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander, and the various Warhammer Fantasy Equivalents/alternatives like Kings of War, ninth age, and Frostgrave that people have been pushing since Age of Sigmar.
>>
>>53429481
Duly noted. I'll look around and see what's being played.

>>53429433
>>53429608
Tell me more about Infinity. Does it have lore I can obsess over, a faction I can get in an autistic argument about, and are the options relatively balanced? Are these even relevant questions?
>>
>>53429858

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Infinity_(wargame)

This gives you a pretty good primer on the basic fluff.

The game is pretty well balanced in my experience, although I've never really touched the competitive scene.
>>
>>53429931
Thanks. I'll read through this. For now it looks like it'll be whatever's popular first, then Infinity. I've got a guy who can hook me up and get me models at Vendor pricing, I'll see what he has.

Any counterarguments for other games?
>>
>>53429858
>Does it have lore I can obsess over
Not really. It's not bad, but not nearly as extensive as 40k which had some thirty years to beat it. Some bits of it are excerpts of propaganda pieces, travel brochures, interviews, Oaths and chants made, etc that really tie it together as a web of political competition and ties but there's really only two books and a Manga to go on beyond some long paragraph unit descriptions.
>a faction I can get in an autistic argument about
Between the futuristic cyberpunk, genetic modifications, occassional girl dressed kind of like a stripper, theology based units/factions like Military Orders and Islam, cat and fox ladies, and guys who use soldiers that were children of women who were intentionally attacked/seeded with a virus while pregnant to live on a harsh alien planet against them I'm sure you can find something that fits that description for you to make an argument about.

>options relatively balanced?
Yeah, very few models overall are left in the dust, mostly it comes down to proxying your forth "warband" type model as a chain rifle instead of a shotgun or regular rifle because the other option is cheaper and more appropriate for the role. Proxying weapon loadouts is lenient in the game. Between factions overall, only a sub faction of a main faction is considered significantly weaker than most others overall, but it still has many good units and is mostly held back by a lack of variety for an optimal core.
>>
>>53430227

The RPG is adding a lot of worldbuilding, although less in terms of narrative stuff.
>>
>>53430319
Yeah, I read some of that. Particularly like the part of the Space Station over Svalarheima. Also, the Manga helped out too.

But overall, I feel like it's not exactly "obsession" material.
>>
>>53429608
>40k's cheapest on a model by model basis
But several of the games you mentioned are cheaper on a model by model basis.
>>
>>53430768
I meant if you compare non character units, ten Ork boyz you bought second hand on eBay or whatever will still be less than the price you'd pay for a single grunt. Sure, if you compare a Yan Huo to a similarly sized Space Marine Captain or Trollkin the Yan huo's usually cheaper.
>>
>>53430915
You mentioned Dropzone, Kings of War, and Frostgrave which all have cheaper per model costs for the regular grunts if you are going by individual models.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.